Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Top 10 2006 Fiascos?

Just curious what you guys think (2006 all-new/redesigned for model year cars/trucks) might not do well in sales this year....

Corvette Z06. :P Seriously though, I don't see the redesigned Explorer doing that well relative to how much Ford spent on it. I also don't think the Azera, Commander, R-class, Jetta, new Golf, or FJ-cruiser will do well either. Edited by CSpec

My vote goes to the 2006 DTS.  I have yet to see one on the road, and many on dealer lots.  It just looks awkward and half-baked.

[post="44559"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I've actually seen several. It appears to be doing well up here.

As for fiasco, I'd have to go with.... hmmmm.... Mitsubishi Eclipse.

My vote goes to the 2006 DTS.  I have yet to see one on the road, and many on dealer lots.  It just looks awkward and half-baked.

I see it everyday. There's a beautiful pearl white one parked at a small complex near the University. I walk pass there everyday. Edited by ToniCipriani

Raider, Commander, R-Class, Passat (though it's a beautiful car), next-gen Golf (base on the pictures I've seen)...I can't remember any more. I've seen one new DTS so far, which isn't good. I've been seeing plenty of new Explorers, though. How much is Ford discounting them?

I've seen a number on the road here. I've driven one and I really liked it for it's purpose. No, it's not as nimble as my CTS, but it's not ment to be either. That said, it's still handles well for such a large car <just as the Lucerne is reported to by Edmunds>. It will suit it's target market well.

I've seen a fair number of DTS', new Jetta's, Explorer's, Impala's, and HHR's. My votes for 'fiascos of the year (not in order)' are: Buick Lucerne Chevrolet Monte Carlo Mitsubishi Eclipse Mitsubishi Raider (I like the styling, but how many Mighty Max's did you see on the road?) Isuzu i-280/350 (you know, the Canyon clone).

I don't see any new cars that will "tank," but I think that the Honda Civic will be the only big success of the bunch. It seems that Ford and GM only have moderate expectations of most of their new models. Edited by ehaase

Everyone naming the Monte carlo is surprising.  The car isn't even on the road yet.

And the R-class's demise is greatly exaggerated.

[post="45221"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Oh yes it is. Saw my fifth today.

The R-Class won't die (Mercedes products don't die; they just linger until no one buys them anymore) but it won't sell as expected. Not with those gangly lines and high pricetag.

Isuzu i-280/350

Isuzu

MB R-Class

Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Buick Lucerne

Saturn VUE

Audi A3

[post="45132"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I've seen quite a few A3s... they're starting to become more and more common.

The DTS seems to be doing decently. I've seen two that weren't rentals.

Isuzu i-280/350

Isuzu

MB R-Class

Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Buick Lucerne

Saturn VUE

Audi A3

[post="45132"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Aren't they already having trouble keeping the new Vue on the lots? We around here don't really like it, but what do we know? Few of us here like the Camry and it's the best selling sedan in the country.

I was at a Buick "unveiling" tonight for the Lucerne. Nearly everyone there I spoke to had favorable things to say about the look and feel of the car. The leather is excellent. The control knobs are top notch. The LeSabre owners will be perfectly comfortable with the 3800. The Park Avenue owners will enjoy the step up to the northstar. The back seat is extremely roomy.

The quiet tuning really works. Considering I was in a loud reception hall with maybe 300 people and a jazz band playing. I got in the car, closed the door, and it all went away to a faint murmer. It's almost disturbing how vault like quiet it is.

All the Lucerne has to do is sell at the pace of the LeSabre and Park Avenue combined. I think it will do that easily plus get some conquest sales from Lexus, Lincoln, and a few disgruntled Chrysler Concord owners.

Aren't they already having trouble keeping the new Vue on the lots? We around here don't really like it, but what do we know? Few of us here like the Camry and it's the best selling sedan in the country.

I was at a Buick "unveiling" tonight for the Lucerne. Nearly everyone there I spoke to had favorable things to say about the look and feel of the car. The leather is excellent. The control knobs are top notch. The LeSabre owners will be perfectly comfortable with the 3800. The Park Avenue owners will enjoy the step up to the northstar. The back seat is extremely roomy.

The quiet tuning really works. Considering I was in a loud reception hall with maybe 300 people and a jazz band playing. I got in the car, closed the door, and it all went away to a faint murmer. It's almost disturbing how vault like quiet it is.

All the Lucerne has to do is sell at the pace of the LeSabre and Park Avenue combined. I think it will do that easily plus get some conquest sales from Lexus, Lincoln, and a few disgruntled Chrysler Concord owners.

[post="45239"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm thrilled to hear someone like you say this. I can't picture any LeSabre/Park Avenue owner disappointed with the Lucerne, which guaranties a solid buyer base. I can also see non-GM owners and import owners finding the Lucerne appealing as well.

Why everyone here discounts and ignores the strong buyer base of the LeSabre that will transition to the Lucerne is beyond me. Because of that alone, the Lucerne will not be a 2006 fiasco.

I've yet to have an opportunity to sit inside the Lucerne, but I've seen it in person several times. Your review makes the Lucerne's potential look promising.

Someone like me? I tried to keep track of what car each person I talked to currently had. There was one guy there who was waiting for the Lucerne to trade in in 1999 Deville on. A few people with Park Avenues, some Regal and Rendevous owners. The most excited people seemed to be the LeSabre owners. Most people I spoke with indicated they would be interested in purchasing a Lucerne for their next car. They had every Buick model except the Rendevous at the event. The car that got the least attention? The LaCross. Even the Terazza and Rainier were getting more play then the LaCross. The Terazza has a much too handsome interior for a minivan. The seats in that thing are wonderfully comfortable and beautifully stiched. It feels about as classy as you can get in a van. Most of the controls felt good enough with the exception of the steering wheel mounted controls. They felt cheap and when you pushed one button, all the buttons on that side of the wheel would move slightly.

It's a shame that Buick is going to drop the Rainier. It really is the most handsome of the GMT-360s. I suppose the Enclave will take it's place, but it is still a good looking SUV. Everything seemed above average quaility, but the gaps in some places were kind of large. Tighten up the interior a bit and they'd really finish polishing it.

I won't really write up about the LaCross because I don't think it's a good enough car and I'll end up offending someone. The W-body is just past it's expiration date.

[post="45248"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No, go ahead and write about it. And don't worry about offending anyone, I'll do it first:

The LaCrosse is a piece of sh!t and the W-Body is cheap and ugly. The greenhouse is so stuck into the early-mid 1990s that it is like a car showing up to prom in a retro costume. The fake wood interior trim looks like it came from an aftermarket EXOTIC WOOD DASH kit. The headlights make it look crosseyed. Interior volumes were barely competitive in 1992 and are simply outclassed today. The engine is barely adequate. Features are severely lacking for a "luxury" car. This car is NOT an upscale version of an Impala, it is an upscale version of the 1996 Lumina.

There. Now your turn.

I see a lot of LaCrosses in my town. I really like what they've done with the DTS, it's very hot looking in black with Performance Package. I'm still waiting to see a new Monte Carlo on the lots, so I can't judge on that one yet.

The new Jetta is too expensive, and so is the Passat. I hope they price the Golf V and GTI correctly, or VWOA is in very serious trouble.

I think the car that will tank is the Mazda 5. It was barely on the lots for sale when the big fire "stop sell" axe came down. Now they'll have to relaunch the thing... that's too much momentum lost, imo.

But they are better than Bravada.  It really is the nicest of the GMT-360s.

[post="45287"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's nice, but the Envoy is enough for Buick-Pontiac-GMC dealers.

Some of my favorite posters here want Buick and Pontiac to continue with full lineups, but I don't. Edited by ehaase

Rainier sales aren't good.

[post="45286"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ascender and 9-7x are better? I'd cut those two first. The Ascender simply because Izuzu is dead in this country and the 9-7x because it doesn't fit with Saab's lineup.

The Blazer/Jimmy/Bravada triplets did ok for years. I see no reason Trailblazer/Envoy/Rainier can't do equally as well or better.

It's nice, but the Envoy is enough for Buick-Pontiac-GMC dealers.

Some of my favorite posters here want Buick and Pontiac to continue with full lineups, but I don't.

[post="45299"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I realize this may be a joke today... but GMC really doesn't have the cache that Buick does. People may step out of their Navigators or LX430s into a Buick Rainier, but probably not into a GMC Envoy.

Yeah the Rainier is dead after this model year (the one and only purpose it ever had was to use up the two-year-old at the time Oldsmobile Bravada), the 9-7X should've never happened, and while the Isuzu Ascender looks nice, it doesn't sell and its an unnecessary GMC Envoy/XL (NOT THE TRAILBLAZER, THE ENVOYS) rebadge. I saw a Monte Carlo "SS" yesterday-I don't see its sales going anywhere but down. I personally though Lucerne would tank, but I suppose it will do o0kay. I don't really like it much and I think that and DTS are vastly behind in style, engines, passenger and cargo room (Lucerne has LESS than both LeSabre and Park Avenue, not to mention the dead Chrysler Concorde and Lincoln Continental). I really don't know what GM was thinking when facelifting the DeVille and replacing LeSabre/PA because they will both be severely dated in 2009.

On the other hand, it was a response to Mercury's Mountaineer, another redundant SUV.

[post="45431"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

But really the Mountaineer seems to have grown into its niche. I'm not sure about the sales, but its a nice-looking utility that does have its place.

I would also argue that Mountaineer was Mercury's response to the Bravada as the original Bravada was among the very first luxury SUVs.

True dat. Maybe there is no harm in an automaker capitalizing on a trend while keeping development costs to a minimum, especially when the bubble could burst at any time. But now everyone's moving to unibody crossover-style SUVs. Will the production version of Meta One replace the Mountaineer? I can't wait to see the Lambdas, although I doubt I'll ever be in the market for such a vehicle.

Someone like me?

[post="45246"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Young male professional that's not a current Buick owner and typically cross-shops imports. Pretty much someone who's not in Buick's current demographic, but someone who Buick is trying to attract.

Young male professional that's not a current Buick owner and typically cross-shops imports. Pretty much someone who's not in Buick's current demographic, but someone who Buick is trying to attract.

[post="45472"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ah... I'm not exactly sure if I count then. Young, male, professional sure. Not a current Buick owner... sure.

But my idea of cross shopping is walking from the Olds side of the dealer to the Cadillac side of the dealer. I've only owned one non-GM vehicle, a 1985 Lincoln Continental.

Thank you for the compliment though.

Here's a few future aspiring 2006 Edsels/Azteks: 1. Ridgeline 2. Zephyr 3. Ridgeline 4. Chery 5. DTS 6. Monte Carlo 7. Luscerne 8. Ridgeline

It's a shame that Buick is going to drop the Rainier. It really is the most handsome of the GMT-360s. I suppose the Enclave will take it's place, but it is still a good looking SUV. Everything seemed above average quaility, but the gaps in some places were kind of large. Tighten up the interior a bit and they'd really finish polishing it.

[post="45247"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT! the 9-7x is the best trailblazer. it does look quite nice for a mere chevy. Edited by regfootball

I see a lot of LaCrosses in my town.  I really like what they've done with the DTS, it's very hot looking in black with Performance Package.  I'm still waiting to see a new Monte Carlo on the lots, so I can't judge on that one yet.

The new Jetta is too expensive, and so is the Passat.  I hope they price the Golf V and GTI correctly, or VWOA is in very serious trouble.

I think the car that will tank is the Mazda 5.  It was barely on the lots for sale when the big fire "stop sell" axe came down.  Now they'll have to relaunch the thing... that's too much momentum lost, imo.

[post="45291"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

coincidence, i saw a brand new Mazda5 in the target parking lot tonight

Here's a few future aspiring 2006 Edsels/Azteks:

1. Ridgeline
2. Zephyr
3. Ridgeline
4. Chery
5. DTS
6. Monte Carlo
7. Luscerne
8. Ridgeline

[post="45528"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You know you mentioned the Ridgeline 3 times, right? The Chery's on sale already?