Shanghai 2009: Buick MPV Business Concept

the cx9 sells way better than the mpv did...at much higher prices....even tho the mpv has more utility. you just dont get it do you. its a style thing. which also explains why every mfr is ditching vans

LOL apparently you don't get it. MPV = Multi-Purpose Vehicle, not the old Mazda.

Since a visual aid is required, these are MPVs:

mazda5-facelift.jpg

getimagestartnews_ostufer.jpg

ford_galaxy.jpg

2113886-lg.jpg

Notice a pattern? Oh look, they all look like minivans. It's because they are minivans. They're mini-minivans.

Since the Buick MPV Business Concept is a concept MPV it's going to look like...wait for it...can you guess...you can do it...almost there...a MPV!

Could it use styling work? You bet, but it's going to look like a MPV one way or another because it is supposed to be a MPV.

I'm beyond apathetic. The way I feel is more akin to depression.

In fact, I don't even know why I'm posting about it. Maybe because this particular piece of $h! made me feel an emotion that I haven't felt in a while and only emo kids fake?

Maybe I feel rage, though, instead. Because I do have an urge to take a fat crap on the dashboard, piss in the gas tank, burn every interior surface with a Cuban cigar and a carton of Marlboros, then light it on fire and take another fat crap in the ashes.

It's a product that doesn't belong at Buick.

I hope when GM sells it stateside everyone equals it to a Terazza and laughs it off before buying a Mazda 5.

• Disagree 1

of those 4 vehicles, none sell here except the mazda5, which didn't sell in retail hardly at all until the 4 dollar gas.

if the mazda5 were to take over family transport, they would not offer the cx7 or cx9 which both sell for more $$$$/profit even though they both suck fuel. Mazda killed the MPV to sell the cx7/cx9 because they could sell more and at prices 10 grand higher, because they didnt look like minivans. the only reason they can sell the 5 here is because it doesnt need to anchor their lineup. its a complement.

Buick MPV. i thought you said 5 sedans would be fine for buick, now you're endorsing a blatant minivan? Well I guess you endorsed the TERRAZZA then.

fact remains that this thing needs crossover styling or closer to it to be successful in volume here. Maybe if they built em in china and shipped em over it would work as a niche vehicle....OH BUT WAIT....Gm doesn't know how to do niche.............

Besides, Buick will rebadge the VUe into RENDEZVOUX......which would sell better with a buick badge on it.

The Orlando may be a success here. A Buick MPV will not, as long as the Enclave is in the showroom and this thing smells like a minivan.

Edited by regfootball
  • Disagree 1

I'm beyond apathetic. The way I feel is more akin to depression.

In fact, I don't even know why I'm posting about it. Maybe because this particular piece of $h! made me feel an emotion that I haven't felt in a while and only emo kids fake?

Maybe I feel rage, though, instead. Because I do have an urge to take a fat crap on the dashboard, piss in the gas tank, burn every interior surface with a Cuban cigar and a carton of Marlboros, then light it on fire and take another fat crap in the ashes.

It's a product that doesn't belong at Buick.

I hope when GM sells it stateside everyone equals it to a Terazza and laughs it off before buying a Mazda 5.

I almost spit out my coffee!!!!!!!!! BUT I'm SMILING!!!!!!!!!! awesome post.

As far as vans go, it looks ok for a VAN, but we don't need another TERRAZZA.

perhaps this buick MPV could have the turbo ecotec and we could badge it 'GNX'......Buick Terrazza GNX......

any buick that would be a minivan should be a full size sienna competitor anyways.

Edited by regfootball
  • Disagree 1

And here we go...also cleaned up some mistakes I found.

Buick-MPV-Chop3.jpg

This looks much better, but I still see room for some improvement.

The more I look at it, the more the profile looks somewhat similar to the Venza. If GM would substitute the overall side window shape and reverse hinged rear passenger doors (which would somewhat eliminate the minivan effect) from the recent Meriva Concept on this and tone down some of the show car bling elements (the front to rear metal strip definitely needs to go), then Buick might have a winner on its hands (the rear styling needs to be more Enclave-esque; this would tone down the minivan effect as well). It would be a great addition to the brand's lineup for a sub-Enclave people mover that wouldn't directly overlap or compete with a GMC product. With some improvements, it definitely has some potential.

Actually, Buick could take the Meriva Concept profile, Buick-ize it, and adapt it to 3 different platforms in 3 different sizes to form a nice 3-tier people mover lineup (in addition to the brand's sedans, coupes, and hatchbacks). The front and rear styling of all three products would be an evolution of the beautiful elements found on the current Enclave: ventiports, prominent waterfall grille, rear window shape including the cut out for the Buick badge, and the chrome surround taillights. All three products would share the Meriva Concept's overall side window shape and reverse hinged rear passenger doors (which would be a Buick exclusive). The MPV lineup would look something like this:

* Rendezvous: Subcompact 5-passenger MPV on LWB Gamma.

* Bravura: Compact 6 passenger MPV on LWB Delta.

* Enclave: Next gen morphs into a 6 passenger midsize MPV on LWB Epsilon to better differentiate it from the Lambda based GMC Acadia CUV. The Epsilon based midsize MPV would be a Buick exclusive (Chevrolet will not get a version).

Picture Links:

* Meriva Concept MPV (front view): Visit My Website

* Meriva Concept MPV (side view): Visit My Website

* Meriva Concept MPV (back view): Visit My Website

* Meriva Concept (opened side doors): Visit My Website

* Buick Enclave (front view): Visit My Website

* Buick Enclave (back view): Visit My Website

* Source: NetCarShow

GMC would carry CUVs and 2 SUTs:

* Safari: FWD/AWD compact CUV. This would be a restyled and rebadged Vue with the 2.4L DI 4-cylinder engine only until the end of the model cycle for the Antara/Vue (which is rumored to not be replaced). If no replacement is planned, maybe GM can use its NUMMI arrangement to develop a next gen Safari on the next gen Corolla/Matrix platform (if it is AWD compatible like the current Matrix/Vibe). This version of the Safari would have styling influenced by the Chevrolet YGM1 Concept (which is much more SUV-like in appearance than the current Vibe), except that it would be fitted with GMC derived design cues. Since GM is looking for a future product for its NUMMI arrangement and GMC will need a sub-Terrain product to help the brand comply with future CAFE regulations, this arrangement seems to be a natural fit.

* Terrain: FWD/AWD midsize CUV on LWB Theta.

* Acadia: FWD/AWD large CUV on Lambda.

* Denali: RWD midsize 4-door SUT on Zeta. This would be a 4-door car-based SUT influenced by the Denali XT Concept. It would have a trick midgate arrangement like the current Avalanche/EXT. This vehicle would be a GMC exclusive. Chevrolet will carry a 2-door 2-seat SUT under the El Camino name (like the stillborn Pontiac G8 ST).

* Brigade: This would essentially be the next gen Avalanche/EXT SUT given to GMC as an exclusive (Chevrolet and Cadillac would no longer carry this vehicle). It would be built on an updated version of the current GMT900 platform. Chevrolet would focus on traditional truck buyers with its Silverado line. GMC would focus on niche truck buyers with its more upscale Brigade SUT.

Picture Links:

* Chevrolet YGM1 Concept: Visit My Website

* GMC Denali XT Concept: Visit My Website

Edited by cire

This looks much better, but I still see room for some improvement.

The more I look at it, the more the profile looks somewhat similar to the Venza. If GM would substitute the overall side window shape and reverse hinged rear passenger doors (which would somewhat eliminate the minivan effect) from the recent Meriva Concept on this and tone down some of the show car bling elements (the front to rear metal strip definitely needs to go), then Buick might have a winner on its hands (the rear styling needs to be more Enclave-esque; this would tone down the minivan effect as well). It would be a great addition to the brand's lineup for a sub-Enclave people mover that wouldn't directly overlap or compete with a GMC product. With some improvements, it definitely has some potential.

Actually, Buick could take the Meriva Concept profile, Buick-ize it, and adapt it to 3 different platforms in 3 different sizes to form a nice 3-tier people mover lineup (in addition to the brand's sedans, coupes, and hatchbacks). The front and rear styling of all three products would be an evolution of the beautiful elements found on the current Enclave: ventiports, prominent waterfall grille, rear window shape including the cut out for the Buick badge, and the chrome surround taillights. All three products would share the Meriva Concept's overall side window shape and reverse hinged rear passenger doors (which would be a Buick exclusive). The MPV lineup would look something like this:

* Rendezvous: Subcompact 5-passenger MPV on LWB Gamma.

* Bravura: Compact 6 passenger MPV on LWB Delta.

* Enclave: Next gen morphs into a 6 passenger midsize MPV on LWB Epsilon to better differentiate it from the Lambda based GMC Acadia CUV. The Epsilon based midsize MPV would be a Buick exclusive (Chevrolet will not get a version).

Picture Links:

* Meriva Concept MPV (front view): Visit My Website

* Meriva Concept MPV (side view): Visit My Website

* Meriva Concept MPV (back view): Visit My Website

* Meriva Concept (opened side doors): Visit My Website

* Buick Enclave (front view): Visit My Website

* Buick Enclave (back view): Visit My Website

GMC would carry CUVs and 2 SUTs:

* Safari: FWD/AWD compact CUV. This would be a restyled and rebadged Vue with the 2.4L DI 4-cylinder engine only until the end of the model cycle for the Antara/Vue (which is rumored to not be replaced). If no replacement is planned, maybe GM can use its NUMMI arrangement to develop a next gen Safari on the next gen Corolla/Matrix platform (if it is AWD compatible like the current Matrix/Vibe). This version of the Safari would have styling influenced by the Chevrolet YGM1 Concept (which is much more SUV-like in appearance than the current Vibe), except that it would be fitted with GMC derived design cues. Since GM is looking for a future product for its NUMMI arrangement and GMC will need a sub-Terrain product to help the brand comply with future CAFE regulations, this arrangement seems to be a natural fit.

* Terrain: FWD/AWD midsize CUV on LWB Theta.

* Acadia: FWD/AWD large CUV on Lambda.

* Denali: RWD midsize 4-door SUT on Zeta. This would be a 4-door car-based SUT influenced by the Denali XT Concept. It would have a trick midgate arrangement like the current Avalanche/EXT. This vehicle would be a GMC exclusive. Chevrolet will carry a 2-door 2-seat SUT under the El Camino name (like the stillborn Pontiac G8 ST).

* Brigade: This would essentially be the next gen Avalanche/EXT SUT given to GMC as an exclusive (Chevrolet and Cadillac would no longer carry this vehicle). It would be built on an updated version of the current GMT900 platform. Chevrolet would focus on traditional truck buyers with its Silverado line. GMC would focus on niche truck buyers with its more upscale Brigade SUT.

Picture Links:

This is basically the equivalent of screaming at the top of your lungs at someone in a deep coma. They aren't going to hear you, even if you do scream through a PA system with the volume cranked up to 11 with the knobs ripped off.

This is basically the equivalent of screaming at the top of your lungs at someone in a deep coma. They aren't going to hear you, even if you do scream through a PA system with the volume cranked up to 11 with the knobs ripped off.

How True! LOL