Sky going to Chevrolet?

Is the Saturn Sky to be a Chevrolet?

2009-Saturn-Sky-car-walls.jpg

From Vince Burlapp's Car Blog:

At least from this, it looks like some people at GM are not ready to kill the Sky yet.

Good news.

I don't care who sells it, I just hope the Sky finds a home after GM kills Saturn.

It would indeed make a great Chevrolet.

Pontiac already has the Solstice, and I really don't see this as a Buick....

Let's hope this is true.

Thanks to a reader for this.

Magic 8 balls says, "Ask again later."

Edited by YellowJacket894

Hasn't there been talk of Kappa getting killed for a while now? If they do make it a Chevy, it'd be nice if they at least did a minor change of the look, though that would kill the synergy of the shared styling with Opel/Daewoo.

Corvette-like rear, front fascia that already mirrors that of the Malibu? Why change anything at all beyond the badge?

Corvette-like rear, front fascia that already mirrors that of the Malibu? Why change anything at all beyond the badge?

Oh, I don't know... maybe because that's the same thing that GM gets ragged on for constantly already? I agree the car looks great, and if it'd started out as a Chevy, it wouldn't need any changes other than the badge, but if it's going to change brands, it ought to be differentiated a little bit. Plus, the car has been out for a few years - a mid-cycle enhancement doesn't seem out of place anyway, and this would be the perfect time & reason to do it.

Oh, I don't know... maybe because that's the same thing that GM gets ragged on for constantly already? I agree the car looks great, and if it'd started out as a Chevy, it wouldn't need any changes other than the badge, but if it's going to change brands, it ought to be differentiated a little bit. Plus, the car has been out for a few years - a mid-cycle enhancement doesn't seem out of place anyway, and this would be the perfect time & reason to do it.

Yeah, but I mean if it goes to Chevrolet, the bar the front logo floats on will go away, and maybe the taillight lenses will be updated. It really doesn't need anything else to look like a baby Vette.

Plus, the car has been out for a few years - a mid-cycle enhancement doesn't seem out of place anyway, and this would be the perfect time & reason to do it.

Exactly what I was thinking. If they're going to bring it over, give it an MCE and it should be fine.

Chevy Nomad ...

Let me dream a little: Diesel (could be the 125hp 1.7L Isuzu engine used by Opel), fairly light weight, and priced some 10% to 20% lower than the MINI Cooper D... then I'd be sold on it! :yes:

EDIT (i.e., back to reality) - www.notgoingtohappen.com

Edited by ZL-1

it'll be an easy conversion. myself, i find the sky to have more attractive features/character, but the solstice is the outright more balanced design [and because of that more enduring, less prone to wear]. less nuances less fuss, pure shape, perfect proportions....

I would love to see this come about.

But is there enough maket to support a Vette and a small fast little 2 seater? As the C6 goes on in age sales will drop year after year it remins.

There have been poeple on the Vette team that have made it clear it is not as easy to get a new C plaform approved as some like to think.

The Fiero was finished off by Chevy. The Fiero had many issues but the final straw was when Chevy pointed out the Fiero plant was well under capacity at the 30K units Pontiac was building. John Schinellia pointed out to us that Chevy was affraid of lost sales of the C4 that could have prevented a C5.

A Sky Redline with a Stage kit would make a great alturnative to a low end Vette roadster.

I have not driven a stage kit yet but will this afternoon when I pick up my SS after mine is installed today. I can only imagine a Sky with 290 HP and 340 FT LBS at less weight of a Vette.

It's the implications of this that bother me.

Could they merge a new Kappa and C7 program under the basics of a Alpha?

The Chevy Sky would carry on with improvments over the present Kappa problems and a 4 cyliner while the Vette carrys the V8. Kind of a modern Sunbeam Alpine/Tiger. Both could share a line and parts in KY.

Add into this mix a small Mini like car with a Nomad theme to cover for the loss of the HHR.

But is there enough maket to support a Vette and a small fast little 2 seater?

IMO, yes. The two cars appeal to some pretty different people, largely due to vette pricing and image. I could maybe see a C7 that is designed to allow for a less expensive entry model, yet without sacrificing the ability to make the top model a true screaming sports car. It's tough, though, to design a platform that can reach both ends of the spectrum well. It also could potentially dilute the Corvette name if the entry model was $25k, when the current entry model is a hair under $50k. IMO, a smaller RWD coupe/vert that spans from sub-$25k to about $40k for an SS, plus the vette spanning from $50k on up is much easier to do, and maintains the image of the vette. I'm guess of course, but I would be surprised if they could (or would want to) make a C7 base start much under $35-40k, which still would not appeal to the same people that the Sky/Solstice does.

Another thought: if they make it a Chevy, they should change the name of course... and with a new name, a targa/coupe wouldn't seem quite so unfitting. :)

Affordable sporty cars may not be the biggest sales hits of any automakers portfolio, but they do provide an image maker of a brand and that can bring in customers for other, less exciting cars in the lineup.

I like the Sky, but I'm afraid of what that means for the Solstice and Pontiac. Now Pontiac will have another clone of a Chevy, and of course Chevy will get a newer version while the Pontiac remains unchanged.

I think that's the implications Camino was referring to also.

Edited by CaddyXLR-V

I would love to see this come about.

But is there enough maket to support a Vette and a small fast little 2 seater? As the C6 goes on in age sales will drop year after year it remins.

There have been poeple on the Vette team that have made it clear it is not as easy to get a new C plaform approved as some like to think.

The Fiero was finished off by Chevy. The Fiero had many issues but the final straw was when Chevy pointed out the Fiero plant was well under capacity at the 30K units Pontiac was building. John Schinellia pointed out to us that Chevy was affraid of lost sales of the C4 that could have prevented a C5.

A Sky Redline with a Stage kit would make a great alturnative to a low end Vette roadster.

I have not driven a stage kit yet but will this afternoon when I pick up my SS after mine is installed today. I can only imagine a Sky with 290 HP and 340 FT LBS at less weight of a Vette.

:scratchchin:

Which brings this thought to mind: What if Chevy inherits the Sky (which I'm still against for a variety of reasons) and ( with pending CAFE regs and their desire to move Corvette upmarket -- see ZR1 and the cancellation of XLR) uses it to occupy the place that the Vette presently occupies. Then a higher classed C7 (midengine of not) could debut later in the decade.

GM has toyed with the idea of a "cheap Vette" since the introduction of the C5... I remember back then it was to be called the "Sting Ray" and have a fixed roof. That program ended up being the resurrected Z06 FWIW.

Could they merge a new Kappa and C7 program under the basics of a Alpha?

The Chevy Sky would carry on with improvments over the present Kappa problems and a 4 cyliner while the Vette carrys the V8. Kind of a modern Sunbeam Alpine/Tiger. Both could share a line and parts in KY.

If I heard right, that WAS the originl plan before the sh*t hit the fan at GM. The Kappa cars and C7 were going to be on the same platform and built in the same place. Hence the potential move from Wilmington to BG for the current Kappas.

I like the Sky, but I'm afraid of what that means for the Solstice and Pontiac. Now Pontiac will have another clone of a Chevy, and of course Chevy will get a newer version while the Pontiac remains unchanged.

I think that's the implications Camino was referring to also.

It's certainly what I was referring to... That, and, I don't really want to see a Sky with a bow-tie glued to the nose. If GM does go down that path, they need to at least do it right. (Something they 'aint got' the money to do IMO)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Ok now here is the real question.

How many halo cars does Chevy need? Two seat cars are a limited sale and limited profit market. The fact is you can not sell too many Chevy Kappas per year as if you do you will kill future sales. Pontiac over sold the Fiero the first 3 years to buy time till the GM 80 was to be built in the Fiero plant. As we know now it was canceled and left a already damaged Fiero flailing in the wind for Chevy to shoot down.

Mazda average Miata sales are only around 11K-12 for all years it was made. At that rate it is easy to to keep demand up with a few special editions per year. But it also makes it difficult to keep a profit. The Daewoo and Opel will help.

The question with Chevy just now making ground with a Malibu and still waiting to see if the public accepts the Cruze is it wise to worry about another 2 seater for only 15,000 people?

Would the money be better suited to be put into a new 6th gen Camaro a car with the potential of selling 100K vs 15K units and will have to be repalced in 2016 if not sooner if the goverment changes CAFE and Emission regs again.

Also cars like the new Hyundia Coupe will set the new trends in Coupes.

I see people here who cry GM needs Volume with Pontiac and Buick but support a limited edition 2 seater when that money could make a car with a wider appeal or potential buyers.

I always wanted to see a Pontiac Mini fighter but right now it will be left to Chevy. A small FWD or even RWD Mini type car with a Nomad show car like roof and nose would be a hit and keep it priced in the range of 18-25K would be a hit. Also make the 2.0 LNF turbo Ecotech avaiable. This car would have power to spare and still get 30 MPG highway. Lesser engined models even more.

As much as a Sky Chevy sounds I can think of 5-6 models GM could build that would out sell and out profit another limited Roadster. Lets fix Chevy first and then dream up halo cars that would be built correctly with the proper funding provided by profitable volume cars.

Many of the present Kappa short comings were because of lack of time but also the lack of proper funding. THis also is what short changed the original Fiero. It took them till 1988 top get the funding to do a proper suspension. By then it was too late. Also add in the fact they sold near 340,000 it left few others who were interested. THe last year sold well but many were bought by Fiero owners just upgrading becsue of the new bits and the anouncment of the ending of the line. If they had not anounced the end they would have sat on dealer lots for months. Some still did here locally till the dealer offed them to a buyer in England.

The fate of the Sky is really a minor detail.

I would say that this decision ought to be based on the reality GM finds itself in after the shape of the restructure is known.

If Pontiac stays, the Sky should probably disapppear.

Then so will Solstice. Frankly, the SKY and Solstice do very little competing against each other due to the great differences in styling. Shifting SKY to Chevrolet would provide more volume for Kappa, and maybe even make it a more viable platform (doubtful). But killing SKY will kill Solstice, make no mistake.

Then so will Solstice. Frankly, the SKY and Solstice do very little competing against each other due to the great differences in styling.

****boing****[walks into wall]

What? i'm sure you didn't mean this. of course they compete against one another. there's only so many people who will consider a certain kind of bodystyle of car. they draw different consumers in from other markets, but in the end a person looking at a roadster will inevitably look at both. it's just good they have two different looks so as to draw as many buyers as possible.

It's the implications of this that bother me.

we have to get used to the idea that gm will come out of this situation alive and with buick, gmc, chevy and cadillac likely only. if we're a fan of the engineering, design, and powertrains, we will come out on the better end as GM will be stronger. you're one of the most vocal sect here.......yet the last time you bought a brand new car was back in '02. if you can't grow up about this situation and accept gm will be around, and you will have your choosing from a reduced number of brands, and hopefully they can make a car that represents who you are and your situation. the only difference is it will be under a different name, but at least the idea of engineering, designwork, and design we all subscribed could happen years ago, and is now actually happening, will live on. GM finally makes good cars. if you turn into a real consumer anytime soon, you can have a choice from there. don't be sour anymore.

****boing****[walks into wall]

What? i'm sure you didn't mean this. of course they compete against one another. there's only so many people who will consider a certain kind of bodystyle of car. they draw different consumers in from other markets, but in the end a person looking at a roadster will inevitably look at both. it's just good they have two different looks so as to draw as many buyers as possible.

They might compete in the same segment, but they do not compete for the same buyer. Just because the new Terrain and Equinox are in the same segment, their distinct styling appeals to different buyers. Thus it is so with SKY/Solstice. How many people love them both equally? Even on this board there are strong preferences for one or the other. Hence, they complement each other more than competing with each other--even less so with the Solstice Coupe/Targa availability.

Edited by Croc

we have to get used to the idea that gm will come out of this situation alive and with buick, gmc, chevy and cadillac likely only. if we're a fan of the engineering, design, and powertrains, we will come out on the better end as GM will be stronger. you're one of the most vocal sect here.......yet the last time you bought a brand new car was back in '02. if you can't grow up about this situation and accept gm will be around, and you will have your choosing from a reduced number of brands, and hopefully they can make a car that represents who you are and your situation. the only difference is it will be under a different name, but at least the idea of engineering, designwork, and design we all subscribed could happen years ago, and is now actually happening, will live on. GM finally makes good cars. if you turn into a real consumer anytime soon, you can have a choice from there. don't be sour anymore.

Dead wrong.

All of it.

You forget my 2004 GTO and my 2005 Silverado quite conveniently.

What you interpret as sourness, is simply me speaking my mind as an actual consumer.

One who has purchased four new GM products in this decade so far.

So save the BS lesson for someone who has earned it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Camino...

Grow up and give up your freedom of choice and desire.

:rolleyes:

The arrogance on this board astounds me sometimes. (Especially coming from the members that seem to spew it most often)

Back to the Sky as a Chevy.

I wouldn't mind Chevy having a Kappa, but it should be some other bodystyle.

I loved the Nomad.

It even deserved the name.

I don't think Kappa can be stretched enough, but a 2 seat shooting brake called Nomad would be every bit as cool looking and be a more utilitarian Solstice targa alternative.

The Sky would make a fantastic "Stingray"

Just add chrome. :)