California to reduce carbon emissions by... banning black cars?!

In a move that will likely get California's consumers in a huff, impending legislation may soon restrict the paint color options for Golden State residents looking for their next new vehicle. The specific colors that are currently on the chopping block are all dark hues, with the worst offender seemingly the most innocuous color you could think of: Black. What could California possibly have against these colors, you ask? Apparently, the California Air Resources Board figures that the climate control systems of dark colored cars need to work harder than their lighter siblings – especially after sitting in the sun for a few hours. Anyone living in a hot, sunny climate will tell you that this assumption is accurate, of course. In fact, legislation already exists for buildings that has proven successful at reducing the energy consumption of skyscrapers.

So, what's the crux of the problem... can't paint suppliers just come up with new, less heat-absorbent dark paints? According to Ward's, suppliers have reportedly been testing their pigments and processes to see if it's possible to meet CARB's proposed mandate of 20% solar reflectivity by 2016 with a phase-in period starting in 2012, and things aren't looking good. Apparently, when the proper pigments and chemicals are added to black paint, the resulting color is currently being referred to as "mud-puddle brown." That doesn't sound very attractive, now does it? Windshields, backlights and sunroofs are also slated to get reflective coatings starting in 2012.

When we first heard of this issue, an internal debate immediately began as to whether this might be an elaborate early April Fool's joke, but it isn't. Read through CARB's complete Cool Cars Standards and Test Procedures here (PDF link) for more. Thanks for the tip, Joaquin!

Autoblog

Well maybe they shouldn't have such strict window tinting laws then. My brother has been pulled over in CA for his tint being too dark on his Charger, when it was the factory tint from when he bought it in AZ.

Darker tint would make a much bigger difference than making everyone drive a white car, since windows actually magnify the effect of the light coming into the car. What next, no black interiors?

And sorry, I haven't noticed much of a difference between my dark cars, and lighter cars, and I live in a desert with 115 degree temperatures. The hottest car I had was very light green, but with un-tinted windows, and tan leather interior.

Edited by CaddyXLR-V

Well, I suppose the small things really do matter. I don't have any objections, really. I don't like black vehicles anyway. One of my brother's trucks is black, and aside from the fact that it's annoying to keep clean, it's just too hot. He tends to only use it now for four-wheeling and evening travel.

Regardless, I don't think the outside color of a car makes much of a difference. It's all about the windows.

The paint color/reflectivity doesnt just apply to cars. It also applies to homes and office buildings. I imagine that most cars will end up being exempt from these rules.

This is as stupid as it comes, What about all the accidents that will be caused by the reflective windows???? Great we want to keep the heat out of the car so everyone gets their windows tinted with a reflective polarizing treatment and now you are blinded driving down the road by everyones windows.

What a bunch of Idiots. :mind-blowing:

Keep your f@#king hands off my choice of colors and window tints.

The State Of California = The most anti-car government on the planet.

Sooooo glad not to live there!

Yea along with their bankrupt state income tax and moron free hand outs to the illegals. The state will truly self destruct in time.

California = Biggest most important car market in the USA.

Californians love cars more than people in other states.

Sorry if its hard to understand.

Edited by SoCalCTS

California = Biggest most important car market in the USA.

Californians love cars more than people in other states.

Sorry if its hard to understand.

California, and the people in it, need to stop thinking they are more important than everyone else. This is not the United States of California.

So true. First CAFE then Emissions and now this. Give me a break when people in this great free country they call the USA can't get a black car do to emissions that is crazy.

Therein lies the problem - we'd rather you keep that kind of crap within your borders.

I don't mind avoiding California, but I get pretty angry when it tries to invade.

I can't believe someone on C&G is sticking up for the silly thing this states does.

I love the air resources board. I hope its a model for the entire nation.

Dude, you're a stereotype. That's NOT a complement.

California should be kicked out of the Union. So much

blatant stupidity & erroneous info originates there.

P.S. This is racism! MLK Jr. is spinning in his garve! :P

We are already on the road to recovery. See you in the rearview mirror!

Well for another Californian view...

This state is moving further down the road to disaster. Our legislature just sits around thinking of more and more asinine laws. There is no reason why this state even needs a full time legislature other than as welfare for the politicians in office.

plus, Black is my favorite car color!

CARB is perhaps one of the stupidest boards on the planet. Now, im not saying its all bad cause it really isn't, California's large metro areas still suffer from large amounts of smog so its fine to want to reduce smog levels (other parts of cali have awful air quality as well).

BUT it is totally blind in its application. any aftermarket peice that is not "CARB certified" will automatically fail your car in a smog test even if that part leads to emission levels well within limits! Additionally, any non CARB certified part can garner you a ticket in your car by a LEO.

This state passes laws just to be seen as "progressive" when all its doing is progressing our state from the most prosperous in the union down the road to destitution.

...However, im all for making all you other states be forced to accept California blended gasoline so that with economies of scale we can get gas as cheaply as the rest of you.

In Communist California, window tint YOU!