Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Satty

Ford recall: Gas tanks could fall loose

16 posts in this topic

Vehicles involved include flagship Ford Five Hundred sedan, Freestyle wagon, Mercury Montego.

DETROIT (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co. said Wednesday it is recalling more than 225,000 vehicles in the United States and Canada, including its flagship Ford Five Hundred sedan and Freestyle wagon, because of fire risks.

Vehicles involved in the recall are from the 2005 model year and include the Crown Victoria, Lincoln Town Car, Mercury Grand Marquis and Montego sedans, Ford spokeswoman Kristen Kinley said.

Ford is recalling 127,493 Ford Five Hundred and Mercury Montego sedans and Freestyle wagons because the straps that secure the fuel tank to the vehicle body may break, causing the fuel tank and fuel tank heat shield to drop onto the driveshaft or exhaust system, the automaker and U.S. safety regulators said.

This could cause a fuel leak and result in a fire in these vehicles, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The automaker is recalling 98,444 Crown Victoria, Lincoln Town Car and Mercury Grand Marquis sedans because on certain vehicles, the battery cable may scrape on an attaching bolt and could lead to a fire.

The recall comes as Ford is trying to stem steep losses in its North American division and to improve the overall quality of its products. It also follows a high-profile recall of some of its best-selling pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles.

Ford recalled nearly 4 million vehicles in September because of the risk of engine fires.

Source

I'd like to state for the record that issues such as this one are why hydrogen fuel cells will probably never make it to the market en masse...

GM recalls 225,000 Fuel Cell Vehicles

In another frustrating event, GM has recalled 160,000 Pontiac G8s, 40,000 Buick Invictas and 25,000 Cadillac ETC hydrogen fuel cell vehicles. The fuel lines in these vehicles have been reported to come loose, causing massive explosions, usually killing all passengers.

There have been 8 reported cases, with 17 fatalities and 2 left critically wounded.

So, until gasoline automobile errors such as the one listed for Ford are resolved permanently, there may never be a successful mass market fuel cell vehicle.

Crap. Not good PR for Ford's new releases...I bet this one will make the rounds as usual.

I'd like to state for the record that issues such as this one are why hydrogen fuel cells will probably never make it to the market en masse...

GM recalls 225,000 Fuel Cell Vehicles

In another frustrating event, GM has recalled 160,000 Pontiac G8s, 40,000 Buick Invictas and 25,000 Cadillac ETC hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.  The fuel lines in  these vehicles have been reported to come loose, causing massive explosions, usually killing all passengers.

There have been 8 reported cases, with 17 fatalities and 2 left critically wounded.

So, until gasoline automobile errors such as the one listed for Ford are resolved permanently, there may never be a successful mass market fuel cell vehicle.

[post="43892"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I know what you're trying to say man, but "fuel lines" shouldn't be a concern.

They will keep the hydrogen much closer to the engine than the fuel tank on cars currently is. Since hydrogen is so compressible, the tank can be smaller and therefore not necessarily in the rear of the car.

Crap.  Not good PR for Ford's new releases...I bet this one will make the rounds as usual.

[post="43903"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

As it should.

As it should.

[post="43986"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Definately. There should be no escuses for this one.

i guess i'll make sure i keep some hot dogs in the cooler with me at all times then. oops, mine's a 2006. "how would you like your dog?" CRISPY..MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Edited by regfootball

After reading another article, it turns out this is a supplier issue...apparently the supplier switched the grade of steel for the strap in December 2004 without telling Ford.

The automaker discovered the problem during durability testing of a future model of the Five Hundred at very high mileage.

The company's investigation found that the manufacturer of the strap changed to a weaker grade of steel in December 2004 that could not meet Ford's durability requirements. Ford declined to disclose the supplier's identity.

Well I talked to my dad, he was one of the team of guys changing straps on the trio. From what he told me the supplier changed the material of the straps without saying anything about it. They ended up changing around 4500 cars straps at the factory. There were fewer than that off the line that got out before it was noticed, it wasnt anywhere near 200,000 but to be safe I guess they all have to be recalled in that time frame. This was earlier this summer when all this went down. Strangely enough the 4wd cars straps are far easier to change than the 2wd, I would have thought it to be the other way around.

Another thing the above article fails to mention, is that Ford discovered this themselves............. in their long term test vehicle. There has not been one problem, or complaint from a customer, as the problem did not show up until well past 100K miles. Thus, it was a very proactive recall. I would think they should be commended for this. However, based on the article above, it is quite obvious that they will be slammed instead.

This is the type of problem that enforces my reasoning that people should stay far away from Ford products. Still waiting for the massive Mustang recall. :AH-HA_wink:

From what I have learned about hydorgen fuel cell cars and vehicles, the fuel lines can be up to 20,000 PSI, which means that even if there is a puncture in the lines, it can cut through metal, and body parts.... its not something that is safe enough for everyday use.

in case you didn't read the earlier posts.... this is a supplier who deceitfully built something out of spec. its not a ford mistake.

From what I have learned about hydorgen fuel cell cars and vehicles, the fuel lines can be up to 20,000 PSI, which means that even if there is a puncture in the lines, it can cut through metal, and body parts.... its not something that is safe enough for everyday use.

[post="44780"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Self... destruct... boof!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room