Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2007 Duesenberg Torpedo Coupe

mustang84

Posted Image

Duesenberg Torpedo® Coupe

A new Duesenberg luxury automobile to bring the United States back into the top segment of the World automotive marketplace - the Duesenberg Torpedo® Coupe. It is now being designed by famed California automobile designer Jeff Teague, of Teague Design Inc. ([email protected]), with a planned market introduction in January, 2007. The Duesenberg Torpedo® Coupe will offer the ultimate luxury motoring for four passengers, along with a unique blend of automotive innovation and the finest comfort features.

The Torpedo® Coupe will be driven by a revolutionary new power plant, the CEM engine now in final development by E.P. Industries ([email protected]), an air-cooled and self lubricating, forced-air inducted (supercharged), 12 cylinder, double ended, ported, multi-fueled, four-stroke engine with a calculated 70 MPG and 300 horsepower from an economical 100 pound package measuring 18 inches in diameter and 24 inches in length, which will provide an unparalleled power-to-weight ratio.

Be sure to check back for updates on the progress on America's newest luxury automobile, updates will be posted frequently.

Currently in development with planned market introduction January 2007.

Duesenberg website

Air Cooled?--Will it pass emitions?----Duble Ended??--WHAT???----300HP??-((V12???))-And (SUPERCHARGED) at that??? It must be like 3.0L's or something! The idea of a new AMERICAN MADE DUESENDERG sounds ((GREAT!!)) But 300HP from a V12 with 70MPG?? Does not add up.

Double ended may mean its reversable like a Detroit diesel was. Everything could be bolted to either end of the block, Im not sure why this would be needed, if it is what double ended means ? What baffels me is 18X24 @ 100 lbs. Thats small and light but much casting can be saved by eliminating water jacket. Id be concerned about reliability. It cant even be 3 litre I dont believe. Deutz diesel was a widely used air cooled diesel of decent reputation. At 100 lbs it doesnt sound like the crank or other necessary iron parts are strong enough. Well I hope they pull it off not pull it over.

NICE!!! Maybe GM should buy this company, at least for the technology. Of course... Having a dream and achieving it are 2 different things. Examples: Tucker, revolutionary cars that never made it to mass market. Packard, recently (2000 time frame) Packard tried to make a comeback and, as far as I know was unsuccessful. They even used GM parts. Then comes Cunningham, Lutz baby, awesome credetials, big time backing and a complete flop, never came to market. Hopefully they can make it though... Didn't Morgan make a comeback from the dead? P.S. That Maybach concept is an AMAZING car!!! I love it!

I am hopeing there are some MISPRINTS when refering to the Engine. I like the look of the rendering over all I just hope it works and works well. I would LOVE to see DUSI make a GREAT COME BACK with ADVANCED WORLD BEATING PREMIUM LEVEL PRODUCTS!!

NICE!!!

Maybe GM should buy this company, at least for the technology.

Of course... Having a dream and achieving it are 2 different things.

Examples: Tucker, revolutionary cars that never made it to mass market. Packard, recently (2000 time frame) Packard tried to make a comeback and, as far as I know was unsuccessful. They even used GM parts. Then comes Cunningham, Lutz baby, awesome credetials, big time backing and a complete flop, never came to market.

Hopefully they can make it though... Didn't Morgan make a comeback from the dead?

P.S. That Maybach concept is an AMAZING car!!! I love it!

[post="43524"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Morgan never died, they just withdrew from the American market. This Duesenberg is the latest iteration. The previous Duesenberg Motors company folded and the assets were acquired by this new company, Duesenberg Coachworks. The Murphy Roadster is carryover, the Estate Car is much improved. The licensor, Duesenberg LLC, remains unchanged. If GM were to build a Maybach and Rolls-Royce competitor (and the feeling is there is not a big enough market), then licencing the Duesenberg name would work well.

Morgan never died, they just withdrew from the American market. This Duesenberg is the latest iteration. The previous Duesenberg Motors company folded and the assets were acquired by this new company, Duesenberg Coachworks. The Murphy Roadster is carryover, the Estate Car is much improved. The licensor, Duesenberg LLC, remains unchanged. If GM were to build a Maybach and Rolls-Royce competitor (and the feeling is there is not a big enough market), then licencing the Duesenberg name would work well.

Actually, Morgan never withdrew from the American market either. Before the recent introduction of the Aero 8, there were two American distributors of the old Morgan designs; one in Virginia and one in San Francisco.

The old Duesenberg Motors built what I am told were excellent recreations of old Duesenberg designs. I have seen a couple in person and they're interest...they look like real Dueseys from a distance, but up-close, you can see the "PRNDL" gear shift lever and modern equipment like stereo systems and air conditioning. As I recall, they're based on Ford F-Series chassis, which makes sense for their size.

This "new" Duesenberg won't make it to production. There's no way that this comany could get a new design and an all-new engine certified for sale in the US. And what point is there on having an American-built luxury car if you can't sell it in the US?

There have been quite a few attempts at reviving old brands: Duesenberg (three other times), Packard (no fewer than two times), Tucker (Preston himself was working on it at the time of his death), among others. None have succeeded. I'm still amazed that Panoz is in production.

This is a very tough market to get into. I've seen financial statements that lead me to believe that it would take somewhere north of $50 million to launch an all-new vehicle with a dedicated engine and platform. I just don't see many people viewing this as a "niche waiting to be filled." As sad as that may be.

I have a list of more than 40 companies that have attempted to begin car production in the last quarter century, but between them all, may have built 200 vehicles including prototypes. It's a tough market.

Technically even Russian SUV-maker UAZ has a US distributor, but that doesn't mean they have any real presence in the US market, nor that their vehicles are designed for US regulations. There any number of low-volume imports that don't have formal factory support in the same way a US-compliant Lotus or Morgan does.

I see now, this is pretty swift. Now they need to utilize the ore tecnology used in professional chainsaws and that inner body can be made of light alloy with the cylinders coated for wear resistance. Which may very well be what they are doing. Now we have the heads to seal, thats gotta be the problem area. Rotary seals with chambers to isolate, hmm? I like this guy !

Each end of a piston is effectively a seperate cylinder (2x6=12 cyl). While one side is expanding the other is compressed etc.. The stroke is caused by a normal combution process. The pins ride in a channel between the cam halves, converting the linear motion of the pistons into a radial motion about the driveshaft axis.

Actually, Morgan never withdrew from the American market either. Before the recent introduction of the Aero 8, there were two American distributors of the old Morgan designs; one in Virginia and one in San Francisco.

The old Duesenberg Motors built what I am told were excellent recreations of old Duesenberg designs. I have seen a couple in person and they're interest...they look like real Dueseys from a distance, but up-close, you can see the "PRNDL" gear shift lever and modern equipment like stereo systems and air conditioning. As I recall, they're based on Ford F-Series chassis, which makes sense for their size.

This "new" Duesenberg won't make it to production. There's no way that this comany could get a new design and an all-new engine certified for sale in the US. And what point is there on having an American-built luxury car if you can't sell it in the US?

There have been quite a few attempts at reviving old brands: Duesenberg (three other times), Packard (no fewer than two times), Tucker (Preston himself was working on it at the time of his death), among others. None have succeeded. I'm still amazed that Panoz is in production.

This is a very tough market to get into. I've seen financial statements that lead me to believe that it would take somewhere north of $50 million to launch an all-new vehicle with a dedicated engine and platform. I just don't see many people viewing this as a "niche waiting to be filled." As sad as that may be.

I have a list of more than 40 companies that have attempted to begin car production in the last quarter century, but between them all, may have built 200 vehicles including prototypes. It's a tough market.

[post="43861"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I find this very interesting.. Any idea where I could find more info on the topic?

BTW, I guess Saleen is an exception to the rule? I mean, I guess the S7 has to be certified doesn't it? Well, unless it's low volume enough not to be.

I find this very interesting.. Any idea where I could find more info on the topic?

BTW, I guess Saleen is an exception to the rule? I mean, I guess the S7 has to be certified doesn't it? Well, unless it's low volume enough not to be.

When I get my book written, I'll let you know.

As for Saleen...you've got one, but I have yet to see how many of these vehicles they've actually built...aside from race cars. The S7 would need to be certified for emissions and safety, of which it did apply for an exemption to some safety regulations. But I'd venture to guess that the S7 could fall in the 200-unit total, if I removed all prototypes.

Technically even Russian SUV-maker UAZ has a US distributor, but that doesn't mean they have any real presence in the US market, nor that their vehicles are designed for US regulations. There any number of low-volume imports that don't have formal factory support in the same way a US-compliant Lotus or Morgan does.

UAZ HAD a distributor about a decade ago, but they have yet to bring a US-spec truck into this country. Morgan, on the other hand, has been selling US-spec cars for decades.

The number of "low-volume imports that don't have formal factory support" is miniscule. There was a brief entry by AutoDelta bringing in Alfa Romeos (maybe a dozen cars), the UAZ America that you mentioned (no vehicles), CX Auto stopped importing Citroens about 15 years ago...am I missing any? Lotus and Morgan US operations have affiliations with the manufacturer even though they're not owned by the factory.

When I get my book written, I'll let you know.

As for Saleen...you've got one, but I have yet to see how many of these vehicles they've actually built...aside from race cars. The S7 would need to be certified for emissions and safety, of which it did apply for an exemption to some safety regulations. But I'd venture to guess that the S7 could fall in the 200-unit total, if I removed all prototypes.

[post="44284"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think the Lotus Elise is sold under some sort of safety-reg low-volume exemption..(though it does have airbags). I don't know what the production figures on the S7 are, but it's pretty low...(i've only seen 4 different ones out and about over the last 2 years).

I think the Lotus Elise is sold under some sort of safety-reg low-volume exemption..(though it does have airbags).    I don't know what the production figures on the S7 are, but it's pretty low...(i've only seen 4 different ones out and about over the last 2 years).

I think the Elise may be high-enough volume not to get away with much. The first generation Elise couldn't meet US specs (partially due to a lack of airbags).

• 3 weeks later...
Another company that's still in business is Avanti Motors. http://avantimotors.com I know because I live about five miles from one of about a half dozen authorized Avanti dealers in the country. It's a sharp, clean car, with a custom fiberglass body on a Mustang chassis and Mustang mechanicals. Not quite the Avanti of old but a creditable, luxurious and undeniably unique automobile.

I'm curious to see when and if Avanti comes out with a 2006 model. They must build 100 or so per year as it is. The 2006 model would be based on the new Mustang, and would be offered in both six and eight cylinder variants. It is literally the most exclusive and luxurious Mustang you can own! I'm puzzled why these cars don't get better publicity - they aren't listed in the DuPont Registry guide to exotics nor have I seen a word about this company in recent years in any of the buff books. The struggle to survive must be a mighty one - the 2002 models were based on the old Camaro, the 2004 models on the last generation Mustang and (hopefully) the 2006 models on the new generation Mustang.

Another company that's still in business is Avanti Motors.    http://avantimotors.com  I know because I live about five miles from one of about a half dozen authorized Avanti dealers in the country.  It's a sharp, clean car, with a custom fiberglass body on a Mustang chassis and Mustang mechanicals.  Not quite the Avanti of old but a creditable, luxurious and undeniably unique automobile.

I'm curious to see when and if Avanti comes out with a 2006 model.    They must build  100 or so per year as it is.    The 2006 model would be based on the new Mustang, and would be offered in both six and eight cylinder variants.    It is literally the most exclusive and luxurious Mustang you can own!      I'm puzzled why these cars don't get better publicity  - they aren't listed in the DuPont Registry guide to exotics nor have I seen a word about this company in recent years in any of the buff books.  The struggle to survive must be a mighty one - the 2002 models were based on the old Camaro,  the 2004 models on the last generation Mustang and (hopefully) the 2006 models on the new generation Mustang.

Avanti's probably not listed in many magazines because it's a) basically a kit car with a new body draped over a Mustang (or Firebird, as in the last generation Avanti) and B) having trouble staying afloat. The company has been for sale for over a year now. I would venture to guess that they do not build even 100 cars a year.

• 2 weeks later...

Now thats interesting, I want to play because I dont understand it by looking at it, and thats just the kind of thing to stimulate me. Maybe a rotary ? What the heck is going on in this town ?

We need a revolutionary idea.

[post="43590"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

a previous poster wisely called this thing smoke and mirrors.
smoke and mirrors would be a compliment.
from the site:
CEM Engine has the potential to become one of the first self-lubricating, air-cooled, multi-fuel, four-stroke cycle engines to deliver two horsepower/pound..
anyone remember the "dale". 70MPG 3 wheeled car. if i remember correctly it was being promoted by a crossdressing man. anyway this site is looking for investors. WATCH OUT, this is an official NEST EGG ALERT! your hard earned bucks and kids inheiritence could be pissed away.

My g/f's genuis brother has blueprints of a similar design.... a pancake version of this basic concept. Very complicated but fascianting. So far he's ben contacted by GM about it but he was hoping his favorite manufacturer, Volvo would show interest. This looks even more complex. :D

thats going to be a bitch to work on!!!!!! But why dont they make a Buggatti veryon or something compittor. have a Supercharged V16 super long/super performing car like a a ... Cough* Caddy sixteen * cough