Pontiac G8 bucks sales trend

This from a guy that drives something that looks like a CHUBBY Chevy Cavalier ...

chubby.jpg

Let me get this straight...you're countering his claim of ugly bucktooth beaver Grand Prix with "Your GT f@#kING O looks like a chubby Cavalier"? I just want to make sure I am really interpreting this correctly.

In my experience only internet morons that know little to nothing about the GTO mention the Cavalier in discussions about the GTO. They universally admit to never driving one, or even riding in one. Also, the GTO is an outstanding car with a loyal following, which is more than can be said for the Cavalier and the GP. GMs mistake was not having a new GTO ready to build on the foundation that the 04-06 built.

It's not all that hard to understand, when I do see one, I point it out, and 9 times out of ten, they say "Really????? Looks like a fat Cavalier ..." I just smile and drive on ...

That really says a lot more about the people you run with than it does about the car. Either that, or Californians are just smarter people in general since we were able to rise above the unwashed masses and discern that GTO =/= Cavalier...because, omygod, it's like sooooooooooo hard to do?

In the Auto world, regular people are what counts, it's why GM is in the pickle it's in. It's all about perception ...

For volume models. Not niche vehicles.

In my experience only internet morons that know little to nothing about the GTO mention the Cavalier in discussions about the GTO. They universally admit to never driving one, or even riding in one. Also, the GTO is an outstanding car with a loyal following, which is more than can be said for the Cavalier and the GP. GMs mistake was not having a new GTO ready to build on the foundation that the 04-06 built.

Funny, GTO people I know, don't consider the 2004 - 2006 GTO, a GTO, but hey, they are Old School. GM's mistake was not making it retro, to appease the Old School boys and girls ...

Honestly, I have a hard time fathoming how someone is simply incapable of discerning the difference between a tiny compact and a large coupe. Especially when the profiles aren't even close to being the same, no similarities in character lines, grilles, taillights, etc. I just don't get it.

That really says a lot more about the people you run with than it does about the car. Either that, or Californians are just smarter people in general since we were able to rise above the unwashed masses and discern that GTO =/= Cavalier...because, omygod, it's like sooooooooooo hard to do?

For volume models. Not niche vehicles.

Oh come on, you're not all that California ... I know a Mid-Westerner when I see one ...

When you stop and think about it, the GTO, Solstice, and G8, have laid a very solid foundation for the niche brand GM says that it wants Pontiac to be.

The owners of these cars are very happy and are looking for more offerings in the same vein.

Sounds like the basis for a focused brand to me.

When you stop and think about it, the GTO, Solstice, and G8, have laid a very solid foundation for the niche brand GM says that it wants Pontiac to be.

The owners of these cars are very happy and are looking for more offerings in the same vein.

Cannot disagree here.

Meh, why not?

Many Californians are from somewhere else.

Yup, and many people move out here from elsewhere because people tend to agglomerate in areas according to shared culture, mentality and values. Hell, back in Indiana I was very "California," though I just didn't know it. The only real "assimilation" I have undergone regards speech vocabulary/accent/patterns and social norms--not that the latter was hard to do as I found the midwest "nosiness"--oops "friendliness"--to be very irritating and rude my whole life.

The irony of being called out by "da Borgermeister Meisterborger" certainly is not lost on me.

Edited by Croc

I agree as well. I think expanding the G8 out with wagon, and eventually a coupe once things turn around (I know this will never happen).

The Solstice has already been expanding into a targa coupe, but I think a shooting brake type Solstice targa would fix some issues with storage.

Yup, and many people move out here from elsewhere because people tend to agglomerate in areas according to shared culture, mentality and values. Hell, back in Indiana I was very "California," though I just didn't know it. The only real "assimilation" I have undergone regards speech vocabulary/accent/patterns and social norms--not that the latter was hard to do as I found the midwest "nosiness"--oops "friendliness"--to be very irritating and rude my whole life.

The irony of being called out by "da Borgermeister Meisterborger" certainly is not lost on me.

I would have to disagree, you can take the boy out of the Mid-West, but you can't take the Mid-West out of the boy ...

Same goes for me, I've lived in the USA 30 years, yet there are some things I do or say that are strictly German or in a broader sense European ... It's nothing to be ashamed about ... Here I'm told I now speak German with a Texas accent, odd since I don't detect a Texas accent when I speak English, I worked very hard to remove the Texas accent from my speech ...

It's not all that hard to understand, when I do see one, I point it out, and 9 times out of ten, they say "Really????? Looks like a fat Cavalier ..." I just smile and drive on ...

Funny, I've had mine for 2 years now and have never heard anyone confuse it with a Cavalier. But I'm sure drivers of Cavaliers always hear comments when about how nice their car is too right? Like when I'm going through a drive though and people say, wow, nice car. Or how people driving in a Nissan Titan tell me about how sweet their GTO was. Or the guy in a 65 Mustang Convertible telling me he has a GTO at home. Just admit it, you have an axe to grind with Holden. That is where your hate for the G8, and GTO stems from. If it was a design by GM Europe and not Holden, you would probably own one.

And also, I've heard someone say the new Camaro looks like a Mustang. So just because people say something, doesn't make it true.

Funny, GTO people I know, don't consider the 2004 - 2006 GTO, a GTO, but hey, they are Old School. GM's mistake was not making it retro, to appease the Old School boys and girls ...

They tried that little experiment for 20 years It's called BUICK, and you see where that got us.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM