Suspicious landlord...

I'm looking for a new place to live and went to see a condo the other day. The landlord, Sanjay, has quite a nice place. The first problem was the price. His ad said $1249. When I got there, there was a surprise $150 home owners association fee. Almost every other place I've seen, the owner pays that fee. Sanjay wants to pass it on. Whatever, strike one.

Now the BIG problem. He starts asking me if I'll be living there alone or will I be living with my "fiance or girlfriend." In the 10 mins or so I talk to him, he brings it up 3 times and always uses the words "fiance or girlfriend." The way he said it felt like he was fishing...basically to make sure I wasn't gay. Maybe Im just being paranoid?

Anyhow in the 10 mins we talk, he decides I'd be a great fit to rent his place and he really wants me to take it. He doesn't feel good about the prospects that have come to see it. He doesn't want younger guys or families in there tearing up his place...which is fine. I tell him its too much with the surprise, extra $150. He says "OK, how about $1349." I say I'll think about it. Email him the next day and say I'll pass for now. Then he says "OK, $1299." I haven't replied since.

Im just envisioning him coming over all all the time to "check in" and make sure his place is OK. Hah that could be interesting if my boyfriend happened to be over at the time.

What to do...what to do....

Might as well get the party started with a bang and invite the BF to sign the papers with you. ;)

(Yep, I'm a vengeful ass)

But seriously... Better to get these things out in the open now. Before you sign a lease or anything. That way you can save yourself a whole lot of potential drama in the future.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Sigh. Prices are so different here vs. most of the nation.

Chris, if you really like the place, get it. However, he sounds like he'll be a PITA.

You are in luck. Thanks to Federal Fair Housing Standards you are now due $10,000 (or more). Please check out http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/ and let them know the name and such of the Landlord. It is AGAINST THE LAW to ask about familial status.

I used to do training for the Property Management firm I worked for on this very issue. GO GET YOUR FREE MONEY!!

You are in luck. Thanks to Federal Fair Housing Standards you are now due $10,000 (or more). Please check out http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/ and let them know the name and such of the Landlord. It is AGAINST THE LAW to ask about familial status.

I used to do training for the Property Management firm I worked for on this very issue. GO GET YOUR FREE MONEY!!

In that case...

Chris, can I have a $5000 loan? :D

(I need to put a down payment on another car)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

What Is Prohibited?

In the Sale and Rental of Housing: No one may take any of the following actions based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap:

* Refuse to rent or sell housing

* Refuse to negotiate for housing

* Make housing unavailable

* Deny a dwelling

* Set different terms, conditions or privileges for sale or rental of a dwelling

* Provide different housing services or facilities

* Falsely deny that housing is available for inspection, sale, or rental

* For profit, persuade owners to sell or rent (blockbusting) or

* Deny anyone access to or membership in a facility or service (such as a multiple listing service) related to the sale or rental of housing.

If You Think Your Rights Have Been Violated

HUD is ready to help with any problem of housing discrimination. If you think your rights have been violated, the Housing Discrimination Complaint Form is available for you to download, complete and return, or complete online and submit, or you may write HUD a letter, or telephone the HUD Office nearest you. You have one year after an alleged violation to file a complaint with HUD, but you should file it as soon as possible.

What to Tell HUD:

* Your name and address

* The name and address of the person your complaint is against (the respondent)

* The address or other identification to the housing involved

* A short description to the alleged violation (the event that caused you to believe your rights were violated)

* The date(s) to the alleged violation

Complaint Form

Hah well...thats interesting...

I dont know if he's denied me anything yet though. I mean he has no idea I'm gay. He still really wants me to rent his place.

Hah well...thats interesting...

I dont know if he's denied me anything yet though. I mean he has no idea I'm gay. He still really wants me to rent his place.

He doesn't have to deny you . . . he just has to make the comment. The fact that he made mention of people he didn't want to rent to opens up the door for a fair housing law suit. Though I generally am pro-landlord, this is a case where a person should be sued to learn a lesson, and prevent such things in the future.

I'm looking for a new place to live and went to see a condo the other day. The landlord, Sanjay, has quite a nice place. The first problem was the price. His ad said $1249. When I got there, there was a surprise $150 home owners association fee. Almost every other place I've seen, the owner pays that fee. Sanjay wants to pass it on. Whatever, strike one.

Now the BIG problem. He starts asking me if I'll be living there alone or will I be living with my "fiance or girlfriend." In the 10 mins or so I talk to him, he brings it up 3 times and always uses the words "fiance or girlfriend." The way he said it felt like he was fishing...basically to make sure I wasn't gay. Maybe Im just being paranoid?

Anyhow in the 10 mins we talk, he decides I'd be a great fit to rent his place and he really wants me to take it. He doesn't feel good about the prospects that have come to see it. He doesn't want younger guys or families in there tearing up his place...which is fine. I tell him its too much with the surprise, extra $150. He says "OK, how about $1349." I say I'll think about it. Email him the next day and say I'll pass for now. Then he says "OK, $1299." I haven't replied since.

Im just envisioning him coming over all all the time to "check in" and make sure his place is OK. Hah that could be interesting if my boyfriend happened to be over at the time.

What to do...what to do....

FWIW- He may just be trying to figure if you are settled down, as in not a wild bachelor throwing lavish parties playing loud music into the we hours and pissing off the condo association.

That's just a possibility of course.

What Is Prohibited?

In the Sale and Rental of Housing: No one may take any of the following actions based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap:

* Refuse to rent or sell housing

* Refuse to negotiate for housing

* Make housing unavailable

* Deny a dwelling

* Set different terms, conditions or privileges for sale or rental of a dwelling

* Provide different housing services or facilities

* Falsely deny that housing is available for inspection, sale, or rental

* For profit, persuade owners to sell or rent (blockbusting) or

* Deny anyone access to or membership in a facility or service (such as a multiple listing service) related to the sale or rental of housing.

If You Think Your Rights Have Been Violated

HUD is ready to help with any problem of housing discrimination. If you think your rights have been violated, the Housing Discrimination Complaint Form is available for you to download, complete and return, or complete online and submit, or you may write HUD a letter, or telephone the HUD Office nearest you. You have one year after an alleged violation to file a complaint with HUD, but you should file it as soon as possible.

What to Tell HUD:

* Your name and address

* The name and address of the person your complaint is against (the respondent)

* The address or other identification to the housing involved

* A short description to the alleged violation (the event that caused you to believe your rights were violated)

* The date(s) to the alleged violation

Complaint Form

I don't see how this quite fits the situation--I didn't see anything about a housing denial, in fact quite the opposite. If anything, I saw a lack of tact and potential homophobia, but most likely just nosiness.

Chris: Trust your instinct that this guy will be obnoxious. He asked the question HOW MANY TIMES??? Good grief...

Political correctness is not my strong point, so...

...a lot of immigrant East Indians are very mercantile by nature, so they enjoy the "art of wheeling and dealing." To an American, it can be annoying. And it's not just them, it's the Med, the Middle East and North Africa, in general.

I've had "issues" with East Indians in:

1) a vitamin shop where she keeps trying to upsell me...and I don't buy

2) a dry cleaner where he changed the price upon arrival from when I called...it was only 50 cents per suit...but I made a scene upon picking them up and made sure others in line behind me heard the argument

3) a hotel owner in a chain with an 800 # who quoted $ 5 higher with AAA than what the 800 # told me...I didn't stay there

The best one:

I was driving from Miami to Tampa about 8 years ago and pulled over to a motel area toward dusk. I went in and asked for the price. I made a face. He must have been the son of the owner who said to me, in that hilarious up-and-down accent:

"You vill not find a chipper room anyvhere in dees area." (la la la la la la la sound)

He was too pushy to be taken seriously. I drove a block down the street and found another chain motel room for $ 5 less.

I don't think it's based on personal characteristics, he's just pushy, nosy and will be high maintenance.

Edited by trinacriabob

Working with Indians, they can be very pushy. Also with the Economy right now being all over the map, he could be a bit stressed making a mortgage payment on a place that is not rented out.

Over all I tend to go with the gut feeling, if you feel he is being too nosey and will be dropping by all the time to check on things then you should just pass and find another place.