Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mustang84

Mercury Capri coming to US 2010?

32 posts in this topic

Apparently this is from Motor Trend

History seems to be repeating itself. The original Capri was sold as a "baby Mustang" for the European market, and made its first appearance in the U.S. as a Mercury. Now that Ford intends to revive the Capri name, it seems certain that it will also be coming to the U.S. as (you guessed it) a Mercury.

The new Capri concept is being prepared to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the name. Now that Mercury will become the small car arm of Lincoln, it only seems fitting that it will receive a premium version of a small European car. The concept will be developed on the next-generation global Focus platform and Ford Visos will serve as a muse of inspiration for the styling part. The first production version of the concept will arrive in the US market by 2010.

Ford Visos

2003FordVisosConcept1.jpg

visos05vi.jpg

Wow, guess who called it when Ford announced the Euros were coming to America. But no, I HAD to be wrong because Mercury is worthless...or something. 8)

It's a blend of original Euro Capri and Volvo C30. Also, something about the quarter glass reminds me of a Rambler Marlin. I like it, but would prefer more of a coupe look, like its ancestor. I am very happy to see this and hope it's true.

When was the concept made? The front end seems slightly dated.

Maybe that's why it doesn't look like utter crap .

The "me too" look of high nose/long headlights is sooo played out and outright ugly.

Huge thumbs up for this design!

"The Sexy European".

A cousin had a red one with black vinyl roof (manually cranked) and the 2.6 litre V6.

Purchased from Green Lincoln-Mercury in September of '73.

They were prone to rust and once out of warranty were given to electro-mechanical gremlins. i.e.: Diode replacement for the alternator which were subject to failure from being exposed to under-hood heat. Wheel cylinders. Start at one corner and continue 'round and 'round in an endless cycle. Slop in the rack and pinion (manual steering). She had that rebuilt twice.

But they were very nice looking.

The example shown here's a pretty faithful update to the form of the original.

[edit: Also reminiscent of James Bond's DB-5 Aston Martin, to me at least]

Edited by longtooth

That car looks totally cool and would make a badass Mercury. I think I may have found my "fallback" next car.

That car looks totally cool and would make a badass Mercury. I think I may have found my "fallback" next car.

Yes it damn well does.

I would rather see it take its design inspiration from the Reflex Concept instead. It was much sexier than the somewhat awkward Visos:

Link: Visit My Website

Source: NetCarShow

+1 on that.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Visos...I don't hate it but i don't really like it. The back is s awkward and a bit disjointed and the nose looks plain.

I like what Ford has been doing lately. If GM goes under then Ford is my brand, or maybe I will switch over to Ford ayway. Who knows?

The Visos is pretty cool looking, although not fond of the squircle headlamps. Never understood Ford's fascination with squircles.

It's been six years, and I still think this should be productionized:

MessengerConcept05-vi.jpg

A fantastic halo for the brand, and infinitely better looking than the Mustang off of which it is based.

The Visos concept was from 2003, before European pedestrian crash standards. I have a feeling the production model won't be as slender and sexy. :(

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0