Found a neat one for sale...who's into

Nice car and a rare one too. I disagree with you PCS, I like that dash design (of course I'm biased, as my mom had a '83 GP LJ and explains why I want to find one of my own now <well, I found one, just have to hit the lottery to get it!!>). I really like the '86 1/2 GP 2+2 and it would be a cool collectible car to take to shows.

Pontiac had the best looking dashboard of all the '78-'88 G-bodies. While the 2+2 is an interesting car, I always thought they looked a bit awkward, and they were not blessed with the H.O. version of the 305, like the MC/SS had. I prefer a normal Grand Prix from this era... with the Rallye II rims pictured, or the classic snowflake aluminum rims, and no vinyl top.

I like the '73, too, and the '76-'77. I remember the shock of the smaller, boxy '78 when they first came out, and thinking they cut off all the style and left a box. Now I look back on them more fondly and wouldn't mind owning a '78-'87 with a V8, equipped as I described above.

Here you go ocnblu... a birthday present:

800px-1985_pontiac_grand_prix.JPG

Enjoy it!!!

Pontiac had the best looking dashboard of all the '78-'88 G-bodies. While the 2+2 is an interesting car, I always thought they looked a bit awkward, and they were not blessed with the H.O. version of the 305, like the MC/SS had. I prefer a normal Grand Prix from this era... with the Rallye II rims pictured, or the classic snowflake aluminum rims, and no vinyl top.

There were certainly MANY much worse looking dashboards made in the mid-1980s.

I'm not a huge fan of the Aero-G-bodies.

Always thought it would be fun to make a "phantom" GNX-aero. :spin:

(G.N. + GNX upgrade + Aero rear glass/trunk)

I almost bought a super clean '86 GP t-top with S-10 eXtreme rims & a rebuilt 305

just days before I bought my beat up '68 Camaro for nearly TWICE as much.

NO buyers remorse there. :AH-HA_wink:

The good news about the GP's 305: it's damn easy to make it look very stock with a

Pontiac 326/400 or even cheaper/easier: drop in a ZZ4 5.7 SBC in the 305"s place.

A friend I had a powerful crush on in the early 90's put a Pontiac 350 in his '84 Trans Am... it took a lot of butchering to make it eventually happen, as the Pontiac V8 is considerably larger than a smallblock.

A friend I had a powerful crush on in the early 90's put a Pontiac 350 in his '84 Trans Am... it took a lot of butchering to make it eventually happen, as the Pontiac V8 is considerably larger than a smallblock.

yeah, I can imagine, 3rd gen. F-bodys are not big

on room in the engine compartment. Still, good

for him, it's a worthy project.

Very rare, great looking car. I hope someone snatches it up and gives it a good home.

I had an 88 MC SS Aerocoupe. Black with maroon interior. I wish I still had pics of it. The movers lost them in a move. I liked the GP, but I wasn't keen on the color combo or the wheels.

GMTG, is that your GP?

>>"the Pontiac V8 is considerably larger than a smallblock"<<

FYI-

Chevy 350 : 22" wide (valve cover - valve cover) x 26.5" long (H2O pulley to trans surface)

Pontiac 350 : 22" wide (valve cover - valve cover) x 28.5" long (H2O pulley to trans surface)

I know of a guy with a Buick 455 underhood a 3rd gen T/A.

Buick 455 : 23" x 29"

Not saying there's not work involved in either of these scenarios, but I would think swallowing a PMD V-8 would not require any metal surgery.

Hahaha... Balthy:

I once went to check out a B-59 for sale locally, the guy had about

a half dozen cars I'd kill to own. The B-59 was a parts car at best

but in his garage were not ONE, not TWO but three Buick 455s....

one in particular was under the hood of a 1986 Buick Regal, it was

sky blue and almost looked stock, except for the killer stance, big

rubber shoes & a double front sway bar & beefed up suspension.

That guy was awesome. I wish i had bought the package deal of two

'40 Buicks he was offering me. :P

GMTG, is that your GP?

I wish!! Here's the one I want to buy:

DSCN6174.jpg

I was working on making a deal when I got word from my employer that I will not be issued a new teaching contract (after 7 years in the district!) for 2009/2010. Not knowing what I'll be doing for a paycheck come July 1, I had to let the owner know the bad news. The good thing is that apparently I'm the only one interested, as he still has it parked in the same spot in the garage, all covered-up and protected from the elements still. He did say that he is in no rush to sell and wants it to go to a good home where it will be kept in the same well-cared for condition. Time will tell, but I think of it everyday!!

Oh I'm not telling yet! You never know what the future holds, and if my luck changes for the better I will make this happen! Plus you have the '69 Custom-S to play with and I thought you were searching for a '68 Grand Prix? This '87 is too new for you :neenerneener:

DSCN6174.jpg

I was working on making a deal when I got word from my employer that I will not be issued a new teaching contract (after 7 years in the district!) for 2009/2010. Not knowing what I'll be doing for a paycheck come July 1, I had to let the owner know the bad news. The good thing is that apparently I'm the only one interested, as he still has it parked in the same spot in the garage, all covered-up and protected from the elements still. He did say that he is in no rush to sell and wants it to go to a good home where it will be kept in the same well-cared for condition. Time will tell, but I think of it everyday!!

Sorry to hear about the career news. They say education is a recession proof job, but it eventually affects most everyone. I hope your luck changes.

Sorry to hear about the career news. They say education is a recession proof job, but it eventually affects most everyone. I hope your luck changes.

Thank you for the well wishes. I'm hoping something changes and I can stay - I heard today that central administration is reviewing all of the teachers certifications - in my department (business education), I hold all of the appropriate state certifications to teach what we offer; there is a bus ed teacher that is one step above me that has been mysterious as to what his certifications are. If he does not have the approrpiate certifications, then he may have to leave and that means I get to stay. Seeing as how my other five colleagues like me more than this mystery-certification teacher, they're all routing for me. But I realize that my name was the one approved by the BOE and it still remains on their xut list. So I will take every prayer I can get right about now!!

I've been thinking lately about seeing if the local CarSense dealer will take me out of my lease. I know I'd lose out on potential incentives if I did want to buy new, but if I get out of the lease and get a loan instead, I could buy that '87 GP and since the nicer weather is approaching, make that my daily driver until my financial situation changes. I just don't know if this 22 year old car is up to daily driver duty.

Well my commute through the end of June is 16-20 miles per day, so that's not an issue. It's what happens after June ends and where I find a new teaching job for September (assuming I can find one). Plus any long-distance trips/car shows over the summer, though I'm sure those will have to be cut out due to the lack of income. Of course I could always find a mid-to-late '90s beater for the winter months to keep the GP safe. Again, these are just thoughts, not making any decisions at this time.

Oh I'm not telling yet! You never know what the future holds, and if my luck changes for the better I will make this happen! Plus you have the '69 Custom-S to play with and I thought you were searching for a '68 Grand Prix? This '87 is too new for you :neenerneener:

Well now I have some time on my hands, until May 4th when I go to BMW, since I'm home in Delaware, I spent the day in New Jersey today going to Pontiac dealers and since I know your address, not to hard to find, you know what I mean ??? :AH-HA_wink:

With some checks it should be just fine. I use the 2 old ones for daily driver duty a lot in the summer and it isnt a problem.

Well now I have some time on my hands, until May 4th when I go to BMW, since I'm home in Delaware, I spent the day in New Jersey today going to Pontiac dealers and since I know your address, not to hard to find, you know what I mean ??? :AH-HA_wink:

Don't be mean to me!! :neenerneener:

And won't your new BMW colleagues make fun of you for owning an '80s GM car as a 'classic' collectible? They might force you to scrap it to make more BMW emblems!

...in his garage were not ONE, not TWO but three Buick 455s...

I have 3 455s in my shop (2 complete, 1 bare block), plus I have to go pick up another out of a circa '73 225, if I ever get any time.

Balthy, what about engine height with carb & air cleaner installed. I know the 305 looked tiny compared to that big ol' blue lump he stuffed in there.

There's your impression: SBC: 27", PMD: 31" , BMD: 30" (sump to air cleaner)

PMD's run aggressive, relatively high-rise intakes, whereas Chevy & Buick here use 'valley pan' intakes that seal to the block vs. PMD's 'spider' intakes.

...I spent the day in New Jersey today going to Pontiac dealers...

{shudders to think PSC may have been within 2 miles of my house} :smilewide:

As someone driving a 21 year old daily driver and before that a 24 year old daily driver...

I drove circa 28- and 29-yr olds as daily drivers for 3 years. I need to get back to that, but I'd like to upgrade to around a 45-yr old daily this time.

• 2 weeks later...
I really like the '86 1/2 GP 2+2 and it would be a cool collectible car to take to shows.

Amen! I FINALLY was able to see one ... in person ... a few years ago when I visited a guy from the First Gen MC Club in Nashville TN. He had one of these for a brief time; I was lucky enough to be at his house when he had it. VERY cool.

Don't tell Cort, but I like them better than the first gen M/C.

LOL! That's fine, Camino ... I won't hold it against you. At least you didn't say you liked a same-year Toyota better than the first gen MC ;).

No surprise there, those are real Pontiacs... and note the MC came along AFTER the Pontiac in this case. 'Rebadged Pontiac', anyone ? :wink:

Well, at least it isn't a re-badged Celebrity/Lumina ;).

I had an 88 MC SS Aerocoupe. Black with maroon interior. I wish I still had pics of it. The movers lost them in a move.

*raises eyebrow*

Well, too bad you don't have the pics, that would be a VERY rare car... ;).

Which of these 2 MCs were your MC SS Aerocoupe's tailllights more like...

http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/mc1981/81MC1007_01_JPG.html

...the '81 MC on the left ... or the '87 MC LS on the right (with wrap-around taillights)?

If they were like the '81's, then you had an '86 Aerocoupe. If they were like the '87's, you had an '87 Aerocoupe. NO Aerocoupes were titled 1988 models.

DSCN6174.jpg

Dude! I've been wondering if you had bought that one yet. Sorry about you being out of work come July 1. However, glad the guy will keep it ... and hopefully you CAN buy it at some point later. I know you'd take care of it like he is wanting ;).

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 = Sept 5-16, '09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I've got bruises on my memory" ... Dwight Yoakam ... 'Thousand Miles From Nowhere'

Knightfan, a day doesn't go by that I don't think of that '87 GP. I drove by the dealership about two weekends ago (well now approaching 3 weekends) and the car was still there, all covered up (and it looks like another white '80s GP has been added under a car cover next to it). I know he said he wanted to get between $4,000 and $4,500 for it (I never got to the point where I could have negotiated a deal), but I was hoping closer to $3,000. Actually, I'm still trying to formulate a way to come up with $2,000 as I already have a grand saved away, then make him an offer of that amount. If I knew a way to get out of my current SmartLease so I could buy this car, then use it as my daily driver until the late summer/early fall when hopefully a new job comes my way, I'd jump on that route in a heartbeat. The negative too is that not knowing how reliable a 22 year-old car will be, especially with job interviews coming up, is another concern/issue I have going that route. Only time will tell at this point...

Hey GMT,

Well, if it helps you any on the reliability factor ... my '87 MC LS/CL has been more reliable than the 2 brand new cars I once owned....

*shrugs*

I sure hope you find a way to get that Pontiac...that IS one SWEET car.

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Money can't buy happiness" ... Don Williams ... 'One Good Well'