Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

So who buys GM should they collapse?

Toyota, DaimlerChrysler, and Nissan-Renault are the only auto companies with enough money to buy a faltering GM. VW is about broke, Ford is in the red, BMW and Honda are too small. Here's my prediction...DCX. Zetsche takes over the helm...merges Mercedes, Chrysler and GM into a global juggernaut and moves the company headquarters to Detroit, so as to appease Americans. They'll probably get rid of some overlapping brands for N.A. GM has too many valuable assets around the world like Holden, Daewoo, Chevrolet, and Cadillac, and Opel. It's the largest automaker in China. GM will never disappear. Before they would go into a bankruptcy, I think the GM brass will try to get with another company.

Here's my prediction...DCX.  Zetsche takes over the helm...merges Mercedes, Chrysler and GM into a global juggernaut and moves the company headquarters to Detroit, so as to appease Americans.

[post="43738"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

A A A A HELLO?????

There were many Car companies that had there HQ in Detriot. They are all doing poorly Hudson Motor company gone DCX bought out Ford Dieing Fast GM is the only one that is good as far as im concerned. The reason Why Delphi went was not meds or pentions it was the foriegn market Delphi supplies to every one. But if they sell a part at $5 dollars and some china Mexican company says we can make that for $2 Thats what Happened Get the media out of your head.

Well... hate to say this, but probably Toyota if it happens. And if it does, I hope Toyota sells Pontiac to Honda or even Nissan as Toyota would probably just kill it or ruin it. One or the other. But it's not like GM is doing all that great of a job either...

[post="43767"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If they do, then there is not going to be much change. It will remain GM, same cars, just more joint ventures. Or what they will do is change the name. And they will change the UAW contracts, or abolish it altogether (the UAW at the GM plants). The name could change to GM-Toyota, or something or a rather. I don't know. They will have to restructure the brands. They will keep Pontiac, Chevy of course, Buick and Cadillac. They will get rid of floater models like the Renevous, and cut down on the GMT-360's, leaving it only upto GMC to market them. Who knows. All I know is bankruptcy is inevidable for the General. And I think Toyota has been keeping an eye on them for a while.

I'm not sure Toyota would buy them cause Toyota wouldn't need GM. They don't like buying companies either. Plus, I think Toyota would be gun shy due to the political ramifications of a Japanese company buying GM. Ghosn and Zetsche are very ambitious and have huge egos. They would both love to be the head of the largest car company in the world, so I could see them jumping for it. But since Ghosn is French, that might not be a good thing. Zetsche is the only bitter pill that could be swallowed. But I believe they would move DCX-GM to Detroit so that it would still 'technically' be an American company, just with German management. Actually DCX thought about moving their hq's to Michigan after their merger, but Schremp changed his mind about it.

I predict that GM does not declare bankruptcy and just continues struggling and treading water for at least the next 5 to 10 years. Wall Street won't be happy, because it wants GM to declare bankruptcy and shed itself of the pension liabilities, health care costs, and a couple divisions. Hopefully, the GMT900's, the Lambdas, and the Cadillacs generate enough cash to keep things going. Edited by ehaase

I don't think any one company will be big enough to absorb all of GM's legacy costs. I think the carcass will be split up between several different companies. Here is my prediction: Toyota -----> Chevy and Cadillac Honda------->Saturn Nissan------->Pontiac DC----------->Buick HUMMER and GMC -----------------> RIP

Seems like a MORBID thread , I would like to think that big entreprenuers like Trump or Bill Gates could inspire to make GM on top again . There has been no other company in history as SET UP for failure by the combination of Enviromentalist Wackos , anti big business coms , Japanese enemies of the US , corrupt politicians and some of it's own nincompoops that GM had in its employ

No one is going to buy GM, there are too many liabilities and GM isn't going bankruptcy anytime soon either.  If it were up to the media, GM would've been dead decades ago.

[post="44113"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Oh, come on AH-HA... Everyone can see how attractive an almost-bankrupt manufacturer is. Look at all the companies fighting over Mitsubishi! :lol:

Quoting AH-HA, "No one is going to buy GM, there are too many liabilities and GM isn't going bankruptcy anytime soon either. If it were up to the media, GM would've been dead decades ago."

Quoting ehaase, "I predict that GM does not declare bankruptcy and just continues struggling and treading water for at least the next 5 to 10 years. Wall Street won't be happy, because it wants GM to declare bankruptcy and shed itself of the pension liabilities, health care costs, and a couple divisions. Hopefully, the GMT900's, the Lambdas, and the Cadillacs generate enough cash to keep things going."

Those two above posts are, to me, the smartest ones I've seen in this blizzard of bankruptcy / doomsday predictions and death wishes, and are worth repeating!

Lastly, I'll quote from myself, " . . . I suggest that GM do the best it can with the brands it has now. I think if it hangs in there, it will not need to file for bankruptcy. Bankruptcy would be the easy way out. Anybody can start from a clean slate. Let's see GM right itself on its own and be loyal to the brands that helped make GM a major player to begin with."

Isn't that what all GM fans would want?

The only possibilities are Ford and DCX...and a few corporate vultures. NOBODY wants to get involved with the UAW if they don't have to. Ford and DCX are already there. A few non-automotive companies would jump on GM if it were to file for bankruptcy and get MAJOR concessions from the UAW (and pension help), but Toyota wouldn't want it.

You forget Toyota has enough money right now to buy GM wouldn't you think they would have already tried to take it over. Hummer would be kept for a couple years if it were ever to happen.

I'd say Renault-Nissan is the only company that would be interested, if and only if the unlikely occurs and GM files for bankruptcy, in which case I would expect them to liquidate most of the North American manufacturing business and switch to imports. If you're lucky they'll keep Chevrolet and possibly Saturn and switch to imported product, at least initially. But, as has been said, this is highly unlikely. You don't have perfect control in a bankruptcy. Renault-Nissan may make a low-ball offer for the international operations which the courts and creditors decide to accept. GM could wind up a shattered shell whose entire business is pension fund management.

THe best thing going for GM right now.....would be that nobody wants to deal with the UAW. Lets face it. What company from the outside looking in wishes to deal with the Union? For that matter, what company would the Union wish to bargain or deal with? That being said, General Motors has a very healthy, and very secure line up coming towards the end of the dacade. Ala the "Era of Lutz" will be in full stride. I wouldn't worry. And, I think we'll strive to have C&G the "bearer of good news" from now on in the Enthusiast community.

That being said, General Motors has a very healthy, and very secure line up coming towards the end of the dacade

I hate to say this but the way things are unfolding, GM cannot wait another 4 to 5 years for a turnaround. They have at best maybe another two years. If things don't change by then, they are pretty much screwed.

Toyota is a diabolically smart company, they would figure something out.

But Toyota is not known for acquisitions. They've purchased major shares in Daihatsu, Hino, and Fuji Heavy...beyond that, what have they bought? Why would buying any part of GM's manufacturing or distribution help improve Toyota's situation? I can name ways it will HURT them, but not too many ways it'll help.

Unfortunately, the most realistic scenario for GM will be a non-auto conglomerate that buys its assets after bankruptcy...the liabilities GM currently faces are too great for another auto co. to saddle itself with. Rumor has it that GMAC is worth about $15billion and they have $19billion in cash....at the current share price, a coprporate raider could, hypothetically, leave the car-making operations to rot, pocket the cash and sell GMAC, making a handsome sum of money and allowing the rest of the co. to drift into bankruptcy, thus enabling other auto makers to pick up the pieces at a bargain basement price... Not good. echoes of the British car industry....

ME? I could re-open the factories and call it "YOU BUILD IT". Like "Build a Bear" or "U-Store IT". I'd keep like ten former plant managers (who won't be able to get a job anyway) and have them give a quick lesson to people how to run the machinery (safety first of 'course). They simply pick out a model and pay 25% above material costs, parts delivery, 1 employee per plant and use of faciltiy then I pocket say 10 to 15%. So bring lot's of friends folks and maybe a machanic for advice....Let me know what you think??????? :rotflmao: