New York: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

000_2011jgc_op.jpg

Despite always being a unibody vehicle, like many body-on-frame SUVs, the Jeep Grand Cherokee has been largely shown the door by a raft of new crossovers that have played to consumers looking for improved on-road performance. Oh, back when the current WK model was new for 2005, then-DaimlerChrysler made a splash with a new double-wishbone suspension that was better able to soak up tarmac imperfections, but some hardcore brand loyalists felt betrayed because the improved ride came at the expense of axle articulation. Not wanting to risk offending brand acolytes with their new 2011 model, Jeep faced a pair of seemingly divergent goals: Improve off-road ability while making the vehicle more attractive to a wider, street-oriented mainstream audience. In other words, as Chrysler's vice-president of design Ralph Gilles put it to us, Jeep's mission was to "put the 'Grand' back in Grand Cherokee."

Let's get this out of the way right now: Both domestic and global auto markets have evolved greatly from the late-Nineties salad days when Jeep once managed to shift 300,000 Grand Cherokees. And while last year the GC sold under a third of that total, it remains a linchpin in the company's operation, particularly as the larger three-row Commander model is not scheduled to receive a replacement. The company's fortunes are incredibly shaky right now, but if it is to survive in any form, products like the GC will still need to be able to shoulder a heavy burden. Does the GC have the muscles for the job? Follow the jump to find out.

002_2011jgc_opt.jpg

Jeep's solution to its two-audience conundrum is the model you see before you, and while it shares lots of familiar cues, in the metal it looks at once far more aggressive than the exiting lantern-eyed WK, and ultimately more crossover-like. While it retains iconography like the seven-slot grille, the new headlamps have a meaner look thanks to a furrowed-brow appearance granted by the new hood. Perhaps the most dramatic departure is the profile view, where a new CUV-like tapering greenhouse takes up residence above a dramatically scalloped bodyside graphic. According to Gilles, the door panel indent is so pronounced that the company says they were "one step away from needing a compound hinge" to pull it off. If that profile looks longer to you, that's because it is – the wheelbase has swelled by four-inches, with that extra space dedicated completely to rear-seat passengers (+ three inches) and cargo room (+ one inch). The rear end is all-new as well, with a cleaner license plate surround and more horizontally oriented tail-lamps that emphasize the Grand Cherokee's wider width. Loyalists take note: Your pass-through rear glass has been retained.

004_2011jgc_opt.jpg

So, this new model has a longer wheelbase and a more refined, crossover-like aesthetic. How exactly is that going to appeal to the mudpluggers in the audience? Well, Jeep has added a bounty of new off-road minded technology, in addition to new powertrains and a stiffened structure.

Starting with the engine choices, the volume model is expected to be the company's new flex-fuel "Phoenix" V6. The variable-valve timing equipped 3.6-liter engine nets 280 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque at 4,800 rpm – a substantial 33% bump in horsepower and an 11% boost in torque over the departing V6. Backed by a carryover five-speed automatic, it is also a more efficient powertrain, with a claimed 11% increase in fuel economy. This new six-cylinder is scheduled to appear in many more products, potentially showing up in seven or eight different applications. Jeep officials expect the V6 to account for more than 50 percent of Grand Cherokee sales, a big switch over the WK GC, which skews more than 75 percent in favor of the V8.

002_2011jgc_opt.jpg

Speaking of which, the 5.7-liter HEMI V8 has also been worked on, and it now generates 360 hp and 390 lb/ft of torque. Sizable efficiency gains are also expected, as the variable-valve timed engine will also use the company's cylinder deactivation technology (Multi-Displacement System) more often than in previous incarnations, and the gearbox picks up a sixth cog, as well. Regardless of which engine is selected, total range ought to improve, with Jeep quoting over 500 miles for the V6 thanks to the 24.6-gallon fuel tank (four gallons larger than before).

All of that power is nothing without added control, and to that end, Jeep has taken pains to greatly improve torsional stiffness in the chassis, something that both everyday commuters and off-roaders will appreciate. The new structure (based heavily on the Mercedes-Benz ML) has upwards of 5,400 welds, including 53% more spot welds and 42% more arc welds. There's also a further 38% increase in structural adhesive use. The net-net is a chassis that's 146% stiffer – one that Jeep says bests the Toyota Highlander and BMW X5 for rigidity and allows for a maximum tow rating of 7,400 pounds.

So... what about that off-road hardware we talked about? During our private walkaround at Chrysler's Auburn Hills headquarters, Scott Kunselman, vice president of Chrysler's Jeep and truck product team was clearly excited to tell us about all of the new off-road gubbins that the company has managed to pack into this new model.

While lower-end models make do with a standard steel springs, there is an all-new Quadra Lift air suspension option that allows the driver to dial up ground clearance of up to 11.1 inches to crawl over boulders and downed tree branches. It's exactly the sort of equipment that helps increase the GC's breakover angle despite having a longer wheelbase (a full complement of skid plates is optional). That air suspension can also be lowered to parking height for easier ingress and egress, and if it's anything like Land Rover's air suspension setup, it figures to offer a more accommodating ride in the bargain.

Another bit of tech that reminds us of those boys from Solihull is Jeep's new Selec-Terrain system, a rotary controller that comes with models spec'd out with the top-shelf Quadra-Drive II 4x4 system. Selec-Terrain enables users to gird the vehicle's various systems (electronic limited-slip differential, traction control, stability control, two-speed hill-descent control, anti-lock, and so on) for various ground conditions, including Sand/Mud, Snow and Rocks. There is also a default automatic setting, and unlike the blokes at Land Rover, there is also a Sport mode that lowers ride height and allows for a bit more hooliganism before the electronic nannies kick in.

005_2011jgc_opt.jpg

Predictably, there are more available creature comforts than ever before, including a much-improved interior with additional space, richer materials, tighter panel gaps, and more available toys. Some of the optional niceties include a mammoth twin-panel panoramic roof, an intelligent remote start (which automatically heats or cools the interior based on outside air temp), a collision warning system, adaptive cruise control, and a blind-spot/rear cross path detection system.

On the surface, at least, it looks like Jeep has managed an unlikely feat at the most crucial of junctures – it has seemingly imbued the Grand Cherokee with the credentials necessary to simultaneously court a wider roadgoing audience while giving it the goods to finish the job off road. That Chrysler has given this vehicle a 2011 model year designation while others are still introducing their 2010 lineup is not an error – the embattled automaker needs all the hits it can get right now as it seeks further government relief and help from Fiat. Wheeling out the GC well in advance of its debut in showrooms should only help the company build its case for eventual viability... and that thankless task will clearly be the 2011 Grand Cherokee's biggest obstacle to overcome.

Autoblog

Looks like they've done a nice job with the interior; it doesn't look the same as something out of a plain jane Avenger, or Charger.

But I actually think the current Grand Cherokee looks better, especially when lowered with nice wheels. I'll bet the SRT guys will prove me wrong when their edition rolls out, though. :P

I think the exterior is very nicely done. Lots of attention to detail and how lines flow and interact with each other. It's a much more refined package than any before it.

The interior...builds on the design them of the current one but with better integration and it actually looks nice...not cheap.

Won't ague that it's similar, although I think it looks better on the GC.

However the only thing that made the Trailhawk's greenhouse stand out was the really wide C-Pillar and the really thin windows. Oh and no B-PILLARZ :spin:

jeep-trailhawk.jpg

Plus IMO the whole design was kind of overwrought.

When I first saw the pics, I thought it was based on the Journey. Guess not. This looks to be a very nice vehicle, but I'm not sure the "Grand Cherokee" name has enough cachet to go with the tech, features, and likely, price. It seems like very much a luxury vehicle with pricey engineering to boot.

The interior is much improved, though they went overboard with rounding out squares into squircles. Driver's footwell still looks narrow.

I fear this might be too over-engineered for its own good. Consumers will treat it like just another Murano or Highlander competitor.

Edited by empowah

Jeep Journey is not what they needed.

I guess they figured to go after the high end consumers they had to replicate some of the high end design cues. modeling after lexus with the soft surface elements was a poor choice: the more rounded effect the metal on the doors is making is perhaps more refined looking, but in the end you lost all the trademark Jeepness and rugged character. how does the tahoe still pull off ruggedly handsome and upscale at the same time? through details but keeping butch character throughout the lines. this has lost inherent Jeep character. Jeeps are square and antiquated, that's a good thing. the trailhawk adds aggressiveness to modernize the jeep wagon, and it would have served them better to stand out more.

Nope, I like the new one a lot better. It looks like an evolution of the second gen GC, which was my favorite until now.

used-2002-jeep-grand_cherokee-limited-80

not trying to pick on you, but you're paying too much attention to the headlamps and hood to make a visual connection. look over the form the roofline makes at the rear and you'll notice a very Jeep characteristic trait, the squared off greenhouse, has been lost. the entire jeep rugged look has been lost, and doane is right, there's too much journey, ie generic crossover, to the greenhouse.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but while the rest of the Jeep lineup has moved towards boxy styling, the Grand Cherokee has always meant to stand for a more refined Jeep than the rest. That's since the the second gen it has moved away from the ultra boxy character of the Commander, new Liberty, and Patriot.

Also, what you're saying is subjective, because apparently others (Autoblog) think "in the metal it looks at once far more aggressive than the exiting lantern-eyed WK".

I don't know if I feel it's aggressive or not, but as a package it looks much more refined and upscale and better looking, befitting it's flagship status.

Also, I have to ask what makes the greenhouse "generic" If you black out the pillars of the current gen you have essentially the same thing, although with less rake. So is it the blacked out pillars? I guess that makes the X5 generic too then.

this is the GC i feel endures most and really represents classic Jeep character. rugged simple clean handsome, up for a ride through the rockies as well as welcome at the country club. unmistakable solidarity

98_jeep_grand_cherokee_ltd.jpg

this GC generation is my second favorite

notice additional refining of previous gen's lines

Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-03_1024.jpg

this is the GC i feel endures most and really represents classic Jeep character. rugged simple clean handsome, up for a ride through the rockies as well as welcome at the country club. unmistakable solidarity

98_jeep_grand_cherokee_ltd.jpg

this GC generation is my second favorite

notice additional refining of previous gen's lines

Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-03_1024.jpg

Funny thing is the first gen is my least favorite.

Looking past the design, the powertrains look to be very nice...finally the Phoenix V6 series.... 280 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque at 4,800 rpm with a five-speed automatic. The V* is now 360 hp and 390 lb/ft of torque with a 6-speed automatic...I think this is the first RWD vehicle to get 6 gears.

The Offroad hardware, what really makes a Jeep, looks impressive too.

Jeep Journey is not what they needed.

yeah, it has a lot of the same bland Korean ness. The Terrain is now the macho king.

actually this vehicle is nicely redone, but inside and outside, its been stripped of personality. The average car buyer cannot tell this a Jeep from first glance. The front, in particular, where a vehicle of this status needs to make an immediate and unmistakable impression, fails in its unimaginative blandness.

Side and rear is an improvement over the front at least but hints a bit at imitating the X5.

The Phoenix engine, its about time. why only a 5 speed?

I have no doubt this is a solid product but it really lacks panache.

Edited by regfootball

I like the interior, with those seemingly universal center vents that amount to wings off the center stack, like GM's new universal interior treatment. The exterior has permanently been placed in my mind as too much of a twin to the Journey, in the greenhouse and tail treatment. All that technology: is it what Jeep buyers want? Or are they trying to court the non-Jeep crowd? It will be an expensive vehicle, no doubt.

I just don't see this thread going for 9 pages as the Terrain thread has done.

I like it a lot...much improved over the 3rd gen, IMHO...the grille and headlights are nicely evolved from the 2nd gen. (the headlights were my least favorite styling detail of the 3rd gen). The exterior is nice and clean, looking forward to seeing how it looks in a dark color, though. The taillights are a departure from previous vertical designs, but clean. I see a bit of ML in the C-pillar (family resembalance?). I really like the interior...looks much improved over the cheap 3rd gen interior, looks like a great place to spend time. Looking forward to seeing it in person....

This could make a nice replacement for my 2nd gen GC...could be an ideal commuter car for me when I'm back full time in the Denver area.

QuadraLift and QuadraDriveII sound very interesting...

Edited by moltar

yeah, it has a lot of the same bland Korean ness. The Terrain is now the macho king.

'Macho king'? Hardly...the Terrain has faux-macho styling, but underneath, it is lowest-common denominator, FWD generic--hardly 'Professional Grade'. The weak sauce.

Bah! Do not heed the naysayers!

This is the best looking, sharpest Grand Cherokee yet.

Proof that Chrysler can still deliver on the product even when GM falters.

The Terrain is not even close to the capabilities of what this can do, but then again, Jeeps are meant to go off roading, the pussy footing nasty Compass and Patriot not withstanding. Hate to say it, but this is a gorgeous, modern vehicle. It is distinctive, attractive, and far more luxurious than its forebear.

THIS is truly a replacement for the second generation, not the odd quad-dipped lamped version currently on sale.

Jeep. There's Only One.

Bah! Do not heed the naysayers!

This is the best looking, sharpest Grand Cherokee yet.

Proof that Chrysler can still deliver on the product even when GM falters.

The Terrain is not even close to the capabilities of what this can do, but then again, Jeeps are meant to go off roading, the pussy footing nasty Compass and Patriot not withstanding. Hate to say it, but this is a gorgeous, modern vehicle. It is distinctive, attractive, and far more luxurious than its forebear.

Jeep. There's Only One.

Yah, I could definitely see replacing my '00 GC with an '11 or '12. And I do take my Jeep offroad, so I would take advantage of it's capabilities.

'Macho king'? Hardly...the Terrain has faux-macho styling, but underneath, it is lowest-common denominator, FWD generic--hardly 'Professional Grade'. The weak sauce.

yeah and it's also several thousand cheaper. and the fwd based crossovers are much more popular with the market. i don't see the GC getting 30mpg rating on the highway. urban legend about GC's is that they rarely exceed mid teens in fuel economy.

Maybe you didn't notice reg, but the Grand Cherokee doesn't exactly compete in the cheap small crossover segment....so it's not going to sell in those kind of numbers. It has always been priced as a premium vehicle, only now it appears to have the quality, refinement, and technology befitting of the price.

yeah and it's also several thousand cheaper. and the fwd based crossovers are much more popular with the market. i don't see the GC getting 30mpg rating on the highway. urban legend about GC's is that they rarely exceed mid teens in fuel economy.

With the 6, my '00 never gets more than 18-19mpg.. The FWD CUVs are really in a different market niche than the GC is in.

Maybe you didn't notice reg, but the Grand Cherokee doesn't exactly compete in the cheap small crossover segment....so it's not going to sell in those kind of numbers. It has always been priced as a premium vehicle, only now it appears to have the quality, refinement, and technology befitting of the price.

you admit that it didn't before?

Edited by regfootball

The GC occupies an interesting niche in the market..it's always had real off-road SUV cred, definitely not in the same league as FWD CUV posers. But it's also got the entry-lux angle also, a step above mainstream family trucksters like the Explorer and the late GMT360s.

It's kind of in a niche by itself, with the Jeep brand history and name and some of the luxury aspects of the premium luxury RWD/AWD SUVs (Land Rovers/Range Rovers, BMW X5, Merc ML) but at a lower price..

Edited by moltar

The GC occupies an interesting niche in the market..it's always had real off-road SUV cred, definitely not in the same league as FWD CUV posers. But it's also got the entry-lux angle also, a step above mainstream family trucksters like the Explorer and the late GMT360s.

It's kind of in a niche by itself, with the Jeep brand history and name and some of the luxury aspects of the premium luxury RWD/AWD SUVs (Land Rovers/Range Rovers, BMW X5, Merc ML) but at a lower price..

Exactly.

With the 6, my '00 never gets more than 18-19mpg.. The FWD CUVs are really in a different market niche than the GC is in.

i was merely intimating that you can't make a put down on the terrains lighter build when the benefit to it is an affordable price tag and far superior fuel economy.....which, in a tough economy, is why the new GC may not do well and why the Terrain may be very popular.

especially since the GC looks more korean than anything else.

Edited by regfootball

i was merely intimating that you can't make a put down on the terrains lighter build when the benefit to it is an affordable price tag and far superior fuel economy.....which, in a tough economy, is why the new GC may not do well and why the Terrain may be very popular.

It was a put down on the fact that it's poser CUV, like most others. Trying to look tough when it has little more capabilities than an AWD wagon.

Again, you can't lump sales of the two together...they compete in completely different segments. The GC will never sell in the same numbers as the Terrain (if they Terrain is successful anyway).

Yes, there is a market for the Terrain. I would never buy a FWD based CUV, but for a lot of buyers, it may be perfectly fine. The GC is for a different market, a different buyer.

Yes, there is a market for the Terrain. I would never buy a FWD based CUV, but for a lot of buyers, it may be perfectly fine. The GC is for a different market, a different buyer.

the GC is the heart of Jeeps lineup i just hope they can sell enough of them the next few years to help. Unfortunately, the heavy duty SUV era is on a bit of life support......

the GC may benefit from the exit of the trailblazer and full frame explorer.

the diehards for those will move up to the tahoes and expeditions.

Edited by regfootball