2010 Hyundai Genesis 2.0T

I went by the Hyundai/Subaru/Mazda store today specifically to look at the Genesis Coupe. They had 3 on the lot (and 1 more that was out on a test-drive when I got there) but the one I was immediately drawn to was a Lime Rock Green 2.0T. There was a red 3.8 on the lot too, and 306hp is obviously better than 210, but I drove the green one anyways, since I was most interested to see how Hyundai does a turbocharged 4cyl. The other one was a Nordschleife Gray 4cyl manual, it was the best looking of the bunch.

First Impression: The is a very attractive car in person. Its well proportioned and inoffensive, while the window dip at least keeps things interesting. Inside the feeling is pure quality, Hyundai has come a long was in the last decade. Its no Jaguar, but is a perfectly acceptable driving environment.

Taking the Seat: The seats are aggressively bolstered, I imagine larger individuals will find them uncomfortable, but they were fine for me. This being the base model, there was no power adjustment for the seat, but it only took about thirty seconds to get in a good position. Outward visibility was good in all directions, no huge blind spots. The HVAC and radio controls were close enough and had a good, solid feel to them. Even the base model has steering wheel controls for the radio, an iPod input and airbags galore. And the backlit gauges look fantastic.

Taking to the Streets: First thing I noticed is that the engine is quiet. Second thing I found out is that the brakes are really, really strong. The sweet little 2.0 has some serious grunt, more than enough to merge onto a busy highway without slowing things down. The 5-speed automatic shifts smoothly, I didn't try out manual mode. The excursion on the highway led to one of the car's two faults. There is a lot of road noise at highway speeds, its louder than either the MINI or the Prius. To be fair, I was driving it with the radio off, I bet that on my daily commute, with some tunes, it wouldn't be an issue. But getting off the highway is when the fun started. This car handles really, really well. Very buttoned down, and the steering is perfectly weighted. Going down the side roads and back roads was fantastic. I imagine using manual mode (or saving $1250 and getting the stick) would make it easier to keep the car in its power band, but it did just fine with the automatic. After going through a few twisties, I decided that the 4cyl is definitely the way to go the V6 is heavier up front.

The After-Drive Walkaround: This is where I found the cars other major flaw, the trunk is tiny. Its wide, and pretty deep, but not tall at all. 10 cubic feet total, about twice what the Cooper will hold, but still not a whole lot. The back seat is surprisingly comfortable, although there isn't a ton of headroom or legroom or waistroom, so dont ever plan on having tall fat people back there. For kids it would be fine, access is really easy too, so a child seat is a non-issue.

I'm sure I left a few things out, but this is, by far, Hyundai's best car ever. I could see someone picking a Genesis 2.0T over a Mustang V6. I'll have to drive a 3.8 Track, but I have a feeling it'll give the Mustang GT a run for its money. Money is the other big deal, $22,000 for the base models that doesn't need to apologize for anything. $2,250 more will get you a power seat, sunroof, push-button start and premium sound. For under $27,000 you can get the 2.0T Track, with 19 inch wheels, Brembo brakes, limited slip and tighter suspension. Stepping up to the 3.8 gets you another 96 horsepower starting out at $25,000 going up to just under $30,000 for the Track model, which promises to be a wild ride.

Sorry guys, but it looks like the days of hating on Hyundai is over, the Genesis Coupe is a really terrific ride.

So, do you just walk into a dealership and say you're interested in test driving one of their cars? I never know how to approach that. I want to take one for a spin, as well as a Challenger, Camaro, and Mustang.

The Genesis is without a doubt Hyundai's best offering. It's a design that can stand on its own and not be picked apart saying "oh it looks like this and this and this" and it seems actually fun to drive.

So, do you just walk into a dealership and say you're interested in test driving one of their cars? I never know how to approach that. I want to take one for a spin, as well as a Challenger, Camaro, and Mustang.

The Genesis is without a doubt Hyundai's best offering. It's a design that can stand on its own and not be picked apart saying "oh it looks like this and this and this" and it seems actually fun to drive.

I didn't even walk in, I drove around the lot once to see what they had, then parked and walked over to the green Coupe. The salesman came out, we chatted for a minute, he grabbed the keys to the gray one so I could look inside, then the keys to the green one so I could take it for a spin. I was honest, said I was interested in the car, never said anything about being interested in buying it.

Get that Buick going and there you go. :P

Yeah yeah. I probably shouldn't have wasted all that time tearing down the old engine thats going to be sold for scrap. Its a matter of getting all the parts together, hopefully by the end of April.

See, I was interested in driving a Charger some months ago, they asked if I was buying...I'm liek well I don't know I'd have to drive it to see if I like it first.

Never did get to drive one.

Probably didn't hurt that I drove up in a shiny, clean, new car.

Your review is pretty much the same as I've read elsewhere. It's not meant to be a supercar, so performance is exactly where to expect it should be with its competitors. In the end, its drawbacks will be coming from those only interested in big-displacement V8s and hulky proportions; as well as the fact that it's an "import". Aside from that, it's a real driver's car. Thanks for the review. Today was officially my last car payment date, so we have the family hauling '05 Grand Caravan and the runabout '04 Optra5 clear. It'll come a long way to help decide what's out there if I find myself in a position to acquire a personal weekender ride.

... with an 18-month old and a newborn on the way in June? Heh, weekends are booked for the next three years.

fixed.

Grandma, cousins, uncles & aunts, or the day-nanny can babysit and I'll get me another 2-seater (well, the '83 944 was a 2+2, but technicalities aside). "Oh shoot kids, only enough room for mom. Well, SEE YA!"

But yeah, the voice of reality speaks volumes, doesn't it?

Car is great as long as you are not over 5'8" tall. The car is spunky and a great fun ride, but for people like me at 6'6" tall 275lbs it does not work.

DF just go in and tell the sales person you are interested in looking at "Define the car" and once you check it out, ask if you can test drive it. Once the test drive is over, ask for the persons business card and let them know you will be in touch as you are just starting to review cars and once you have finished looking at the others, you will make a decision.

I have never had a dealership ever decline me. I test drive all the time as I like to check out the various SUV / trucks.

Have fun on the drives. :)

I'm 6'3 and had plenty of room left overhead. I dont fit in the Tiburon, but the Genesis will hold tall people, bith the salesman and I were over 6 feet tall, I was an inch or two taller than him. It will be difficult for wide people, but any car with aggressively bolstered seats will.

Every Huundai sale is a sale Toyopet & Hon-Duh do NOT get.

So it's not all bad. :P

Sorry guys, but it looks like the days of hating on Hyundai is over, the Genesis Coupe is a really terrific ride.

I'm a fan of the new RWD Hyundai twins.

Does the Genesis coupe qualify for a

"retro" moniker since it's the first RWD

hatchback since the '70s Hyundai Pony?

hyundaipony1975hb5o00.jpg

Last week, while on a break from work, I saw my first Genesis Coupe on the road. It was in that very cool green. Saw the dealer plate, and made sure to go after work for a looksee.

Turns out they got it that day, and were driving it to get gas (when I saw it earlier).

It was in the garage getting prepped, but the friendly dealer showed me their second car, a silver loaded V6.

I didn't get to drive it cause it was late, but damn what a nice car. The seats are snug as Satty mentioned, but thats a good thing IMO. They hold you in place when its "fun-time".

Interior fit and finish is very good, and the materials feel solid to the touch.

The GenCoupe really strikes me as a Tiburon all grown up.

Its like this....

KINDERGARTEN:

1993.hyundai.scoupe.5262-396x249.jpg

GRADE SCHOOL:

1997_Tiburon.jpg

(needed glasses later on...)

286889.jpg

HIGH SCHOOL:

03.hyundai.tiburon.f34.500.jpg

COLLEGE:

SD537393.JPG

ADULTHOOD!:

medium_2339890239_51e42cbae6_o.jpg

Performance isn't just about going in a straight line. Because it's relatively light, and more balanced with the smaller motor, it handles with better poise and agility.

I know this Kimura, but for around the same price I could buy a Camaro LS and go faster while handling better.

• 3 weeks later...