Its amazing what Hot Wheels can do

Satty

My son was getting extremely rambunctious (probably the first 2.5 year old to ever be that way) so I pulled out his gigantic Hot Wheels collection. Barely a peep out of him since, he's on the office floor playing with all the cars, occasionally making "Vroom, Vroom" noises. His favorites seem to be the Plymouth Prowler and BMW 850ci. Most of "his" Hot Wheels are my old ones, including what appears to have been a Citation hatchback that I de-roofed at some point.

I used to set up towns outside in the dirt with mine. When I was 15, I played with them for the last time. In an old unused shed where we lived at the time, I set up my usual little town on the dirt floor, with roads, houses represented by bricks or pieces of board, and my Matchbox cars. When I was through playing for the day, I went and got a five gallon bucket of water and "flooded" the town. I left them as they were and never went back. At 15, I was more interested in real cars and itching to get my license. Now I wish I had them back.

XP715 is prob. one of only four or five people that has

ever seen a good chunk of my Hot Wheels, Matchbox,

Majorette, 1:36, 1:24 & 1:18 car model collection.

They're all in great shape, NOT beat up. About 70% is

at my parents house, and of that only about half is still

on "display" in glass cases. That still makes over 3000

pieces.... As much as I love my collection, I don't think

I will ever have the time or money to properly display

it all at once.

Some times when I do the math of how much I've

spent on all of it I kind of wish I had saved my money

instead since I'd have a good downpayment on a house.

Edited by Sixty8panther

I will vouch for Sixty8; his collection really is THAT huge. Anybody who thinks they have a lot of Hot wheels & die casts needs to visit his parents house so they can see how much a lot really is. And I just got to see what was loose; according to him there's boxes & boxes of ones still in the packaging in the attic.

As for me, I like Hot Wheels and such, but am beginning the process of thinning out my collection to drum up funds for one of my true collecting passions: antique large-scale toys. Smith-Miller trucks and Doepke construction toys are my two favorites (a 1948 Doepke Adams Motor Grader should be at my door by Monday afternoon). Pedal cars too, if they are original and not cheesy modern Chinese repros. Will probably be picking another up tomorrow afternoon. Some day I'll have the space to adequately display it all.

SO, if anybody has any of that stuff they may be willing to part with, PM me. Also, if anybody is interested in any of the Hot wheels I'd like to get rid of, either PM me, or if I'm feeling ambitious I could post up what I have in the Member Marketplace section. Maybe we could trade?

Should I ever have children, my worst fear is that they will find my NIB diecast car collection and will play with them!

A valid concern. I know I was pretty rough on some of my father's Matchbox Models of Yesteryear when I was younger. High shelves didn't deter me; just carried a kitchen chair over and grabbed them. Might I suggest investing in some sort of lockable display case until they get older?

You guys may not have anything to worry about.

image066.jpg

The y-axis represents the chances of procreating

The x-axis represents the size of the toy collection

As you can see from the graph, the larger the toy collection, the less likely the chance to procreate. Same thing goes with comic books and computers.

image066.jpg

As you can see from the graph, the larger the toy collection, the less likely the chance to procreate. Same thing goes with comic books and computers.

:yes: ze gr4ph ezzplaizz it!

My hot wheels / matchbox cars fill up a big popcorn container and are still in my closet back home. A mint green 1965 Mustang convertible was one of my favorites. I think a few of them passed onto me from my dad, and I plan on passing them onto my kids someday.

I used to set up towns outside in the dirt with mine. When I was 15, I played with them for the last time. In an old unused shed where we lived at the time, I set up my usual little town on the dirt floor, with roads, houses represented by bricks or pieces of board, and my Matchbox cars. When I was through playing for the day, I went and got a five gallon bucket of water and "flooded" the town. I left them as they were and never went back. At 15, I was more interested in real cars and itching to get my license. Now I wish I had them back.

Oh come on, they didn't have Hot Wheels/Match Box cars back in the 1940's. :rotflmao:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

image066.jpg

:lol:

Most of my toy cars were by Majorette, and their build quality was outstanding compared to the few Hot Wheels I owned.

The Majorette cars were really well detailed. Plus they were the only one making models of the super sexy FWD Olds Omega. :P

I haven't seen new Majorette cars for years now, Target used to carry a lot of them years ago.

I still have my collection of them from when I was a kid, and add to it when I find something cool.

*nods*

Same here!

Heh ... as a kid, I would get my cars out, clear off my bed, and set up a "city" of sorts. I had a gas station, a couple businesses, a number of homes, etc. ... and I would play for HOURS. I think I still have all of my buildings packed away somewhere.... he he.

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...MidW Event = 04/04/09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Don't you remember?" ... Starship ... 'We Built This City'