[[Template core/front/global/userBar is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lutz Speaks On The Success Of The HHR

Guest Josh

Back in August I challenged you to test-drive some of our newest products and see for yourselves if they deserve the lavish praise I’ve been giving them. I spoke specifically of the Chevy HHR and Impala, Pontiac Torrent, Hummer H3, Pontiac G6 Coupe and the Solstice.

It appears that at least some of you have taken me up on that, because those vehicles are getting attention in dealerships. The HHR in particular has been making a lot of headway in the marketplace.

Chevy dealers are telling us they can’t get enough of them; they are selling them at about three times the rate they’d ordered them. About half of those sales have been conquest sales – from customers who previously owned a non-GM product. All signs tell us the HHR is just getting started, so we are preparing for higher production than we set earlier in the year.

What I really like about HHR’s performance so far is that sales are hottest where GM has traditionally not done so well: on the west coast, for instance, and in warm-weather cities like Dallas and Houston.

Why has it gotten so popular? Let’s start with the fact that it looks pretty darn good. The HHR has character. People are drawn to its unique exterior, which is the result of crossing a 1949 Chevy Suburban – the original utility vehicle – with the much newer Chevy SSR. Yet, the HHR doesn’t take up much space; it’s only 176.2 inches long, so it’s easy to maneuver. It’s also very versatile. With the front passenger seat folded down, the HHR can carry an 8-foot ladder with the liftgate closed. Younger customers and those who like the latest gadgets appreciate the auxiliary input jack that allows an iPod to be played through the audio system. Our 1LT version of the HHR comes with a standard MP3 player.

Full: http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives/2005/...it_to_be_t.html

I went Past the Team Dealership where I live yesterday and saw a couple HHR's They look ALOT better in person. I wish I had a good job or I would by one just like that.

The HHR is relatively popular around here-haven't seen many around lately, but I think that and Ford Fusion will probably be the biggest 2006 Success Stories.

The HHR and Cobalt SS coupe were at my college today. It was pretty crowded with kids trying to sit in them and look at the engines. I think it was sponsored by a local dealer because if you signed up to receive more information you were also qualified to win an iPod. They were giving away free soft pretzels, too. I finally felt the interior materials of both and they're exactly what I thought they would be: fine for economy cars. Yes, it's hard plastic but it's nicely grained and the interiors are styled nicely. A security officer was walking around the Cobalt saying, "Yeah this looks good." Tons of kids were looking under the hood. Edit: spelling. Edited by sciguy_0504

I too sat in a HHR awhile back, pretty cramped for me (I'm 6'-4" and 245lbs). Interior looked nice, just that my biggest complaint was the amount of width room when setting in it. A couple more inches would have helped dramatically. The door panel felt as if it was pushing me further inside the vehicle. They type of materials used I'd say were average but the fit and finish was excellant. Edited by BuddyP

I wonder if anybody else is reading into the HHR success what I've read into it? Basicly that GM can take risks and succeed. Not that the HHR was a huge risk other than it shows the niche small car is no doubt a growth segment. Somehow I just can't see "NSC" supplanting SUV in the everyday vocabulary but you've got to admit the niche exists and it carries none of the "evil" baggage. The best question here may be where to go next in this market. I personally believe the the HHR two door concept is by far the most appealling choice. It is drop dead gorgeous and for empty nesters it fits perfect. Question is, will some abboration like a Scion XB (by far the most hideous vehicle sold today) step up or will the niche flower with good looking stuff. BTW has anybody else noticed that Honda did the exact same thing Pontiac did with the Aztec and has finished the cladding on the Element body color? Why aren't the educated ( I almost choked on that ) press jumped on them?

BTW has anybody else noticed that Honda did the exact same thing Pontiac did with the Aztec and has finished the cladding on the Element body color? Why aren't the educated ( I almost choked on that ) press jumped on them?

[post="44651"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Because the Element sold with the cladding where the Aztek didn't. I saw an Element EX-P or whatever the cladless one is today. It just lacks something to me, I actually like the cladded version better. Kudos to Honda for offering both, just like Chevy with the two versions of the Avalanch.

I wonder if anybody else is reading into the HHR success what I've read into it?

Basicly that GM can take risks and succeed.

Not that the HHR was a huge risk other than it shows the niche small car is no doubt a growth segment. Somehow I just can't see "NSC" supplanting SUV in the everyday vocabulary but you've got to admit the niche exists and it carries none of the "evil" baggage.

The best question here may be where to go next in this market.

I personally believe the the HHR two door concept is by far the most appealling choice. It is drop dead gorgeous and for empty nesters it fits perfect.

Question is, will some abboration like a Scion XB (by far the most hideous vehicle sold today) step up or will the niche flower with good looking stuff.

BTW has anybody else noticed that Honda did the exact same thing Pontiac did with the Aztec and has finished the cladding on the Element body color? Why aren't the educated ( I almost choked on that ) press jumped on them?

[post="44651"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Hybrid HHR (love the HHHR), 2-door HHR, 2-door HHR Convertible, HHR ute...

GM should keep updating and adding HHR styles, sort of what BMW plans for the next MINI. DCX really failed to capitalize on the PT's success, if you think about it. Sure the sold and they continue to sell but they could have sold much more by introducing more variants.

The Element with body-colored panels looks worse than the normal verison. Usually it's the other way around for me but like Satty said, something's missing from it.

Just thought about this......why isn't the HHR posts in the "Chevrolet CARS" section? There's not a single thing about the HHR that makes it a truck...especially when it's based on a Cobalt platform. I don't care what Chevy's calling it....it's a car (Not that it's a big deal....but I just think it's funny how mfgrs try to spin the car vs. truck debate to help their CAFE.....neither PT nor the Legacy Outback are trucks yet that's how Chrysler and Subaru presents them to CAFE.) Edited by The O.C.

Technically, that is how CAFE labels them. The flat load floor is pretty much the only thing that qualifies it as being a truck in the eyes of one of the gvt. agencies, but that what they call it. They're just manipulating the system, I wont complain.

Guest YellowJacket894
You know, the sucess of the HHR and it's niche status may actually give confidence in another Camaro. Just something I wanted to point out. And it's good to hear that it's taking the PT Cruiser to the cleaners; it's a getting long in the tooth, anyway. The Element EX-P looks even stupider than the original. At least the Aztek looked a little better when the cladding actually got some color. I think the Element won't live to see another model generation. And the cladding industry will heave a giant death rattle.

What I really like about HHR’s performance so far is that sales are hottest where GM has traditionally not done so well: on the west coast, for instance, and in warm-weather cities like Dallas and Houston.

[post="44354"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

that is truth. it seam like the number HHR on the roads here in the DFW area has increase significantly . It is really great lookin' vehicle

You know, RWD is great and everything, but I think this day in age 90% of the public doesn't care where the power is going to their wheels. People are not going to the drag races and burning out their tires to go for a good ET..... people what rear seat leg room and a reasonable ride and decent power and security...... who cares what the drive wheels are........ if you want a RWD performance car go for a corvette.... my mom's 96 STS is FWD and is just fine..... it has so much power we dont know what to do with it yet the FWD doesnt bother us a bit.

:huh: Really, this whole HHR thing is surprising, I have seen 2 on the road here in Seattle Washington and 1 at our auto show a week ago. I have been by 3 chevy dealers and not a one had an HHR. They just do not seem to be any around here. The Cobalt on the other hand is HOT here. :P You find those babies every were and a ton of kids are trading in those junky Honda's for them also. :D My own son who liked the 240SX and the 300Z as his favorite cars has decided he likes the cobalt more and wants the SS after having sat in it at the AutoShow. He also loves the Saturn Ion. :P These cars will help out the General greatly. :D IMO

The HHR and Cobalt SS coupe were at my college today.  It was pretty crowded with kids trying to sit in them and look at the engines.  I think it was sponsored by a local dealer because if you signed up to receive more information you were also qualified to win an iPod.  They were giving away free soft pretzels, too.

I finally felt the interior materials of both and they're exactly what I thought they would be:  fine for economy cars.  Yes, it's hard plastic but it's nicely grained and the interiors are styled nicely.  A security officer was walking around the Cobalt saying, "Yeah this looks good."  Tons of kids were looking under the hood.

Edit: spelling.

[post="44536"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

you know Sci, I was almost going to say the same thing. (they had the same thing
at my brother's campus). People were all over them. I figure as long as someone
doesn't mention the word "Cavalier"- people wouldn't even know....

I have to say I like both the inside of both the HHR and the Cobalt, and have driven both, and would have no problem taking either one home... :)

I was in Dallas in 2002.  it seemed to be a pretty strong market for GM.  It had the most SUVs and trucks of any town I've seen, very few sedans on the roads.  Basically market segments GM does well in.

But Lutz's comments seem to imply that GM hasn't been doing so well in Texas.

[post="45868"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think he means on the car side of things...

But, yeah I could see GM losing Texas... I mean after all "Toyota has done so much more for them" :rolleyes:

These sales will tank in about a year..........NO QUESTION!!!!!!!!

I'm not so sure about that... Sales might level out a bit more, but I don't think they'll tank. The HHR has a lot more to offer than the PT and times have changed with the big gas scare.

The key to a successful HHR will be keeping it fresh. If GM just lets it languish like Chrysler did with the PT, then yes sales will probably tank and incentives will be needed.

Ol Bobbie Lutz has just one problem with the HHR..... that's DELIVERY!!!! I have been trying to buy one......... a 1LT model, but without Onstar, or XP radio or heated leather front seats......... and nobody down here has one! And colors......... GM introduced a new color with this car........ but try and find one! They have a winner here, if people can get them........ I have convinced two friends to buy one, but can't even get a promise out of any dealer that they could deliver an "ordered" HHR before the Red Tag expires! So much for new product availability :(