• 31-35
    • 36-40
    • 41-45
    • 46-50
    • 51-55
    • 56-60
    • 61-65
    • Over 65

Age is nothing but a number. I have met many grown adults well into their elder years with the maturity and emotional outlook of a 5 year old, and I have met many young people on this board who I thought were much older than myself. I'm not posting my age because it is far too easy to begin levying judgments against posters based on their age. I want my posts to be judged on their own merits without any extraneous information being factored into said judgments.

Age is nothing but a number.  I have met many grown adults well into their elder years with the maturity and emotional outlook of a 5 year old, and I have met many young people on this board who I thought were much older than myself.  I'm not posting my age because it is far too easy to begin levying judgments against posters based on their age.  I want my posts to be judged on their own merits without any extraneous information being factored into said judgments.

[post="44349"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

agreed. now i'm not so sure i want to reveal my age, but i was curious as to how old people saw me as being here.

croc, you're pretty darn mature for any age.

Age is nothing but a number.  I have met many grown adults well into their elder years with the maturity and emotional outlook of a 5 year old, and I have met many young people on this board who I thought were much older than myself.  I'm not posting my age because it is far too easy to begin levying judgments against posters based on their age.  I want my posts to be judged on their own merits without any extraneous information being factored into said judgments.

[post="44349"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Age is much more than a number croc, you wouldnt want to be judged on the merit of that statement.

Grown adults with the maturity and emotional outlook of a 5yr old ? Once again wouldnt want to be judged on the merit of that statement, it may make you look like a ....judgemental, uninformed, immature, levying against posters based on their age. Just like calling people that dont share in your beliefs or views morons all the time........does :blink:

though the years pass quickly there is still much that happens to change outlooks, ideals and attitudes. You will see this, everyone does.

Age is much more than a number croc, you wouldnt want to be judged on the merit of that statement.

If age is more than a number, then what more is it? And why on earth would I not want to be judged on the merit of my statements?

Grown adults with the maturity and emotional outlook of a 5yr old ? Once again wouldnt want to be judged on the merit of that statement, it may make you look like a ....judgemental, uninformed, immature, levying against posters based on their age. Just like calling people that dont share in your beliefs or views morons all the time........does  :blink:

Pardon? Where and most importantly how did you extrapolate all that? How in the world am I levying against posters based on age when I am arguing against revealing one's age? Are you telling me you have never met an adult who acted extremely immaturely? If you are really arguing that...then I must point you to the television, where you can watch moving colored pictures (with sound!) and observe on almost every channel the multitudes of adults with maturity issues.

though the years pass quickly there is still much that happens to change outlooks, ideals and attitudes. You will see this, everyone does.

[post="44391"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

This last part is a vast generalization. You forget that people will not change unless they see a need to chance. Again, there are plenty of mature young people and immature not-so-young people in this world, and that fact alone pretty much disproves your age=maturity argument. Edited by Croc

For starters, I said that statement.

then where was my age = maturity statement ? I do see your 5yr old statement however which could be interpreted as .......

I was speaking from an experience and what one has seen and various outcomes, ect. standpoint. Of course its a vast generalization, I surely wasnt nor am qualified to write a book on it. I suppose you feel the same today about stuff as you did when you were 16-17 ? Not that I remember much change in view in those early years. Its so great being idealistic and having all the answers, t'aint it ? seriously !

As for immaturity in aging adults, of course one as mature as yourself would realize that too is a vast generalization and would also require a book of great study to speculate why people can act as they do. At times, fun times, during play lets call it, I find it fun and refreshing after all these years to toss that manly so tuff and mature crap to the wind and behave like the 12 year old boy I once knew and loved. Im not sure if thats the kind of behavior you are talking about but I can tell you, that little fella is still in there somewhere and Im damn glad for it, however with him and his fun lovin ways comes some of the other less secure and inexperienced confusion thats somehow still in there as well. Make sence ? Dont worry it doesnt to me either, it just is what it is.

You are correct those that are protected may not change their views, ideals, I did not until my carpet was pulled, but they will be humbled and have some form of revelation if not until the end it will slap them upside the face.

I dont judge the young folks here but it sure has helped me at times when I realize where their thoughts are comming from. As I have stood in the middle of the fire and took the bullits directly to the chest on some of these hot seat issues it has helped me much. Same applies for where in the economic chain others stand when they begin the attacks.......after all, on a similar note......isnt that exactly what your "higher education" poll was all about.......ey ?

So how is this age poll any different ?

:AH-HA_wink:

It is interesting how it does not exactly line up with this poll.

"extrapolate" wow, is that one of those important words ? I must learn me that one but I believe Id be ashamed to use it. That is after all why you pulled it out, no ?

"extrapolate" wow, is that one of those important words ? I must learn me that one but I believe Id be ashamed to use it. That is after all why you pulled it out, no ?

[post="44461"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Reverse snobbery is still snobbery.........
:AH-HA_wink:

Extrapolate is fun to say outloud. Say it a few times. There is an Ex, a Tra, and a Polate. Any word that has a Polate in it kicks ass. And since Stace wont tell, I'm going to go out on a limb and say 28. Honestly, I have no clue, its just the first number that came into my head. I'm 21 years, 113 days old. I did the math because I suck. Edited by Satty

I felt that the "education" threads were a bit over the line.  This site shouldn't be about pigeonholing people or classifying them in this manner, imho.  It was rude and I fail to see the point.

[post="44464"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I didnt mind the thred or poll but then again Im totally shameless :P I do however find it interesting the contrast to that poll and not wanting to reveil age in the next.

I actually believe exposed age, if honestly done should be mandatory, it just helps, sometimes, a little if not alot to help in the understanding process. same as education or life experiences do. Like many many issues we have had here actually.

Like I can take Vyps for example and think "oh hes young yet what does he know" :P

and he can look at me and think "hes an old fart bordering on scenility, traped in the past, ect." :blink: :)

Anyhow I believe, at least speaking for myself I give credit to those based on their merit but at the same time if something doesnt line up I can look at it and say "you were not there, you do not know" or "theres more to the picture than you are seeing, give life some time and others some credit"

tmp - I know :)

Believe it or not I like and respect nearly everyone here and croc is one of them, though he sure can make me kick and spit. :AH-HA_wink:

Well... I'm all for giving out your age. I'm just not a fan of being judged solely on it. There's more to a person than his age. Quite frankly, most judging is done because of stereotypes. A certain age groupe may have a certain stereotype and because of that, everyone in it gets discriminated against including those who never deserved it. If I could eliminate that aspect, I might not regret giving out my age. Just like I do when I get into a heated arguement because my age almost always gets brought up. I can say that I'm proud to be 16 (soon 17) regardless of what anyone says, but it's annoying as hell...

I felt that the "education" threads were a bit over the line.  This site shouldn't be about pigeonholing people or classifying them in this manner, imho.  It was rude and I fail to see the point.

[post="44464"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't see how they were offensive and/or rude at all, blu. I think it speaks volumes that we have a large majority of intelligent people on this site who, last time I checked the poll, were overwhelmingly educated by the public school system. I really don't know where the rudeness would come into play...there was no intent at snobbery there at all. I think you may have been reading too much into it.

For what it's worth, the threads were inspired by evok's "no child left behind" pun in one of the threads. No ulterior motives.

[post="44461"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I only used that word because I don't know what else to call it. I just checked a thesarus and it doesn't have any real synonyms.

A lady never votes (in age polls)

[post="44402"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

28 until January 25th.

Oh, and I'll tell... Stace is 72! There, I said it! :P Edited by Paolino

I didnt mind the thred or poll but then again Im totally shameless  :P  I do however find it interesting the contrast to that poll and not wanting to reveil age in the next.

I don't really see the contrast. We have witnessed far too many times on this board where age has been used as a weapon during a heated argument, and I have been guilty of this myself upon occasion. It isn't right. No one, on the other hand, has, in a heated debate, played the "I went to public/private school and you didn't" card to discredit someone. Frankly, I think such thinking is appalling, if for no other fact than that someone can graduate valedictorian from a less prestigious school than someone who graduated with a 1.5 from a very prestigious school. Who likely got more out of the experience and gleaned more knowledge? What the student got out of the school means worlds more than the name printed on the degree.

Believe it or not I like and respect nearly everyone here and croc is one of them, though he sure can make me kick and spit. :AH-HA_wink:

[post="44490"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If my posts do that to you you might want to get that checked, though it sounds psychosomatic in nature :AH-HA_wink:

Dear God...

[post="44267"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm only 26 myself but it's weird to be oldder thna average here... sometimes I still get carded for the lottery and most of the time for Booze, not that I buy any hard stuff.

I don't really see the contrast.  We have witnessed far too many times on this board where age has been used as a weapon during a heated argument, and I have been guilty of this myself upon occasion.  It isn't right.  No one, on the other hand, has, in a heated debate, played the "I went to public/private school and you didn't" card to discredit someone.  Frankly, I think such thinking is appalling, if for no other fact than that someone can graduate valedictorian from a less prestigious school than someone who graduated with a 1.5 from a very prestigious school.  Who likely got more out of the experience and gleaned more knowledge?  What the student got out of the school means worlds more than the name printed on the degree.

If my posts do that to you you might want to get that checked, though it sounds psychosomatic in nature :AH-HA_wink:

[post="44557"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Of course you dont see the contrast. Somehow I dont think we were talking about the high school poll but not surprised you danced completely around that one. How many times have I been degraded because I did not go to college, never took economic classes, cnat speel weel, and sat around and did nothing my whole life ?

Then I make one comment, as a way, somehow, to show some form of decency and respect for others here and what do you do but use it to further degrade me.

As usual why does that not surprise me ? I had high hopes at the time, however.

carry on !

I was referring to both colleges and high schools. One of the smartest people I know dropped out of college...it isn't for everyone. That said, he has worked hard and learned a lot of life knowledge and went somewhere with it. So there's nothing to be said (inherently) for college vs. not.

Then I make one comment, as a way, somehow, to show some form of decency and respect for others here and what do you do but use it to further degrade me.

As usual why does that not surprise me ? I had high hopes at the time, however.

[post="44625"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

What on earth are you talking about? I'm completely lost...If you're referring to my comment with the little :AH-HA_wink: following it, then I really don't know what to say as it was a mild joke meant to elicit a chuckle or two.

I am 29 and a few months....176 of them. Put another way, I will be celebrating the 15th anniversary of my 29th birthday in March.

I'm only 26 myself but it's weird to be oldder thna average here... sometimes I still get carded for the lottery and most of the time for Booze, not that I buy any hard stuff.

[post="44621"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

26? Wow...there are a lot of people on here that seem older for some reason. Not making fun of you or anything, sixty, I'm just surprised.

I don't see how they were offensive and/or rude at all, blu.  I think it speaks volumes that we have a large majority of intelligent people on this site who, last time I checked the poll, were overwhelmingly educated by the public school system.  I really don't know where the rudeness would come into play...there was no intent at snobbery there at all.  I think you may have been reading too much into it.

For what it's worth, the threads were inspired by evok's "no child left behind" pun in one of the threads.  No ulterior motives.

[post="44540"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think a problem is that SOME people don't seem to realize that there's a HELLUVA lot of life experience to be gained in college. I learned a lot about myself and other people. I debated on many occasions with a friend who was WAY more intelligent than myself and it not only taught me a lot of myself, but taught me how to listen, how to consider each and every point, and how to argue my side better. I started to win arguments with him every now and then just because I argued my side better.

Don't dismiss someones comments due to their age, or lack thereof, either. Some people experience more things in 20 years than others do in 40. I may not act mature 90% of the time, but I understand more about whats going on than people give me credit for.