Computer Upgrade Time

So I think it's finally time to upgrade my computer. I haven't done anything to it since I built it after all, and the 7950 GX2 is showing its age.

I've been shopping around lately for a good replacement that $200 or under.

EVGA 896-P3-1262-AR GeForce GTX 260 Superclocked Edition 896MB

imageview.jpg

Seems to be a nice combination of performance and value. However I'm open to other options if anyone's got some to recommend, since I'm just shopping around at the moment.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814121288

radeon 4870.. could say it's on par with the one you chose...with a tad less memory but also ~$30 less

not the same cards, but close, a review

http://www.nvnews.net/articles/holiday_200...ted/index.shtml

some early reviews of the renamed 9800 to the gts2X0 whatever it is, shows better power consumption (matured process) than the 9800s

4870 1gb will beat the the 260 216.

Honestly all the current stuff is garbage. Im waiting for the First Batch of DX11 cards this fall right around the win7 release.

4870 1gb will beat the the 260 216.

Honestly all the current stuff is garbage. Im waiting for the First Batch of DX11 cards this fall right around the win7 release.

I'm kinda thinking of doing that too....

the next gen of cards should be good step up in performance... even though the 40nm process won't have low Voltage leakage... like High-K processes have limited.

or maybe wait for the "4890" in april, from the refined 55nm process i think the speed increase over the 4870 is roughly 100mhz and almost 4ghz ram, quad ~975mhz from the GDDR5... is what is being shown in "leaked test products".

http://amdvsintel.com/article/amd-radeon-h...benchmarks.html

Well see that's thing thing about the computer market. There's always something new, bigger, stronger, faster, more expensive just a few months away. :P

yes yes... but you were asking for ideas... we give you them. :)

I would wait if I were you, but if you need something now it would be the HD 4870 1GB hands down. Nvidia can't stay price competitive with ATI at the moment.

I haven't been keeping up with GPU's lately, but I believe ATI will be releasing an HD 4890 soon to compete with the GTX280, and undoubtedly nail it on pricing.

I'd probably just got with the GTX260 because you're using an nVidia chipset, and you already have the nVidia drivers. Plus, the 4870's in the similar price range exhaust hot air back into your case, as opposed to the nVidia which sends most of it out the back.

And you can snag a free copy of CoD:WaW too! If it's a regular copy, you can sell the serial number for about 20-30 bucks on eBay!

I did end up going with the GTZ260. Partly for COD, but mainly because it's a superior design (and 5 star rated). Plus it's got a rebate on it, and best of all...it's made by EVGA I love their products, support and lifetime warranty.

I think this should tide me over for a while until I eventually build a whole new comp. ^_^

WIN!!!! there out of stock but i secured my order! dell had a 30% off coupon on accessories and this wasn't exempt!

Capture.jpg

Sweet Deal, I told everyone DELL was good for a Deal! :neenerneener:

:D

so... since i can still edit my order i changed it to 2 so next month some time when they get them in stock i will have a i7 @ 4.4 ghz 12gb of ram raid 0 SAS (Serial attached scsi FTW!!) drives and slied gtx 295's and of course a 5.25 floppy drive!!

so... since i can still edit my order i changed it to 2 so next month some time when they get them in stock i will have a i7 @ 4.4 ghz 12gb of ram raid 0 SAS (Serial attached scsi FTW!!) drives and slied gtx 295's and of course a 5.25 floppy drive!!

:rotflmao: You crack me up with the 5.25 floppy drive. Might as well add in that 8" floppy drive you have in the closet! :)

I have decided Spring of 2010 is the time for me to buy / Build a new Dell workstation for my home. Then it will fly by using SSD drives. :)

Course for my work, I just got delivered an AMS500 array, single shelf with 15 1TB 10,000rpm sata drives. Will run it in a raid 6 state so really about 12TB of storage. Should be a blast to play with. :D

if i could find working 8in floppys hell yeah!!!! F'in vinyl record sized disk that jiggle beat dvds any day.

Sure those aren't SAS drives? I understand raid 5 but 6 is just crazy..

any way here for proof why 15k rpm sas drives are better than 10k sata raptors....

raptors.png

raptors 10k Sata

sas.png

SAS 15k

Cool Stats, thanks capricman.

I just looked on the box as I have to build this thing tomorrow. They actually say 1TB 10K rpm SAS drives. Going to be a fun time tomorrow :)

I'm debating whether or not to hang on to the old card as a spare or for a really cheap build, or just throw it up on eBay.

DF, does your current system have room for that card? If so then think about Multi Monitor. That works great.

DF, does your current system have room for that card? If so then think about Multi Monitor. That works great.

In a pinch probably. I could support dual screen now, and believe me I want to, but the way my crappy desk is designed I only have room for one monitor. A new desk is on the list, followed by an Acer monitor. :P

In a pinch probably. I could support dual screen now, and believe me I want to, but the way my crappy desk is designed I only have room for one monitor. A new desk is on the list, followed by an Acer monitor. :P

How about a couple of them Nice Outlet Store Flat screens from DELL with their wall mounting kit. Then you would not have to change desks? Think of 4 flat panels on the wall so you just sit down and look straight ahead as the four. That would be the Bomb. One big wall screen cut in 4ths.

I currently have dual 21" monitors and it rocks. Have not been able to convince the boss I should have 2 more so I could go quad. :P

Depends on the price. I'm not as picky with monitor brands so long as the picture quality is good and the price is right. Currently newegg's got some pretty sweet deals on `9" widescreen from Acer and Hanns-G for $120 and free shipping. I'm not looking to buy right now though.

I doubt you'll get much for the old nVidia card, so I'd just keep it for a cheap build, or in case the GTX260 fails.

I thought that too, but I watched one of them on eBay sell for 125. Who the hell would pay that much I don't know, but it's something to think about. :lol::scratchchin: