New York: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee - First Live Shots

000_jeepgc_nyc_opt.jpg

One of the most significant debuts at the 2009 New York Auto Show is undoubtedly the next-generation 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. We've just had the chance to see Jeep's new SUV in person ahead of its official unveiling later today, and we're even more impressed with the design in person than in pictures. The clean styling is a departure for the brand, which has lately adhered a bit too closely to its traditional utilitarian box design language. The Wrangler look doesn't work on every vehicle, and thankfully Jeep has softened the Grand Cherokee just enough to look sophisticated, but not so much that it appears incapable of traversing trails. We'll bring you more on the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee from its formal debut later in the day, but for now you can peruse our new live shots and the official images from Jeep in the galleries below.

Autoblog

001_jeepgc_nyc.jpg

005_jeepgc_nyc.jpg

008_jeepgc_nyc.jpg

007_jeepgc_nyc.jpg

009_jeepgc_nyc.jpg

011_jeepgc_nyc.jpg

This looks like the Jeep version of the Terrain.

Hardly..the Terrain is just a FWD generic underneath, with blocky faux-macho styling. The GC has legit, serious hardware..it's a real SUV, not a lame-ass CUV.

Umm...no.

I'm sorry, but that is one of the dumbest statements I've seen in a while.

I never said they looked alike... both have squared-off wheel wells, big chrome grilles, small windows when compared to the bodies, and look rugged.

Again, if there was a Terrain with Jeep styling, it'd look pretty similar to this.

The interior design looks like it was taken from Lexus. Boring, but decent:

2008_Lexus_LX_570_8.jpg

I never said they looked alike... both have squared-off wheel wells, big chrome grilles, small windows when compared to the bodies, and look rugged.

Again, if there was a Terrain with Jeep styling, it'd look pretty similar to this.

The interior design looks like it was taken from Lexus. Boring, but decent:

2008_Lexus_LX_570_8.jpg

Or rather the Terrain is a GMC styled Jeep. The squared wheel arches are a Jeep trademark.

154_0709_03_z%201963_jeep_wagoneer_4x4%2

2001_cherokee_history.jpg

98_jeep_wrangler_sahara.jpg

1994_jeep_grand_cherokee.jpg

2008-jeep-liberty.jpg

And so on and so forth.

--

Interior design...yeah it does look sort of like the Lexus (not bad thing) but also an evolution of the current one.

06srt8_10.jpg

Only a hell of a lot better.

the live shots emphasize surface elements more, it looks better here. it's gonna look 40% more sophisticated than Terrain parked next to it, but that doesn't make terrain automatically ugly.....thing is with all the sophistication it's moved so much closer to what everyone else [GM aside] looks like.

Neat, I was reading n Insideline...the wood is real. No more plood.

jeep-int1-950.jpg

I really like this interior color scheme... I'd want one with that color scheme w/ the wood.

Edited by moltar

I dunno about old school...the only other car I recall with that color seats is the new RL...could be wrong though.

Kinda really old school... like some 30s and 40s cars, maybe? One color scheme I really like is black w/ the baseball glove color leather than Audi and BMW has done..

The interior still gives me a very Korean vibe for some reason. Something about the lashings of silver plastic on the center stack and console.

x2

its like you could expect this to show up in a sorrento or borrego or veracruz, but maybe thats what they want

all very odd to me considering i like the commander's interior. THAT says Jeep.

i think that maybe had they simply made more drama and butchness in the center stack and console it would be ok overall. this is a jeep for cryin out louds and there are no grab handles on the dash or console. there is nothing about the dash or door panels that signifies ruggedness.

it's almost like nardelli himself styled the interior with a corporate memo.

at least give kudos for material quality.

Edited by regfootball

Kinda really old school... like some 30s and 40s cars, maybe? One color scheme I really like is black w/ the baseball glove color leather than Audi and BMW has done..

Could be, I just don't know off the top of my head.

The interior still gives me a very Korean vibe for some reason. Something about the lashings of silver plastic on the center stack and console.

Silver you say?

enclosure.jpg

Although I dunno if that's plastic or metal.

Silver you say?

enclosure.jpg

Although I dunno if that's plastic or metal.

Aren't alot of manufacturers doing this with silver plastic? It must be the new thing to do.....not just the Korean thing to do:

Lincoln MKX

07_MKX_CUV_09_HR_1.jpg

Aren't alot of manufacturers doing this with silver plastic? It must be the new thing to do.....not just the Korean thing to do:

Yeah, the faux aluminum look has been around for a while, from many automakers.

This Grand Cherokee is awesome looking! Closest step yet I'd say to an American Land Rover!

Only more reliable than a Land Rover. :lol:

Of course! The most important aspect in defense of our American vehicles. Better reliability than the supposedly infallible Euro brands!