Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2010 GMC Terrain revealed

I have yet to see anything compelling in this entire segment.

For me, that would be a requirement.

I want to see GM build things that I have to respect in every segment, even if I wouldn't buy in that segment.

Examples:

G8 sedan

Corvette

HHR

Solstice

Mini

Volt

Nothing in this segment does that.

I gotta disagree....

I think the new Equinox, Terrain and SRX (and 9-4X) are an EXCELLENT sign of things to come from GM. They're 1) volume focused 2) VERY competitive on efficiency 3) VERY competitive on price 3) Appealing and UNIQUE (although I would've liked more differentiated interiors and powerplants. Apparently EVERY GM division will share the same 3 powerplants going forward :rolleyes: and 4) Nice enough and substantial enough to attract import intenders.

I think the Equinox will be a home run, the Terrain will be a huge hit and the SRX will eventually build the volume that Cadillac apparently desires.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then we disagree, FOG.

I see nothing compelling there.

And it pains me... LOL

I'm just sayin'

You and I are NOT the kind of people that will buy GM cars in huge numbers. (although I would buy this Terrain) GM must appeal to those people and I say go for it, so long as they still have a corner of the empire with the kind of cars I will buy (Corvette Z06, CTS-V, G8 GXP, Solstice GXP, Camaro Z28, HHR SS, H3 Alpha :D)

And it pains me... LOL

I'm just sayin'

You and I are NOT the kind of people that will buy GM cars in huge numbers. (although I would buy this Terrain) GM must appeal to those people and I say go for it, so long as they still have a corner of the empire with the kind of cars I will buy (Corvette Z06, CTS-V, G8 GXP, Solstice GXP, Camaro Z28, HHR SS, H3 Alpha :D)

Don't let it pain you, FOG. :lol:

What I'm trying to say here is that nothing in this segment is a stand-out product - whether or not it appeals to me as a potential purchase.

I'd never buy a CTS, but that doesn't mean that I'm not impressed by it.

There just isn't anything impressive in this segment yet, and I was hoping that GM would steal that thunder.

They didn't.

I'm straddling the fence on the Terrain. I want to like it, in fact I almost like it ... but there's something that's holding me back from liking it. I can't quite put my finger on it. Is it the grille? Could be. I didn't like the dumpy smile the Yukon wore on its face when it first debuted and I still don't care for it now. Is it busy, ten-tons of junk it wears on its ass? Again, that could be the problem. There isn't any detail on the backside of this trucklet that I find particularly in good taste.

If GM was going for "polarizing" then mission accomplished.

I just can't make heads or tails of it.

Edited by YellowJacket894

I think it's the grille I don't care for, and the general blockyness in profile,the disjointed greenhouse (the rear quarter windows seem to be an afterthought) it's not a very cohesive design, IMHO.

As far as the Yukon goes, it's not so much the grille, but the vertical headlights..the headlight treatment makes it look tall and narrow, IMHO. The Tahoe lighting treatment is much more pleasing, IMHO. (The Tahoe and 'Burban are the best looking big SUVs IMHO).

Edited by moltar

I think it's the grille I don't care for, and the general blockyness in profile,the disjointed greenhouse (the rear quarter windows seem to be an afterthought) it's not a very cohesive design, IMHO.

As far as the Yukon goes, it's not so much the grille, but the vertical headlights..the headlight treatment makes it look tall and narrow, IMHO. The Tahoe head treatment is much more pleasing, IMHO. (The Tahoe and 'Burban are the best looking big SUVs IMHO).

Exactly.

There's nothing essentially wrong with it. GM should have let it just show up on the lots and skipped the autoshow circuit. Ford is showing all kinds of cars in NY. GM should have focused on the all new cars like the Camaro, Cruze, Volt, etc. A rebadged SUV just reinforces an image of GM that it needs to shed if it wants buyers to come back.

The terrain is no more of a rebadge than the H2 is of the Tahoe.

Then we disagree, FOG.

I see nothing compelling there.

but that's because you don't even like the intentions of this segment. No manufacturer, ever, could build something compelling for you in this segment because it's the segment that bothers you, not the vehicles specifically.

Try to look at it through a suburban housewife's point of view. She really wanted an H3, but it's kinda out of her price range with the economy and all and she's worried that the price of gas will go back up. Does she settle for a bar of soap CRV or does she get the Terrain that looks almost as butch as an H3, more expensive than an Equinox, and gets 30mph highway?

How about the guy who is downsizing from his Yukon because of gas prices but thinks the Acadia is too "mini-van". He's not looking for a real off-roader, but he wants something tough looking to beef up what he's lacking in the groin area. Can you really see someone like that getting into a Murano?

Then there is the young professional. She lost her job at the brokerage, but she landed on her feet at a new place pretty quickly. The pay isn't as good, but she'll get by as long as she can get out of the payments on her LR3. She wants something upscale. There's no way she's getting into an Equinox or Vue, she'd never be caught dead in something as low rung as a Chevy or Saturn. She doesn't want another VW because of all the trouble with the one she had in college. GMC has some respect and it's a tough looking vehicle. Gets decent mileage too. A Denali version would be a great fit here.

Face it, this vehicle was never intended to be marketed to a curmudgeon living in the woods with his dogs. :neenerneener:

It definitely is a love-it or hate-it design, and I actually love it. It does have the look of the smaller brother to the Acadia, except a bit more squared-off. I also notice the wheel arches and general squaredness design of it, they are probably trying to appeal to Jeep/Hummer fans as well as GMC and truck-loving affectionados altogether. I think the design works well, sure there are a couple things I wish they did differently, but it's not obtrusive and definitely not as bad looking as an Aztek. Whoever thought of that comparison should have their eyes checked. Both designs manage to be different, only one seems to work well

Behold, the Aztek of GMC ... :P

Reading my mind. Of course, I think the Aztek looked better.

In fact, after seeing this, I think we were better off with the Torrent.

For some reason, this reminds me of the H2... as if this would have made a good Hummer.

I love this look, the face is beautiful! :D Yes I know most of you think it is ugly, but have you looked at the HIDEOUS Honda PILOT????? :puke:

This is way better than the Honda Pilot, I really like it. Like the news says, it is a hate or love approach to sell more. I think this will actually be a big hit. Look at the current Yukon, I personally think it is ugly and is way worse looks wise than the older Yukon and yet it is selling very well.

Dodge proved that a hate or love body styling tends to bring out buyers who want to stand out from the crowd. Who cares that if you look at some of the other vehicles in GM stable the interior stack is identical, it is GM after all. But for GMC this clearly stands apart and will sell IMO.

Edited by dfelt

but that's because you don't even like the intentions of this segment. No manufacturer, ever, could build something compelling for you in this segment because it's the segment that bothers you, not the vehicles specifically.

Try to look at it through a suburban housewife's point of view. She really wanted an H3, but it's kinda out of her price range with the economy and all and she's worried that the price of gas will go back up. Does she settle for a bar of soap CRV or does she get the Terrain that looks almost as butch as an H3, more expensive than an Equinox, and gets 30mph highway?

How about the guy who is downsizing from his Yukon because of gas prices but thinks the Acadia is too "mini-van". He's not looking for a real off-roader, but he wants something tough looking to beef up what he's lacking in the groin area. Can you really see someone like that getting into a Murano?

Then there is the young professional. She lost her job at the brokerage, but she landed on her feet at a new place pretty quickly. The pay isn't as good, but she'll get by as long as she can get out of the payments on her LR3. She wants something upscale. There's no way she's getting into an Equinox or Vue, she'd never be caught dead in something as low rung as a Chevy or Saturn. She doesn't want another VW because of all the trouble with the one she had in college. GMC has some respect and it's a tough looking vehicle. Gets decent mileage too. A Denali version would be a great fit here.

Face it, this vehicle was never intended to be marketed to a curmudgeon living in the woods with his dogs. :neenerneener:

:rotflmao: I totally agree but for a monday your post made be crack up. Thanks I needed a good laugh! :rotflmao:

IMO, it doesn't get much cleaner than this:

dodge-journey12a15.jpg

dodge-journey12a14.jpg

dodge-journey12a20.jpg

:puke: This is a clean but still ugly representation of a MiniVan. NO THANKS! :puke: GMC Terrain is much better and while it does remind me of the Ugly Honda Pilot, I think this is a far superior take on the CUV segment than the Pilot will ever be.

:puke: This is a clean but still ugly representation of a MiniVan. NO THANKS! :puke: GMC Terrain is much better and while it does remind me of the Ugly Honda Pilot, I think this is a far superior take on the CUV segment than the Pilot will ever be.

I would except bland, but point out to me exactly what is ugly about it.

QUOTE (ocnblu @ Apr 5 2009, 06:15 AM)

WICKED. I applaud GM for spending the money to truly differentiate this exterior from the Equinox. Yes, I was shocked on first viewing, but when I blew up the photos and looked again, I can see this is the production version of all those recent GMC Concept vehicles so many of our members wanted to see. Silver, once again, to show maximum contrast so we can see all the body lines, but in real life, in a different color (white, brown, green for example), this thing will look good. I think I'm gonna like this.

Dodgefan: your bias is showing. Yes, the Terrain is squarecut, but have you seen the current Grand Cherokee? The Patriot? Both of those designs are just as linear. And the '10 Ram HD? That truck's grille is ridiculous.

O`RLY?

01_GRC_09.jpg

Yeah, it's a total Brick, what with those round headlights, and those square wheel arches that aren't actually square (they are rounded trapezoids).

I won't argue the Patriot is a brick, but then it's my least favorite jeep behind the Compass.

As for the Ram, have you seen the Silverado HD, Superduty or Sierra HD lately? They all have massive grills, but with the exception of the Silverado (pre MCE because the refresh is shaping up nicely) and the SuperDuty the grills appear proportionate.

As far as the Terrain goes, I don't mind it much after looking at it besides that front end. The grill is should be 1/3 smaller and I hate the placement of the GMC badge. Also is very much dislike how the leading edge of the foglights don't run parallel to the grill and lower intake. It's just bad design.

Actually I think he got confused as the Chrokee is not the Brick, but the Commander is the total Brick for Jeep IMO.

Edited by dfelt

Curmudgeon, eh?

Perhaps.

But that misses the point I was making.

There are plenty of cars that I can respect soley based on their execution, this isn't one of them.

For example, I respect and am impressed by the Malibu though I'd never buy one. This segment has no such product.

I'm not singling out the Terrain here, it is no worse an offender than its competition.

I have to say that in the video the front end looks a lot better. It could be better, but t's far less offensive.

With that said, I can't help but laugh at some of the commentary...especially about the "unique" center stack which is the same damn thing you'll find in the Equinox....so it's not exactly "unique".

UI have to say that in the video the front end looks a lot better. It could be better, but t's far less offensive.

With that said, I can't help but laugh at some of the commentary...especially about the "unique" center stack which is the same damn thing you'll find in the Equinox....so it's not exactly "unique".

One of the guys in the video said something about the interior being 'mostly unique'.

This grille shape reminds me of the Audi shield grille shape.

I think one aspect of the front I really don't like, more than the grille, is how tall and blunt it is--the height of the front end from the base of the airdam to the hood seems very tall and flat. Without measuring with a tape measure, the front vertically seems about 50% taller than some older SUVs of a similar size.

Edited by moltar

Jalopnik has a very good gallery, with detail closeups.

http://jalopnik.com/5198774/2010-gmc-terra...ne=true&s=i

Take a look at the details!

medium_3412822999_9ac5a32931_o.jpg

AHH!!! I love it!!! (You guys know that I'm a hot rodder, and hot rodders SWEAT THE DETAILS)

Details are what make a design in my eyes.

Oh, and after looking at the nose some more. I don't think the grille is the awkward part. I think the exaggerated area around the foglights is what throws a lot of people. I see a lot of Outlook in that lower bumper design (And that was one of the details I LOVED about the Outlook). My GF said the front of the Terrain reminds her of the Escalade "at first glance"

Of course, EVERYONE in the media is ratcheting up the "badge engineering" bull$h! since that is GM's weak spot right now. Clearly, this is no more "badge engineered" than the Camry/ES. However, I'm sure they're trying to get Uncle Sam to convince GM to destroy yet another one of it's priceless brands.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Oh, and after looking at the nose some more. I don't think the grille is the awkward part. I think the exaggerated area around the foglights is what throws a lot of people. I see a lot of Outlook in that lower bumper design (And that was one of the details I LOVED about the Outlook). My GF said the front of the Terrain reminds her of the Escalade "at first glance"

The area around the foglights remind me of an exaggerated version of the foglight area on the GLK that I find so strange...reminds me of the tinfoil helmet of Professor Chaos on 'South Park'...

I'm starting to like it more. It's certainly more distinctive than the ML... I mean, Equinox.

My only complaint is that it's a truckish body on a car-like platform, so the wheels/tires look a bit small. They seem to be set inboard and are completely dwarfed by the protruding fender flares. Also, from behind it looks quite narrow and tippy, like all Theta/TE cars.

Still, it's a surprisingly clean design that looks architectural, and well, "professional."

quite honestly GMC sells simply because some people like GM but refuse to drive anything Chevrolet no matter what.

TED, you are right in that the 2010 GMC Terrain is an evolution of the three past "Terra" concetps (Terradyne <2000>, TerraCross <2001>, and Terra4 <2002>). Based on that assumption, I se less of the Terra4 in the Terrain's design (save for the flared fenders) and more of the Terradyne and TerraCross. I'm just happy that this sucker wasn't the basis:

0501_naias%202005_gmc_graphyte_concept%2

gmc_Graphyte_DV_05_NYC_05.jpg

The 2005 GMC Graphyte concept CUV was a nightmare IMO. I will say that the shield-grille design was lent to the Terrain apparently (see the 2nd pic I posted), but thankfully that's all.

I still like this buff CUV a lot and can't wait to see it in a little over a week at the NYIAS. I think the lighter colors, like this silver, are not doing it justice and hope that the black one is on display in NYC.

I love this look, the face is beautiful! :D Yes I know most of you think it is ugly, but have you looked at the HIDEOUS Honda PILOT????? :puke:

This is way better than the Honda Pilot, I really like it. Like the news says, it is a hate or love approach to sell more. I think this will actually be a big hit. Look at the current Yukon, I personally think it is ugly and is way worse looks wise than the older Yukon and yet it is selling very well.

Dodge proved that a hate or love body styling tends to bring out buyers who want to stand out from the crowd. Who cares that if you look at some of the other vehicles in GM stable the interior stack is identical, it is GM after all. But for GMC this clearly stands apart and will sell IMO.

way better than the pilot, for sure.

you know, looking at the Jalopnik pictures, does anyone see any current SRX in the side profile? Its almost like they transferred the SRX wagon look into this thing a little.

TED, you are right in that the 2010 GMC Terrain is an evolution of the three past "Terra" concetps (Terradyne <2000>, TerraCross <2001>, and Terra4 <2002>). Based on that assumption, I se less of the Terra4 in the Terrain's design (save for the flared fenders) and more of the Terradyne and TerraCross. I'm just happy that this sucker wasn't the basis:

0501_naias%202005_gmc_graphyte_concept%2

gmc_Graphyte_DV_05_NYC_05.jpg

The 2005 GMC Graphyte concept CUV was a nightmare IMO. I will say that the shield-grille design was lent to the Terrain apparently (see the 2nd pic I posted), but thankfully that's all.

I still like this buff CUV a lot and can't wait to see it in a little over a week at the NYIAS. I think the lighter colors, like this silver, are not doing it justice and hope that the black one is on display in NYC.

Funny.

I feel exactly the opposite way on this. The Graphyte is far more appealing and cohensive in design to my eye than the Terrain.

Except for that awful grille.

That said, wouldn't Graphyte be too large for this segment?

I'm starting to like it more. It's certainly more distinctive than the ML... I mean, Equinox.

My only complaint is that it's a truckish body on a car-like platform, so the wheels/tires look a bit small. They seem to be set inboard and are completely dwarfed by the protruding fender flares.

This was one of the points addressed on the video..designer said the wheels/tires are 'tucked in' for aerodynamics..i.e. fuel efficiency.

I would except bland, but point out to me exactly what is ugly about it.

From the front, it is totally bland, no emotion evokes from looking at it head on, you see this bland front grill with an over done chrome area up to a pretty flat bland hood etc. Just like the current Mini Vans Chrysler makes.

From the side, the tail area reminds me of the weird ugly angle cut that Subaru has on their CUV, just seems that someone took the metal chisel and waked at it to get some angles and left it as is. Also the fender flairs look as an after thought, side profile screams MiniVan, not CUV and again very bland look.

From the rear, I actually find it funny that this model is tagged as an RT model. Sorry but no MiniVan will ever handle being a performance sedan and this is for sure no Jeep Cheeroke SRT8.

Over all bland clean look but Ugly IMO. Nothing on this auto seems to make sense of where it is. Reminds me of a last minute effort to throw something together. <_<

Edited by dfelt

I'm going to pull a FOG and pick apart the statement.

From the front, it is totally bland, no emotion evokes from looking at it head on, you see this bland front grill with an over done chrome area up to a pretty flat bland hood etc. Just like the current Mini Vans Chrysler makes.

Bland is not ugly, you called it bland but did nothing to back up your claim that it's ugly. Overdone Chrome? Have you LOOKED at the huge swath of chrome framing the Terrain's stupidly large grill?

From the side, the tail area reminds me of the weird ugly angle cut that Subaru has on their CUV,

subaru-tribeca.jpg

09journey.jpg

Yeah, totally looks like a Tribeca from the side. :rolleyes:

Also the fender flairs look as an after thought, side profile screams MiniVan, not CUV and again very bland look.

You claim the fender flairs are an after thought while the Terrain's look completely tacked on with no integration whatsoever on the outer edges. The just go straight to the bottom of the car. On the Journey they form character lines that flow towards the front/back of the vehicle.

From the rear, I actually find it funny that this model is tagged as an RT model. Sorry but no MiniVan will ever handle being a performance sedan and this is for sure no Jeep Cheeroke SRT8.

You know what I find funny? A "professional grade" Equinox. Or a "professional grade" Outlook. Or how about every half assed Chevy that was bestowed the SS badge?

Over all bland clean look but Ugly IMO. Nothing on this auto seems to make sense of where it is. Reminds me of a last minute effort to throw something together. <_<

I'm baffled by how you think the styling "doesn't make sense" on the Journey, but somehow Terrain, with a rear end that looks like it came from another car (like a Sienna or a Rendezvous) , and the front end with misguided lines and a giant, plastered on grill, is "beautiful."

I won't argue that the Journey is bland, but calling it "clean" and "bland" then calling it ugly with examples that you used just contradicts your opinion/fails to back it up.

Camino, isn't this the type of polarizing design you think GM needs? It isn't going to appeal to everyone. Far better than the blandtastic 1st gen Equinox and its worthless counterpart, the Equinox with a grille insert.

The Equinox with a grille insert is the Torrent, something I own and am proud of. :neenerneener: I would rather have nice and bland or clean than this. Although the second gen Equinox is good looking but if this is suppose to replace the Torrent, I am glad I have my Pontiac. Even if it was in your eyes a cheap rebadge. :unitedstates:

While driving home tonite, I saw a car in my rearview mirror that I realized resembles the Terrain--except for the grille detail, the front end shape--lighting, fascia, etc of the Mercury Mariner is quite similar, albeit 'softer' and probably smaller.

That's hard to argue with.

Terrain might have been better as a mini version of Acadia.

I agree. I was expecting the Terrain to be more of a mini-Acadia. The Acadia is the perfect CUV design for GMC: it's a no nonsense design that looks professional and tailored. The Terrain looks too over-the-top and cartoonish. The overall shape of the Terrain is perfect, but the front end design and wheel flares are overdone and the back end design is too soft and bland. If GMC could tone down the overdone elements and beef up the rear end treatment just a tad, then I think this vehicle might be just about perfect for the brand. They started out with a good basic shape, but ruined it with the details.