Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of the BiCentenial LeSabre I bought from

the kid who dragged here from Nebraska, the same

one I sold to FlyBrian two years ago.

It had an Electra 225 fender on the pass side, so the

driver's side had the appropriate three ventiports but

the pass. side had FOUR!

(so it was a LeElectra 125?! :P )

This triggered a memory of something I saw a few weeks ago..a clean '77 Electrasabre.... it was an Electra w/ a LeSabre front end of the same year..very clean, pale yellow w/ white interior.

Thanks everyone. :)

No photos yet. The weather hasn't been that great in my neck of the woods and I've been getting off of work at 10.

I've fixed a lot of problems with my car today. The instrument panel lighting and taillights are finally functional: the only thing stopping them from actually working was a missing fuse (thanks to the fuse panel cover I got for free out of a junkyard today, I finally know where all of my fuses go). The headlight switch knob (another freebie) is also back on my car, so now I don't have to use the key ring slot on my ignition key to turn them on.

Tomorrow, I'm going to plunder through another junkyard again for my ashtray, ashtray cover, window switch, and a missing center stack vent. Speaking of that center stack vent, how can I get one out without it crumbling between my fingers? I pulled one from the driver's side IP cluster cover in the junkyard today but it's too large to fit.

I'm also thinking about a new screenname in celebration of my car ...

I never took mine apart, but I'm guessing some careful screwdriver work would do the job. Find the mount points and gently pry away from the surrounding dash?

I never took mine apart, but I'm guessing some careful screwdriver work would do the job. Find the mount points and gently pry away from the surrounding dash?

I wish I had a photo of this brilliant piece of retarded GM engineering, but the mounting tabs are on the backside of the vent. I will try your idea though Camino, it sounds like the best course of action.

Edited by YellowJacket894

I wish I had a photo of this brilliant piece of retarded GM engineering, but the mounting tabs are on the backside of the vent. I will try your idea though Camino, it sounds like the best course of action.

Probably totally different in assembly, but I once pried off the dash trim of a Corsica and took apart the center vents and put them back together (some slats had fallen loose) with only a pocket knife with no damage.

Alot of dashboard pieces, regardless of the vehicle, have clips that you almost have to guess as to where they are and in which way to pry. Dash vents generally just pop out. I disassembled the Jetta's interior entirely, down to carpet and metal... without damaging anything.

Probably totally different in assembly, but I once pried off the dash trim of a Corsica and took apart the center vents and put them back together (some slats had fallen loose) with only a pocket knife with no damage.

I actually tried the pocket knife approach today. Long story short, the blade broke.

I actually tried the pocket knife approach today. Long story short, the blade broke.

Might want to look online for a diagram of how the dash goes together... I found an exploded diagram of how the passenger door panel on my Jeep went together, when I took it off to replace the side mirror.

My brother had 2 S-10s as daily drivers before he switched to Rangers..I never understood the appeal..just depressing, cheap, gray plastic inside...I couldn't imagine driving something like that more than once.

Meh i cant find a good stock photo of a first gen S10... but heres something close

21287490002_large.jpg

what was wrong with those old dashes? Why did GM move from something at least decent to look at to a sea of grey?

Teh, you bring back fond memories of my '83 S-10. My dad, brother and I were just talking about that old truck last week.

Ohhh... now I see where you were going with the thread title (need to vent?) Good luck w/those dash vents.

Edited by ocnblu

I got another dash vent today. Apparently, the way to take one out is to pop off the outer ring then pop the inner assembly out using the mounting tabs and a flathead screwdriver. I also have a cigarette lighter now and my Pioneer receiver is up and running quite nicely.

I'm also broke. There isn't any cash left to burn through to spend on the car, so some things are going to have to wait until next week when my next paycheck rolls around.

But so far, everything is shaping up quite nice.

Okay, you wanted 'em and you got 'em. Here are some pics from tonight after I removed the mismatched door badges.

SANY1120.jpg

SANY1122.jpg

SANY1124.jpg

SANY1126.jpg

SANY1127.jpg

SANY1128.jpg

Next up is to have all four wheels matching, replace the white passenger side door handle with the black one I have (so that both handles match), and replace the driver's side window motor and the passenger side window switch. After that I'm buying a Flowmaster exhaust system and a Whisper airbox lid and looking for other performance bolt-ons I can pick up for my Firebird.

I had a good friend help me out on the door lock keys so I'm back in business there.

Better photos are on the way after I smooth out the two other problems with my exterior.

That's a Formula front bumper, my friend. I like. From what I can tell, the body's pretty straight and it has a nice shine. Nice find.

That's a Formula front bumper, my friend. I like. From what I can tell, the body's pretty straight and it has a nice shine. Nice find.

I'm glad I could confuse someone. :AH-HA_wink:

The '98 Firebird and '98 Firebird Formula were indistinguishable from one another. Basically, the Formula was just the Trans Am's drivetrain stuffed into the regular Firebird body. However, Formula buyers could buy almost any option they wanted from both the Firebird and Trans Am spec sheets.

And thank ya. :D

Your nostrils have been painted white, they should be blacked-out.

Are you sure about that? I always thought that the hood somewhat overlapping the nostrils gave them the impression of being blacked-out when they really weren't. I do know that some of the excess white you see in the second nighttime shot I posted was caused by the flash on my camera.

Glad to see you got something you wanted. Best of luck with it!

Thank ya sir. :)

Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Oh, I have some plans in store for my F4. I want to eventually buy a SLP Ram Air Firehawk hood, a Ram Air induction kit, a 2" lowering kit, a Flowmaster Cat Back exhaust, and eventually a set of Year One's 17" reproduction snowflake rims in black and a ProCharger Supercharger (if I don't swap the engine out). I'm also toying around with the idea of putting a T/A hatch on the car too.

This is making me want a Formula.

A F4 Formula is going to be my next car purchase. :AH-HA_wink:

That is, if I don't find a tidy '77 T/A.

Those are definitely the ONLY rim to put on that car. I like the rest of your dream list, too.

I thought about a set of O-Zs or Enkei, but I knew the Snowflakes were the only rims that would look right at home on my Firebird.

Thank ya again. :P

I wonder if Year One also sells the big bad bird hood graphic they slap on the hood of the Bandit T/A too ... ?

I'm retawded. I always thought the nostrils were functional, even on the V6 models.

The nostrils are somewhat functional, they aren't completely blocked off by the hood. Some cold air can get to the engine from them.

Very cool find, and I'm digging the performance V6 route; I can't wait to see how that turns out! Just don't forget about your other, cooler car. :P

Leave it up to me to be the one to take a different route from the rest of the crowd.

And the Cutlass is not forgotten. I still have some work to do to it, although it is pretty much completely finished. I still have to put the front bumper on (and replace the back bumper whenever the money comes in), install the headliner, and do some detailing here and there.

:drool:

You did a phenomenal job with that, YJ. Rear decklid looks fabulous - I seem to remember that being the one rust spot on it. How was the repair on it?

You gotta finish her off right with a set of Olds rally wheels. Make the trip up to Carlisle and you'll probably find a set on the cheap.

:drool:

You did a phenomenal job with that, YJ. Rear decklid looks fabulous - I seem to remember that being the one rust spot on it. How was the repair on it?

Thank ya Z.

As for repairing the rust on the decklid, while I didn't actually do the repair (the guys who painted it fixed it), I do know it was minimal surface rust.

You gotta finish her off right with a set of Olds rally wheels. Make the trip up to Carlisle and you'll probably find a set on the cheap.

I'm one step ahead of you there. You'd be surprised how many people have Olds rally wheels just lying around down here. I bought two from my friend who owns a '71 Supreme with a factory 455 big block and I picked up another two from a guy who was installing a 302 in my friend's '66 Mustang hardtop. I already had one in the trunk of the car when I bought it as well. :P

Why is the decklid sticking up on the lower left side, is the paint drying? It looks like it's not closed or bent somehow ...

The alignment on the rear decklid (as well as the hood) isn't spot-on. In fact, it's wayyyy off. It's something I'm going to have to go back and fix soon.

Oh now you've went and made me mad, Veeze. :P

I have about fifty bucks less invested in my rallys versus the ones you linked up to. But they're in nowhere in as good of shape. :(

I still have to go through the pain-in-the-ass process of sandblasting and painting mine.