The Changing Aura Concept

CSpec

I've noticed that GM has changed a few things in the Aura concept to make it closer to the production model. Here's the original concept, shown last winter, followed by the Aura on display at the SEMA show a couple of weeks ago:

Original
Posted Image

Modified
Posted Image

The differences are slight, but they're there. For instance, the original had a digital display at the top of the stack, which has been replaced with a basic airbag indicator light:

Posted Image

Additionally, the genuine titanium accents on the instrument panel have been replaced with a gray plastic:

Posted Image

Edited by CSpec

As long as the interior does not drastically change, I won't have a problem with it. While the digital display was pretty cool, the interior doesn't loose much without it. The loss of the titanium accents is bad. It really cheapens the interior. How about some sort of aluminum or chrome? It's worth the extra $10 per car!

The airbag light probably suggests that it's pretty close to the production interior. I've said this before, but I'm not impressed by the Subaru Forester design at all. I would have much preferred a more modern, Astra-like dash. Other than the showcar glitz and glamor, I don't find it any more attractive or distinctive than the Fusion's, Accord's, or even Altima's.

As long as the interior does not drastically change, I won't have a problem with it.  While the digital display was pretty cool, the interior doesn't loose much without it.  The loss of the titanium accents is bad.  It really cheapens the interior.  How about some sort of aluminum or chrome?  It's worth the extra $10 per car!

[post="42347"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Putting something expensive like aerospace titanium in a volume production car is a huge waste and everyone knows it. However, low-reflectivity aluminum would've been nicer.

Here's something to consider...especially given the "stuck-in" look of the airbag light. Maybe the display unit is changing or some other minor change is occurring in that area so GM just put in a random part so there wasn't a big gaping hole there? It's happened before... And I think the AURA will get the piano black center stack upon intro...right? I'd wait until a later auto show to see the final production version. The new steering wheel is a plus, though.

Very little has changed on the interior.

For that much, I am grateful.

[post="44071"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ditto. We all new Titanium wouldn't make it to production. What matters is that the car's dash is still great looking, and has not really shifted much from the original at all. I still love the that orange leather. I'd love to see that make it to production. Reminds me of Infiniti's (which I also like).

I really wish that GM would start tell it's suppliers to change the color of the Radio and HVAC controls to match the color schemes of the interiors. It's a major gripe I have. They did it on the Cobalt but they can't do it on a mid-$20,000 to mid-$30,000 car? This is the same with the new Escalade. The only real gripe I have with the new Escalade is that the whole center console has this cheap looking black plastic radio that looks like it was jammed in there at the last second. If they at could at least put a coat of paint on the radios, the appearance of the interiors would be much more inviting.

I knew titanium would have never made production, I'm not that stupid, but it's obvious something is lacking with the interior. This is the sort of thing that some have mentioned...watering down designs. The center stack with the metal around it (no matter what kind of metal) looks 100 times better than the one without. Details matter a lot more than you'd think.

the Aura show car interior design was a 'has been' to begin with. the only thing that made it glitzy for the auto shows was the baseball glove color leather seating, the metal trim accents (which appear to have been costed out as expected) and the ghetto interior lighting package. take away those show car bits, the large wheel arches and such and we are left with another sub-ordinary, pushrod equipped (in the base engine) GM sedan. One that happens to look on the outside a lot like an 'I can buy it now' Dodge Stratus. We've all seen the spy shots and its fairly obvious the production car will not have the stance, and 'aura' if you will...of the show car. that said, if the interior upgrades in the Aura are as nice as some of the revisions on the Vue interior, than, with leather, reasonable plastic, and the 3.6vvt and 6 speed auto..the Aura should be a very good sedan. Just not very distinctive. I agree, it should have more of an Opel Astra/Vectra interior. Edited by regfootball

But my point is that this is a 2008 vehicle, and it is particularly NOT flush.  Plus, Saturns are supposed to get the piano black treatment which is CLEARLY not present in these pictures.  Again, not quite the final product.

[post="44580"][/post]

That better be the case because I'm sooo F'ING sick of the cheap ass black center stacks. If this is production, this is another sub-par effort from concept to reality.

Like others have said, they should have stuck with the Vectra interior.

Posted Image Edited by nzr

I can tell you now that you DO NOT want that Opel radio / CD. It is a real POS to use and they have made it far too complicated - in fact the BMW i-drive is easier to use! The Europeans seem intent on making everything as 'tech' as possible. I just want a car that is easy to use - the Monaro / GTO radio is an example of good layout, although the speakers could be better and a i-pod jack installed.

The Aura would be flying off the lots with that interior even if its exterior styling is watered down from the concept. I'm sure GM could simplify it a bit if it's hard to use like some have pointed out. Otherwise, there's no contest.

While the Vectra interior is more upscale, I can't say that I like it's design.  It looks too busy.

[post="44723"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

the squareness of the vectra interior reminds me of my old volvo.

but the aura is looking good. just dont make it cheap. im likeing it and would consider buying one Edited by Fah-King-Cool

It's interesting how Americans seem to like the Vectra's interior. It's good quality, but it got some criticism from reviewers over here for dash ergonomics, regarding mostly the center stack where the radio and AC controls are.

It's interesting how Americans seem to like the Vectra's interior. It's good quality, but it got some criticism from reviewers over here for dash ergonomics, regarding mostly the center stack where the radio and AC controls are.

[post="45006"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That seems about right to me, even just judging from pics only. Overall quality and materials seems "right", but certain things like the blocky center stack and too low climate controls are questionable.

But my point is that this is a 2008 vehicle, and it is particularly NOT flush.  Plus, Saturns are supposed to get the piano black treatment which is CLEARLY not present in these pictures.  Again, not quite the final product.

[post="44580"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Okay... look at it this way. It's not flush in the concept, the revised concept, nor most vehicles its been installed in. This radio unit cannot be changed to fit the dash. The dash has to be changed to fit the radio. It's clear as it has a flat face. It's not curved for curved dashes. It stays flat. It's a standard unit and as of now only comes in GM black plastic. If you really think the Aura will have anything other than that when the much more upscale Lucerne doesn't... I'd say you're expecting too much from the General and are just setting yourself up for another letdown. The only Saturn we've seen the piano black finish in is the Sky. Because one vehicle gets it... they all are going to get it? The Sky is niche. The Aura is not. GM simply won't do it. I'll bet my life on it...

That's really sad. I was looking forward to a first-rate car for Saturn (which the concept essentially was), not a melted down, "it's good enough" bland egg. Actually, a bland brown egg because the interior has one good thing going for it: the awesome leather color.

Okay... look at it this way. It's not flush in the concept, the revised concept, nor most vehicles its been installed in. This radio unit cannot be changed to fit the dash. The dash has to be changed to fit the radio. It's clear as it has a flat face. It's not curved for curved dashes. It stays flat. It's a standard unit and as of now only comes in GM black plastic. If you really think the Aura will have anything other than that when the much more upscale Lucerne doesn't... I'd say you're expecting too much from the General and are just setting yourself up for another letdown. The only Saturn we've seen the piano black finish in is the Sky. Because one vehicle gets it... they all are going to get it? The Sky is niche. The Aura is not. GM simply won't do it. I'll bet my life on it...

[post="45240"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You are right...I thought it was flush on the original concept but upon closer inspection it is not. That said, the radio units would not need to have the shape changed, merely the trim piece surrounding the center stack would need to be contoured to provide a "flush" fit. It could be contoured to be flush against the radio and HVAC controls as well as the dash. But it wasn't in the concept. As for piano black, it was announced that will be a Saturn feature, not just for the SKY. Also, if they can do it to the SKY, they could use the same units in the AURA, could they not?

You are right...I thought it was flush on the original concept but upon closer inspection it is not. That said, the radio units would not need to have the shape changed, merely the trim piece surrounding the center stack would need to be contoured to provide a "flush" fit. It could be contoured to be flush against the radio and HVAC controls as well as the dash. But it wasn't in the concept.

Yeah... that's what I meant.

As for piano black, it was announced that will be a Saturn feature, not just for the SKY. Also, if they can do it to the SKY, they could use the same units in the AURA, could they not?

Well, they could... but I've seen no proof that they would. It's not in the concept and it was supposed to almost exactly the same as production (other than the usual prod. changes, that is). It's going to be toned down just a bit, basically. A piano black finish would be a step up and I doubt the General is up for it. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm keeping my expectations low.

I REALLY hope that the passenger airbag indicator is not permanent! If it is, then it is just another sign of GM not doing things 100%. It'll probably be constantly lit as well, meaning a glowing orange marker in the middle of the dash to distract you. It may seem silly, but I think it really distracts from the interior. Other cars in it's class have nice digital displays, why can't this? Too bad, the Aura was tops on the list when I'm in the market next fall.

• 2 weeks later...

Dude...that half of the digital display JUST had an airbag indicator light on it.  No big loss from my point of view...

[post="46895"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, but the digital airbag supression indicator looks so much more upscale than the GM corporate one. At least its not the rearview mirror based one found on most GM cars. I was hoping for a 9-3 esque digital display there. If the 16000 Mazda6 can have this, why cant the 25000 Aura.

Speaking of, I bought a 03 9-3 Vector for 26000 new. Why would anyone get a more expensive G6 or Aura epsilon when they can get deals like that?

That seems about right to me, even just judging from pics only.  Overall quality and materials seems "right", but certain things like the blocky center stack and too low climate controls are questionable.

[post="45014"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Too many tiny buttons...
Materials are not Luxury-car-like but newer Opel cars, like the Astra and Vectra are very well put together.

• 4 weeks later...
I miss the digital display at the top of the dash as well. I also am an American that enjoys the appearance of Opel's Vectra (and more so the Astra) despite the possibility or ergonomic shortcomings. Certain European vehicles have interiors that are quite unnerving. Finally, these ridiculous PASSENGER AIRBAG OFF lights are driving me nuts. It's probably going to endup encouraging drivers to ignore important alerts concerning items like oil, coolant, even fuel, or tire pressure. I believe that there shouldn't be a lamp concerning the passenger side airbag at all. You know it's there. You should also know that the newest vehicles are able to turn it off below a certain weight threshold on the seat.

I miss the digital display at the top of the dash as well.
I also am an American that enjoys the appearance of Opel's Vectra (and more so the Astra) despite the possibility or ergonomic shortcomings. Certain European vehicles have interiors that are quite unnerving.

Finally, these ridiculous PASSENGER AIRBAG OFF lights are driving me nuts. It's probably going to endup encouraging drivers to ignore important alerts concerning items like oil, coolant, even fuel, or tire pressure. I believe that there shouldn't be a lamp concerning the passenger side airbag at all. You know it's there. You should also know that the newest vehicles are able to turn it off below a certain weight threshold on the seat.

[post="73481"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree they are so stupid! it should be w/ the review mirror like in the trucks OR not there at all, end of story.