Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Your favorite Impala model year

62impala

The Chevrolet Impala has been the most popular American automotive nameplate of all time (I'm almost positive)... Which Impala was your favorite? I saw mine on Halloween night 1961, when my parents came home with a gleaming new 1962 Impala Sport Sedan (4-door hardtop), white with the red stripe down the belt line, and that gorgeous red interior with the subtle black stripes and chrome buttons; it had the small block 283 V8, Powerglide (2-speed) automatic transmission, and a rear-mounted radio mast antenna. I fell in love with the Chevrolet Impala that night, over 44 years ago, as a not-quite 10 year old kid, and I've been driving Chevrolets for almost my entire life. I currently own a 2004 Impala LS with the sport appearance package; it's white, of course, but with the beige leather interior; I also just bought my family a 2005 Bermuda Blue Tahoe LT (although I now wish that I would've waited for the '07). So, what was your favorite Impala? Edited by 62impala

Posted Image

*comes out from under the table*

OK, before you beat me, I'm not serious. '58 had nice lower lights that remind me of that one Cadillac design with the two lower lights underneath the headlights. The '66 was sleek and sporty looking for its size. I really don't know enough about the early ones to pick a definitive favorite.

Nuff Said ???????

Posted Image

IMO, I'm not sure that the Impala was the most popular model. I've seen reports that say the Chevelle held that title, and then for youse 60's folks, don't forget
that Bel Air came first!
B)

So, what was your favorite Impala?

Can't say I really have a favorite.....

My grandparents had an early '70s Impala ('74, iirc) ... and I absolutely loved that car.....

Other than that, I like the '58 Impala....

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
"I wonder if it's too late" ... Nickelback ... 'Photograph'

I always liked the 1977-85 versions, mostly because my Grandma owned a 1978 brown wagon, with a tan or so vinyl interior. And my friend's Mom at one time had a 1982 sedan, saddled with the V-6 engine and 3-speed automatic transmission. For some reason, I used to want a light blue 1983 sedan-I always liked the front grille on those. The 1969-70 had nice styling too.

We had a '67 Caprice (Impala with more toys), so I am a little biased. '65 (which was the Impala's best year ever for sales) would be a very close second. We have a customer who pulls in here with a white on white '65 convertible in great shape. It is strange to see these cars today because they are so spartan inside, compared to today's cars. She has power windows, no radio, no a/c. The dash is nice, but pretty devoid of gadgets.

From 1958-85, the full sized Cheverolet line went by more trim names then just Impala. Don't forget BelAir, Caprice, and Biscayne. I grew up with 60's Big Chevies and all of them from 1955-70 were my favorites, but the 61-69 SS's were the best. Top 5 Model years I like: 1969, 65, 61, 70, and 58 Up until 1969, one could buy a 2 door BelAir or Biscayne strippo with a big block motor and a 4 speed. To those that look down on Chevys, well the only differnce since the late 70's from the B-O-P cars is trim and name badges. And with the way GM is going, looks like Chevy and Caddy will be all of GM. Edited by Chicagoland

First off I can respect and understand Balthazar's view point... But I DO love many Impalas and almost bought a 1963 2dr Hardtop/283/powerglide and on another occasion considered buying slightly used 2000 LS.

I will not be boxed in. I will now name in no particular order Seven of my favorites: Why seven? Why not! :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This white one is exactly like the one I almost bought. :wub:

Edited by Sixty8panther

No one called me on the technicality that the '96 9C1 (LT1 powerd) Mass State Trooper Cruiser is actually a Caprice Classic. I thought I was going to get bitched out for that one. Mauybe I should have just posted a bunch of Caprices & Biscaynes instead. Edited by Sixty8panther

Well, I suppose I should say the '61, since my Father bought my Mother a '61 Impala SS sedan as a present for being pregnant with me (however, she gave up a '57 Bel Air convertible, sooooo...) but I always thought that the '72 was one of the best looking Chevy's ever. Actually, I think the '72 GM B-bodies were pretty nice all around.

Any Impala from the `90's is ugly. Especially the Caprice based one. The generation prior to the current one was ugly too. The 2006's look better to me.