Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Obama Orders Chevrolet and Dodge Out Of NASCAR

I'm still skeptical on this, but Car and Driver is a legit source:

In a move sure to spark outrage, the White House announced today that GM and Chrysler must cease participation in NASCAR at the end of the 2009 season if they hope to receive any additional financial aid from the government. Companies around the globe—Honda and Audi, to name two—have drawn down racing operations, and NASCAR itself has already felt the pinch in the form of reduced team spending. A complete withdrawal from America’s premier racing series is expected to save more than $250 million between GM and Chrysler, a substantial amount considering the drastic measures being implemented elsewhere.

“Automakers used to operate on the principle of ‘win on Sunday, sell on Monday,’ but the Auto Task Force’s research just doesn’t validate that as true,” said the statement from President Obama. While fans have decried the Car of Tomorrow for heavily limiting what little personalization the cookie-cutter series had previously allowed to participating manufacturers, and drivers have slammed its brick-like aerodynamics and unpredictable handling, even the governmental oversight committee sees that the full-scale regulation of the cars leaves the manufacturers very little space for research and development. “NASCAR is a racing series that regulates down to the smallest detail of the cars, where a car badged a Chevrolet or Dodge differs only marginally from a Ford or a Toyota. There’s no technological development to speak of.”

The statement goes on further to say the same demand will be made of Ford if it asks for government assistance. “In order to receive this money, corporations must demonstrate they will spend it wisely. Racing has been said to improve on-road technology, but frankly, NASCAR almost flaunts its standing among the lowest-tech forms of motorsport. NASCAR is not proven to drive advancements that transfer from the racetrack to the road, and this nation’s way forward does not hinge on decades-old technology. We need new, and we need innovation.”

The President realizes this will be an unpopular call, but stands behind the decision, saying, “This is an obvious cut to make, but it is not an easy one. This administration is not ignoring the tremendous sentimental value and emotional appeal NASCAR holds for so many Americans. But now is not the time for sentiment and nostalgia; now is a time for decisive financial action. If our automotive industry is to emerge from this recession intact, then these difficult decisions must be made.”

Both Chevrolet and Dodge see the move as only temporary, and fully expect to resume racing in NASCAR as soon as they have stabilized and the government’s hand in their operations is minimized. “There is nothing really to say at this point,” said one representative, who wished to remain anonymous. “We’ve been doing this since the beginning, and we always assumed we’d be doing this until the end. Heck, nobody ever thought to think that there would be an end. But we ain’t done. As soon as this is over, we’re taking back our spot at the top.”

NASCAR officials remain tight-lipped about the call, but sources say series president Mike Helton and team managers are exploring several options, including other manufacturers to fill Chevrolet and Dodge’s vacated positions. Given the company’s recent interest in motorsport and the steady cash-flow and V-8 engine provided by its new Genesis sedan, sources indicate that NASCAR is pinging Hyundai to gauge the Korean company’s interest in occupying a spot in NASCAR. “Toyota was not well-received their first year in the sport, nor was their first season an easy one,” the source says. “But they learned, they applied the lessons, and they have proven very competitive this year.”

If Hyundai does indeed join the series, there will no doubt be a steep learning curve, and the move would leave Ford the lone domestic battling a pair of Asian makes in America’s most popular racing series. We wonder, however, how long NASCAR could hold that title without two of its most storied participants.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_li...nascar_car_news

I've got mixed feelings about this.

for the record: NASCAR is a cog in the economic machine too... as lame as it may be.

I've got mixed feelings about this.

for the record: NASCAR is a cog in the economic machine too... as lame as it may be.

Yup I do too. I dislike Nascar and don't watch it anymore. Having said that what would happen to all the Teams who drive Chevrolet or Dodge? Oh give more to Toyota, and loose another key group of customers whom are VERY brand loyal the red-neck Nascar crowd, not a good idea if true. Chevrolet will not go for, therefore GM won't. These NASCAR watchers also are like 75% more likely to buy domestic cars I believe if I heard that stat right. This is a stupid move because of all the advertising and pride involved in the silly sport yet. I can't fathom RCR Racing or Hendricks driving Toyota's...Crossing my fingures for chapter 11... JUST DO IT.

^If this is true that is my view...^

But I still think it is B.S.

Edited by gm4life

April Fools Day isn't for another hour.

Note it says 'April 2009' under the byline...most certainly is an April Fools article.

Well there's 50+ years of NASCAR racing history down the toilet.

For those jizzing their pants over this, where would you prefer these companies race? In WRC with a bunch of FIA spec cars? Perhaps in drifting with a bunch of ricers in 240SXs? Maybe in F1 where such racing activities like "passing" and "competing" are frowned upon?

Maybe in a race series with right and left turns? One of the SCCA sedan series--something like a US equivalent of the BTCC sedan racing? Cars that have relatively stock bodies that are recognizable as Chevys, Fords, Dodges with modern production-style engines rather than NASCAR's cartoon cars. The Corvette, CTS, Cobalt and Solstice already compete in various racing series, and don't look like cartoon cars... A race G8 would be nice to see, as would a racing Camaro, like a modern version of the '60s Trans Am series racers..

NASCAR today is dull advertainment, IMHO....watching colorful Skittles going round and round.

Edited by moltar

Considering how STUDIES have shown how LOYAL NASCAR fans are, if Obama wants to lose all of NASCAR fans FOREVER, this better be fake. If this is true, I won't vote for him again. GM and Chrysler need to advertise still. If they do this, then they need to stop all advertising, period.

Edit: Looking at Dale Earnhardt's car with a Hyundai logo on it = no way in hell. If this is true, I wear a 7 1/2" tin foil hat, thank you very much.

Edited by CadillacKing3

Note it says 'April 2009' under the byline...most certainly is an April Fools article.

Maybe in a race series with right and left turns? One of the SCCA sedan series--something like a US equivalent of the BTCC sedan racing? Cars that have relatively stock bodies that are recognizable as Chevys, Fords, Dodges with modern production-style engines rather than NASCAR's cartoon cars. The Corvette, CTS, Cobalt and Solstice already compete in various racing series, and don't look like cartoon cars... A race G8 would be nice to see, as would a racing Camaro, like a modern version of the '60s Trans Am series racers..

NASCAR today is dull advertainment, IMHO....watching colorful Skittles going round and round.

Yea it used to be about who had the fastest car, and you did what you had to win. Now they have all these stupid rules that make it so damn boring anymore. The only thing NASCAR is worried about anymore is money, but then again who isn't.

Considering how STUDIES have shown how LOYAL NASCAR fans are, if Obama wants to lose all of NASCAR fans FOREVER, this better be fake. If this is true, I won't vote for him again. GM and Chrysler need to advertise still. If they do this, then they need to stop all advertising, period.
Edited by Oldsmoboi
edit: no politics. You have been warned.

well april fools aside, think about it. if the new administration did pull that card and denounce GM and Dodge's involvement in racing, the concord NC area would soon look like the ghost towns around the vacant gm factories. its not just a sport for a great deal of people in "hot" areas, its a real living.

While this is a April fools joke the threat is one NASCAR is waiting and watching.

That is part of the reason Toyota is there today as they ecpected to loose Ford or Chrysler a few years ago.

Like it or hate it it generates a lot of money in different communities. Have you seen the hotel prices near Bristol?

I could just see a NASCAR fan militia forming. With the Dale Earnhardt "3" flag as their battle flag.

earnhardt-3-flag.jpg

hehe easy now, he was probably one of the last saving graces of nascar. he told it like it was and did what he needed to to when the time came. he even predicted the car of tomorrow.

dont get me wrong, i am not defending the sport by any means. Bill france was the beginning of the end of the grass roots, Brian france finished it off.