Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Jeep Compass and Patriot concept sketches

Northstar

These were shown while the site was down, and no one ever posted them, so here they are:

Compass:

Posted Image

Patriot:

Posted Image

The legendary Jeep® brand hints at global portfolio expansion and explores all-new territory with the world premiere of two compact SUV concepts - the Jeep Patriot and Jeep Compass Rallye. The Jeep Patriot and Jeep Compass Rallye concepts are compact Jeep 4x4s that would deliver fun, freedom, utility, capability, as well as the potential for exceptional fuel economy and interior flexibility - all at a great value. The two concepts make their world premiere at the Frankfurt International Motor Show (IAA) on September 12. The Jeep® Patriot concept offers a modern interpretation of classic Jeep styling: rugged, strong and capable. It would appeal to young buyers looking to join the brand in a genuine Jeep vehicle that would deliver fun and freedom at a great value. Jeep Patriot not only looks like a Jeep, but all-new Jeep off-road technology would ensure Patriot could be a Jeep Trail Rated 4x4, making it the most capable vehicle in its class.

Thanks for posting! Yeah it sucks they're adding these cars to the lineup. I'm all for Jeep expanding, but only if they're Rubicon ready-and I'm not talking overboxed junk like Commander either.

The Patriot looks pretty good for jeep IMO
The Compass looks like a crossover that's on that mitsubishi platform that the Dodge Caliber is on (am I right?) to compete against the Vibe something simular.. I don't know how that would affect Jeep's image..
What happened with this Compass?
Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...
Oh no, the Patriot and Compass would never replace the Liberty-its too strong of a seller (best seller of the Jeep line I think) and too much of a following. They both look great, but they're still car-based Jeeps, and that's a move I question. Why not unsquare one of them a little bit and send them over to Chrysler to compete with Acura RDX and BMW X3?

Guest YellowJacket894
Is the Patriot a front-drive SUV? Because, if it is, this will be the only crossover I would ever condsider buying. I really like it. I hope the Patriot is a 100% bonafide production reality hiding under some concept camo. The Compass. Uh, yeah. We really didn't need that one. Looks like a whore Liberty had it's way with a Pathfinder and the Vibe GT-R concept and conceived a child.

The Patriot - in concept form - is executed very well. It looks like a Jeep, but thankfully does without the gaudiness of the Commander. If DCX has got a great design - especially if it can transfer this level of execution to the production line (that means no super-extended bumpers, cheap lights, panel inconsistencies). One thing I would change is a little less windshield...a Jeep trademark is having a lower windshield (conveys "toughness"). I'm going to withhold judgement on the Compass until I see some additional views...right now it looks like a candidate for Ugliest Car of the Year! Edited by red

Both concepts are very nice, and I hope to see them... 100% untouched, on the dealer lots. The Patriot is a mini Commander, less cartoonish than the base Liberty. Very nice... and the Compass is a Jeepster reincarnated. Both are real Jeeps, imo.

Of course, this isn't the first time Jeep has flirted with 'car-like' vehicles....here is the '61 Jeepster:

Posted Image

[post="10274"][/post]

OMG! I saw that exact vehicle yesterday (color and all) and couldn't figure out if it was a Jeep or a custom job!

Posted Image

Is it just me or does that turn signal look like a slice of cheese? The yellow being the inside part and the white being the outside skin. The only thing remotely Jeep about this psedo-quasi-hatchback-amalgamation is the front end. Didn't Zetsche say that Jeep was a nugget and DCX wanted to unearth that nugget? How about building on the heritage that Jeep has built over the past 60+ years? Just because Jeep has offered capable off-road vehicles in the past doesn't mean it should quit now. Many self proclaimed "Jeep people" refuse to buy any new Jeep product besides the Wrangler because they want something thats capable on and off the road. They'll just keep rebuilding their old Jeeps over and over while the Jeep brand degenerates into pointlessness. Of course, there will be fools that actually buy this steaming pile of corporate mandate, which will make Jeep executives think they are so smart for offering it, which will make them offer more of this rubbish and pretty soon the whole world will decend into chaos. Okay, ignore that last sentence. The Patriot doesn't look bad though. Lets hope they throw some off-road prowness under that pretty package, lest people start to think Jeeps are just for yuppies.  http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons//AH-HA_wink.gif

[post="10266"][/post]

Isn't the whole idea of these vehicles to expand Jeep's market reach? I'm assuming that even those who do not believe these are 'true' Jeeps may have a need for a different type of vehicle in everyday use. Why not keep them at the local Jeep store while they're at it? I have a feeling alot of Jeeps have been traded in down at the local japanese import store on an RX300, a Murano, a Highlander, Tribute, whatever...why shouldn't Jeep have a shot at these people too?

There's no such thing as a 1961 Jeepster-it was made from 1948-51 (really the 51's were retitled 1950 models I think), and 1967-73 in the Commando line. I love that cream color though.

I don't  have a problem with Jeep trying to expand it's market reach, I just think they are trying to expand it in the wrong direction. I could see them expanding their reach with such things as Ram based SUV's and pick-ups (J10 anyone?), or by offering a some small to mid sized cross-overs. There's more to a Jeep than a seven slot grill. A person who buys a Jeep has the reasonable expectation that their vehicle will have some degree of off-road ability. It's what makes a Jeep a Jeep. If you take that away you've just shot their whole image to hell and the brand means nothing. Imagine if Ferrari started making Vibe-like vehicles. Their image would be dilluted and no one would really want one. The same goes for Jeep.

Jeep was never meant to be a full line brand. If DCX lets Jeep stick with what it knows best, they'll be just fine. If they start messing with a hard earned image they will definitely be in trouble.

[post="10722"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Aren't they doing exactly what you suggest???

I've heard the Gladiator, in some form, has been greenlighted...and I'll assume that non-SRT versions of the Patriot and Compass will have some off-road ability. I don't think having a couple of soft roaders will hurt...didn't the same argument about dilution of brand get BMW into bed with Rover (and look what that got them)...even Porsche has an SUV now and is developing a sedan!

I agree with your feelings about Ferrari, but I don't think Jeep has the same stellar image as an SUV maker that Ferrari has as a performance brand-apples to oranges.

Jeep will never be a full line-up...sedans and coupes and economy cars will never be in a Jeep showroom (unless its pared with Chrysler or Dodge, of course!)

I don't  have a problem with Jeep trying to expand it's market reach, I just think they are trying to expand it in the wrong direction. I could see them expanding their reach with such things as Ram based SUV's and pick-ups (J10 anyone?), or by offering a some small to mid sized cross-overs. There's more to a Jeep than a seven slot grill. A person who buys a Jeep has the reasonable expectation that their vehicle will have some degree of off-road ability. It's what makes a Jeep a Jeep. If you take that away you've just shot their whole image to hell and the brand means nothing. Imagine if Ferrari started making Vibe-like vehicles. Their image would be dilluted and no one would really want one. The same goes for Jeep.

Jeep was never meant to be a full line brand. If DCX lets Jeep stick with what it knows best, they'll be just fine. If they start messing with a hard earned image they will definitely be in trouble.

[post="10722"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I totally agree. And they should start deleting rear-drive too-and make Patriot a Chrysler or Dodge, same with Compass-I'd call them, Compass in particular, Eagles were that still around, and delete front-drive availability.

The days of cheap oil are over, and I see nothing wrong with the Patriot and Compass. Jeep can't rely on Hemi powered Grand Cherokees, and even V6 Libertys aren't very fuel efficient. You young guys are going to see the same things happen to the auto industry that some of us saw 25 to 30 years ago.

The days of cheap oil are over, and I see nothing wrong with the Patriot and Compass.  Jeep can't rely on Hemi powered Grand Cherokees, and even V6 Libertys aren't very fuel efficient.  You young guys are going to see the same things happen to the auto industry that some of us saw 25 to 30 years ago.

[post="10753"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That sucks. It took FOREVER to get HP/engine size back up after the 70s/80s

The days of cheap oil are over, and I see nothing wrong with the Patriot and Compass.  Jeep can't rely on Hemi powered Grand Cherokees, and even V6 Libertys aren't very fuel efficient.  You young guys are going to see the same things happen to the auto industry that some of us saw 25 to 30 years ago.

[post="10753"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

While you're 100% correct, there's nothing that would prevent Jeep from explointing all of DCX's resources to get Diesels, hybrids and 6/7 speed trannys, so performance and economy are not mutually exclusive.

I think too many people on this board are stuck in the mindset of a different era...DCX, GM & Ford are facing a host of problems and, unlike other timeperiods, they do not have the bottomless well of resources to correct all of them.

Would a new Camaro, an exclusively trail-rated Jeep line-up or a world-class Lincoln be awesome? Absolutely...

...However, the reality is that GM didn't think enough of the Camaro to continue it. (& they contractually obligated themselves to building it in Canada or not at all)...The Jeep Liberty is a 4000lb. compact truck due to safety regs and the burden of being 'trail rated' and Lincoln's future was mortgaged to save and then resave Jaguar, LR and AM...hindsight being 20/20, its easy to criticize all of these moves, but here we are.

If a soft-roader Jeep really bothers you that much, you're just not a real car nut...if these co's don't survive, our choices get narrowed and you'll all be driving Toyota's next snooze mobile...so lighten up on DCX.

Unlike Ferrari, Jeep is a volume player. If they got $150K + for every Jeep, then yeah, I think they should be all badass off-roaders.......but the reality of it is that Jeep needs to sell a whole bunch of $20-40K vehicles to just stay busy......and only so many people want/need a trail rated off-roader. The reason why I could care less about the soft-roaders and AWD ralley-like vehicles, is because Jeep will still have all of their Trail Rated vehicles, if you want one. And if sales of these soft-roaders help keep Jeep in the black, then we will get to see even more badass off-roaders. Jeep has been a curse for whoever has owned it, just for the fact that all of its vehicles were required to be fully capable off-road machines. You can only sell so many of those. Congrats to DCX for breaking that rule......and maybe even the curse!