Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2 Year's Supply of EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!

pontiac-g3-kick-me-250.jpg

In news that will doubtlessly result in a chorus of "We told you so" forehead-slaps from critics who noted the arrival of the Pontiac G3 with disdain, word is that General Motors has a bumper crop of the Korean-built subcompacts sitting on its lots.

How many? According to The Wall Street Journal, nearly a two-year supply at current sales rates. In the course of doing some research, writer Neal Boudette discovered that GM has 3,479 unsold G3 units clogging up its dealers and vacant lots. Combined with the knowledge that dealers sold just 141 units of the car in March (or one unit for every 19 of GM's 2,700 Pontiac stores), that means that GM has a supply of these Chevrolet Aveo5 twins that will last them 617 days, meaning that if the automaker stopped building new units, they would still have a supply that would last them until December 16, 2010.

In all fairness, the G3 just came to market in February, and it often takes some time for a new model to take hold. It could well be that GM is planning a big marketing push for the car, but we've seen no evidence of this thus far, and in these cash-strapped days, it would appear that the General probably has bigger-margin fish to fry.

Autoblog

pontiac-g3-kick-me-250.jpg

In news that will doubtlessly result in a chorus of "We told you so" forehead-slaps from critics who noted the arrival of the Pontiac G3 with disdain, word is that General Motors has a bumper crop of the Korean-built subcompacts sitting on its lots.

How many? According to The Wall Street Journal, nearly a two-year supply at current sales rates. In the course of doing some research, writer Neal Boudette discovered that GM has 3,479 unsold G3 units clogging up its dealers and vacant lots. Combined with the knowledge that dealers sold just 141 units of the car in March (or one unit for every 19 of GM's 2,700 Pontiac stores), that means that GM has a supply of these Chevrolet Aveo5 twins that will last them 617 days, meaning that if the automaker stopped building new units, they would still have a supply that would last them until December 16, 2010.

In all fairness, the G3 just came to market in February, and it often takes some time for a new model to take hold. It could well be that GM is planning a big marketing push for the car, but we've seen no evidence of this thus far, and in these cash-strapped days, it would appear that the General probably has bigger-margin fish to fry.

Autoblog

:confused0071: Link seems to be broken, but from the pic above, that is sure an UGLY CAR and NOT EXCITEMENT that Pontiac needs.

And the concept of the story is a bit deceiving. 3,479 units is not that many, especially for a low cost vehicle. They sell close to that many Aveos per month. GM just needs to make people aware of the G3 and offer incentives, and those will be gone in a couple months. I honestly had never heard of the G3 until I saw a post about it on here.

Put some GXP badges on them, paint them bright colors, and advertise them!

And add some nostrils.

If they brought back the old Sunfire hubcaps, and put them on the G3, there would be an EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! overload!

Pontiac_hubcap.jpg

Edited by Captainbooyah

Now that I have seen the rest of the pics, I strongly stand by my statement. This was the WRONG EXCITEMENT for Pontiac. This is NOT the type of auto this brand needs.

Now that I have seen the rest of the pics, I strongly stand by my statement. This was the WRONG EXCITEMENT for Pontiac. This is NOT the type of auto this brand needs.

True, not what the brand needs, but what the BPG dealers wanted..they wanted something cheap enough to compete with Chevy.

And with that statement, we have one of the big reasons why GM is such a clusterf@#k. Too busy competing with itself.

So true, they should be focused on the mid level market not competeing with their entry level cousins. Idiots need to wake up and GM needs to smack them with stupidity and call them that as they are not doing their job in the mid market.

The BPG dealer I work at just (unfortunately) received our first and second G3's about 10 days ago. They put it right out front next to the Solstice and G8. So sad. Maybe they just aren't out at dealers to sell yet, instead buried in some holding lot somewhere...

Let gasoline ratchet up to 3 bucks a gallon, and watch them fly off the shelves ...

I only recall the Cobalt "flying" off teh shelves when gas prices were high. Not only that, but pretty soon the Fiesta will be here. Add that to the increasing list of available small cars and only a retard would choose an Aveo, G3, or Yaris.

At least gm4life has his pick of colors and options.

I am actually excited about that, hopefully I can get one new for 10K and get another 1K off with my GM card. That would be great! I do understand the fact it doesn't fit in a performance line-up but if gas hits 3 or 4 again they might not seem like such a bad idea. Why did you feel the need to bring me into this honestly? I just hope the "large supply" means great prices!

Edited by gm4life

did anyone stop to think that a lot of people (despite what the liberal granola asswipes say) don't want small cars?

We'll "want" them soon enough...

"Want": When the liberal granola assholes make that the only car formula available.

I wonder how many on lots have the Cruisin' Package. Thats EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait, what?!?! :blink: There's actually a 'cruisin' package' ?

LMAO.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Could it be that the public isn't stupid? Went to NYIAS on Saturday and the Pontiac display was very telling. The G8 and Solstice were mobbed (I waited in line to sit in a G8 GXP), with the G6 coupe/vert less so. The G6 sedan got an occasional glance. The G3 and G5 saw no attention at all.

Maybe a G3 GXP Extreme model would amp up the EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! quotient to the EXTREME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ur doin it wrong! Extreme should be spelled XTREME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to highlight the added EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by YellowJacket894

did anyone stop to think that a lot of people (despite what the liberal granola asswipes say) don't want small cars?

I blame Pontiac. Why were they crying out for a 'me-too' model? It's obvious they didn't need it, especially in the U.S. - I mean, really, the U.S. is practically the only place in the world where the small car isn't popular.

You're, quite literally, the only person on this board who has ever implied that they would be interested in spending actual currency on one of these.

And $6k under sticker isn't really helping GM.

Yeah I actually kind-of like them... But I prolly end up with a Cobalt, Impala, Grand Prix or something like that pre-owned. I don't think I could live with such a whimpy car. The guys on here kind of helped bring me along.

Sorry to be picky, but you did it wrong: no ITALIC means no EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!! :smilewide:

Speaking of Daewoo hatchbacks, the G3 provides Pontiac with the most EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!! in the compact hatchback market since the LeMans! ! ! (anyone remember that car, about 20 years ago?).

Edited by moltar

I blame Pontiac. Why were they crying out for a 'me-too' model? It's obvious they didn't need it, especially in the U.S. - I mean, really, the U.S. is practically the only place in the world where the small car isn't popular.

I think it was the dealers that forced this. I doubt anyone within Pontiac itself was excited about this decision. I blame GM, trying for short term profits in exchange for long term damage.

• 2 weeks later...

Pontiac dealers always wanted what Chevy had and competed. One auto writer said it best that, "It used to be better looking versions of Chevys, but then they turned into UGLIER versions of Chevy"

So, $$$ is wasted on marketing, instead of engineering, pushing the same basic car, but it is supposedly "better" since it has a different name. The distinction worked from 1926 to 1979, but the look alike boxy X and A bodies killed it. So by now many people just say "Pontiac, Buick, whatever all GMs are the same".

>>"So, $$$ is wasted on marketing, instead of engineering, pushing the same basic car, but it is supposedly "better" since it has a different name. The distinction worked from 1926 to 1979"<<

Ironically, Pontiac was created to spread the cost of Chevrolet over a 2nd line. But soon after, Pontiac became another autonomous division, engineering a very different car from Chevrolet. What was perhaps the first catalyst in the Decline was GM's Corporate decision --at the whining of Chevrolet-- to forbid the unique Banshee from being built, and tossing PMD the Firebird package... tho this example should be stricken because of the overwhelming success of the Firebird line thru the '60s & '70s.

But otherwise, throughout the '30s, the '40s, the '50s and the '60s - Pontiacs were nothing remotely resembling "the same basic" Chevy.

The real first torpedo was the X-body of '71. These were just effortless offerings that started the whole "all GMs are alike' BS.

RE : "2 Year's Supply of EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!" .... VW has a 2.5 year (27.7 month) supply of the rebadged Chrysler minivans on hand.

That's 2.5 years of soccer mom EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Routan is to be axed, apparently.