Cutbacks and your car....

With things looking rough, everybody is looking for ways to cut back.

At this point, even our cars will be affected...

I've started a few things....

Cheaper oil and air filters (gotta love private brands-both are made by Wix)

Changing my own brakes and rotors (something I have not tried yet)

I got lucky and found some good deals on wax (mothers) to clean them up.

I'm trying hard not to cheap out on the cars....gotta shop smarter. 8)

Is there anything you guys are doing on cutting back?

Only thing I'll cut back is I'll start doing more of the non-warranty work myself (my ext. waranty goes to 7/70K bumper-bumper). I'll still get OEM quality or better equipment for it. I'll go to work in a burlap sack and eat spam every night before I cheap out on the parts I use for my car. I have a set of AC Delco cross drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic-metallic pads waiting for a free Saturday. I'll be adding rear shoes and front struts to that list soon.

Also, I don't qualify finding a deal on a quality product as cutting back...I just call it shopping smarter.

I go OEM or better besides things like hoses or lifetime guaranteed parts (like the Shadow's waterpump from Autozone).

Or I get things like interior trim and such from the junkyard.

Cutbacks? That would be assuming I spent much money on my car in the first place. Besides repairs and maintenance, zilch has been spent on the Cobalt thus far. Besides a set a floormats and some little things, the same goes for the Jetta as well. You can't really cutback on that sort of stuff without harming your car.

If anything I've been doing a lot of catch-up on the small repairs on the 500SEC.

Today on my lunch break I finally disassembled, repaired & reassembled the

glove box door, including the hand-cut wood trim... & I added a Mercedes benz

emblem (the aluminum silver-dollar style one) to the outer egde.

Cutbacks? That would be assuming I spent much money on my car in the first place. Besides repairs and maintenance, zilch has been spent on the Cobalt thus far. Besides a set a floormats and some little things, the same goes for the Jetta as well. You can't really cutback on that sort of stuff without harming your car.

That is the nice thing about new cars....

I didn't really cut back at all. Still using Mobil 1 oil and Filter on the truck (costs me about $45.00 every oil change). Ive always done the mechanical work either by myself or with my dads help. Always washed my own vehicle too. I have cut back on accessory buying though.

Saving money by not buying a new one. Though I'm very tempted to buy a new car, but since I don't have an extra garage space currently (wouldn't want anything outside in AZ) coupled w/ the uncertainty of the economy, I'd rather keep my Jeep going another year or two. Going to go get an oil & filter change and new battery on Saturday (the first 100 degree days have weakened my 4 1/2 yr old battery).

Edited by moltar

>>"Cheaper oil and air filters (gotta love private brands-both are made by Wix)"<<

While the buy-in price may be lower, WIX quality is excellent, so there- it's not 'cheaper' at all.

Haven't cut back on anything, and I continue to do what work I can & have time for. Last weekend; wife's GP - new rear rotors. Oil & trans fluid change due on the 2500HD- no time right now.

If anything I've been doing a lot of catch-up on the small repairs on the 500SEC.

Today on my lunch break I finally disassembled, repaired & reassembled the

glove box door, including the hand-cut wood trim... & I added a Mercedes benz

emblem (the aluminum silver-dollar style one) to the outer egde.

You either have a really long lunch break or a turbocharger built into you somewhere.

Either way, I envy you, sir.

I didn't really cut back at all. Still using Mobil 1 oil and Filter on the truck (costs me about $45.00 every oil change). Ive always done the mechanical work either by myself or with my dads help. Always washed my own vehicle too. I have cut back on accessory buying though.

Still using M1 for the wife's Cav, but I have changed the filter, as I used to buy Wix, Napa Golds, or M1s.....

I've switched to partmaster filters, which are made by Wix, but they only cost 4-6 bucks...

This weekend's oil change should be about 30 bucks (instead of 40)

>>"Cheaper oil and air filters (gotta love private brands-both are made by Wix)"<<

While the buy-in price may be lower, WIX quality is excellent, so there- it's not 'cheaper' at all.

Haven't cut back on anything, and I continue to do what work I can & have time for. Last weekend; wife's GP - new rear rotors. Oil & trans fluid change due on the 2500HD- no time right now.

Yep, and the oil is in such better shape longer with the Wix than the delcos...

Her car suffered through a nasty winter, a tad over 4k miles, and the oil still looks decent.... 8)

No change. Basically all repairs are covered under extended warranty until 107K anyways. Basic maintenance (oil changes, brakes, etc.) and the like are still all done at the dealership. The service I get there is hard to match so no reason for me to go elsewhere or attempt to do it myself when I don't have to time or desire.

My vehicles are paid for, meaning I have ample funds for any need that may arise. And seeing as how I need the Burb seven days a week, I would never think of giving it anything but the best quality stuff possible. So far, it's returned the favor by never letting me down.

Right now it's more about a lack of time than funds. Oil change for the Passat was due 500 miles ago, and I have a cabinet full of synthetic oil and filters I stocked up on when they were cheap. Handling dirty oil is such a messy PITA.

No. Not really. While I am always scouting for deals (see ocn's comments on how cheap I am), I still keep my quasi-absurd maintenace schedule (oil changes every 2,500, trans fluid every 20,000 and tune-ups every 30,000 to 40,000, regardless of fluid color or spark plug condition) for the Regal. In fact, tomorrow AM it gets its oil changed. I feel that I'm economizing by stretching out the car's longevity.

Or he's done it before and can do it blindfolded. I can take my entire dash apart and put it back together in about 20 minutes. :P

Lmao! Sounds like you have too much time onn your hands DF!

More like I'm not paying someone $260 to do it for me just to change a light bulb when I could do it myself for free. :wink:

Hell yea I don't blame you one bit for that.

When it comes to expenses, I'm more likely to ramp up my appearance care with regular cleaning and waxing. I'll be moving to synthetics for them as well. I'll certainly be doing a better job than the GM dealership when it comes to scoping out preventative maintenance. The last time I took the car in for an oil change, I asked them to perform a semi-annual inspection before its 5-year-long warranty expired and check out a couple of muffler heat-shield clamps that were loose and causing a bit of a rattle at certain RPMs. My wife gets the car back and tells me that she thought she could still hear the rattle. It turns out they must not have even checked the clamps because I had to replace two completely corroded ones myself with stainless steel hose clamps. They'll probably last longer anyway.

I just picked up my 3.5 HO engine and plan to go get an oil cooler. What is this "cost cutting" horse &#036;h&#33; you speak of? :smilewide:

Ohh....my....god.....

I LOVE the 3.5, wonderful motor.

Methinks I'll be jealous of the finished project, DF. And the pics in your sig look good!

Chris

No changes here, whatsoever. The G8 still gets daily cleaned in between the bigger weekly washes and depending on weather, the tank still filled with Shell 93 Premium to go with the custom tune, and all service will be dealer done--when that time comes. And I'm, uh, entertaining a few more things in the way of accessories, suspension bits, etc.

As for the others, my brother's Regal is actually the opposite, with him doing everything from undercoating to new trim pieces here and there to a new gas tank and having sections of the frame replaced--daily, really, it's always something. No slowing down and a shed full of parts. Dad's Subie and Cadillac are, as always, "as they are" and ignored, and mom's Malibu is essentially sitting for a while as she's stuck at home recovering from spine surgery.

Edited by caddycruiser

Nah, pontiacs don't suffer, they fight back. 8)

Exactly, and I am even taking my Bonneville in to have the fender re-painted and a dent popped out. That won't be cheap but it will be worth is to make it look right again. It happend this past week and need to fix it, but won't happen until June prolly. I just wish I knew how it happend.

Exactly, and I am even taking my Bonneville in to have the fender re-painted and a dent popped out. That won't be cheap but it will be worth is to make it look right again. It happend this past week and need to fix it, but won't happen until June prolly. I just wish I knew how it happend.

Sorry to hear about the Bonnie being injured. Someone ran into the wife's car at Columbus State the other week and drove off without leaving a note.

People are idiots.

Chris

Ohh....my....god.....

I LOVE the 3.5, wonderful motor.

Methinks I'll be jealous of the finished project, DF. And the pics in your sig look good!

Chris

Thank you. 8)

I can't wait to get cracking on the conversion. Originally it looked like it was going to be done by my mechanic, but he said I could help out if I wanted...so hell yes of course. :D

Next up are new wheels and tires and a paint job. The a cold ait intake and dual exhaust...in no particular order (wheels and tires probably first, since I need tires anyway).

Cost cutting can kiss my ass. :P

Sorry to hear about the Bonnie being injured. Someone ran into the wife's car at Columbus State the other week and drove off without leaving a note.

People are idiots.

Chris

Indeed, well I can't get too worked up over it until summer when she gets fixed. In the mean time I have bigger fish to fry. Sorry to hear about your wifes ride getting hit.

Thank you. 8)

I can't wait to get cracking on the conversion. Originally it looked like it was going to be done by my mechanic, but he said I could help out if I wanted...so hell yes of course. :D

Next up are new wheels and tires and a paint job. The a cold ait intake and dual exhaust...in no particular order (wheels and tires probably first, since I need tires anyway).

Cost cutting can kiss my ass. :P

I didn't know you could even get a CAI for an Intrepid.