Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

304 HP V6 Camaro: 29 MPG

NOS2006

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevy-announce...for-camaro.html

Chevrolet announced EPA fuel economy figures for its reborn muscle car this morning: Up to 29 mpg on the highway for a six-cylinder Camaro equipped with either an automatic or manual transmission. The V8 SS model will be capable of 25 mpg on the highway with its automatic and 24 with the manual transmission.

Around town, the EPA has rated the V6 Camaro at 18 mpg for the automatic and 17 mpg for the manual. The V8 is rated at 16 mpg regardless of transmission.

Those figures are impressive given the V6’s 304-horsepower output. The V8, available on the Camaro SS, makes 400-horsepower with the six-speed automatic and 426-horsepower with the six-speed manual.

For comparison, Dodge’s 376-horsepower Challenger and Ford’s 300-horsepower Mustang earn 23 mpg on the highway with their manual transmissions. In six-cylinder form, the automatic-only, 250-horse Challenger is rated at 25 mpg and the manual, 210-horse Mustang is rated at 26 mpg.

not bad, hopefully real world driving highway fuel economy won't be much different from that

Depends on how hard you put your foot into it.

Tire inflation, clean oil, clean air filter and the number of passengers routinely carried will impact that figure.

Stuff in the trunk.

I wonder if keeping it supremely clean and waxed would help in keeping the numbers up. (?)

If I weren't spooked so bad last Fall, with sky-high gas prices, two accidents, and our 10% salary reduction working against my Sierra, I'd be ordering one of these to replace it instead of driving my Cobalt.

If I weren't spooked so bad last Fall, with sky-high gas prices, two accidents, and our 10% salary reduction working against my Sierra, I'd be ordering one of these to replace it instead of driving my Cobalt.

I understand, but hey look at the bright side, you can still get it later.

Those numbers are impressive. Let us see how it will perform.

I understand, but hey look at the bright side, you can still get it later.

Those numbers are impressive. Let us see how it will perform.

Yeah... that's impressive mileage, for both the 6 and 8, considering the size of the car. I'd love to buy a new car, financially, I can do it. I just started a new 1 yr contract last week, same rate as my previous 6 month, and the tech job market is much stronger than others these days, but I'd rather accumulate cash and it's nice not having a car payment (my Jeep is approaching 100k miles but is in great shape), and I'd hate to buy something new and have it sit outside (3 cars now w/ only a 2 car garage here in Phoenix). I'm waiting until 2010 until I seriously consider a new car.

Edited by moltar

But I thought Zeta was a fat heavy pig, a CAFE liability, and didn't deserve to live. Am I missing something?

Great news. I don't know what this car has to do to please some of the doubters around here. Maybe a special catalytic converter that allows the Camaro to emit pheromones from its exhaust.

But I thought Zeta was a fat heavy pig, a CAFE liability, and didn't deserve to live. Am I missing something?

Great news. I don't know what this car has to do to please some of the doubters around here. Maybe a special catalytic converter that allows the Camaro to emit pheromones from its exhaust.

Wear a blue and white rondel?

Wear an H in a trapezoid?

Not have a b-pillar?

Have a dashboard swathed in leather made from the thighs of young Cuban virgins?

the v6 manual drinks gas in town. 17? seriously, the weight of the car must be making the engine work its ass off to get moving, but then the top gear must be geared for really low rpm.

in any case, if it averages to 20 combined, that would be fine for me. 300hp and 20 mpg? nice. those mpg figures should pass on to the 2010 g8 as well.

Wear a blue and white rondel?

Wear an H in a trapezoid?

Not have a b-pillar?

Have a dashboard swathed in leather made from the thighs of young Cuban virgins?

But RWD<<<<FWD in terms of fuel economy according to GM's own experts.

Cafe = death of RWD according to GM's savants.

Zeta is suckerz and hence is on death bed according to GM's prophets.

Cars = Appliance therefore no frills and hence FWD according to GM's gurus.

A light comparison:

Malibu LTZ V6 Auto - 3649 lb 17-26 mpg

Camaro LT2 V6 Auto - 3719 lb 18-29 mpg. Where is the argument for FWD>>>>>>RWD in terms of fuel economy?

I'm surprised at the Camaro's EPA ratings. That's good for GM and good marketing material. I wonder if it will achieve those numbers in real world driving. I also wonder if there have been any sacrifices to achieve those numbers, such as tall gearing, lower rolling resistance tires, etc.

I'm surprised at the Camaro's EPA ratings. That's good for GM and good marketing material. I wonder if it will achieve those numbers in real world driving. I also wonder if there have been any sacrifices to achieve those numbers, such as tall gearing, lower rolling resistance tires, etc.

In some ways new EPA ratings are real world conditions compared to the archaic ratings which were based on the 55mph speed limit. Come to think of it the actual driving conditions would be pretty close.

I do not know about low resistance tires.

The one noticeable difference between the CTS and Camaro which use the same 6-speed auto is the final drive ratio of the CTS is 4.06 while the Camaro has a final drive ratio of 3.27. That will make a significant difference in highway cruising. While in the city driving both cars fare the same.