Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GM updates Arabian-market Chevrolet Caprice

Do you know the maximum number of cars that Oshawa can produce per day? Are they running at full capacity right now?

I don't remember the exact numbers for the maximum, but they aren't there right now. At this point they are just ramping up Camaro production (currently about 250 cars/day). They have alot of catching up to do to meet Camaro demand.

With that said, they are nowhere near maximum output with Impala or Camaro at this moment.

They could easily handle other zetas once the supply of Camaros is up to workable levels.

grrr... makes me mad we dont get one, yet everyone else does.

Yup. It's been TEN years brotha. GM still can't put

a square peg in a square hole. I was "mad" in the

late '90s now I'm just past the point of exhaustion

on this topic.

This overwhelmingly FWD-biased lineup is like a

plague that haunts GM.

This overwhelmingly FWD-biased lineup is like a

plague that haunts GM.

Appealing to the lowest common denominator...sadly, the vast majority of the US mainstream car market has shown they prefer FWD generics--hence, Toyota's success here, as well as the other Asian brands.. it seems only the premium market supports RWD.

Edited by moltar

Appealing to the lowest common denominator...sadly, the vast majority of the US mainstream car market has shown they prefer FWD generics--hence, Toyota's success here, as well as the other Asian brands..

But buyers look to GM for other things, so salvation for GM needs a different face.

it seems only the premium market supports RWD.

To my way of thinking, that leaves affordable RWD an open market opportunity for GM.

But buyers look to GM for other things, so salvation for GM needs a different face.

To my way of thinking, that leaves affordable RWD an open market opportunity for GM.

Ya, it's just a question of how much demand there really is, though...in sedans there is the Charger, 300, G8, Grand Marquis (and Ford is dropping it after this year, I believe)..

Ya, it's just a question of how much demand there really is, though...in sedans there is the Charger, 300, G8, Grand Marquis (and Ford is dropping it after this year, I believe)..

If done right, the downsized Zeta they are talking about could hit a sweet spot that others have missed.

GM will still have to have something better than the competition to attract the genericans, good,class-leading trucks/suvs, and crossovers that top the charts, Malibu, and Cruze (hate that name), to make it all work.

But no matter the segment, they have to stand out. Also-ran copies of the Camry need not apply.

Without some cars like Solstice, Camaro, HHR, G8, and so on, no one will notice how good GM's more modest offerings are.

A productionized HX under the GMC or Chevy banner would fit the bill as well.

Its a new mentality of creativity and innovation that GM needs most of all.

Its a new mentality of creativity and innovation that GM needs most of all.

Yes..one aspect of GM's state of being I've long wondered if GM needs to get more of their design, development, product planning work out of Detroit..being in a dying, gray depressing place doesn't inspire...

Yes..one aspect of GM's state of being I've long wondered if GM needs to get more of their design, development, product planning work out of Detroit..being in a dying, gray depressing place doesn't inspire...

I agree that its gotta suck working in the Welfare Capital of the World, but GM would be ripped apart by the press if they pulled more jobs out of Michigan.

I agree that its gotta suck working in the Welfare Capital of the World, but GM would be ripped apart by the press if they pulled more jobs out of Michigan.

It's got to be difficult for GM to attract top talent...how are they going to get the best and the brightest to move there?

It's got to be difficult for GM to attract top talent...how are they going to get the best and the brightest to move there?

I assume company provided Kevlar vests are already part of their package. If not, that could be a start.

Yeah... well their "FWD-$hitpile for every purse & purpose" methodology

of the past 20 years certainly has helped them make tremendous gains

in market share. Go build some more W-bodys GM, & while you're at it

take another hit off the crack pipe.

I still believe a RWD car about the size of a mid-sizer - a little smaller won't hurt since almost all mid-sizers are getting bloated is an untapped market. It should be priced slightly higher than the mid-sizer with proper turbo-4, 6 and with right equipment will be a runaway success. Because it will gun for the mid-sizers and will also lay its cross hairs on the entry level luxury market.

As most of the Americans turn themselves to live in hotter states where a large amount of RWD cars are sold, such a car will be a practical alternative. It is exasperating to see how many RWD Infinitis, BMWs, MBs, Lexi roam free in Georgia, Alabama, SC, and FL. I am sure such is the case on the west coast too.

The way entry level luxury cars are getting expensive, there seems like a huge gap between them and the mid-sizers, a good RWD as I have mentioned will certainly bisect those two.

Such a car from Pontiac will be a great value. It needs to be more than one body style. Preferably a sedan, a coupe, a convertible, and a hatchback/wagon. In some ways that is all the Pontiac as a brand will need. It will be niche and if it justifies about 250,000 vehicles per annum it will be a job well done. GM may also spread its Pontiac wings in other countries to offer this vehicle as a Pontiac.

"Impala" has more equity.

It did... once... in 1996. There are a lot of Caprice fans now. Also, I don't have a gripe with this selling alongside the current Impala... then Chevy has RWD and FWD covered... This Caprice would be a step up to the Impala.

Yeah... well their "FWD-$hitpile for every purse & purpose" methodology

of the past 20 years certainly has helped them make tremendous gains

in market share. Go build some more W-bodys GM, & while you're at it

take another hit off the crack pipe.

Get with the times, they aren't called W-Bodies anymore, they are called EP IIs ... :smilewide:

Get with the times, they aren't called W-Bodies anymore, they are called EP IIs ... :smilewide:

"Get With the Times?"

How about FWD stopped being cool in 1971. Did you miss that memo?

What do they have you doing at GM... shredding TPS reports?

"Impala" has more equity.

Put a Malibu nose on this, and 3 round taillights per side on the trunk, like the '65 Impala (larger maybe), and get this into the American market in 2010....

What the hell is GM thinking by not letting us have this Chevy here in the States?

This is the new Impala we want and need NOW!!

I agree with the changes 62impala is proposing. It's gotta have more Chevrolet DNA, then it would fit. That's been my issue with the G8... the Pontiac is a clean, good looking car, it just lacks good continuity (as opposed to bad continuity).

Yup, that's what I said long ago about the G8. The starting point is so blank it could wear any badge. More than likely it was done deliberately by GM so the car could sell worldwide under any number of brand names. That being said, I am grateful the car is sold here.

Remove the badges and this Caprice could be anything, a Toyota, a Hyundai or even a Ford. Remove the G8's badges and hood scoops and its the same thing.

Take the cladding off the Grand Am's doors and it could have been anything. Take the cladding off the 1997 Grand Prix and it could have been anything. Take the cladding and plastic boy racer trim off the Bonneville and it could have been anything.

Pontiacs for years have been Chevrolets with hood scoops and cladding. The G8 has more Pontiac DNA in it by that measure than the Solstice.

I disagree, Croc. The Grand Am without cladding was still a Grand Am, witness the '04 SE sedan, with the cladding scraped off. And the '97 Grand Prix? It had no cladding, just tasteful lower rocker moldings that did not cover up anything. If you're trying to paint Pontiac as a clone of Chevrolet, use better examples.

I disagree, Croc. The Grand Am without cladding was still a Grand Am, witness the '04 SE sedan, with the cladding scraped off. And the '97 Grand Prix? It had no cladding, just tasteful lower rocker moldings that did not cover up anything. If you're trying to paint Pontiac as a clone of Chevrolet, use better examples.

I said the Grand Am could be any car once you removed the cladding, not that it was a Chevrolet clone. But the black plastic inserts on the taillights gave it its Pontiac DNA, right? The lines of the actual car were extremely generic, and could have easily been a Hyundai or Suzuki.

The G8 has more Pontiac DNA in it by that measure than the Solstice.

Don't quit your day job and become a geneticist, there is not a a drop of Pontiac DNA in the G8, it's pure Holden DNA. Faux hood scoops, a pretend Pontiac fascia and the Pontiac Dart grafted on for good measure, do not make it a Pontiac. Who are you trying to kid?

The Solstice is pure Pontiac, you know, designed and built by good ol' Americans for the Pontiac brand.

More Pontiac DNA indeed, boy you make me laugh ... :rotflmao:

Or maybe that it's an actual performance car that doesn't have all kinds of shortcomings like the Solstice has.

Or maybe the Solstice is more Pontiac because you can buy the same thing with different sheetmetal over at another GM brand in the same country.

Or maybe that it's an actual performance car that doesn't have all kinds of shortcomings like the Solstice has.

Or maybe the Solstice is more Pontiac because you can buy the same thing with different sheetmetal over at another GM brand in the same country.

Saved me the effort, thanks DF.