REPORT: Union chief says plans to build Chevrolet Orlando in U.S. on hold

orlando-concept-580x-3-4.jpg

General Motors is in survival mode right now; cutting staff, closing plants, and reworking contracts. The last thing the General likely wants to cut back on is product, but even new vehicles aren't immune to the chopping block.

Automotive News is reporting that GM has postponed production of the Chevrolet Orlando at its Detroit Hamtramck facility. Local United Auto Workers chief George McGregor informed AN that plant management informed him that the Orlando and a planned Opel variant will not be built at the facility later in the year. GM has neither declined or confirmed the Orlando's postponement (it could simply be built elsewhere), but North American President Troy Clarke mentioned at the Detroit Auto Show in January that the seven seat MPV would be headed for production in 2011.

McGregor did say that plans were full speed ahead for the Chevy Volt, however, as the range-extender EV is scheduled for production in November 2010. Both the Volt and the Orlando are based on GM's global Delta C segment architecture, which will underpin everything from the Chevy Cruze to the Opel Flextreme.

Autoblog

Dumb.

A lot of people would go for this car in North America. It's not my cup of tea (the HHR is though), mainly I'm not a fan of the interior styling, but people who gave up their Minivans for fuel economy, like my Father, would probably buy this car very quickly. We know that Ford is bringing the Euro C-Max over, I don't think GM can afford to be behind the 8-Ball on this. Maybe if times get better we'll see it but I think that just canning things like that mini-Diesel and this are not the way to succeed. GM needs to learn that you can't cut product and innovation from divisions that will survive anyway (Chev, GMC, Cadillac) and have those cuts lead to being competitive.

To me this vehicle seems redundant with the wonderful HHR and the brand new Equinox already covering the 5-seater MPV market. This will never be a suitable replacement for the HHR, in my eyes. Orlando is not an ugly car, it's just different and clearly not as special as HHR. The only way it could fit is if the HHR goes out of production, and I believe that vehicle still has at least a few years left of market sweetness before ppl get tired of it.

To me this vehicle seems redundant with the wonderful HHR and the brand new Equinox already covering the 5-seater MPV market. This will never be a suitable replacement for the HHR, in my eyes. Orlando is not an ugly car, it's just different and clearly not as special as HHR. The only way it could fit is if the HHR goes out of production, and I believe that vehicle still has at least a few years left of market sweetness before ppl get tired of it.

That is a good point, ocn.

THis is too close to the NOX.

The HHR is the kind of vehicle people buy to be different and not to look like every other mini van or cross over on the market.

HHR has 3 groups of buyers.

The key points of the HHR are this.

Styling. It looks nothing like a Cross over/mini van. It sells well to SUV and truck buyers wanting to down size. Note a lot of truck owners.

Price. the price of the HHR makes it a steal of a buy. It is well sorted out and except for a little too much hard plastic on the inside it present every well with the upgraded interior.

Perfromance. their has been a growing group of perfromance people since the SS arrived. It has become the Mini that GM never really built. It is fun to drive and wicked fast with minor upgrades.

Mileage. The HHR get great mileage even with 290 HP of the tubo stage 22-30 MPG real world.

While the Orlando may a good vehilcle it is mostly what the HHR is not and what the buyers of the HHR want. It will be a risk to end the HHR with 100,000 annual sales to be replaced with a vehicle so close the the NOX and so far from the HHR.

As a HHR owner I would never buy one of this because it looks like a mini van and from what the reaction was on the HHR web site when I presented the Orlando I am not alone.

I would rather see a retro update on this plaform of the HHR as a retro styled vehcile based on a 55 Chevy panel and Suburban. Keep it retro but change the styling more than Chrysler did on the PT.

At least the HHR had character, this thing is a bloated mini-SUV with a purpose.

It shouldn't be a replacement for the HHR since it has no connection to the vehicle it replaces. In my eyes, it competes in a different segment but that's just perception. Take it for what it's worth.

I see Hyperv6 says 100,000 units sold, Where? :unsure:

Here in Seattle, I have gone by the Kirkland, Bothell, Everett, lynnwood chevy dealerships and they all have ton's of HHR sitting on the lots but talking to the sales people they have been sitting, most of these are last year models and no new versions are being taken. No one is buying the HHR here in the Northwest. This must be a vehicle that is selling in select areas.

Personally the HHR says I am old and from the past, the Orlando at least say's modern and I could even see this as an AWD version for wet and snowy weather.

I have no other info on this as this is the first time I have seen the Orlando and I like what I see just like I liked the HHR when it came out also but also acknowledge that the HHR was for people who Wanted to relive the past style.

IMO, If the HHR is profitable and truly selling 6 figure units, then keep it going, but consider what the fall off has been for the last couple years. If the HHR has reduced 30-40K units year over year then this vehicle has already lost it's shine and is probably only selling with incentives that rob the profit from the vehicle. At that point then it needs to be massivly updated or replaced.

Does anyone have the last 3 years of selling for the HHR to validate if it is really holding onto market share or is it dying off as I suspect it is?

Humans are fical and like change, keeping a model around just to resist change is like Ex Prez Bush and his Stay the Course attitude that did not serve this country well.

If someone has the sales numbers, please post them to justify keeping the HHR or show that it is time to replace it with this Orlando.

ciao, :deathwatch:

THis is too close to the NOX.

The HHR is the kind of vehicle people buy to be different and not to look like every other mini van or cross over on the market.

HHR has 3 groups of buyers.

The key points of the HHR are this.

Styling. It looks nothing like a Cross over/mini van. It sells well to SUV and truck buyers wanting to down size. Note a lot of truck owners.

Price. the price of the HHR makes it a steal of a buy. It is well sorted out and except for a little too much hard plastic on the inside it present every well with the upgraded interior.

Perfromance. their has been a growing group of perfromance people since the SS arrived. It has become the Mini that GM never really built. It is fun to drive and wicked fast with minor upgrades.

Mileage. The HHR get great mileage even with 290 HP of the tubo stage 22-30 MPG real world.

While the Orlando may a good vehilcle it is mostly what the HHR is not and what the buyers of the HHR want. It will be a risk to end the HHR with 100,000 annual sales to be replaced with a vehicle so close the the NOX and so far from the HHR.

As a HHR owner I would never buy one of this because it looks like a mini van and from what the reaction was on the HHR web site when I presented the Orlando I am not alone.

I would rather see a retro update on this plaform of the HHR as a retro styled vehcile based on a 55 Chevy panel and Suburban. Keep it retro but change the styling more than Chrysler did on the PT.

But they're the same thing!!!! They're BOTH GM vehicles that cost the same!!! They both perform the same!!! HHR is just a badge!!!1111!!!!

Now you (well, not so much you, specifically, but others) see why I want a Pontiac instead of a Chevrolet.

Oh, and BTW, you're argument makes FAR too much sense for GM to even consider it....

The HHR has been VERY successful, so in typical GM fashion (with both divisions and products) they'll perfect it (SEE: HHR SS) and then discontinue it and scratch their heads about why it's mundane, incapable replacement isn't selling the same numbers.

Personally the HHR says I am old and from the past, the Orlando at least say's modern and I could even see this as an AWD version for wet and snowy weather.

Funny...

I thought that's what all Scions (excepting the tC) and Elements said... At least, judging by the age of the drivers.

And the Orlando, as nice as it is and as much as I want to see it sold ALONG SIDE the HHR, will probably say the same thing since it is devoid of character.

If the HHR has reduced 30-40K units year over year then this vehicle has already lost it's shine and is probably only selling with incentives that rob the profit from the vehicle. At that point then it needs to be massivly updated or replaced.

Or... It could just be the market that's down 30-40%...

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Oh well, I'd still rather have the practicality of our mini-van. It's funny how consumers will sacrifice so much for mere vanity. In light of that, being the market 'trend', it's a shame GM had to make this decision that could have an effect on their overall volume. The thing would likely sell... though I'm not sure why. I guess we can just hope they get by.

Edited by ShadowDog

Does anyone have the last 3 years of selling for the HHR to validate if it is really holding onto market share or is it dying off as I suspect it is?

If someone has the sales numbers, please post them to justify keeping the HHR or show that it is time to replace it with this Orlando.

ciao, :deathwatch:

Although I recently gave up my sales job, I can vouch for slumping HHR sales. Especially when you can buy a 7-passenger van for $16,999 and the HHR starts at 21 and change... it didn't make sense for someone to give up that much $ for something so small.

What GM could have done to make the HHR more marketible is made an AWD version of it and maybe re-worked the exterior styling a wee bit. In my last year with the dealership, I didn't meet one woman who liked the HHR - in fact, most women cringed when I made a suggestion that they take one for a drive.

I love the looks of the Orlando. The Mazda5 is an awesome looking vehicle with seating for 7 and lots of wiggle room and flexibility in the seats - GM should use that as an example and move forward.

Also, bring that decent 4 cyl engine out for it too w 6-spd tranny.

Although I recently gave up my sales job, I can vouch for slumping HHR sales. Especially when you can buy a 7-passenger van for $16,999 and the HHR starts at 21 and change... it didn't make sense for someone to give up that much $ for something so small.

What GM could have done to make the HHR more marketible is made an AWD version of it and maybe re-worked the exterior styling a wee bit. In my last year with the dealership, I didn't meet one woman who liked the HHR - in fact, most women cringed when I made a suggestion that they take one for a drive.

I love the looks of the Orlando. The Mazda5 is an awesome looking vehicle with seating for 7 and lots of wiggle room and flexibility in the seats - GM should use that as an example and move forward.

Canada, I'm guessing?

As far as the HHR, I think it is hot in some areas (like here in the Motor City), and cold in others...

I know quite a few women who are driving it, and like it. (granted, my wife hates it)

Though I do agree that it does need some updates....

I agree that a better HHR and Equinox will more than take place of Orlando. If the new HHR gets a green light it should not be retroed as the current one is. I agree with "shesellschevys" girls are not happy looking at the HHR, but they would not mind being caught in the X-B(ox). :rolleyes:

But two things will spring in Orlando's favor:

1. It is 7 seater compared to the other two.
  2. GM's "desire" for "Global" products.
It would make a better business case if the entire global production of Orlando took place in USA.

Ok lets do something different here and let some facts get in the way.

These are the numbers for the 2008 that sold 99,176 units 2006 I think I saw sold 118,000 approx and the 2007 was also over 100,000.

Note if you disagree with these numbers call GM as that is where they came from.

The HHR is not sell this year as and is flooding lots just as almost ever other GM car. But most informed pople would understand that and any idiot would understand that but then again from what I read I guess some don't

The Orlando was posted by me on the HHR site several times and seldom there are few who really care for it. With the number the HHR sells at and the reaction of the present owners I would think cat GM's attention. The HHR will do fine till 2011-12 but it will need replace by something new. But it also has to be specal as the Olando is just nothing special. Th epeople in a HHR was something that people stop them as say they like it. Contary to popular belief many people who don't own one do like them and they are under 50.

I have no problem with the Orlando being built but it is just not going to sell to the same demo as the HHR does. I hate to see the risk of those sales being gone that are easy to keep with something visually interesting and affordable.

In the HHR's case being different is a selling point to many.

I was never a HHR fan or understood it till I bought my SS. The HHR base is very diverse and special. This is the kind of group that would be loyal if given a replacemnt that offered not the exact styling but just special styling. Many people today want affordable cars that get them noticed. Too often you have to spend 50 K to get noticed.

Lutz did GM a big favore to fight for this little car.

As for 7 seats Not sure but I would say in the HHR's case few care. I think most would want about 6 inches more lenth for hauling and a side opening rear door. Some have done this conversion. The Panels are selling well this year even in slow times. THe SS would sell better if it was marketed. I know few know about it as many people think I built mine. It ges like this " That is cool and a turbo, Did you built it yourself?"

As for AWD and the like it would be nice but not manditory unless it was affordable. You lose the price point on this you lose your sales. Too many on this web site forget price when dreaming up cars. It is nice to have the toys but not everyone can afford them. GIve them a car that feels loaded at a affordable price and you win the game. IN economic times like that it is a wise thing to keep in mind.

productionq.png

production2q.png

Edited by hyperv6

In my last year with the dealership, I didn't meet one woman who liked the HHR - in fact, most women cringed when I made a suggestion that they take one for a drive.

Ditto on most of your comments. The ones that I have heard here from other bloggers is why GM

is in such big trouble!

We just switched from a Chrysler T & C minivan to a downsize, for economy! Looked at the HHR's.

Couldn't even touch a used one for under 20k, equipped the way I would want one!

Looked at a Dodge Caliber SXT. Bought a used one for $5,000. less than the best deal on an HHR!

AND..... it is more functional and PRACTICAL --- than the HHR! And gave 30.9mpg!

I like the looks and proportions of the new Orlando. Might even considr a switch after seeing one in the flesh.

It seems to have returned to a realm of practical rather than snobb appeal!

Oh yeah, a small diesel would set this apart from the rest and bring mileage back ahead of the flock!

Edited by rkmdogs

I'm assuming the Opel version will be the next gen Zafira. I was hoping to see the next gen Zafira in the U.S. as a new Buick Rendezvous. Buick needs a smaller people mover. Since GMC is getting the Theta based Terrain, I thought Buick could get the next gen Delta II based Zafira as a more car-like sub-Enclave people mover.

I agree with those who hope that this news means that the Orlando will still be available in the U.S. even if it is built elsewhere. I think it would be a valuable addition to Chevrolet's lineup here.

Most people expect luggage room in a vehicle to somewhat match its passenger capacity. I don't know of any small 7 passenger vehicles that have done well recently. The Mazda 5's yearly sales increased from 13,717 (2007) to 22,021 (2008). These cars are highly discounted and sell for a song. Suzuki XL7 is a perennial sales looser too. Perhaps one of the Korean models is doing better? I think it is unfortunate that the short wheelbase minivans have fallen out of favor, but i guess the market has spoken.

Thanks Hyperv6 for posting 2008 numbers, would you have the 2007 and 2006 numbers for comparison?

Thanks Dud, :)

I am trying to get them.

The 06 and 07 out sold the 08. The 09 will not be a comparison as with the market down it has been tough on all Chevys but trucks.

When gas was up last fall there were fewer than 2 or 3 HHRs on dealer lots. They were selling almost as fast as the Cobalt per the salesman I bought mine from. Just to get mine I had to change color choice as the dealer went as far as Ohio to Georgia to try to pick one up for me loaded in red. I ended up getting one in black and even had a hard time doing that. SS's were hard to find loaded in July August and September.

Like I said the Orlando will have its market but it will not be the same market the HHR sold to. Just spend some time on the HHR web site and many there plan to buy another before the end of production.

The 3rd row seating is mostly a Euro thing and I would be shocked if the diesel sold well. Diesels on enthusiast web sites are like 6 speeds everyons says they will buy one and when they hit the market the general public passes on them.

The bottom line is the HHR is and was a cheap car for GM to produce that created a market with little compititon. It sold well and made a a good profit for GM. The lack of marketing may have hurt it some but if it was selling well and money is tight you don't fix what is not broken.

I bet the small Mazda 5 and other like it and I bet few sell in the same numbers as the HHR.

As for the Caliber they are priced so low as they are that bad. I was in a SRT version the other day. Nice front seats and good engine but little else. The plastic in the Caliber make the HHR look good. The HHR resale has been better than most GM cars as even high mileage base ones are reselling seldom less than $9K for a vehicle the base model can be had new for little more.

In my area used HHR's are a hard thing to find

Women do not hate the HHR. THere are many female owners of this vehilcle. The design is just a love or hate thing and it is that way with all men and women. Just there is enought that like it to support it.

Bring on the Orlando but just don't expect it to replace the HHR sales. A new HHR on the new Orlando platform would make a cheap alturnitive. You could keep it retro but it would have to have a new retro look. 1955-57 with some Cameo trait tossed in would do well. Keep a performance version. It would not have to be a SS but something that would make it fun to drive like the present SS.

If I had to replace mine today and no other HHR SS was available I would look to the Mini for the daily driver. .

Won't the Cruze wagon just replace the HHR then?

Wagons and hatches are hard sells in the states. There is a select group that like them but not a large group.

That is why everyting wagon like it in the form of a Mini Van or SUV. If it looks like a SUV or Mini Van it sells.

Case in point Forrester, Excape etc.

The Orlando was posted by me on the HHR site several times and seldom there are few who really care for it. With the number the HHR sells at and the reaction of the present owners I would think cat GM's attention. The HHR will do fine till 2011-12 but it will need replace by something new. But it also has to be specal as the Olando is just nothing special. Th epeople in a HHR was something that people stop them as say they like it. Contary to popular belief many people who don't own one do like them and they are under 50.

I have no problem with the Orlando being built but it is just not going to sell to the same demo as the HHR does. I hate to see the risk of those sales being gone that are easy to keep with something visually interesting and affordable.

In the HHR's case being different is a selling point to many.

Exactly.. That's why, in my To GM plan, I include the HHR as a "halo" small vehicle for GM. The possibility is endless.

As people start moving to smaller cars which most of them hate/dread, the HHR can be a shining star of style and flavor in an otherwise BLAND-TASTIC set. Americans hate small cars and one of the reasons is because they look like $h! (The small cars we GET here, anyway) The HHR can use it's strong styling to buck that trend and it can foster very loyal buyers because of that (Witness hyperv6, who said he originally didn't like the car)

CASE IN POINT:

I was never a HHR fan or understood it till I bought my SS. The HHR base is very diverse and special. This is the kind of group that would be loyal if given a replacemnt that offered not the exact styling but just special styling. Many people today want affordable cars that get them noticed. Too often you have to spend 50 K to get noticed.

THe SS would sell better if it was marketed. I know few know about it as many people think I built mine. It ges like this " That is cool and a turbo, Did you built it yourself?"

I agree 110%... I told a "tuner" friend of mine about the Turbo ECOTEC and he gave me a deer-in-the-headlights look. I said; 'haven't you ever seen the HHR SS or Cobalt SS?' The answer was NO...

Same thing with a gearhead friend of mine who owns a Denali. He hated the HHR, until I showed him the SS and told him the performance numbers.

Personally, if I were looking for something small again, the HHR SS would be in my driveway in a heartbeat. I love the little thing, it has TONS of character and really is a UNIQUE offering in the market. No one else makes anything, that doesn't suck, comparable to this. I was hopeful for the SRT-4, but it seems cheap and not a very good performer (overall)

Sadly not all of us fit in these small auto's and worse yet, they sit way too low to the ground. Reality check, as you get older it is not always easy to keep doing deep knee bends to get into a vehicle that sits on the ground.

This is a major reason you see middle age people going with cross overs, the HHR is just too small, too low to the ground and over all just a kids car. NOT an adult or family car.

My opinion and I am keeping to it. :P

This is a major reason you see middle age people going with cross overs, the HHR is just too small, too low to the ground and over all just a kids car. NOT an adult or family car.

My opinion and I am keeping to it. :P

I have a bad back and knees. As a matter of fact I just accessorized my HHR with a handicap plate. I don't even have to pay at parking meters. The HHR is almost as easy to get in as my Sonoma was, and much easier than the my grand am. Also it does fit large people as I am over 300 lbs now. The HHR is a surprisingly well thought out car.

Edited by haypops

I have a bad back and knees. As a matter of fact I just accessorized my HHR with a handicap plate. I don't even have to pay at parking meters. The HHR is almost as easy to get in as my Sonoma was, and much easier than the my grand am. Also it does fit large people as I am over 300 lbs now. The HHR is a surprisingly well thought out car.

Glad it works for you, I am all legs with short body so at 6'6" tall I end up having to really dip down to get into an HHR. I feel for you with the back and knees. My mom just had her knees replaced and it was no fun, but need as she can get around better now.

Good luck with the HHR.

HHR does very,very, well around here. When the panel arrived, they just flew off of the lots.

Hyper: Nice to agree with you for a change. :lol:

You guys all know that I have little love for small cars, and none for FWD, yet the HHR even appeals to me! The panel even had me wondering if I could tolerate an FWD car.

Only the Mini has accomplished that feat before.

HHR does very,very, well around here. When the panel arrived, they just flew off of the lots.

You guys all know that I have little love for small cars, and none for FWD, yet the HHR even appeals to me! The panel even had me wondering if I could tolerate an FWD car.

You swore off of GM remember? Don't make me lose respect for you by buying new ... :smilewide:

HHR > Orlando

From a design standpoint at least. The problem with making an HHR 2.0 is that updating retro can be very, very tricky. If you want to see how badly a company can fail at it, go look at the refreshed PT Cruiser.

No argument there, but not to get the job done would be a mistake. The HHR is a winner, GM needs to build on that.

Maybe they could go older? If the current HHR is supposed to be based on the '49 Suburban, maybe ver. 2.0 could look a little more like the earlier ones, which I believe had taller, narrower grilles.

Maybe.

A 55-57 inspired version (as mentioned earlier) would seem logical as well.

That vintage is much-loved.

HHR was getting no love at the auto show tonight. Mazda5 was at least getting looks. HHR doesn't have appeal as a family hauler, where the Orlando would. Still, the orlando would be a semi nichey product. the aztek / judge dredd rear end design probably would kill any female appeal for that vehicle though. GM needs to stop making little detail f@#kups like that. that and cheap plastic.

HHR is past its prime, and is probably not much time of relevance left. if you compare it to the cube, element, soul, xb, it kind of lacks utility.

HHR was getting no love at the auto show tonight. Mazda5 was at least getting looks. HHR doesn't have appeal as a family hauler, where the Orlando would. Still, the orlando would be a semi nichey product. the aztek / judge dredd rear end design probably would kill any female appeal for that vehicle though. GM needs to stop making little detail f@#kups like that. that and cheap plastic.

HHR is past its prime, and is probably not much time of relevance left. if you compare it to the cube, element, soul, xb, it kind of lacks utility.

Well Do you really thing Mazda will sell 100,000 plus 5's this year? It is a competitive segment and if you offert the same crap as everyone else you not going to see the volume you would like.

The HHR also has been around for 4 years and when I went to the Auto show the parking lot was full of them form the people attending. Just with in 10 cars of mine was 4 others.

The HHR is not past it's prime it is doing the same sales tren all cars carry. It will be due for an update in 2011-12. The key is to do an update that is not like Chryslers where it lookes mostly the same. The retro thing will carry but the present style needs to change.

Details like an opening rear hatch glass and may be alittle length would be nice.

As for utillity most people would trade a little for something that has no personality. Driving a box has a limited appeal just as a Mini Van.

The key is a redesigned HHR needs to retain a truck look. This is the key part. Many present HHR owners were Truck and SUV owners hating to pay for the gas.

As for utillity I have hauled some good loads form a Soap Box Dervy car to a unassembled 50" basket ball hoop. The limit on wide screen TV's is 54 inches.

As for safe the HHR has a proven record. I have a photo of several that have been in bad crashed and people came away with no or little injury.

FOG You have some good ideas but please make sure to include the cost of what your doing. How many name plates can Chevy suport and still make money. I just see too much over lap with the Nox and Orlando. Cost wise give me one or the other.

I also agree on anyone over 6 foot the HHR is not a good leg room option. This is one area a new one needs to improve. The fact is we are going to be left with only smaller cars in the fututre and interior space will be important. I am under 6 foot and would not much taller in my HHR. As for getting in and out I do not have to lean down but I doo have to step over a large rocker on the SS. Anyone with short legs may hate that.

scene.jpg

60+ MPH head on crash. Broken arm, wrist from bracing and fractured foot from standing on the brake. rear passenger did not have a scratch.

2297951120059213668zati.jpg

Side hit at 80 MPH and flipped, driver waled away with no injury. He did slide a good ways on the roof then hitting a curb and other things.

x08cthr036s.jpg

Even the proper use of color can transform the most basic of interiors. Better seats and color goe a long way. Just needs a better gauge pod.

Modified version of Groove design may be a good start for the new HHR.

It certainly has more character than the Orlando... And I've always been a fan of the Groove.

Personally, I think GM should sell both the Orlando and an updated HHR. IMO, they're different niches that appeal to different people. The market for small crossovers is going to grow substantially, so I think GM could support both.

Hate to :deadhorse:, but I could use this (the need for both vehicles and the bland styling of the Orlando and apparently all future Chevrolets) as another argument to keep Pontiac around.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

groove1.jpg

I would not be suprised if this one appears. It would be cheap to do based on the Spark and Chevy needs to gear toward more smaller cars with the present admin pressing for higher CAFE standards and lower emissions.

if HHR goes another generation it needs to gain space utilization similar to an Xb or Soul or something like that.

current HHR has way too much hood length which takes cabin space away from the vehicle. plus, its heavily contoured body carves away even more useful space. its possible to make a vehicle with more space efficiency but still has has character.

i like hhr actually, but in 2010 model year there are too many other choices and it just seems dated and doesn't have a calling card. the orlando at least has enough character to generate new showroom traffic. current hhr is heavily fleeted and commercial which helps bloat its sales numbers. that, and people come in shopping cobalts and get moved into HHR's rightfully so because of the space.

if the hhr was taller, wider, had a much shorter hood, and if the body panels didnt eat up the space so much, then it would survive a next gen i think. maybe the groove is a good starting point. there is no law that the HHR HAS to look like a 49 suburban in its next go round.

groove1.jpg

I sort of view a production version of the Groove as a smaller companion to the Orlando, just like the Meriva is a smaller companion to the Zafira. I could see Chevy getting a LWB Gamma based Groove to complement the LWB Delta based Orlando.

Instead of simply doing an update of the HHR on Delta II, maybe GM should do a sportier type of wagon influenced by the 2004 Chevrolet Nomad Concept (Link: Visit My Website, Source: NetCarShow). I know that concept was RWD, but I think GM could do something similar to it on Delta II. The concept wasn't exactly the most attractive vehicle, but it had a definite cool factor. If Chevy could modify some of the awkward elements while retaining the cool factor of the concept, then they might have something unique that would appeal to a wide audience.

if HHR goes another generation it needs to gain space utilization similar to an Xb or Soul or something like that.

current HHR has way too much hood length which takes cabin space away from the vehicle. plus, its heavily contoured body carves away even more useful space. its possible to make a vehicle with more space efficiency but still has has character.

i like hhr actually, but in 2010 model year there are too many other choices and it just seems dated and doesn't have a calling card. the orlando at least has enough character to generate new showroom traffic. current hhr is heavily fleeted and commercial which helps bloat its sales numbers. that, and people come in shopping cobalts and get moved into HHR's rightfully so because of the space.

if the hhr was taller, wider, had a much shorter hood, and if the body panels didnt eat up the space so much, then it would survive a next gen i think. maybe the groove is a good starting point. there is no law that the HHR HAS to look like a 49 suburban in its next go round.

Well as a HHR owner and one that has been around many HHR owners here are some of the things they would change.

The hood is no issue as if it was shorter the engine would just get moved into the cabin. You going to gain little as there is little wasted space inder the hood.

As for fleet sales plai panels and base models have been popular with companies as the styling has set their fleets appart. It is no like the G6 that they are just getting dumped un Enterprise lots just to get them out of GM inventory. The fleet in this case is not unlike many truck sales.

Going into 2010 sales and profitrs have been great with few changed. Besides what car 5 years in is not ready for an update?

The present car few owners argue for more cargo space. That has never been an issue. If it had a little more no one complain but few complain now. What many ask for are, a different rear door that opens diffently or has a opening rear window. Better door panels, a little more head room, width would be needed if you raise the roof to prevent it from having the telephone booth looke. They wanted window swithches on the doors and they got them this year.

The biggest need is interior storage. As it is there are a few bins but no center console. The glove box is small and the dash storage is great but small.

As for a group of owners I would say the HHR owners may be as satisfied group of GM owners there are. The biggest black mark or complaints I see are quaility issues with some. Most have trouble fre cars but I too often see people with nagging little problems that tarnish ownership for some. So far with mine I have yet to have more than one TSB done on it. That was for a Vacuum pump t be added to assiste the Turbo brakes. This was an issue on the Solstice and Sky also. It was a LNF engine problem not a HHR problem.

As for presnet owners response to the Orlando it has been poor. it is about 1 out of 10 like the Orlando or are showing any like for it.

The bottom line the people who buy an HHR are not the same that would buy a NOX or Orlando. ALso the fleet company sales will be lost as I have many in my area like a Coke distributor and a Miller Beer distributor use the HHR for their sales staff. Even the many independents that were not fleet sales like my Local Jeff the Plumber has several panel in his small company to save on gas and make a good rolling advertisment for his small company.

The key in this market is while you may gain a few sales being the same as everyone else your going to lose a lot more when you lose a popular concept from those who want to be different.

The bottom line is unless the Orlando is priced in the HHR line it will never sell in the number the HHR has. People have too many other choices in the same price range on very similar vehicles. For the Orlando to make it it needs to do so on options and price to set itself appart.

The sad part is the Orlando will in my opinion be more expensive just as the Cruze and lose it's advantage fo being a good value.

Hey guys, Personally I like it. We all know good things must come to an end. There are already a ton of HHR's out there. I like that the hhr is unique. If there were too many HHR's out there it would take away from the uniqueness. With the addition of a new baby girl coming to my young family, I am looking for a fuel efficient 7 passanger car. The Orlando sounds right for me. Ill still keep the HHR as a toy though. Looks nice sitting next to my 1970 opel gt. Though I will add that so far from what I have read the Orlando is only planned to be released in europe and it has yet to be determined if it will make it state side. I would like it though 2.0turbodeisel with 150hp and 230 ft lb torque. Sounds like a great fuel effiencient people mover with a potential to tow more than the HHR.

When i bought my hhr my dealer said the hhr is the number 1 selling new model they have ever had.

Bad idea they are too late it`s just a Dodge Caliber wearing a bow tie

I don't think it could ever replace the HHR. Too bland, too big. It may be similar, but in my eyes, there's no way it's a replacement.

The HHR has style, the Orlando has size. They are not replacements for one another.

Just another SUV

it is NOT an HHR

not for me thanks

Don't do much for me. Looks like one of a handful of cars already on the market

Yawn.It looks too much like a Traverse,an Equinox,and an Uplander.I recognize Chevrolet's desire for the family 'face" on their cars but there's no individuality to it.At least our HHRs LOOK unique even if they're Cobalts underneath.

wow, a angular mini van....very...ummm.... original?

sorry, IMO it looks like crap. And if it looks this boring in "concept" phase, since it will look nothing like this in the end, it'll be 5x more boring then this by the time they get done with it.

Fugly. Reminds me sorta like an Aztec, which I also think are fugly. this cannot replace an HHR

That thing is friggin UGLY

That looks craptacular. I'd go with the xB over that thing.

My thoughts exactly. I bought the HHR because it wasn't like anything else on the road. It has style. This new replacement does absolutely nothing for me.

Meh.

not HHR replacement at all you cant beat the look of our HHR's

I have to agree with Lone Ranger here...I am seeing more and more HHR's in the buffalo area now...Theres been 4 people i work with buy them this year after seeing/hearing how much i love mine...If they kill the model im gonna replace my current 08 with a used 10 model i guess

Crap

I can only say that I wouldn't even glance at that vehicle if it were on the lot...

This is only a cross section of HHR owners. Some do like the Oralando but I presented this in about the same ratio of positive to negitive comments. There were 15 pages here and most comments were negitive, some neutrel and only a few positive.

Anyway this is what the HHR community is saying and they are in great numbers so their comments should be heard. In time the lack of their buying the Orlando may speak even louder in a already crowded market where being different can be to your advantage!!

Edited by hyperv6