Cobalt Cometh to Cory

I was indifferent to the cloth seats I have. Nothing great but not terrible.

And I agree as I told you the other day BV, the automatic is slow to downshift...and when it finally does it's not all that smooth.

I concur, that's the one weird thing about this car. If I'm going down at 80KPH (50MPH) and I hit a small dip in the road the car will search for a gear and then the down shift isn't so smooth- which feels odd. If I take the Impala down the same road it won't do any searching, it downshifts smoothly and promptly. I also noticed that the cloth material on the back seats seems to be softer than the material on the front seats.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My car is pretty good about shifting except when I turn onto my street which is on a hill...if i don't slow down enough it'll hold 2nd gear until I give it more gas and then it'll downshift hard....I try to avoid that.

The Grand Marquis may not go in reverse, but going forward it shifts smoothly and promptly.

you're being hard on yourself. i've seen and heard much gayer. your manner of speaking is fine, your intonnation is mostly flat, your tone is on the deeper and more controlled end of things, and delivery/mannerisms is far from homosexual, at least from what i can tell of your personal vid. sorry for going so deep in analysis, just my way. :lol: at myself.

Hah... I suppose. :P

Now see I am comfortable in my Cobalt seats. The longest trip I've taken so far was to DC, and I was comfortable. Heck, one of the reasons I looked closer at a Cobalt was the pleasant, comfortable, quiet ride of my mom's '05 base automatic sedan to Maryland last year. Speaking of, I'm taking mom to Maryland in my car later this morning, so I'm going to report back on my impressions. I know she, at age 64, will moan about ease of ingress/egress. The 2-door Echo she had before her Cobalt was easier for her, it was a 2-door with higher seats, bigger door opening, etc.

Vipes, can't you just leave the gearshift in 3rd gear, to alleviate the overdrive issue on your hilly back roads? I understand what you're saying, but the transmission in your car is geared and programmed for maximum economy, not maximum fun. No need to move to Kansas and hope for a tornado to carry it away.

The seats aren't terrible, just lacking in some support. My lower back doesn't agree with them.

As Z said, there is no such selection. I wouldn't say the cars I've owned to compare it to were sports car by any means. I'm only averaging 2 mpg better than I did with my Jetta. It had much more usable gearing and even felt more lively in most situations. This transmission just needs to downshift more willingly and it wouldn't be such a issue. Usually, when you start up a hill, press the accelerator, and start to lose speed, a transmission will promptly downshift. Such is not the case and it becomes a constant nuisance having to counter more than a dozen hills on your daily route.

We ended up taking her car because she wanted to take her pup. I drove. Her car turned over 17k miles on this trip. I had the seat height adjustment turned all the way up and I was fine. I could feel the transmission downshift from O/D to third with normal throttle input to keep up speed on hills. I passed a person on level road in MD and it downshifted cleanly and scooted past the poker. Her car feels at least as solid as mine does. She borderline hates it though. She moaned about the lack of power windows and locks, her ass hurt from the "hard" seats, and she finds the seatbelts a nuisance. Now she wants a Kia Soul because she likes the commercial with the hamsters. Someone take her, please. I think my mom and Vipes would make such a pretty pair.:AH-HA_wink:

Now see I am comfortable in my Cobalt seats. The longest trip I've taken so far was to DC, and I was comfortable. Heck, one of the reasons I looked closer at a Cobalt was the pleasant, comfortable, quiet ride of my mom's '05 base automatic sedan to Maryland last year. Speaking of, I'm taking mom to Maryland in my car later this morning, so I'm going to report back on my impressions. I know she, at age 64, will moan about ease of ingress/egress. The 2-door Echo she had before her Cobalt was easier for her, it was a 2-door with higher seats, bigger door opening, etc.

Vipes, can't you just leave the gearshift in 3rd gear, to alleviate the overdrive issue on your hilly back roads? I understand what you're saying, but the transmission in your car is geared and programmed for maximum economy, not maximum fun. No need to move to Kansas and hope for a tornado to carry it away.

EDIT: I agree with turbo on the whole voice thing. You sound fine, don't fret, li'l bro!

You say you're all about Pontiac, so why didn't you buy the G5 again? I'm confused, you say one thing, then do another? :unsure:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

We ended up taking her car because she wanted to take her pup. I drove. Her car turned over 17k miles on this trip. I had the seat height adjustment turned all the way up and I was fine. I could feel the transmission downshift from O/D to third with normal throttle input to keep up speed on hills. I passed a person on level road in MD and it downshifted cleanly and scooted past the poker. Her car feels at least as solid as mine does. She borderline hates it though. She moaned about the lack of power windows and locks, her ass hurt from the "hard" seats, and she finds the seatbelts a nuisance. Now she wants a Kia Soul because she likes the commercial with the hamsters. Someone take her, please. I think my mom and Vipes would make such a pretty pair.:AH-HA_wink:

Thanks for the input?

I do moms. Send her over. :P

Edited by blackviper8891

Now she wants a Kia Soul because she likes the commercial with the hamsters.:AH-HA_wink:

Seriously? Even my new Malibu driving mother apparently saw that commercial and said to all of us "Hey, did you see that cool new Kia in the commercials with the hamster? So cute. What is the car?" Guess the marketing is working.

Otherwise, Cory, how's the barely used Cobalt doing yet in regards to the clunks and thunks you first noticed, aside from the trans performance and such?

I still don't know why, but I actually preferred the 2.2L/4-spd in the lighter '07 Malibu I had a bit to our '08 2.4L/4-spd, partly for economy and partly because of how zingy it felt and with better placed shiftpoints, oddly. Ah, the days of 37mpg...I always wondered why the last gen Malibu with that engine could pull off numbers even better than some Cobalts of the day with the same little runner underhood.

Otherwise, Cory, how's the barely used Cobalt doing yet in regards to the clunks and thunks you first noticed, aside from the trans performance and such?

They're still there and getting worse, if anything. It looks, to me, that it's the control arm bushings, but I won't find out for sure until I have time to take it to a garage. Easter was my first day off in a while, and obviously, everything is closed.

:rolleyes:

Let's see:

-Fix control arm bushings Vs. Buy an automatic shift kit.

-Buy a CAI/exhuast/etc Vs. Buy an automatic shift kit.

Or, better yet:

-Save money Vs. Buy an automatic shift kit.

Yes, I can see exactly why you rolled your eyes. It's clearly the most important thing ever to exist in my life. I mean, god forbid, I might bitch about it forever and that is just terrible. All that time I'll spend bitching could be spent jacking off or even picking my nose. Oh joy! I can't wait!

Bitch, please. Again, I think I'd rather bitch and be more aggressive with the gas pedal than spend money on a worthless kit for a worthless automatic.

Edited by blackviper8891

Hey, you're the one who said he'd rather "btich and moan" about it than actually fix the issue.

I came so close to adding a "Bitch, please" to the rolleyes smiley - you deserved it too.

You crack me up sometimes, BV.

I said the shift kit wouldn't be worth the money, thus I'd rather bitch and moan. It doesn't improve performance and only affects the torque converter. The ratios will still be the same, it'll still have four gears, and it'll still shift itself. Fixing the issue would be dropping a 5spd manual into it.

Bitch, please, indeed. :P

Edited by blackviper8891

Fix the bushings first - you'll eventually do damage if you don't. You'll really grow to like it once the suspension is tightened up. It really is a great handling car.

I'd consider flashing a new shift pattern for the tranny if possible. When you're ready, it might be an easy, affordable solution for you. I haven't done it, but check cobaltss.net - I'm sure someone over there has. Also, the 2.2 does like to be wound out a bit. Get it over 4500rpm and you'll feel like you were hit from behind.

Fix the bushings first - you'll eventually do damage if you don't. You'll really grow to like it once the suspension is tightened up. It really is a great handling car.

I'd consider flashing a new shift pattern for the tranny if possible. When you're ready, it might be an easy, affordable solution for you. I haven't done it, but check cobaltss.net - I'm sure someone over there has. Also, the 2.2 does like to be wound out a bit. Get it over 4500rpm and you'll feel like you were hit from behind.

X2...it does lift up it's nose when you gun it.

Yeah-fix those brushings!

You might want to try some Amsoil for your tranny...it's should help it shift much better.

That's the one thing that drives me nuts in mine-I could get out and push the damn thing faster.

A buddy of mine put some in his G5...shifts much better.

My Balt seems to enjoy the Mobil 1 (a bit peppier), and the Amsoil should make the shifts better...

Maybe it will at least make it more fun....

Coming from another great handling car, I haven't found it be quite as tossable as the Jetta. The Jetta was a blast on back roads.

I was told the bushings on the Jetta were bad, as well, the last time I had it aligned. It never made nearly the same amount of clunking noise that the Cobalt does. It sounds like the struts are completely disconnected. I imagine this would be attributed to the difference in feel between the two cars, though, I'm sure there is more to consider. The Cobalt is a few hundred pounds heavier with tires that aren't very grippy.

Also, the 2.2 does like to be wound out a bit. Get it over 4500rpm and you'll feel like you were hit from behind.

Those high RPM's that I'll rarely ever see. :P

It's gutless around town and on the highway, especially with that lard-filled transmission. My Jetta was nothing to write home about, power wise, but it was much peppier. It was always willing to scoot along in those settings. Once you do venture into those higher RPMs, though, the Cobalt's power does start to show whereas the Jetta never had much more kick in higher RPMs than it did in lower RPMs. It wasn't a powerhouse.

Coming from another great handling car, I haven't found it be quite as tossable as the Jetta. The Jetta was a blast on back roads.

I was told the bushings on the Jetta were bad, as well, the last time I had it aligned. It never made nearly the same amount of clunking noise that the Cobalt does. It sounds like the struts are completely disconnected. I imagine this would be attributed to the difference in feel between the two cars, though, I'm sure there is more to consider. The Cobalt is a few hundred pounds heavier with tires that aren't very grippy.

Those high RPM's that I'll rarely ever see. :P

It's gutless around town and on the highway, especially with that lard-filled transmission. My Jetta was nothing to write home about, power wise, but it was much peppier. It was always willing to scoot along in those settings. Once you do venture into those higher RPMs, though, the Cobalt's power does start to show whereas the Jetta never had much more kick in higher RPMs than it did in lower RPMs. It wasn't a powerhouse.

Was the Jetta a VR6? I've noticed most VWs don't make much power at high revs, whether it's my 1.8T (5900 rpm peak, 6500 rpm redline), the 2.5L (5700 rpm peak, 6300 rpm redline), or of course, the TDI.

At first I wasn't too keen about the Passat's shift "logic" and DBW throttle, but eventually I got used to it and adapted my driving. I know the max throttle threshold before it downshifts, and I know that quick tapping on the gas pedal gets it to overdrive earlier. Listen to your car. :D

Well, what to say besides, it's officially mine.

Hey Cory,

CONGRATS! Sure is a gorgeous red. My parents have an '06 Cobalt sedan. It's a great car; I don't mind driving it. I've thought about getting a coupe as a winter/road trip car, but not sure I'd like it long term....

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"We're outta here" ... Steve Azar ... 'I Don't Have To Be Me 'Til Monday'

Cobalt and and my grandpa's replacement for it.

0418091554.jpg

The bushings that came off the Cobalt. Everyone I've talked to has lambasted GM for these bushings. The guy at Sears said 8/10 Cobalts they work on could use some new ones. Sad.

0417091802a.jpg

This is what going down a 2 mile descend will do to your average MPG. My average is generally around 29. :P

0402090012.jpg

Edited by blackviper8891

• 2 weeks later...