Kia VG Concept

The Kia VG Concept has been unveiled at the Seoul Auto Show and it looks... good. Nice for a concept? No, it's a veiled version of a V6-powered FWD flagship replacement for the Amanti.

The Kia VG will be going on sale later this year in Korea with international distribution following thereafter, including the US. The possibility of production is revealed in its believable powertrain. The VG starts off with a 194.6 inch overall length over a front-wheel-drive platform motivated by a 3.5-liter V6 good for 277 HP, which is backed up by a manumatic six speed transmission. The car wears the now-familiar Kia grille flanked by some slightly surprised-looking headlights and and surprisingly sleek bodywork. Inside, there's a mix of concept car doo-dads and actual hardware. We're expecting the general layout to be the same in the production version, but the high tech center console and gauge cluster are not likely. Kia needs to start being more careful or they'll become a respectable car maker.

Jalopnik

VG-front.jpg

VG-front2.jpg

VG-back.jpg

VG-interior.jpg

I was just about to post this concept. The former head of Audi is now head of design for Kia, and the Audi influence really shows in the rear. Though I have no interest in Hyundais or Kia, I'll give credit where credit is due. IMO, this is a fantastic looking concept. I like the interior too, but it doesn't blow me away.

Yowsers! That looks awesome!

Everybody better look out for Hyundai/Kia, they seem to be right on track to dominate the industry.

I do have to admit that Kia is still a little inconsistent as far as personally impressing me. The Soul is a mixed bag to me, but (to be fair) these little box on wheels designs just don't appeal to me (although the Soul looks to be the best looking one of the lot). The Forte sedan is impressive and might just become a segment leader (if Kia nails the quality while keeping the price competitive); I think it might just be the best looking mainstream compact sedan for the forseeable future. After the Forte debuted, I thought it was smooth sailing for Kia after that; then they introduce the rather awkward redesigned Sorento. With Kia getting supposedly sportier, I guess I was expecting the next gen Sorento to be more like the CX-9 or Murano design-wise. It looks like they started in that direction with the front end design and then changed direction with the rest of the vehicle; it just doesn't look like the homerun Kia will need in this segment.

If the production version of this sedan doesn't stray too far from this great looking concept car, then Kia will definitely have won me over again. At least Kia looks like they will have nailed their sedan styling in the future. I can't wait to see the production version of this beauty. I think Hyundai/Kia should let Kia have the FWD large car segment to itself since Hyundai has the RWD large cars (and this car is definitely much better looking than the Azera). Hyundai/Kia should give Hyundai a midsize MPV based on this platform as the next gen Entourage; Kia could then have the Sedona minivan all to itself. I know there is going to be some overlap between Hyundai and Kia in some of the major segments (compact sedans, midsize sedans, and crossovers), but Hyundai/Kia should try to give each brand some exclusive products also (the Soul is a good example of a segment that should remain a Kia exclusive).

The only thing I would change is that I would enlarge the Kia badge and insert it in the middle of the grille opening. This is a beautiful car, Kia should show their pride in this awesome design and place their name front and center in the middle of the grille.

This car is a nice followup to the great looking Forte. If Kia nails the next gen Optima like they have these 2 sedans, I wouldn't be surprised to see the brand make some significant gains in the market (especially on the overhyped Toyota and Honda brands).

Is this Genesis based?

The styling is not all that great. Way too many arbitrary stops/breaks

in the trim, sculpting, contours & brightwork. The grille is interesting but WTF

is up with that greenhouse? The rear side window can't decide whether its

got a Hofmeister kink or not. :yuck:

The white interior is swank, I'd like to do my MB 500SEC's over that way one

day...like the crazy AMG/gullwing/widebody examples of my car.

P.S. White (body-color?) insert in the headlight? F-minus.

I'm talking overall body shape.

The last GM B-bodies looked more different than this.

Well I mean, we could take it a step further and say the CC is like whatever the hell Mercedes calls it's "4-door coupe"

I would kind of give you the front, but not the back, and even then I wouldn't say it looks like it that much

The detailing is all completely different, as are the shapes of the grille, intakes, headlights, etc.

I like both, of course I like the CC because it reminds me of an Intrepid from the side profile.

The VW is even uglier. :yuck:

& I hate the CLS for it's "4-door-2-door" idiocy.... but its at least got very clean styling

The VW is even uglier. :yuck:

& I hate the CLS for it's "4-door-2-door" idiocy.... but its at least got very clean styling

Agree 'Panther, yet it is all in the eye of the beholder.

That shape has suddenly seized the imagination of the majority at present.

I saw one out in front of the Costco last night only it was wearing a VW badge....

VG-front2.jpg

2009_volkswagen_passat_cc_0_430.jpg

VG-back.jpg

vw-passat-cc-2-big.jpg

Other than sharing the infamous "4-door coupe" profile, I don't think they look all that similar.

Both cars happen to be very nice looking sedans, though.

It's not like the Kia car is one of those annoying Chinese knockoff copycat vehicles. Of course, this is just my opinion.

NO, you're right. It's not a blatant ripoff... but still I'm not one

to go all goo-goo-gah-gah over a warmed over imitation.

Even in 2009 there's still many BOLD, striking & very original

designs out there. Just some awesome examples of cars that

were designed by creative "out of the box" thinkers:

- Art & Science Cadillacs, esp the 2nd gen. CTS-V

- Mercedes Benz CL600 hardtop

- Infiniti FX35 / FX45 (as well as the new FX37 / FX50)

- 5th Gen. Camaro

- Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34 & current gen...)

- Dodge Charger & Magnum

- Last Gen. Celica GT-S

& of course there's the stunning, inspirational exotics.

- McLaren F1

- Bugatti Veyron

- Koenigsegg CCX

PS: the X6 is really growing on me... looks way better in the flesh.

You people realize that in the two threads about this car you're comparing a Kia's styling to BMWs, Audis and Lincolns, right? That should say something about how far the Koreans have come.

:yes:

WRONG.

It's a concept car. This means NOTHING.

Talk to me when the PRODUCTION car is compared to

something other than an ugly Toyota Camry or the

awkward Honda Accord.

Concept =/= production.

lacrossepic5.jpg4802006buicklacrosse.jpg

The concept Lacrosse was sex on wheels. The production... about as exciting as stale, soggy Wonder Bread.

300px1024x768boxstercon.jpg97boxster1.jpg

Or, better yet:

fordverve1.jpg2009fordfiesta.jpg

The devil is in the details.

(e.g. proportions, chrome trim, lighting, stance, greenhouse)

I may HATE the Camaro's B-pillar but to the average slob it's

just as if not more attention grabbing in production as the

concept car was. In fact the headlights were IMHO a big

improvement over the slightly awkward Concept's headlights.

Edited by Sixty8panther

Anyone who thought the production Lacrosse would look like that concept was retarded.

Really?

Well I guess lots of "retards" purchase Infiniti FX45s

and other convention shattering products.

But have fun living in your safe, predictable, quasi-

futuristic but status quo-compatible world.

If you think the production Lacrosse was not a bad,

unoriginal & uninspired design than I can understand

why you loved your Solara and wax poetic about a

pathetic Prius. :yuck:

There are two types of concepts: styling exercises and thinly disguised productions vehicles.

The LaCrosse Concept was a styling excerise

The Invicta was a production teaser

The Airflite was a styling exercise

The Magnum was a production teaser

--

There are exceptions to the rule where a styling exercise becomes a production car and adheres closely to the concept. These include eh original Viper Concept, and the Solstice Concept. I'm not sure if the Challenger and Camaro were styling exercises or teasers...on the one hand I don't think either were greenlighted when the concepts were created but I'm sure they had every intent to build them.

--

If you've actually seen spyshots of the production car, you'd know it's a dead ringer for the concept minus the show car flash (of course).

--

Also Sixty8, you didn't do yourself any favors by posting the production Fiesta and concept Verve. The minor detailing may be different, and OMFG IT HAZ A B-PILLAR!!!!!111`2`12`213`12`1``1`````1`2~~~!!!~!@1`but the cars are close in overall shape and major detailing.

DF hit it on the head. The Lacrosse concept was show for the sake of show. The fact that the Regal replacement was named Lacrosse is just a coincidence. And I've been a critic of the Lacrosse all along because it looked like a slightly modified Taurus.

Yeah well we live in a mediocre world.

So it's no surprise many of you deem

mediocrity & awkward half-assery as

acceptable &/or even commendable.

Either the rest of the wolrd has gone

blind or just REALLY lowered their

standards quite a bit. Either way it is

quite funny what is considered

stylish or attractive these days.

Maybe the overexposure to the ugly

crap that has become commonplace

is to blame...? :blink:

Also Sixty8, you didn't do yourself any favors by posting the production Fiesta and concept Verve. The minor detailing may be different, but the cars are close in overall shape and major detailing.

Sure, horse shoes & hand grenades. :rolleyes:

And you call yourself a Graphic Designer?????? (j/k ..kind of)

You know what?

If GM had the balls to build more of their "styling exercises"

they would be in much better financial shape! It's not like

I'm asking for the damn '55 Firebird II concept car complete

with turbine power & a f@#king Cessna tail section! <_<

Gezus there HAS to be a middle ground somewhere FAR

right of the production LaCrosse.

Sure, horse shoes & hand grenades. :rolleyes:

And you call yourself a Graphic Designer?????? (j/k ..kind of)

You know what?

If GM had the balls to build more of their "styling exercises"

they would be in much better financial shape! It's not like

I'm asking for the damn '55 Firebird II concept car complete

with turbine power & a f@#king Cessna tail section! <_<

Gezus there HAS to be a middle ground somewhere FAR

right of the production LaCrosse.

If you think that the overall shape of the two cars if completely different than you are the one with vision problems.

As for the designer mark, that's crossing a line. I'm perusing it, how about you? So f@#k off in that respect. (j/k ..kind of)

You should really try not to come off as so much of a jackass with your wording. :angry:

NO, you're right. It's not a blatant ripoff... but still I'm not one

to go all goo-goo-gah-gah over a warmed over imitation.

Even in 2009 there's still many BOLD, striking & very original

designs out there. Just some awesome examples of cars that

were designed by creative "out of the box" thinkers:

- Art & Science Cadillacs, esp the 2nd gen. CTS-V

- Mercedes Benz CL600 hardtop

- Infiniti FX35 / FX45 (as well as the new FX37 / FX50)

- 5th Gen. Camaro

- Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34 & current gen...)

- Dodge Charger & Magnum

- Last Gen. Celica GT-S

& of course there's the stunning, inspirational exotics.

- McLaren F1

- Bugatti Veyron

- Koenigsegg CCX

I guess I'm looking at it from the standpoint of a former Audi designer working his magic on the Kia brand and actually producing what I think are some nice looking and desirable mainstream sedans (both the Forte and this car). Most of the products you mentioned are truly unique and stunning, but those products are either exotics, luxury segment products, RWD vehicles, or coupes; primarily, vehicles that don't exactly qualify as high volume products. For any auto manufacturer to bring a sense of style to the volume mainstream sedan segment is also a major design accomplishment. The fact that Kia is managing to do this is also a major deal considering the endless parade of blandness and mediocrity that has preceded it (Amanti, Spectra, and Optima). This is the major reason that I see the Forte and this car (which I think is actually more of a production preview than a pie in the sky concept) as major steps forward for the brand.

As for the similarities between the Passat CC and this car, I really don't see a lot that has been copied. I guess we'll just have to disagree on that one. That's the great thing about styling, it is very subjective and everyone connects to each design differently.

It's not kind of close, it' not ALMOST close... it's just NOT CLOSE.

lacrossepic5.jpg4802006buicklacrosse.jpg

I guess if these two look alike to you than you must

think your cab-forward Intrepid a spittin' image of

the Chrysler/Lamborghini Portofino concept.

http://www.lamborghiniregistry.com/Portofino/index.html

68, your argument regarding the Lacrosse would be completely moot if GM had done what they should have and kept the Regal name.

That said, the Kia will have different headlights, and some calmer details, but the production version isn't going to look completely different.

68, your argument regarding the Lacrosse would be completely moot if GM had done what they should have and kept the Regal name.

That said, the Kia will have different headlights, and some calmer details, but the production version isn't going to look completely different.

Odds are good the headlight shape will remain teh same too, just the detailing will be different.

I guess I'm looking at it from the standpoint of a former Audi designer working his magic on the Kia brand and actually producing what I think are some nice looking and desirable mainstream sedans (both the Forte and this car). Most of the products you mentioned are truly unique and stunning, but those products are either exotics, luxury segment products, RWD vehicles, or coupes; primarily, vehicles that don't exactly qualify as high volume products.

The title of the thread read "Flagship Sedan"

not mainstream Sonata-territory, high-volume

FWD &#036;h&#33;pile. Hyundai has a decent looking

RWD flagship now, so it's not entirely stupid

for one to assume that Kia is also trying to

move up in price/class.

And for the record mainstream cars did not

always have crappy, pathetic copycat styling.

e.g.

1949mercury4dsedan.jpg

1953chevroletbelair4dse.jpg

437831505504846719b6968.jpg

195920pontiacjpg.jpg

1960fordgalaxiestarline.jpg

196320chevrolet20impala.jpg

cc1966pontiac.jpg

large1474200672813h46m1.jpg

71plycovers.jpg

The title of the thread read "Flagship Sedan"

not mainstream Sonata-territory, high-volume

FWD &#036;h&#33;pile. Hyundai has a decent looking

RWD flagship now, so it's not entirely stupid

for one to assume that Kia is also trying to

move up in price/class.

And for the record mainstream cars did not

always have crappy, pathetic copycat styling.

e.g.

1949mercury4dsedan.jpg

1953chevroletbelair4dse.jpg

437831505504846719b6968.jpg

195920pontiacjpg.jpg

1960fordgalaxiestarline.jpg

196320chevrolet20impala.jpg

cc1966pontiac.jpg

large1474200672813h46m1.jpg

71plycovers.jpg

It's the future FWD flagship sedan from the affordable division of Hyundai/Kia. This car will more than likely be crossed shopped with upper trim levels of the Malibu, Camry, Accord, Altima, Mazda6, and even Hyundai's own Sonata as well as a fullsize FWD competitor such as the Ford Taurus. I think it will make this sedan a lot less exclusive than many of the cars on your list. I agree that it won't be as volume oriented as the mainstream midsize sedan mainstays, but it will be geared to be more volume oriented than cars like Hyundai's own Genesis sedan, the Dodge Charger, or even the Pontiac G8. It will be big and comfortable, but I think Kia will also keep it accessible. The current Amanti is not a volume player in the U.S. mainly because it looks like a design from the late 80's/early 90's (at best).

I'm just going to agree to disagree with you. I still think this car is a major step forward for Kia (a company I didn't really have much use for until recently). If they keep the production version close to this preview version, then I think the car should help the brand continue to make an impact on the global auto market.

Living in the past isn't healthy. Especially if its in a past you didn't live in.

I guess.

BUT remind me again why i should have hope for a future that

has all the promise of a plane crash???

Our entire country has been hollowed out like a Jack-O-Lantern

and is a shell of it's former glory.

Now it's about to get smashed with Aluminum baseball bat.

Except it will be a slow and painful death. Just like Rome...

they had their power & glory and also pissed it all away.

Edited by Sixty8panther

Wow, its amazing what spending 17 hours a day cleaning urinals does to a person's world view.

WTF drug are you on?

Honestly???

f@#king pretty snide for a pizza delivery boy.

Just wait, next time you order pizza, I'm going to personally make sure its late. And wrong.

I wish I were a pizza delivery boy tonight, Saturday+Final 4+weather starting to suck=awesome money, alas, I'm stuck at home, simultaneously doing school work, writing a report I need to have to my boss Tuesday, playing with my son and wasting time online.

For those of you who has been told that this is the replacement for the Amanti, the Korean Press is saying something different. Yes, I am Korean myself, and I've been reading about this on the internet paper last night, and they say it's the 'NEW' model that will fit ABOVE the Optima(Lotzee in Korea), and BELOW the Amanti(Opirus in Korea). I am not sure whose right but.

Also, the problems with Hyundai/Kia is that, they can produce fine looking concepts, but when it gets to the production model, they tend to screw up big and go haywire on the styling that loses all the Oohs, and Aahs that was out on the concept. One good example is Hyundai's Genesis. Look at its concept, and the production model. They really screwed it up to the point that the production model was pretty much a blatent copy of the Merc/BMW/Lexus and Infinity combined, that wasn't that bad on their original concept. At least Kia has been a bit less when it comes to the derivativeness when you look at the Soul and Borrego(one of their concept which I forgot the name of), which kinda look very much alike their concept, though Borrego is rather derivative.

Will see when the production car comes out. Then, we will see how bad this turns out from this already boring looking package.