Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pow

US-spec Golf GTI info/pics released

10 posts in this topic

Happily, we're getting the 5-door version this time round, and it starts at just $22,350, but WHAT ON EARTH WERE THEY THINKING when they put 4x4 suspension on it?!

Euro version:
Posted Image

US version:
Posted Image

Posted Image

It looks ready for the Dakar Rally or something! VW of North America gets it all wrong these days...

Still, I really look forward to driving one.. it should be interesting to see how it fares with the Cooper S MINI. The Golf will be more practical and refined, but the smaller Mini will probably be more of a thrill. Both are classy, iconic, and unassuming, and both look particularly good in white, IMO.

Apparently, VW has gotten the original GTI formula just right again, and it's much sharper to drive than the previous generation one, which was a bit of a boat. Edited by empowah

The rims.... the front end.... the unpainted trim... ugh..... uuuu.... *runs to bathroom* :puke: The 5-door Euro looks a million times better though. And in black, it won't look so bad, I would drive it.

It's 95% lighting & car color; I superimposed them & scaled them to identical rim size & wheelbase and the cowls match up perfectly. The rooflines are different, tho. The red car also bears evidence of being superimposed on it's background: it's tires have nearly no weight deflection while the black one quite clearly does. Tho VW has not been known for thinking in recent years... this time is appears they didn't flub this one.

Oh when when when can I see one at my local dealer? I think those are the optional 18" rims, aren't 17s standard? White or bright blue with plaid cloth, that's what I want. :)

I guess I'm the only one who thinks the current Golf looks better?

Nope. The current one is much better then this one.

It's 95% lighting & car color; I superimposed them & scaled them to identical rim size & wheelbase and the cowls match up perfectly. The rooflines are different, tho.
The red car also bears evidence of being superimposed on it's background: it's tires have nearly no weight deflection while the black one quite clearly does.
Tho VW has not been known for thinking in recent years... this time is appears they didn't flub this one.

[post="42476"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, even VW say they've raised the suspension by 0.4" to make it "better" for US roads. It's noticeable, particularly in the 3/4 views.

Well, even VW say they've raised the suspension by 0.4" to make it "better" for US roads. It's noticeable, particularly in the 3/4 views.

[post="42526"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

0.4 inches isn't very much...it makes sense, get it too low and you end up with a car that has trouble with speed bumps, angled driveways, curbs... Edited by moltar

If you are spotting a 3/8-inch difference in ground clearance from a few cars length distance without the 2 vehicles in question being right next to each other, you have excellent visual perception. Most cars of the same make/model often differ by that much due to inattention to tire pressure alone.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0