Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

I rode in a brand new Corolla XLE yesterday

Is this REALLY what everyone is so excited about? Is this REALLY 'markedly' better than the domestics?!?! LOL... What a scam!!!

I mean, I know the Corolla is no star and it certainly isn't top of the class. But people buy them in DROVES only to think that they're somehow a superior offering to GM/Ford/Chrysler.

I guess perception really is everything.

The entire car screamed *CHEAP!!!* to me... I mean, talk about a sea of hard, mismatched plastics! Even the design and layout looked like something out of Fisher-Price. Gawdy buttons and Rubbermaid controls... A sea of gray on light gray with little or horrible texture. Fake woould that looked like it had been airbrushed.

I'm just floored...

One interesting note... The windshield wiper was flopping/rattling with the wind. I'm thinking, this car hasn't even got 2,000 miles on it and what a blatant and obvious defect.

Oh, and I also enjoyed how Toyota slapped a big black strip pf paint on the B-pillar to hide the fact that the door don't exactly meet. LOL. PERFECT.

This just makes me that much more pissed off about the position the domestics are in. I almost hope they DO comeback with 3-4 strong brands just so they can TIME WARP these asian assholes on the technology/fit front and gain customers back.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My gram and pap used to have one a while back then it got repossed. I couldn't even fit in the damn thing, and you are right it was pretty cheap.

Haven't ridden in one of the newer ones. I have a friend w/ a '93 and a couple others w/ 2000 vintage or so. Best memory was going out to lunch, 4 people in an '00, and myself and another guy that were riding in the back having to get out so the car would clear a parking lot speed bump..

One guy I worked w/ for years drove a '99 Corolla, but he recently stepped up to an ES350.

Edited by moltar

Really sad cars....

Chris

Yes, just purely functional A-B transport modules. No character or personality at all. But, that's what it seems the public prefers today...

Edited by moltar

Well there's a surprise, FOG doesn't like a Corolla. :rolleyes::P

I haven't remotely liked them since the `93 -`97 model, and even then I prefer the Prizm (except for a few functional aspects).

The masses buy them because the Corolla has long been the stalwart of cheap, practical, economical, and reliable. And hey, you put it up against what the Domestics had to offer up until recently and it was 100% accurate. It earned the reputation and won't soon loose it.

Well there's a surprise, FOG doesn't like a Corolla. :rolleyes::P

I haven't remotely liked them since the `93 -`97 model, and even then I prefer the Prizm (except for a few functional aspects).

The masses buy them because the Corolla has long been the stalwart of cheap, practical, economical, and reliable. And hey, you put it up against what the Domestics had to offer up until recently and it was 100% accurate. It earned the reputation and won't soon loose it.

I wonder how they can make it so crappy and its still reliable? :scratchchin:

Corolla is a penalty box for the stupid.

I'd hardly call the Corolla owners I know 'stupid', they tend to be very practical but frugal people... I know people w/ 6 figure incomes that drive Corollas. They just aren't car enthusiasts, that's all. Nothing wrong with that. Some of the sharpest techies I've worked with over the years drive Corollas, Civics, Camrys, and Accords.

Edited by moltar

Some peopel just think that everyone should have V8's and RWD and if they don't they are lesser people because of it. Friend of mine has a `93 Corolla. Why? Because he just wants cheap transportation so he can put money into his motorcycle.

But he's a lesser person because he is more into motorcycles than cars.

We have the Prizm because it was basically given to Jessica, and is frugal, fairly reliable, cheap t insure, and serves as a commuter car while say, my car is in pieces as I build it up.

But We're stupid.

Hey I've got few...

People who live in the past are stupid

People who only buy American made even if it's not made in America and the product is inferior are stupid.

People who are too blinded by their emotional attachments to brands to see the bigger picture are stupid.

See? I can be an asshole too.

:angry:

Hey I've got few...

People who only buy American made even if it's not made in America and the product is inferior are stupid.

People who are too blinded by their emotional attachments to brands to see the bigger picture are stupid.

Well, you managed to get ONE sentence correct above!

Couldn't resist, sorry. :neenerneener:

What does that make people who support American workers by buying Canadian-built CUVs with Chinese-made engines?

And the current Corolla is an ok vehicle, better than the Cobalt, thats for damn sure.

I don't personally like the current Corolla...it looks like a melted version of the last gen, which looks like a bloated version of the gen before that.

I just really despise how people think that because you own a type of car you're a lesser person.

Not everyone wants 68973421325324.6 horsepower from 98 cylinders and a 2 speed manual, 6 frames under the body and with no pillars.

Or maybe they have one already and just want a daily driver?

Define "crappy". If you define them as crappy than the Cavilers were "utter $h!"...which is pretty true.

I agree with the Cavalier comment 100% GF had one, and that will be the LAST one she EVER has. Crappy as in cheap materials and being put together, kinda like the Cavalier... :)

Hey I've got few...

:soapbox: <--------------------- Lmao! Just messing with ya! :P

I agree with the Cavalier comment 100% GF had one, and that will be the LAST one she EVER has. Crappy as in cheap materials and being put together, kinda like the Cavalier... :)

See, and now look at it this way. The Corolla was already better in the mid 90's than teh Cavalier, and then as the Corolla was redesigned twice, the Cavalier was only given a half assed MCE and left to rot.

So yeah, it certainly earned a reputation for being a better car...now the Domestics have to work through years of that to be seen by average people as being quality cars. The problem is what they offer doesn't even match that yet. The Cobalt is better in SS for, but what about the regular models? There's the ugly Focus, and Dodge doesn't even have a small sedan. Let's not even get started on the trying to beat the Civic. They are funky but excellent, quality small cars.

It'll take until the Cruze and new Focus come here to hopefully, finally, beat them...but then they have decades of perception issue to work through.

FOG's assessment doesn't surprise me. I have ridden in several Toyotas and found them all to be cheap feeling and rattly during the drive. The last Toyota I drov was a Tundra Limited. It stalled twice on the test drive. That's not gonna make a sale for many people. The Corolla is just not my type of vehicle, and if I was shopping in that market, I would consider the Mazda 3, and VW GTI.

See, and now look at it this way. The Corolla was already better in the mid 90's than teh Cavalier, and then as the Corolla was redesigned twice, the Cavalier was only given a half assed MCE and left to rot.

So yeah, it certainly earned a reputation for being a better car...now the Domestics have to work through years of that to be seen by average people as being quality cars. The problem is what they offer doesn't even match that yet. The Cobalt is better in SS for, but what about the regular models? There's the ugly Focus, and Dodge doesn't even have a small sedan. Let's not even get started on the trying to beat the Civic. They are funky but excellent, quality small cars.

It'll take until the Cruze and new Focus come here to hopefully, finally, beat them...but then they have decades of perception issue to work through.

Yup.

Hey I've got few...

Obviously.

FOG's assessment doesn't surprise me. I have ridden in several Toyotas and found them all to be cheap feeling and rattly during the drive. The last Toyota I drov was a Tundra Limited. It stalled twice on the test drive. That's not gonna make a sale for many people. The Corolla is just not my type of vehicle, and if I was shopping in that market, I would consider the Mazda 3, and VW GTI.

If I was shopping in that market I would consider either a G5, Mazda 3, or something from Nissan. Now if I wanted something a little bigger, but not much it would be a Dodge Avenger. I think they are an awesome looking car.

Funny thing is that the Prizm has no rattles in it even after spending half of its life on dirt and gravel roads, and the rest in our lovely, pot hole ridden streets in NE.

I would never shop for a new Corolla, I too would go for the VW or the Mazda...because that's more my cup of tea (maybe the Civic coupe and possible the Forte Koup if it drives well). I would also consider a Cruze if it's not dumbed down for us.

However for small cars I want a Fiesta.

This makes me think..did Pontiac in Canada have a version of the Corolla or Prizm?

Nein...

and Camino I'm starting to think that unless you plan to keep the car you're buying indefinitely, and with depreciation the way it is today It's almost stupid to plunk down money on a new car anyway... Why pay 50k$ for a car that 8mos and 14k mi later is 33k$

Nein...

and Camino I'm starting to think that unless you plan to keep the car you're buying indefinitely, and with depreciation the way it is today It's almost stupid to plunk down money on a new car anyway... Why pay 50k$ for a car that 8mos and 14k mi later is 33k$

99.9% of the time you are correct, of course.

But some cars are worth it.

The Corolla isn't one of them.

Since the Euro Focus was mentioned, I am STILL disappointed that it was not brought over here. It's a sweet lookin car, especially the ST model.

What does the Euro Focus look like? I really like the US version. Id consider it also.

Funny thing is that the Prizm has no rattles in it even after spending half of its life on dirt and gravel roads, and the rest in our lovely, pot hole ridden streets in NE.

I would never shop for a new Corolla, I too would go for the VW or the Mazda...because that's more my cup of tea (maybe the Civic coupe and possible the Forte Koup if it drives well). I would also consider a Cruze if it's not dumbed down for us.

However for small cars I want a Fiesta.

Fiesta is very nice! I think that one will be a winner for Ford. I hope the next Euro Focus comes here, too. I think they will be winners.

Fiesta is very nice! I think that one will be a winner for Ford. I hope the next Euro Focus comes here, too. I think they will be winners.

Ford confirmed the next gen Focus would be global, so yes we are finally getting it. :)

As long as they keep the Fiesta looking and handling exactly liek teh Euro Fiesta, a 5 door is my feature parked next to my future Challenger R/T.

But oh wait! I ant a small car! I must be STOOPEED

Nein...

Assess the relative 'value' of our currency or the prevailing currency wherever you're living.

In its essence it remains a means to an end. Has an abstract value based upon prevailing factors.

Sometimes it is plentiful and at other times scarce.

Then consider the fluctuating value against the backdrop of everything in-play across the globe today.

Hard to nail the relative value of anything.

Ford confirmed the next gen Focus would be global, so yes we are finally getting it. :)

As long as they keep the Fiesta looking and handling exactly liek teh Euro Fiesta, a 5 door is my feature parked next to my future Challenger R/T.

Lol buy whatever you want. I prefer a Pickup and/or a Muscle car, but I mostly like anything that looks sharp and thats not a Toyota.

When will the US be getting it? 2010 or 2011?

As long as they keep the Fiesta looking and handling exactly liek teh Euro Fiesta, a 5 door is my feature parked next to my future Challenger R/T

With the Intrepid (+ another 60k) under a cover in the garage I hope ;)

I wouldn't mind a Euro-Focus Cabrio either.