Nothing stimulates me to (not) spend money to stimulate the economy...

That could have almost bought me wheels for my car...or better yet gone towards the engine...or paid car insurance...or bough me a NAV system...all of which would have stimulated the economy in some way...not to mention my own enjoyment. Or just saved it.

...and on that note, I'm going to find a middle finger emote and add it to the emotion legend.

Or even MORE maddening : it may go toward paying lifetime full salaries & 100% healthcare to congressmen no longer in office ... maybe buy a bag of engraved golf tees. :nono:

-- -- -- -- --

My finances are OK, I always live within my means, but I run an extremely tight financial ship.

Was just dreaming yesterday of buying 6 new tires for the '40- they're about $150/per, but it doesn't 'feel' right, right now... :(

Yeah, I do what I can to not spend much. Sometimes I break down and buy something I actually want rather than just paying bills endlessly...but I refuse to get a credit card. Student loans are enough debt thank you very much.

I also hunt for deals for the things I want...like leather seats for $120 plus stuff I can (and still need to) sell.

My finances are OK, I always live within my means, but I run an extremely tight financial ship.

Was just dreaming yesterday of buying 6 new tires for the '40- they're about $150/per, but it doesn't 'feel' right, right now... :(

I know how you feel; I run a tight ship as well. I have virtually no debt of my own, live within my means, and make a weekly contribution to my savings account, but I still don't feel right spending any money I don't absolutely have to. Last week, the exhaust on the Burb broke almost in half along a small rot hole I should have addressed last fall. I briefly toyed with the idea of just having it redone from front to back for about $350, no big deal, but in the end I ended up just buying an off the rack pipe from NAPA and clamping it in for about $40. Good as new.

I know how you feel; I run a tight ship as well. I have virtually no debt of my own, live within my means, and make a weekly contribution to my savings account, but I still don't feel right spending any money I don't absolutely have to. Last week, the exhaust on the Burb broke almost in half along a small rot hole I should have addressed last fall. I briefly toyed with the idea of just having it redone from front to back for about $350, no big deal, but in the end I ended up just buying an off the rack pipe from NAPA and clamping it in for about $40. Good as new.

Glad to know I'm not the only "cheapskate" around here. Live within your means today, live better tomorrow.

I haven't lived within my means before, but I am starting to now. I sold my Passat, Mazda, and Grand Prix, and now I'm down to just my GTO. I considered selling it for the right price, but I've since decided against that. I can't part with it. I have more debt than I should, but I'm basically restructuring it to lower my payments, while still getting cash out which will be used to purchase a business, and/or invest more in stocks. Simply putting money in a savings account that will give me .5% annual returns is not my way to live.

I won't buy anything unless I know I have the actual money for it.

Debt isn't always bad.

I once borrowed $5000 on a credit card, invested in stocks, and a month later, had $6500. I could have paid that credit card back, paid the interest for the month, and had a profit of $1450.

It depends on what you buy with that debt.

Debt isn't always bad.

I once borrowed $5000 on a credit card, invested in stocks, and a month later, had $6500. I could have paid that credit card back, paid the interest for the month, and had a profit of $1450.

It depends on what you buy with that debt.

Ah that's called an investment on margins you capitalist pig.

The downside is if the stock loses money, your now out for what you lost PLUS the debt.

Or even MORE maddening : it may go toward paying lifetime full salaries & 100% healthcare to congressmen no longer in office ... maybe buy a bag of engraved golf tees. :nono:

-- -- -- -- --

and yet Congresspeople and Senators (both sides of the aisle - not going political towards one side or the other)- and Obama are criticizing GM for signing the union contracts that do the same damned thing...hypocrites the lot of 'em!

Ah that's called an investment on margins you capitalist pig.

The downside is if the stock loses money, your now out for what you lost PLUS the debt.

I call it creating money LOL

But I do have a margin account. It helped me get a 110% return this year. I would have only got a 55% return without it.

But yes, I am pure capitalist.

Edited by CaddyXLR-V

I call it creating money LOL

But I do have a margin account. It helped me get a 110% return this year. I would have only got a 55% return without it.

But yes, I am pure capitalist.

Oh trust me i know of how leverage affects returns. It just affects negative returns far more than it affects positive returns. And i am not the risk taker.

Edited by Teh Ricer Civic!

Oh trust me i know of how leverage affects returns. It just affects negative returns far more than it affects positive returns. And i am not the risk taker.

To me, it was only a very slight risk. I am very familiar with the company I invested in. I worked there for 2 1/2 years. I knew their stock was extremely undervalued, and had complete faith in the management of that company.

Edited by CaddyXLR-V

Yeah, I do what I can to not spend much. Sometimes I break down and buy something I actually want rather than just paying bills endlessly...but I refuse to get a credit card. Student loans are enough debt thank you very much.

I also hunt for deals for the things I want...like leather seats for $120 plus stuff I can (and still need to) sell.

It's really not a bad thing to have a credit card as long as you pay it off as soon as you get the bill at the end of the month. That's what I have done, and it has helped me build up a good credit score. I only use mine for emergencies or major purchases or repairs.

------

My dad helped me file taxes a couple months ago, and my jaw dropped (in a good way) when I found out how much I was getting back.

Edited by mustang84

You should see all the credits and refundable credits that the less fortunate people are eligible for. Just don't make so much money & have a lot of kids and the government will cut you a nice check every tax year, oh and be married while you do it.

HA!

We had a real $h!ty year, and we did not get jack this year...a few back for our little guy...

That must be those "honest" folks..... :P

Its kinda funny, if you look closely at the income tax brackets, it is actually negative in the lowest segments (the government pays more than would be refunded just from withholdings) and then steadily progresses up to 35% with reduced credits for people in those categories.

In total, i think only 60-70% of Americans actually end up paying Federal income taxes, the remainder get all their withholding's back.