Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mphmag

Mercury Milan Video

16 posts in this topic

I know I'm probably trolling too much here and making everyone link to mph, but I value the feedback from these forums a lot.

We're trying a new column on the blog called video Q&A. we only got 2 in of the Pontiac G6 coupe due to time constraints and bad weather. Now have the Mercury Milan going through its paces. Please send us any questions you want answered in live video and I'll do my best.

http://www.mph-online.com/blogs/0065

Also the Solstice comes in Friday for another round of video Q&A. Although now its 40 degrees out ;)

Dave

Pretty cool, but what was all that noise (popping/rattling) when the driver floored it at the green light...was that the transmission shifting? Hopefully the microphone is just ultra-sensitive, because even when I floor my 12 year old Lumina, I don't get that much racket.

I didn't hear any bad rattling. After turning behind the Jeep, there was a rattle resulting from going over a bump in the road, and under hard acceleration I only noticed some slight noise from things in the cabin moving aobut due to an uneven road. It seems pretty quiet to me!

Impressive way to review vehicles. I like the concept. Honestly, the Milan review made me want to test drive the Lincoln Zephyr. :P I liked the point that he made about "how" to test the performance of a vehicle (not verbatim): "If you test drive it like a GTO, you'll be disappointed ... if you drive it like a Camry, you'll be more impressed." Far too often in GM vehicle reviews, you can tell that the journalist has driven the vehicle outside of its character and only reports how it drives outside of its character. That's defeating the purpose of the review. A GTO is bought for the performance expectations and that performance will be called upon 100x over within the life of a GTO than it would ever in a Toyota Camry's life.

I agree with ven. It's an awesome way to review a vehicle. Most of the people watching would never test drive one without actually seeing the car perform on the road. It sounded quiet to me. I think that racket when the car was behind the Jeep was the microphone/camera moving due to acceleration and a bump in the road. That engine sounded pretty good, though.

That's a great way to test cars. I like that he pointed to the fact that if you test the Milan like a GTO, you'll be disappointed; but like a Camry, and you're impressed. The car seemed quiet and held together well, IMO. I like the Milan a little more than I used to.

As always we appreciate the feedback. the rattling is actually the camera mount attached to the passenger side headrest. over hard bumps it does rattle. Chicago has lots of hard bumps as will be seen in the next vid tomorrow. The only driving segment I had left over from the G6 was the bumpyness test which it passed much better than the milan. 3 days to the Solstice...

Yeah, you should put the GTP driving clip up. I'd love to hear/see that thing move. Great format, by the way!

I'll post the two cars going through the bumpiest road in chicago back to back later today. DT

You guys need to conclude each video test drive with a 100+mph run down Lower Wacker Drive a la The Blues Brothers.

By the way, I forgot to mention it, but I too think this is a great way to review cars. Actually getting to hear the engine and see it in action is way better than just reading about it in print.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0