Rage, Hate, and the Need To Vent

Have you ever owned a vehicle that you were just about to the point of actually paying someone to take it off your hands?

That's the relationship I have with my truck.

I hate the uncomfortable seats; I hate the depressing gray on gray on gray on gray on gray on gray interior; I hate the unconnected handling; I hate the mushy ride. I especially hate the performance; I'm beginning to hate the styling; I hate the clunky gearbox; I hate the lack of interior space; I hate the color that's impossible to keep clean. It broke down on me going to work one morning early this month and I honestly couldn't care less to try and have whatever is wrong with it fixed. It's past due for an oil change, but I don't want shell out the fifteen bucks for a jug of Pennzoil to have it taken care of; I hate the thought of spending any money on even basic maintenance for this piece of $h!. The front passenger side suspension either needs new ball joints or even a new shock, but again, I'd rather rip my own teeth out than buy anything for my Sonoma. And there is always something breaking on it. Last month, I very reluctantly spent fifty bucks to replace the driver's side mirror because I didn't want to get a ticket.

I would feel guilty for even selling it to someone for the three grand its worth. I don't think there is any crime that would warrant someone having the misfortune of driving this rolling hunk of scrap metal. It's actually almost better walking. And I haven't found a car lot yet that seriously wants to trade anything for it.

God, please, give me a second chance and get me out of this corner of automotive hell I'm in. If I have to drive this truck for another year, I'm going to destroy it and post the video on You Tube.

I will never again own another S-Series pickup.

[Rant over.]

Edited by YellowJacket894

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My '95 Caprice Wagon is like that. It ran sweet for exactly one year. Then all hell broke loose. I finally have resolved to put it in the cramped garage and tear it apart to fix it... but I'm going to be irked if this ends up being a death of a thousand cuts.

The problem is that I could score another wagon for cheap. However, I like this one. Strong engine, SS grill, corny pinstripe with no woodgrain, and in condition that I don't mind scratching it, but doesn't look like its grossly embarrassing... yet.

We'll see in the next few months if I decide to punt.

YJ, you sound like me when I drove a Dodge Colt. It's a shame this truck has been so bad to you when your old S10 served you pretty well.

The good thing is, every complaint you mentioned can be fixed. Every inch of an S series pickup can be modified/improved either through OEM parts or the aftermarket. If you're game, get another daily driver on the cheap, decomission the Sonoma, tear it down, and build it up the way you want it.

My brother had 2 S-10s as daily drivers before he switched to Rangers..I never understood the appeal..just depressing, cheap, gray plastic inside...I couldn't imagine driving something like that more than once.

Jessica likes S-10s but I've never liked the way the late models looked inside or out. I always preferred the last gen Dakotas myself. However I don't have a use for a truck.

I kinda know how you feel. For a while the Prizm seemed to go from one problem to the next. First the door handles one the driver's side broke, then the window regulator on the driver's side broke, then the clutch went. Before all that 3rd and 4th gear didn't work. Not long after we replaced the transmission both master and slave cylinders went. 2 more exterior door handle broke, the rear view mirror broke. Oh and the cruise stopped working.

With all that said, once we fixed everything (besides the cruise) the car has been problem free for I think close to 2 years now. Although I did replace the tie rod end and passenger side strut mount recently...but that cost me nothing. Plus, I doubt I could ever hold a car of ours with that much contempt.

My 1991 S10 Blazer was a fantastic truck.

Even the interior was nice... but eesp. pleasing was it's off road prowess,

5-speed manual & the 75% of a 350sbc under the hood. (4.3 liter V6)

That being said I've driven a few late 1990s S10s and more than a few

have felt disappointing. It seems (like with so many things) newer is NOT

always better.

The shift linkage, squeeks/rattles, interior quality & reliability seemed to

go downhill with the 1993/1995 refresh.

Now my front passenger side strut has bought the farm.

However, I think God (if there actually is one) might have listened to my rant; I now have a Camaro ready and waiting to go through the negotiation process. I'm hoping I can finally rid myself of this ugly white plague by Saturday at the earliest and no later than this coming week.

That be redneckin slang fer whatcha'all city fellers call a "shock absorber."

Well, technically, struts and shocks are two different kinds of uppy-downy springy thingys. Speaking of shocks, I think my Jeep may need new shocks..they have about 50k on them, getting a bit bouncy.

Edited by moltar

Well, technically, struts and shocks are too different kinds of uppy-downy springy thingys.

Coil spring, shock absorber ... whatever. It's all suspension bits n pieces. I've been up since 5:30 this morning, had school today from 8 am to 3 pm, then turned around and went to work from 4 pm to 11 pm. I'm tired and everything I've learned in auto tech, along with three quarters of my overall brain capacity, is hanging half way out of the window drunk.

YJ, you sound like me when I drove a Dodge Colt. It's a shame this truck has been so bad to you when your old S10 served you pretty well.

The good thing is, every complaint you mentioned can be fixed. Every inch of an S series pickup can be modified/improved either through OEM parts or the aftermarket. If you're game, get another daily driver on the cheap, decomission the Sonoma, tear it down, and build it up the way you want it.

My bro treated his '94 SLE Sonoma Ext. Cab like a baby, sometimes regretting he didn't opt up for the ZR2 chassis instead, but happy still that he had an excuse to play it safe on the trails. He still put in a mild 2" lift with few modifications. Then, after 250k kms, he had an option to do some major overhaul work. Around then was when things just started to go down hill with the truck in general, but he didn't care. He took it up the pass one day and floored it in 3rd until a piston shot through the oil pan. Then it was fun times, installed: 2" suspension & 3" body lift; custom black metallic paint; complete transaxle and rear-end upgrade; and the cherry on the top, the small-block custom 350 offering approx. 300+ hp at the crank.

His rationale was that he could have walked away from the truck altogether; however, he just didn't feel right about plunking money down on a new truck that he would have to baby. He also didn't want a separate beater 4wheeler for the fun stuff on the side since that's all the money he would have left to offer his hobby. A complete makeover allowed him to have his pretty truck while still being able to 4wheel with air conditioning.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Well, I officially now have two options open to me:

• 1998 Chevrolet Camaro, 3800 V6, 5-speed manual transmission, Victory Red, hardtop, 176,000 miles, in excellent condition inside and out but needing a first gear synchronizer.
  • 1999 Pontiac Firebird, 3800 V6, 5-speed manual transmission, Black, T-Tops, 119,000 miles, in decent condition inside and out (needs inner door lock assemblies, a bezel that goes around the shifter boot, a driver's side taillight, and a new stereo because the display has burnt out) but in good mechanical condition.

If I can have the day off from work on Tuesday, something is going to go down ... hopefully.

"This Bird Ain't No CHICKEN!"

Actually, it's a phoenix, a mythical bird that rose from the ashes <=== paraphrase from the latest issue of Pontiac Enthusiast magazine.

A cool thing: those iconic snowflake rims are available, reproduced, to fit 4th-gen Firebirds in 17x9, they look so gorgeous in the ad on a black Trans Am. And they're advertising the old-school size of 15x8 as well, a set of 4 for like $650... it makes me want to buy a '78-'87 G-body Pontiac (LeMans, Grand Am, Grand Prix), just so I can put a set of those on...

I think you guys know which car I'm going for. Knowing my luck, I'm 100 percent certain I'm not going to get it but whatever.

Ocn, could you find me a picture of those snowflake rims? I know for the Year One Bandit Trans Am, they've reproduced them to a size even larger than that and I'm sure that they would fit as well.

Have you ever owned a vehicle that you were just about to the point of actually paying someone to take it off your hands?

I've "owned" (in some way/shape or form) 51 vehicles and I can

honestly say I've never had one get that bad... I've bought a

few $hitboxes but they were either winter beaters or bought for

the deolition derby right from the get-go.

Prob. the closest I got was my 1979 Ford Granada, which was

purchased to be a beater for few months and then demo.derby

car after.

Yet somehow I managed to roast its Inline-6 by doing something

as abusive as driving it at 65mph on the highway. Apparently the

oil-pump went (clog?) because my dipstick was showing FULL

while the top end of the motor was 99% oil-starved.

That horrific P.O.S. was a great illustration of everything I dislike

about many Fords, esp. from the mid-to-late 1970s. :puke:

Coil spring, shock absorber ... whatever. It's all suspension bits n pieces.

Suspension 101:

Struts = Unibody

Coil springs independent of shocks & vice-versa = B.O.F.

Not an absolute but a good rule of thumb iMo.

Dude, FIREBIRD. Hardtop v. T-Top.....T-Top FTW!

WRONG.

The only F-body to be a real "hardtop" was the 1st gen.

The 2nd, 3rd & 4th Gen. F-Bodys were all either technically

"3-widow coupes", hatchback coupes, T-Tops, or convertibles.

HARDTOP vs. T-Top the hardtop would win because a 1970s,

1980s or 1990s T-top anything can't touch the prices of a

1960s hardtop 1st gen. F-body.

Edited by Sixty8panther

and a new stereo because the display has burnt out

These are a piece of cake to replace the bulb in, I had to do it in my old Grand Prix which Im sure had to same late 90's Pontiac stock radio. There is actually a part number for the bulb, its around $13 bucks or something otherwise you can just pluck one out from a junked radio.

The ones I saw are the same ones used on the Year One cars. I saw the ad in one of the two Pontiac buff magazines, I'm sure it's in both.

Good luck, Mr. Jacket.

Really? I thought the ones for the Year One Bandit were about 18" or 19" in size? I might have been mistaken, though.

Thanks Ocn. :)

EDIT: I looked on Year One's site, and they are the same wheels. I was wrong.

FYI: I'm buying the Firebird. The cash price on the car is $3,500. However, I'm not going through with the original deal I offered to the lot that has it. Offering my truck in on trade plus an additional $1,000 ... well, you know who would have been screwed on that one. I'm still working it out with the dealer and I'm going to talk a little more to them this weekend. It's possible that I might be able to buy it for three-grand even and pay for it with a loan.

I'm not sure what's going to happen to the Sonoma. There's a chance it could stay within the family, though.

Also, I'm going to pick up a Firebird project car as well. I have an '03 Bombardier Rally with a bad crankshaft bearing that I'll be trying to trade to this car. This particular 'Bird is a '95 with a hefty 209,000 miles under its belt. It's previous owner treated it like an absolute dog and it needs a &#036;h&#33;load of cosmetic work, but it is 90 percent sound mechanically. This is what I'll be re-creating with it:

3011355659_98d853da45_b.jpg

3012192546_73c91408ef_b.jpg

3011358459_9d638fcbda_b.jpg

The '95 will be restored over a very long period of time. The Cutlass burned through quite a lot of my savings, money I've earned, and money I've obtained through selling my ATV and other odds and ends. As I'm working on it, it'll be my winter car to keep the miles off of the '99.

I'm not going to rest until I at least have that '99 Firebird in my possession. The '95 project I found is something that I'll have to keep my mechanical skills sharp and I'm getting rid of something completely useless to me in the process.

Here's to hoping next week turns out the way I want it to.

You know how I get those really good deals?

Patience.

It took about 3 years to find a dirt cheap 500SEC.

(I was actually hoping for a 560SEC)

You gotta hit up Craigslist every day, write down

phone numbers in a notebook and then do a

process of elimination.

Before we bought the BMW 735iL I had about 40

phone numbers in my journal. I called the top

dozen or so. Once I decided to go forward & pull

cash out and actually go look I lucked out and

bought my No.1 pick, but if I had decided to pass

on the 735iL there were a few more I had in mind.

The Sonoma is nothing but a memory now. This morning, I traded it and four-hundred dollars to a 1998 Pontiac Firebird with 141,000 miles, t-tops, and (god help me) an automatic trans in white. Oddly enough, I swore up and down that I would never own another white car when I had the Sonoma, but here I am.

This Firebird isn't perfect either. It does have its faults. The instrument cluster/center stack lighting has went dead; the taillights have went dead (but I still have brake lights); the foglights have went dead; the power window switches are, of course, dead; I don't have door keys; the headlight motor makes quite a frightening sound after the lights are retracted; I have no headlight knob; the security system has been tripped because the car has been broken into twice. Although my car has the 500-watt Monsoon sound system, I bought the car with a tape deck out of a '96 Chevy Lumina (I bought a Pioneer stereo receiver two nights previous to getting my Firebird, strangely); the steering-wheel mounted radio controls don't work ... or at least didn't work with the Lumina tape deck; I have a driver's side door off of a Trans Am because the moron who owned my poor car before me backed the car up and the door hit a telephone pole (but the color does match; it's just that one side reads "Trans Am" and the other reads "Firebird"); I have no ashtray or ashtray cover. I'm certain there might be one or two wiring issues as well.

But the drivetrain is just flawless. Out of the dozen F-Bodies I've driven over the past few months, this one has the best kick, the most git-up-n-go left. The transmission shifts smooth and the engine doesn't hesitate to put down what its got to the pavement. The exterior is in good shape, as is the interior (the dash doesn't have a single crack). The steering is so tight and precise and well weighted. And I just feel so ... right behind of the wheel of it, like I'm finally home and I've finally found somewhere I belong. It's the same feeling I have with the Cutlass. Despite it's flaws, I've fell in love with my 'Bird and I'm going to do what I can to get her flying high at full speed again.

*holds bird watching binoculars up to eyeballs and speaks in nasally voice* - "As you can see, the North American Firebird has found a suitable place to build its nest, a safe place to nurture its adopted young, a North American Yellow Jacket."

Pictures and progress reports please, Mr. Jacket, as you have them. And congrats on getting rid of the pile.

I have a driver's side door off of a Trans Am because the moron who owned my poor car before me backed the car up and the door hit a telephone pole (but the color does match; it's just that one side reads "Trans Am" and the other reads "Firebird");

Reminds me of the BiCentenial LeSabre I bought from

the kid who dragged here from Nebraska, the same

one I sold to FlyBrian two years ago.

It had an Electra 225 fender on the pass side, so the

driver's side had the appropriate three ventiports but

the pass. side had FOUR!

(so it was a LeElectra 125?! :P )

Thanks everyone. :)

No photos yet. The weather hasn't been that great in my neck of the woods and I've been getting off of work at 10.

I've fixed a lot of problems with my car today. The instrument panel lighting and taillights are finally functional: the only thing stopping them from actually working was a missing fuse (thanks to the fuse panel cover I got for free out of a junkyard today, I finally know where all of my fuses go). The headlight switch knob (another freebie) is also back on my car, so now I don't have to use the key ring slot on my ignition key to turn them on.

Tomorrow, I'm going to plunder through another junkyard again for my ashtray, ashtray cover, window switch, and a missing center stack vent. Speaking of that center stack vent, how can I get one out without it crumbling between my fingers? I pulled one from the driver's side IP cluster cover in the junkyard today but it's too large to fit.

I'm also thinking about a new screenname in celebration of my car ...