Subaru Unveils Refreshed 2010 Legacy

000_legacy_nyc_opt.jpg

The New York Auto Show is the backdrop for the 2010 Subaru Legacy's unveiling, and we just checked it out on the display stand downstairs here at the Jacob Javits Center. The red car you see in the gallery below is a Legacy 2.5 GT equipped with the six-speed manual gearbox, while the dark gray car above is a PZEV-certified base model. The new Legacy is clearly a step up from the car it replaces. It's taller, longer and wider, which makes for more room inside than the old car, which in turn makes for a more compelling rival to the cavernous Accord. The interior's trimmed out with decent plastics, a thick-rimmed wheel, a relatively uncluttered center stack (as opposed to the Accord's loaded Scrabble board) and nice leather seats. The mere presence of that manual shifter makes it all the more welcoming. (Man, if only you could get this trim and setup in a wagon...) Outside, the new Legacy's got a new, distinctive front end with big eyes and that familiar corporate grille. The 2.5 GT's hood scoop jazzes things up a little, too. In profile, the 2010 Legacy is inoffensive and will blend into the family-sedan crowd nicely. The rear end features large taillamps and, in the case of the 2.5GT, dual exhaust outlets. Open the trunk and you'll find a nice, large opening with thoughtfully-placed release handles for the rear seats (no need to drop them from inside the passenger compartment, which is a nice touch.) In all, the 2010 Subaru Legacy's restyling is far less controversial than the one underwent recently by the Impreza, though we're still going to miss the outgoing car's clean, handsome lines. That said, the new car is better-positioned to do battle in this hugely-competitive segment, and we expect that Subaru is eager to throw its hat in the ring against the Accord and Camry.

Autoblog

Odd looking car, seems to be a mix and match of styling cues from other cars... at least they abandoned the wierd Saab-retro grille from a couple years ago.

Edited by moltar

Who would have thought in a million years the Chrysler Sebring would inspire ANYONE to copy its front end? Those headlights make me think immediately of the maligned Chrysler sedan.

I wonder who came up with the wraparound angry headlights first? Was it the Sebring? If so than it makes that ugly car a trendsetter. :o

What the hell is wrong with Subaru? It seems like their goal is to make each model more bizarre looking and ugly with each refresh. I don't get it. I really like the '05 - '07 Legacy and Outback even though they are conservatively styled. Then they made some minor styling changes in '08 uglied it up a bit and now this abomination. :nono:

And is it just me or are the rims that are on the red car almost identical to those on my Aura XR?

Edited by 2QuickZ's

It was a very tall order to better that of the current design Legacy/Outback. I just had no idea that they would screw it up this badly. It looks frumpy. Is the entire Subaru lineup going to be frumpy, or is there a bright spot coming soon.

It brings to mind the old addage about Subaru....Ugly, and built to stay that way. The only reason Subarus sell is for the 4wd, not the looks, sort of like Toyotas - not for the looks, but the perceived quality superiority.

New Englanders will buy them, no doubt, and park it next to their Prius.

I see Subaru's finally come to their senses. The previous generation, however easy on the eyes it was, was the biggest mistake. It raised people's expectations for them. I'm sure its designers were severely chastized (possibly even fired) for penning such a comely design. This just brings the Legacy back to where it should be. I really don't like it either, but it was not made for people like us.

And for the record, I thought Subaru's Edsel-grille was brilliant, and I was deeply disappointed when they gave into the backlash and scrapped it. It could've brought some nice family identity to their line.

and the US has too many brands?

sx4 side windows

acura fender flares

small bit of galant in the c pillar

uninspired elsewhere

if GM put out a vehicle that looked like this we would never hear the end of it

But the asians are superior.... So we dare not ask them (or beg them, in the case of the media vs. Detroit) to phase out divisions.

Not to mention, Japan, a country that IS superior to america, is way too smart to ever let its core industries fail. (unlike americant)

As for the car... Well, I see some old Malibu/G6 in the nose... A lot of Accord in the nose.... Some Stratus in the profile...

But, it's a Subaru so it's the MOSTEST GREENEST car producer EVAR!!!, so it'll sell well. (And I'm not even counting in their ties to god (you know, TOYOTA) or their BIGGEST market's brand loyalty (yep, lesbians are a loyal bunch))

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM