2010 Cadillac SRX First Drive

2010_Cadillac_SRX.jpg

GM doesn't really want us calling this a first drive, but this morning we drove the almost-production-ready 2010 Cadillac SRX and it felt good. Like luxury crossover segment-defying good.

It's Monday, the second week in April, and in Michigan it can only mean one thing, six inches of snow to start the work week. We slogged our way through this morning's sloppy mess destined for the sleepy town of Milford, a pair of shiny new 2010 Cadillac SRX's awaiting. GM gave us first dibs behind the wheel of their new crossover as long as we assured everyone these were early mules and not finished cars, which we just did, but considering how polished these cars are, there's really no reason to do so.

This second-generation SRX replaces the more wagon-like SRX which debuted in 2004 and does so in a much more SUV-looking shape and on a platform GM calls "Theta Premium. It's the same platform that Saab will use to build the 2010 9-4X. Some critics will bemoan the loss the tall wagon, but we'll be the first to state nothing has been lost in translation. The new SRX is good, really good. Lexus RX350-beating good. For a segment which has traditionally isolated the driver in a cocoon of leather and glass and over-damping, the SRX actually makes driving part of the equation.

We drove two different iterations, both were equipped with the baseline 3.0-liter V6 with 265 HP, 235 lb-ft of torque (a 300 HP turbocharged 2.8-liter V6 will come as the product goes to market), mated to a six-speed automatic transmission and both equipped with the latest generation of the Haldex all-wheel-drive system, found elsewhere in the GM universe in the Saab 9-3 Turbo X. The difference between the two came in the form of the pop-up navigation system, bigger wheels, and real-time active damping system on the silver car, which we'll get into later.

Numbers are great, but what about when the SRX is actually matched up to the competition? Believe us when we say the SRX is a Lexus-beating vehicle. On virtually every front, the SRX matches the RX 350. Blow-for-blow, we were impressed on comfort, amenities, material quality, space and luxury, but what the Cadillac has and the Lexus doesn't is the attention of the driver. This crossover actually handles. We'll even go so far as to say it's a Caddy that zigs and even zags.

On the highway the vehicle is quiet, with the acoustic glass keeping road and wind noise to a minimum. While the transmission shifts are a bit lax (we're told by GM engineers it's still in calibration) but as a commuter, it's totally fine. Nudge the gear lever into sport mode though and the shift points change, the rev limit bumps up and the car awakens. Throw it into a corner and it grips, the body roll is kept to a minimum, no buck and sway over uneven pavement. You can actually feel what the tires are doing. You hear the engine when you're supposed to, you can brake hard and know where it will stop.

The base model vehicle is as composed as any normal crossover when facing the inclement weather and Michigan's Baghdad-grade roads, but the active suspension really shines through. Put the SRX into split quality surfaces and the ride barely changes. Dump it into potholes and run it through deep slush and it soaks up those imperfections while feeling as solid as a German luxury wagon. You can drive though the nastiest heaves one minute and barely jostle your passengers. Then toss it into a hard corner the next minute, and it doesn't pitch and yaw. It's bewilderingly solid.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I am not a fan of crossovers, but the SRX surprised the hell out of me. If this is what the early testers are like, we almost can't wait to see what it can do on dry pavement, and that's a shocking statement to make about a car in a segment we typically dismiss.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalo...RX_Drive-03.jpg

Not that I have ever thought that much of Lexus anythings...this is a great review and good news for GM at a time when they need it. I cannot wait to drive one and if it is this good, buy one for the wife in that exact silver as shown to match my Escalade! :smilies-38096:

I'm still not a fan of its looks, but in this segment, 'buttugly' seems to be the new, hot trend.

Of course, the previous SRX drove awesomely too, and was a great product to boot, but no one bought it because it didn't have a big, fat 'L' or 'A' on its grille.

Isn't the X3 and above RWD? Wouldn't it be an apple to oranges comparison?

Only GLK and X3 are RWD. Rest - SexyRX, prescription-RX, RDX, XC60 and Q5 are all FWD biased vehicles.

Holy smokes look at the number of cars with X in their names in this group.

ANYTIME a Caddy can be called better than a Lexus is a great thing IMO. Means a step in the right direction.

I agree! Great review, and if Cadillac can get called Lexus enough, people might actually buy there products. Exactly why I believe Buick as a brand is worth-less. I thought Buick was suppose to go after Lexus? I am very excited to start seeing them on the road.

I'm really torn on this. I think it's awesome that it's being compared favorably to it's intended competition (i.e. the lexus thing) and hopefully it will fare well against it. Certainly looks WAY nicer.

On the other hand, I agree with dodgefan. Cadillac is supposed to be competing with Mercedes, BMW and the like. In which case, the SRX should have been updated to be less wagon looking and kept its RWD and size.

Doesn't really matter what I think though, I'd never buy one as SUV/CUV/whatever isn't my thing.

In a sense, but they are luxury CUVs so not really. People compared Audis and BMWs even though most Audis are on FWD platforms.

I don't know much about Audi platforms, but I know that the Q5 is built on the Modular Longitudinal Platform (MLP). It is AWD-only, has a longitudinally mounted engine, and a 40:60 rear wheel bias.

Audi offers FWD on the TT, A3, A4, and A6. Despite this, they may not be FWD platforms. BMW could offer FWD versions of its cars too, but they obviously wouldn't. If Audi thinks that offering FWD versions hurts its image, they may stop doing that. Most Audis are AWD anyway. I know they are trying to move the company towards where BMW is, and the new MLP platform and rear-bias is a part of that. The proportions of the vehicles is also looking much nicer, as seen on the new A4.

Good review for a BETTER product than the outgoing SRX. Not to mention, the new CTS wagon SLAYS the outgoing SRX anyway.

Cadillac is doing exactly the right thing IN THIS SEGMENT.

Doesn't look like an Equinox to me....

I completely agree with all the above.

i get a sensation from the overall profile and side body creases, along with general greenhouse shape of too many famililial visual ties to equinox and vue. just one of many reasons i like terrain is it completely stands apart and follows a brand specific template. why isn't a cadillac template being set. aside from front and rear to give this more visual uniqueness and substance over eqinox and ilk. why isn't the stance, profile, bodylines more directly connected to a manly muscular future escalade direction [god help us if this srx will relate to future escalade].

that said, it's becoming increasingly evident theta is going to be successful at a lot of things even though there will be quibbles with all of them. for me, i'd rather see srx dynmically compared to performance leaders in the segment...........nonetheless, srx is shaping up to be a fine product, if not the complete glory from Caddy we'd all like to see, but at least some kind of positive buzz generator. heck, the sportwagon is the one I can't wait to see get it's due praise, one of the best looking vehicles overall at the auto show.

Edited by turbo200

I don't see what all the bitching is about... the old SRX was a great vehicle but it didn't sell and GM probably lost a lot of money on it. If it does the same things as the leader in the segment (in terms of sales), but does those same things better, I can't see how someone can complain. If you didn't notice, the market for vehicles like the RX appears to be much bigger than the market for vehicles like the old SRX, and GM is in dire need of some high volume products to keep afloat. If you want something like the old SRX, buy the CTS wagon; that's what the old SRX was, anyways. Granted, the CTS doesn't have 7 seats, but the 2 seats in the rear of the SRX were only designed for toddlers, anyways.

Also, I fail to see how the SRX looks like the Equinox. The overall shape is not even that similar because the SRX's roof line is so sloping, much more so than the Equinox's. And obviously the styling of the fascias is much different, with the SRX being chiseled and the Equinox all smooth and rounded. If anything, the Equinox and ML look similar, at least from the side.

from the first picture of the thread, glad they finally figured out how to style an enduring and classy wheel, with some flash. i do hope and believe the effort gone into producing thetas will result in success in the marketplace.

I have to agree with Northie: the rules have changed and GM needs volume/profit. If this size/configuration will sell better and reap more, do it.

That said, I also feel that a FWD-biased AWD is largely meaningless in the segment. None of these are driven like performance vehicles, nor should they be. Still, lexus --primarily a truck brand-- is generally acknowledged as the leader here (right or wrong), and I do not see it excluded by the consumer from the RWD competition. If this new SRX exceeds the rx overall, this has fantastic potential for Cadillac. Look at the wedge the CTS drove into that segment.

The wheels look huge- are those 20"s on such a small SUV? Real nice looking overall.

My only real problem with e SRX is it still looks a bit awkward from a straight profile shot because the front end appears to dip a lot lower than the rest of the bodywork. However from every other angle it looks pretty good.

I also don't mind the SRX because there's a choice of this, or the CTS wagon. So everyone wins.

don't rip the new SRX until you see it in the flesh. I have, it's hot.

also, having seen the CTS wagon and new nox in the flesh, i can also say all three are distinctive. you WILL NOT mistake the Equinox for the SRX.

If people paid attention, they would see they are all styling knockouts.

Hey RBB, haven't seen you in a while.

And yes, they are 100% identical. :P

Oh, I've been around a bit, though it's been somewhat infrequent of late. I've just been lurking mostly.

I honestly didn't think I was around enough for anyone to notice that I'd been gone. :wub:

I'm quite pleasantly suprised by the review - I was put off by the RWD to transverse-mounted FWD configuration. But from the sounds of things, the new SRX should handle as well as (if not better than) the old one. Good stuff, indeed.

-RBB

and the CTS wagon is lustful. best wagon i may have ever seen. More than makes up for axing the current SRX.

I love the new CTS wagon! I would gladly pimp one. I'm sure I'll have to wait and buy a 2 or 3 year old one, though. I'm not sure I like the new SRX styling, though. So far I like the Saab version of the Thetas best with the Equinox a close second. The Terrain definitely is the last place finisher. Hopefully I will like this Caddy more when I see it in the flesh.

• 1 month later...
Love my 2004 SRX and very excited for this baby as one of the kids will probably get the old one and I get a new one for the wife. :P

:lovey: My feeling for the exterior styling only. Sadly :thumbsdown: The interior is a big looser.

Dougs Northwest Caddilac and hummer dealership had a big weekend review of the 2010 SRX. Compared to my 04 SRX, there is a large reduction in interior space. The T shaped dash cuts big time into leg room, If you are over 6' tall then no one will be able to sit behind you so this is no longer a 4 person auto. Due to the exterior shape, the interior head room for the back seat passengers is curved so you end up having to bend your kneck to the center if you are tall.

Worst yet is that between the C & D pillar is the biggest blind spot I have ever seen, you really have to check and double check your mirrors as well as sholder check due to the big blind spot.

Dash is very nice, I like the over all design and layout. Noticed a few trim issues that I hope are truly resolved on the production runs. Strange issue was the two level cup holders. They had a push button that would release the mid level shelf so you have a deeper cup holder, but you really had to use your fingers to get the cup holder to go back into that shallower tray. Hope this is done better in production, otherwise it comes across as a cheap plastic tray that does not work that well.

Trunk area is much smaller on the new SRX but you do gain some very nice interior trays and functionality.

Seats were more comfortable than the existing SRX but I did notice one small issue for me, unlike my escalade head rests that tilt forward, the new SRX headrests are fixed and only go up and down. I feel this is a mistake as no two people have the same size head, shape etc and need to adjust the head rest.

Engine was solid and quite, while this was an AWD version, you could clearly tell on the drive it is bias'd to the front wheels. Yet for all the people there that got to test drive it and check it out, I did not hear anyone complain about this. The engine cover probably due to being on the road for shows and test drives was cracked and chipped and really should have been replaced. I figure it got this way due to servicing.

Wheels are nice and look sharp, small issue here is that the Rotors had considerable rust on them in places and this shows up through the rims. I would think GM would want this to look clean and not like some low end thrown together auto. I always find lots of rust on Ford and chevy and dodge entery level auto's. This is NOT something I expect to see on a luxury auto.

Over all I give it a solid B+. Due to the restrictive interior room and small little issues I ran into this car could have very well been an A or A+ auto.

I wish GM the best with selling this new cadillac, but I think it will not exceed the outgoing SRX and that to me is a shame.