Idea's... for my next car and its a poll... UPDATE 2

gm4life

My next car...  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What used GM car should I get?

• 2001-2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Coupe L36 Special Edition or 40th Edition
    • 2008-2009 Pontiac G5 Coupe XFE 5spd (Used)
    • 2008-2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe XFE LS/LT 5spd (Used)

The 97-03 verison or 04-08 verison I am confused, which one had an MCE? Must have been the 97-03 because I don't recall the 04-08's having one.

I don't remember either generation having an MCE beyond wheel changes..must have been subtle. Now the '89-96 gen had a few changes over it's run.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about something that would actually be fun to drive? Or something attractive and desirable? Or pure awesomeness?

The first is totally over-done ricer. I said GM. The second is a nice German car, but way to many miles. I said GM. The third is an over-priced and most likely abused ricer. I said GM. I could have a nice 04-06 GTO for that easily. Or most of a new Camaro SS or G8 GT. So no way, although the Golf is a nice car, I don't want a forigen car or VW repair bills. Interesting idea... If I were to go non-GM a 02-04 Mustang GT Coupe with a 5spd. could be fun... With the mag style wheels and right color they are pretty cool.

Edited by gm4life

The first is totally over-done ricer. I said GM. The second is a nice German car, but way to many miles. I said GM. The third is an over-priced and most likely abused ricer. I said GM. I could have a nice 04-06 GTO for that easily. Or most of a new Camaro SS or G8 GT. So no way, although the Golf is a nice car, I don't want a forigen car or VW repair bills. Interesting idea... If I were to go non-GM a 02-04 Mustang GT Coupe with a 5spd. could be fun... With the mag style wheels and right color they are pretty cool.

1. The Civic is not riced at all. That's actually tasteful. Don't misuse the term.
  2. 114,000 miles is not a lot of miles for a car. Especially one that looks like it was well cared for such as this.
  3. Again, that's not rice.

I personally would rock the Supra...that things is badass (minus the fart can). Love those cars. But yeah it's overpriced.

I do like 300's but I want GM. I think the Civic looks like a ricer sorry. The Golf is a nice car but not for me. Need I repeat myself I said I need to go GM. As for the comment on repair bills, I was just giving BV $h!. I have no doubt the Jetta had alot of life left in it. But I want a GM car and the nearest V-Dub dealer is still 75 miles from me.

Also fun to drive to me is my Bonneville, so a GP GT or G5 would certainly be "fun" for me.

Edited by gm4life

That Civic is stock in appearance, but its a beast under the hood. I'd love to have a Supra, they're capable of putting up stupid hp numbers. Yet tragically, the one thing a 500hp Supra, a 700hp Supra and a 950hp Supra have in common is that they all run 12's.

I wouldn't call any of the cars in the poll fun to drive. With one exception, they're generic GM FWDers, and the one exception makes 63 fewer horsepower than a Camry V6.

That Civic is stock in appearance, but its a beast under the hood. I'd love to have a Supra, they're capable of putting up stupid hp numbers. Yet tragically, the one thing a 500hp Supra, a 700hp Supra and a 950hp Supra have in common is that they all run 12's.

I wouldn't call any of the cars in the poll fun to drive. With one exception, they're generic GM FWDers, and the one exception makes 63 fewer horsepower than a Camry V6.

Well fun to drive to me is my Bonneville SLE and my Impala would be what I call boring. So something closer to my Bonneville would be fun to me. Then again I haven't had a real car that was hoot to drive in a LONG time. As for the Supra no just no. The Golf is nice but not for me although I do respect them. The Civic would have something I call torque steer like crazy, but still is "too modified" for my taste, the big wing really takes away from it and silver window tinting. Had in had a factory or small "tail" and black tinted windows I might think differently. I would like a GM car as I only go to one GM dealer to get all my cars serviced. To me a Grand Prix GT with Magnasteer or a little G5/Cobalt with a 5spd. would be plenty fun for me. Keep in mind a new Camaro SS will be coming to someone in my family with in a few years.

Cobalt 11,000 miles on it, lots of life left in it. Jetta 82,000 miles on, it not nearly enough as much life left in it.

Where does "VW repair bills" work into that equation, again?

I, personally, think it's pretty funny that I've already spent more on repairs for the Cobalt than I did for my "unreliable and costly" Volkswagen that is 7 years older with 70,000 more miles on it. Wait... What? That can't be! I'm crazy. I must have made that up. I'm such a dirty, filthy, deceiving liar. I can completely understand your mindless, nonsensical retort at the realization of such. Clearly, GM rox ur sox and VW is teh loser!!!!!11!!!1!!1!

So, how 'bout that Yugo? I think it fits you perfectly. :P

Where does "VW repair bills" work into that equation, again?

I, personally, think it's pretty funny that I've already spent more on repairs for the Cobalt than I did for my "unreliable and costly" Volkswagen that is 7 years older with 70,000 more miles on it. Wait... What? That can't be! I'm crazy. I must have made that up. I'm such a dirty, filthy, deceiving liar. I can completely understand your mindless, nonsensical retort at the realization of such. Clearly, GM rox ur sox and VW is teh loser!!!!!11!!!1!!1!

So, how 'bout that Yugo? I think it fits you perfectly. :P

I have just heard horror stories from people I know. Having said that a neighbor down the street has a 2002 Passat 4Motion W8 and that think sounds sweet! I am a GM guy and that won't change, Satty you have found some nice Vette's but a GP GT would be fun to me and keep in mind my son will be driving it some too. He would be thrilled with a 01-02 GP Coupe and I actually can afford the insurance on that. With the Vette I am not so sure.

This is true, but his only reason for turning down some cars is because they "aren't GM" Seems silly igf the car itself is good regardless of who made it.

Also, you have a point, we're giving advice but each suggestion is met with a "but" including the GM cars.

So I say G2 then. It's epic EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pontiac_matiz.jpg

:pbjtime:

gm4life, my friend, I'm afraid you set yourself up for this one. This innocent thread posted by a GM fan has turned into a piranha feeding frenzy, and you're the hapless goat.

Listen up: the guy wants to stay loyal to GM with his car purchase. He wants to instill in his son a loyalty to GM products. He's a good man. All of your suggestions to stray from that are for naught, so cut the crap. It's HIS CHOICE, you rabblerousers!

That blue Si, no f@#king way would I buy a Honda with a modified engine... why spend all that money only to get rid of it so soon after? SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THAT.

The GTI? Check out those cataracts. It's got wear, too, and the photos are taken to try to avoid showing it... like the hole in the driver's seat.

The Supra? Another modified car. Stay away from cars with modified engines, especially when the seller admits the work was done recently.

gm4life, my friend, I'm afraid you set yourself up for this one. This innocent thread posted by a GM fan has turned into a piranha feeding frenzy, and you're the hapless goat.

Listen up: the guy wants to stay loyal to GM with his car purchase. He wants to instill in his son a loyalty to GM products. He's a good man. All of your suggestions to stray from that are for naught, so cut the crap. It's HIS CHOICE, you rabblerousers!

That blue Si, no f@#king way would I buy a Honda with a modified engine... why spend all that money only to get rid of it so soon after? SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THAT.

The GTI? Check out those cataracts. It's got wear, too, and the photos are taken to try to avoid showing it... like the hole in the driver's seat.

The Supra? Another modified car. Stay away from cars with modified engines, especially when the seller admits the work was done recently.

:word:

If a GM lifer wants to show his loyalty for GM on a GM website and instill said loyalty into his son, just let him do it.

gm4life: how about considering a mid-nineties Z28/Trans Am? You should be able to find a very clean example in your price range. As long as it hasn't been abused, it should last a long time. The LT1 is damn near bulletproof and can respond very well to even bolt on mods.

Thank you. I do want to stay loyal to GM for my next car even if it is USED. My son is already a GM man, maybe a loyal than me. I have had good luck with GM products, and grew up with them. I want my son and daughter to do the same. I make a choice to buy GM, my wife knows that, my son and daughter know that and my extended family/friends know that. I have a dealership in a small town 20 miles South of me that I TRUST, a dealership where I get treated with respect and honesty. A dealer that when I took my Impala after a small run-in with a snow-bank removed the dent for free. (Wasn't perfect but much better.) I didn't even ask them too, and when asked "how much" don't worry about, your a good customer. That is why I buy GM, hell my last two Pontiac's have come from different dealerships because I could get a much better price than at this little dealer. I always tell them what I am buying the car for and say can you come close? The response is honest, no but we'd love to service it and do warrenty work for you. My son or I plan to get the new Camaro from this dealer. Trust me that dealership doesn't sell alot of cars of have a big inventory, the service department is what keeps that dealer alive. Sure I have a loyality to GM, a great one to domestic cars and even larger one to the only dealership I have EVER trusted. It just so happens they service what I like, and that is GM products.

As for a CTS, my wife will most likely say no, she was never to excited about a Seville either. As for a V8-powered F-body great idea but I think I can hold off until someone in my family or I get a new SS.

The clear leader for me is a 01-03 Grand Prix GT, followed by the Cobalt/G5 and then Impala.

:word:

If a GM lifer wants to show his loyalty for GM on a GM website and instill said loyalty into his son, just let him do it.

gm4life: how about considering a mid-nineties Z28/Trans Am? You should be able to find a very clean example in your price range. As long as it hasn't been abused, it should last a long time. The LT1 is damn near bulletproof and can respond very well to even bolt on mods.

I do find it funny how we suggest so many NON-GM cars on a GM forum! Thanks for the support! As for the Z28/Trans Am I really like those cars but I am going to go "responsible" with FWD and a V6. But I never said I wouldn't do Flowmaster and an intake on it... :scratchchin: (A GP GT that is!) They tell me the 3.8's sound good with some work.

I tried. Look at that G2! :P

Technically, he says he wants 'such and such' quality in a car and we gave suggestions with said qualities. And I'm sorry, but saying car A has lots of life left in it while car B does not is just retarded. He mentioned 'repair costs' and that was clearly countered with fact. If he needs to see the receipts, I'll dig them out. I'll also dig out some receipts from all those "cheap to repair and reliable" GM products that has graced my family's driveway over the years. I'm sure more retarded excuses will be brought out for those as well. Reputations are about as reliable as stereotypes, especially when you bring bias into the mix.

Here, have a cookie.

:retard:

Edited by blackviper8891

I am not a blind man. I have owned vehicles other than GM, a Nissan and 4 VWs, all of which were good except for my blue '98 Beetle. But I will not begrudge a well-meaning GM fan because he is asking for us to make suggestions within a framework he supplies us. Uncool.

That G2 looks wicked with dark windows and alloys.

There are many fine non-GM automobiles out there. You've just got to open your mind up. And I did suggest a GM, the Corvette, maybe a little pricier than anything else, but so much appeal on so many levels.

I understand that but... I said it must be GM for my reason listed above 1.) the dealer/service department I like and trust and also 2.) I grew up with GM cars and always gravitated towards "there" products and 3.) I have had good luck with my GM cars. It will most likely be a Pontiac or Chevrolet this time around I am betting. (Almost always is!) I know I deserve some of this, but uhhh this is a GM forum after-all.

I thought it was a Polo at first because you cant see the badge.

You know how you guys always bitch about people buying Toyotas without looking at anything else? Same thing. Just sayin.....

I don't look some place else because I like what I have gotten from GM. Ain't no changing that.

I am not a blind man. I have owned vehicles other than GM, a Nissan and 4 VWs, all of which were good except for my blue '98 Beetle. But I will not begrudge a well-meaning GM fan because he is asking for us to make suggestions within a framework he supplies us. Uncool.

Do I have to post another picture of a G2? :P

Do you have a rear shot? I want to know if it has ribbed taillights.

The pics on the Pontiac Mexico website shows the rear, doesn't have ribbed lights...besides, Pontiac hasn't used that design cue in years....