Recent polls have shown a fifth of Americans can't locate the U.S. on a world map.

Satty

I use Latin all of the time, botanical nomenclature is always in Latin.

I never studied it as a language, but I need it if I want to communicate precisely in my field.

Do you just use/understand the botanical names, or do you speak the language fluently ?

-- -- -- -- --

I too like maps- I do a fair amount of amateur 'archeology' via Google Earth & others. I wish to hell we had had satellies snappin pics 50-100 years ago, tho. :wacko:

My buddy has a Tom-Tom Nav (or maybe it's another brand, IDK) - we were driving somewhere new and he turned it on- it was dead. I reminded him 'Map-Map never goes dead'.

Edited by balthazar

I hate hate it when every other word out of a person's mouth (usually girls) is "like".

A few years ago in an English class I wrote a paper in the style of a 16 year old girl speaking. "Um" and "like" were usewd quite a bit. It netted me an "A" and my instructor a headache. I cant find it right now, but it was pretty awesome.

Once you know Latin, it's a simple step to learn the Romance languages (Italian, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Romanian), etc ...

True.

I know some Spanish and can pick up meaning in some of the others.

It helps that language has always fascinated me and I tend to notice the interelationship of words in different languages.

It also helps that English is a mutt, and contains elements from many languages.