GM's RWD architecture will downsize and survive

OK.

To sum up, this is what the status is as far as I can see.

- First we had Zeta (Commodore/G8 stc.)

- Then Zeta II (Camaro)

- Now we are set to get Zeta III ( a fusion of Zeta II and Alpha)

So the current Zeta II Camaro will be a stand alone product with no true platform mates and a relatively short run until Commodore adopts this version. The current Zeta Commodore (G8 etc.) will have a decent run around the globe (except for here where we get only one variant). And then, instead of two sizes of RWD we will get something sized in between based on the two current Zetas.

Sounds to me like this "downsized" zeta is also going to replace Sigma.

With Kappa going away, it looks like future GM RWD will be one-size-fits-all.

Corvette excepted.

Not exactly what I'd hoped for, but it could be worse.

And it sounds very promising for an F6 Camaro.

What about a platform like Nissan has (FM platform?)

That platform produces everything from the M to the G to the 350Z?

I could see GM using a Sigma style architecture to support the same type of product lineup. The CTS, the STS and the Camaro. Why not?

What about a platform like Nissan has (FM platform?)

That platform produces everything from the M to the G to the 350Z?

I could see GM using a Sigma style architecture to support the same type of product lineup. The CTS, the STS and the Camaro. Why not?

If GM had the money that'd be the way to go IMO. Unfortunately, they don't have it.

If Zeta is more flexible than Sigma, then I think GM should invest further development in Zeta to make it lighter, more fuel efficient, and ready for the future. It should become the corporation's sole volume RWD car platform (or at least volume as far as RWD is concerned), eventually replacing Sigma in the future (it wouldn't replace the Y-body, because the Y-body is not a volume platform). This next gen Zeta platform could be used to create a midsize sedan (Grand Prix), large sedan (Bonneville), and coupe (Trans Am, essentially the next gen Camaro) for Pontiac (which would become a RWD affordable performance sub-brand paired with Chevrolet in the corporation's Affordable Mainstream dealer network; Chevrolet's car products would all be FWD to better fit the brand's affordable mainstream volume mission). The next gen Zeta platform could also be used to underpin the next gen CTS midsize car series as well as a large flagship sedan for Cadillac. GM needs to quit wasting time, resources, and opportunities second guessing themselves and just simply commit and make it happen.

As far as Kappa: While I like the Solstice and Sky, it seems like the entire project was a total waste of time and resources for GM. Affordable, low volume, 2-seat "toys" built on a profit losing unflexible platform was not where the corporation's focus should have been directed when the corporation was still pumping out volume products (especially mainstream sedans) that were outdated and uncompetitve. I know that the Kappa project does illustrate what GM can accomplish in a timely manner when it decides to commit and focus, but it is also the one time that someone should have intervened and aborted a project that really hasn't done much to reverse the fortunes of the corporation. It is ironic that this underachieving project was conceived and implemented in a timely fashion, while projects that can have a much wider positive impact on the corporation get bogged down in indecisive, second guessing, political horseplay. No wonder the corporation is hanging on by a single, rapidly fraying thread.

BTW: Replace that girly-bimmer in your sig with a real BMW. :neenerneener:

Yeah, really. Just paint that...thing Mary Kay pink and load the console with Hanna Montana CDs.

So say you.

Which of course, runs counter to current information.

But who knows, maybe things will be just as pathetic as you suggest.

BTW: Replace that girly-bimmer in your sig with a real BMW. :neenerneener:

Yep, so says me, but so says GM, your current GM informer is ether misinformed or is just wrong ...

All BMW's are beautiful in my eyes, and have been since I was just a kid in Germany ...

I may use my Beemer Bike in a future sig, but then I change sigs as much as my underwear, when I'm not going commando, that is ... :P

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Funny, I do the same when anyone mentions Chrysler products ... :P

I wouldn't think all of Chrysler's vehicles in their entire history were beautiful. That's just stupid. I'm not enough of a diehard fanboy to think that any one company has turn out nothing but styling masterpieces.

How much would it cost to reinstall the tooling for the T-body Chevette?

Better than their current Econobox portfolio!