2010 GMC Terrain revealed

well people, if you like the equinox and don't like the terrain, GM has you covered. If you don't like the Equinox but you like the Terrain, then GM has you covered.

If you don't like either, Ford has a lovely Edge they will sell you.

this thing is unabashedly a truck. GMC = truck. So, take a few deep breaths and things will be ok.

Traverse = sloped rear. Acadia = upright rear. Same deal.

Next point, this is a major upgrade over the Torrent (just make sure if you want the GXP torrent get it now).

Next point, you can have a VENZA if you want, LOL. Forester? CRV?

Lastly, I have an Aztek in my garage which despite not being pretty looks ok (aside from the rear), and the terrain looks way better than the aztek.

But the X6, my God, one of the ugliest things on four wheels ever. How BMW can sell even one of those is beyond me.

Square wheel arches are the biggest exterior design flaw on this thing for me, way to Jeep. The grille can get fixed and even yet its still better than the torrent.

But look at the rear doors and the way the metal kicks back up behind the glass, but not on top of the glass. I love that detail. Sweet.

If anyone can name me a better looking vehicle in this segment than this, I'd like to know. Seriously. Aside from the Edge, and you can argue the Edge is in the next price class anyways. The Edge is simply the best looking 2 row mid-large crossover out there. (BTW the Edge Sport w/ 22" wheels is GORGEOUS in person).

Edited by regfootball

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WICKED. I applaud GM for spending the money to truly differentiate this exterior from the Equinox. Yes, I was shocked on first viewing, but when I blew up the photos and looked again, I can see this is the production version of all those recent GMC Concept vehicles so many of our members wanted to see. Silver, once again, to show maximum contrast so we can see all the body lines, but in real life, in a different color (white, brown, green for example), this thing will look good. I think I'm gonna like this.

Dodgefan: your bias is showing. Yes, the Terrain is squarecut, but have you seen the current Grand Cherokee? The Patriot? Both of those designs are just as linear. And the '10 Ram HD? That truck's grille is ridiculous.

O`RLY?

01_GRC_09.jpg

Yeah, it's a total Brick, what with those round headlights, and those square wheel arches that aren't actually square (they are rounded trapezoids).

I won't argue the Patriot is a brick, but then it's my least favorite jeep behind the Compass.

As for the Ram, have you seen the Silverado HD, Superduty or Sierra HD lately? They all have massive grills, but with the exception of the Silverado (pre MCE because the refresh is shaping up nicely) and the SuperDuty the grills appear proportionate.

As far as the Terrain goes, I don't mind it much after looking at it besides that front end. The grill is should be 1/3 smaller and I hate the placement of the GMC badge. Also is very much dislike how the leading edge of the foglights don't run parallel to the grill and lower intake. It's just bad design.

I think I like it.

Its the first vehicle from GMC to combine all the different design language established with the Terra series of concepts.

The square wheel arches, with the chopped off tops are very strong, and very GMC.

The tailights are the only thing that bother me, but those too evoke a hint of Envoy XUV if you stare at them long enough.

I was waiting to see what GMTruckGuy74 was gonna say. I know he digs the Terradyne.

If you view this in context with GMC design, its pretty cool.

gmc_terradyne_2000.jpg

gmc-terracross02.jpg

_GMC-Terra4-Concept-1.jpg

gmc-terrain-backgrounder-04.jpg

I can say that it is appropriately differentiated from its Chevrolet Equinox platform mate and that's a good thing. I also appreciate the brand appropriate "chunkier" design of the Terrain that will make it look like it belongs next to the brand's truck based products (which it should). However, the oversized grille and the Compass-esque stuff cheeked lower front bumper treatment seem awkward and unattractive to me. I like the squarish wheel arches, but I think they could be smoothed out and shrunk a bit; they're appropriate for GMC, but they are overdone (just like the front end). The back end design seems like it belongs on another vehicle; I would have expected blockier taillights instead of the Sienna-esque units that are on the vehicle. The overall shape is fine and most of the brand appropriate design elements are present and accounted for, but some of the overdone details (front end treatment and wheel arches) need to be toned down a bit while the almost blandish rear end treatment needs to be injected with a little more visual interest. The entire product just needs a touch of refinement to make it look a little more integrated and seamless.

A Disclaimer: Contrary to my earlier post, this vehicle is not nearly as hideous as the Pontiac Aztek. It isn't pretty (which it probably shouldn't be since it's a GMC product; tough and butch are more appropriate for this brand) and it could still use some design modifications, but it really isn't nearly as ugly as the Aztek. As soon as the initial shock wore off, I took a closer look and could find some aspects of the design to appreciate (which I still can't do with the Aztek).

am i the only one that likes it!? i think it looks AMAZING. and how ANYTHING can look worse than the bland ass equinox beats me... i don't think they could've styled it any better. all the guys who's wives are forcing them to trade in their trucks for a family suv will probably be buying this. good work gm! :metal:

My first reaction was "I hate it!" but its not really that bad. It does have some serious bloat but as a complete "look" its ok. I wouldnt' laughtat someone for buying it.

I just wonder why GM continues to waste money on this kind of badge engineering. It should be looking at bringing great cars to multiple brands. If we are going to dream big, I would rather see a Camaro based Buick for instance. Or a CTS based Pontiac. Also, the Colorado/Canyon interior could have been totally refreshed for the cost of making the Terrain.

I'm not sure GM has its priorities straight. Another SUV is not what America wants its bailout cash spent on.

If this was the replacement for the Torrent... I am glad I have what I do. I'll keep my cheap plastic interior, pushrod 3.4L V6 and 185hp with decent styling thank you. Damn this thing is ugly, what in the hell were they thinking honestly? Equinox will outsell this 3 to 1 I bet.

I'm not sure GM has its priorities straight. Another SUV is not what America wants its bailout cash spent on.

Dude, the cash has already been spent on this thing.

While I understand the need of setting the priorities straight, the decision about the Terrain has been made a long time ago.

Dude, the cash has already been spent on this thing.

While I understand the need of setting the priorities straight, the decision about the Terrain has been made a long time ago.

The bailout money at this point is only paying for the sins of the past.

A midsize SUV that gets 30mpg will probably have a decent amount of appeal to buyers. Moreso than a 5-door subcompact that barely gets the same mileage. I'd call the Aveo/G3 the real sins. Thats the segment where growth is coming and GM is so far behind, its sad.

The bailout money at this point is only paying for the sins of the past.

A midsize SUV that gets 30mpg will probably have a decent amount of appeal to buyers. Moreso than a 5-door subcompact that barely gets the same mileage. I'd call the Aveo/G3 the real sins. Thats the segment where growth is coming and GM is so far behind, its sad.

Like what Satty said. It is better than the XB, Cube, and Soul. While offering better gas mileage and more space.

There is nothing wrong with this vehicle to be in GM's stable. Even if it is outsold 10:1 by the Equinox it will still bring in some buyers who will not consider a Chevrolet. It is the smaller vehicles that GM MUST need to concentrate fixing very fast with our bailout money.

Like what Satty said. It is better than the XB, Cube, and Soul. While offering better gas mileage and more space.

There is nothing wrong with this vehicle to be in GM's stable. Even if it is outsold 10:1 by the Equinox it will still bring in some buyers who will not consider a Chevrolet. It is the smaller vehicles that GM MUST need to concentrate fixing very fast with our bailout money.

There's nothing essentially wrong with it. GM should have let it just show up on the lots and skipped the autoshow circuit. Ford is showing all kinds of cars in NY. GM should have focused on the all new cars like the Camaro, Cruze, Volt, etc. A rebadged SUV just reinforces an image of GM that it needs to shed if it wants buyers to come back.

GM should have let it just show up on the lots and skipped the autoshow circuit.

Right now, I think GM needs to advertise everything they can any way they can. Plus this thing gets same/better gas mileage than alot of cars anyway.

I think it is pretty cool, although it would look better with a smaller grille and a visible lower grille. I do really like that GMC is switching to Pontiac's red backlighting.

I can see how various recent GMC concepts led to this (along with, perhaps, too much Jeep Commander / Patriot in the wheel wells), and if I didn't hope for the best, I'd say that big snout on it is GM's first step in damaging GMC now.

I'd only change two things: round the bottom of the wheel arches just a little, and move the taillights down the hatch a little bit. Otherwise, I really like it and probably would buy one over the Equinox and Vue, were I in the market.

Edited by DetroitNut90

Just a new piece of nasty on the very nasty pile that is the CUV segment.

I guess that means it hits the mark?

I wonder when the midsize CUV market is going to die down. The compact CUV market seems like it was booming in the last couple of years, though GMNA of course has nothing in that segment (the Vue is too big and heavy, more of a midsizer).

I'd just like to see something in this segment with a simple, clean, and cohesive look to it.

The whole segment looks like it was created by raidng the scrap heap of discarded styling cues. And each entry has an overdose of these.

I would like to see something clean and understated as well. The Terrain has too much jagged topography. I must admit, at first I did not like the Acadia, but it has grown on me, and I like the look of it now. Upon first sight I was taken aback by the Terrain. The front end just doesn't say GMC to me at all, and the fender flares are way too overstated. Its like the designers were trying to make up for something they are lacking either in their pants or their blouses (depending on the sex). The Terrain is a mish mosh of shapes that do not make a cohesive design. I'm predicting huge rebates judging by the styling alone.

And when the hell are chrome wheels going to be scrapped for painted wheels. They are so de rigeur for 2009.

Edited by K.C.

I dunno, I thought the Rav4 pre MCE looked alright, so does the Journey (very clean styling) and I like the new Equinox...even if they stole the headlights from the Pacifica.

My favorite in the midsizers (though it's more of an SUV than a CUV) is the Grand Cherokee, it's the only one I would seriously consider...and Jeep has an authenticity that the others can't claim, and RWD.

Edited by moltar

Wow, look how many pages of comments for the Terrain. GMC certainly has ppl talking! That's great!

I like the Journey, in and out, and have since the beginning... but the Terrain is more appealing in its stark, masculine modernity.

The Acadia is officially too soft now, with a front end that is suddenly an oddball in the GMC lineup...

I LOVE IT!

I'd buy this over the Equinox anyday.

And, the Honda Pilot seems to sell well (which is what it reminds me of the most) so whatever...

I see a lot of Jeep in it and A LOT of Terra... I loved the Terra concepts, especially the Terradyne. (Finally, 10 years later, GM is delivering a somewhat cohesive and different from Chevy design language for the division)

Me thinks this might be a small precursor to GMC maybe trying to fill the niche that Hummer will leave. It's certainly more Hummer-esque in style.

Wow, look how many pages of comments for the Terrain. GMC certainly has ppl talking! That's great!

I like the Journey, in and out, and have since the beginning... but the Terrain is more appealing in its stark, masculine modernity.

The Acadia is officially too soft now, with a front end that is suddenly an oddball in the GMC lineup...

Maybe they will give the Acadia an MCE with a huge grille like the Terrain..

Camino, isn't this the type of polarizing design you think GM needs? It isn't going to appeal to everyone. Far better than the blandtastic 1st gen Equinox and its worthless counterpart, the Equinox with a grille insert.

I may be alone in this, but I hope that the "Terra" theme gets deeply buried in the past.

Blech!

With this design theme, I think they need a new slogan for GMC---Maybe something bold like 'GMC iz truk!' (with that spelling).

Camino, isn't this the type of polarizing design you think GM needs? It isn't going to appeal to everyone. Far better than the blandtastic 1st gen Equinox and its worthless counterpart, the Equinox with a grille insert.

Short answer: No.

I never used the word "polarizing" for starters. Good design need not be polarizing to be interesting.

This is not good design, it's fad-following (and late to the party at that).

Most of the stuff in this segment isn't genuine - it's the automotive version of a card trick.

Polarizing may not have been the right word. Its unique in a love-it-or-hate-it way, more than anything GM has done in quite a while. This thread is a testament to that. This has a better chance of bringing new GM buyers in than rebadging the Chevy as a Pontiac again. The rest of the segment is a whole different discussion. Its a segment that exists, and that GM is trying to compete in. The Terrain gives them a better chance of picking up new retail sales.

Polarizing may not have been the right word. Its unique in a love-it-or-hate-it way, more than anything GM has done in quite a while. This thread is a testament to that. This has a better chance of bringing new GM buyers in than rebadging the Chevy as a Pontiac again. The rest of the segment is a whole different discussion. Its a segment that exists, and that GM is trying to compete in. The Terrain gives them a better chance of picking up new retail sales.

See my first post in this thread, I agree with you on that point.

You may not like it, but you have to admit that its something different for GM, and the fact that they're willing to take a chance when they had just been putting a new grille and taillights on a Chevy is a very good sign for things to come across the company.

You may not like it, but you have to admit that its something different for GM, and the fact that they're willing to take a chance when they had just been putting a new grille and taillights on a Chevy is a very good sign for things to come across the company.

"Terra" is different, but I can't give the Terrain any credit designwise.

It's just awful - like it's competition.

My first reaction was "I hate it!" but its not really that bad. It does have some serious bloat but as a complete "look" its ok. I wouldnt' laughtat someone for buying it.

I just wonder why GM continues to waste money on this kind of badge engineering. It should be looking at bringing great cars to multiple brands. If we are going to dream big, I would rather see a Camaro based Buick for instance. Or a CTS based Pontiac. Also, the Colorado/Canyon interior could have been totally refreshed for the cost of making the Terrain.

Yeah... The market isn't migrating to crossovers, and smallER crossovers at that, at all.... :rolleyes:

The more I look at this thing, the more I like it... It's MUCH better looking than, say, a CRX.

It also reminds me a lot of the Nissan Xterra current and past. (Which means it'll be an even bigger hit)

RE: Dodge Journey and Nitro

I love the Nitro as well... The Journey... Well, it is so bland that I didn't even notice it until 2 months after it hits the streets. I thought Journeys were just Caravans (which are already bland-tastic enough) The Journey would've looked great... In the 90s.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I have yet to see anything compelling in this entire segment.

For me, that would be a requirement.

I want to see GM build things that I have to respect in every segment, even if I wouldn't buy in that segment.

Examples:

G8 sedan

Corvette

HHR

Solstice

Mini

Volt

Nothing in this segment does that.

I would like to see something clean and understated as well. The Terrain has too much jagged topography. I must admit, at first I did not like the Acadia, but it has grown on me, and I like the look of it now. Upon first sight I was taken aback by the Terrain. The front end just doesn't say GMC to me at all, and the fender flares are way too overstated. Its like the designers were trying to make up for something they are lacking either in their pants or their blouses (depending on the sex). The Terrain is a mish mosh of shapes that do not make a cohesive design. I'm predicting huge rebates judging by the styling alone.

And when the hell are chrome wheels going to be scrapped for painted wheels. They are so de rigeur for 2009.

I love the chrome wheels....

Also, have any of you noticed the resemblance to the Yukon with the big grille? That's likely the 'idea'