Arkus strikes again

Arkus met me at the door again this evening when I returned home from work.

This time, he not only escaped his crate, he dismembered it.

I have no idea how to contain him now.

Clearly, no crate can hold him.

Fortunately, Zora was safely locked in my bedroom so no violence this time.

Unless you count the crate. Arkus broke half a dozen welds and twisted the reinforcement rods like pretzels. After making a hole big enough, he pushed the heavy pressboard "floor" I just installed out of the crate far enough to again escape through the small openings in the bottom. All of the chains and huge C-clamps are still in place, and the crate is still chained to the cast-iron radiator.

Unbelieveable.

I guess I'll have to put him in the barn for the night.

1000168ob2.jpg

Nice 1977 and nice stacked lamps / vertical bar grille. That year's Malibu Classic coupe was sort of ok.

You think this is a nasty form of separation anxiety? I like mellower pets, that's for sure.

"Moar Dog-Hedrum in yor wheel wells dan in a '99 Stang"

I dont mean to sound like an ass, but have you ever considered training him?

This sounds like a job for Caesar Milan. :P

Both dogs are trained in the basics. It really isn't an issue of training.

Either one is dramatically better in the absense of the other one.

Anyway, an older couple came to meet them today with an eye toward adopting one of them.

I hate it, but it's the right thing to do.

Nice 1977 and nice stacked lamps / vertical bar grille. That year's Malibu Classic coupe was sort of ok.

You think this is a nasty form of separation anxiety? I like mellower pets, that's for sure.

Interesting...just realized that in '77 Ford, Chevy and Plymouth (and Dodge) all had midsize models w/ stacked quad headlights..twas a brief mini-revival of the '60s stacked headlight fad.

Are they two males or two females? Normally males and females don't fight, even if they are litter mates ...

Actually, the research I've done shows that the littermate problem is gender nuetral except that the females tend to be worse.

I will never adopt littermates again, and strongly advise against it.

Yes, two males.

My brother-In-Law got a male poodle when it was a pup, when he brought it home, it wasn't doing to well, wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink etc ... The breeder called him up to ask how the pup was doing, he told him not to good ... The breeder said the pup's brother was not doing to good either ... So my Brother-In-Law went and bought the other pup too. To this day those two dogs are best friends, and don't like to be separated at all ... Kind of the reverse of what you're going through ...

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

My brother-In-Law got a male poodle when it was a pup, when he brought it home, it wasn't doing to well, wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink etc ... The breeder called him up to ask how the pup was doing, he told him not to good ... The breeder said the pup's brother was not doing to good either ... So my Brother-In-Law went and bought the other pup too. To this day those two dogs are best friends, and don't like to be separated at all ... Kind of the reverse of what you're going through ...

Ironic.

That was the exact scenario that I thought I was creating.

Sadly, not to be.

I will agree with PCS. My dad had gotten two Indian Hounds to guard our farm back in 1999. They were almost identical except one had a crescent shaped white mark on his head and other had a circular shaped one on his head. Those two puppies were like best friends. They ate, drank and pooped at the same time. We never saw each of them without the other. If you called one the other would come running with him.

Someone stole one of the dogs when the dogs were a year and a half. Soon after the incident, the other one fell sick and was not the same playful animal we saw growing up. When the stolen dog returned home after a couple of months he was in an abomination of a condition. He weighed almost third of what he was when he was stolen. His eyes were blood red and was running a fever of 103 F. He was badly abused and beaten. He only let my father and his brother around him while he lay in his favorite spot where both of them slept when they were pups. The beaten dog died within a week after he came back. The other dog just laid on the spot crying for a week, neither eating nor drinking anything. He finally died in exactly seven days after the first one died.

I had never seen such a closeness in any litter pups. That is why when I saw Arkus and Zora together, they reminded me of the pups we had.

I will agree with PCS. My dad had gotten two Indian Hounds to guard our farm back in 1999. They were almost identical except one had a crescent shaped white mark on his head and other had a circular shaped one on his head. Those two puppies were like best friends. They ate, drank and pooped at the same time. We never saw each of them without the other. If you called one the other would come running with him.

Someone stole one of the dog when the dogs were a year and a half. Soon after the incident, the other one fell sick and was not the same playful animal we saw growing up. When the stolen dog returned home after a couple of months he was in an abomination of a condition. He weighed almost third of what he was when he was stolen. His eyes were blood red and was running a fever of 103 F. He was badly abused and beaten. He only let my father and his brother around him while he lay in his favorite spot where both of them slept when they were pups. The beaten dog died within a week after he came back. The other dog just laid on the spot crying for a week, neither eating nor drinking anything. He finally died in exactly seven days after the first one died.

I had never seen such a closeness in any litter pups. That is why when I saw Arkus and Zora together, they reminded me of the pups we had.

Incredibly sad story.

I do wish that A and Z were devoted to one another like that - but that's only a wish. The reality is just the opposite.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for three groups of people:

Pedophiles

Animal Abusers

Automobile Abusers :P.

Camino, have ever had a chance to ask for some advice from an expert in the field and how the sibling animosity might be reduced? I am sure this behavior might be researched by someone somewhere.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for three groups of people:

Pedophiles

Animal Abusers

Automobile Abusers :P.

Camino, have ever had a chance to ask for some advice from an expert in the field and how the sibling animosity might be reduced? I am sure this behavior might be researched by someone somewhere.

Yeah, I had some e-mail exchange with a bigtime breeder/trainer who has put some great info online.

His assesment was that they can never be together and that the behaviour cannot be "corrected".

His advice was to find one a new home, which I tried to do back when they were only 9 months old.

Since then, dealing with this has been a huge drain on the experience of having them. Bad for all three of us, really.

The funny thing is, Arkus is insecure about not being locked into his crate now.

Everytime I get up to do something in the house, he runs to me and then into his crate, sits down, and looks at me expectantly.

So tonight I gave him his treat and closed the door of the battered crate before I went to Wawa. When I got back he was still in there lying down comfortably.

He's in there now, cool as a cucumber.

:stupid:

The funny thing is, Arkus is insecure about not being locked into his crate now.

Everytime I get up to do something in the house, he runs to me and then into his crate, sits down, and looks at me expectantly.

So tonight I gave him his treat and closed the door of the battered crate before I went to Wawa. When I got back he was still in there lying down comfortably.

Maybe something is spooking him while you're gone and causing him to panic and eat his way out(?)

Animals....gotta love em.

Also your post makes me think of getting WaWa for dinner tonight.