Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

[Updated] Pontiac Officially Dead in 2010 as of 04/27/2009

Blaming this on the government is flat out dumb. GM has been mismanaging its eleventy-billion brands for decades, they were going to have to do something sooner or later.

Yes...GM's enemy has long been itself, going back to cretins like Roger Smith and the infinite # of look-alike, mediocre FWD models of the '80s.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blaming this on the government is flat out dumb. GM has been mismanaging its eleventy-billion brands for decades, they were going to have to do something sooner or later.

Ah theirs plenty of blame to go around...

One good quote over there:

"It is truly sad. To commemorate Pontiac's passing, GM should take every G3 in stock. haul each one to the top of the Ren Center, and throw it off the roof. That'd symbolize both the death of Pontiac and what killed it off."

Even better, have each one driven off the roof by a board member or other GM exec. It would be fitting.

It is here too, but this makes it very clear that nothing offical has been said. Well I have come to accept it but this what you get when you take government money.

Autoblog Pontiac to be dead on Monday

That source is quoted from the same sourceless source as the original story. Jeez Louise!

That is not new information. Put your hand down and sit quietly with your hands folded.

One good quote over there:

"It is truly sad. To commemorate Pontiac's passing, GM should take every G3 in stock. haul each one to the top of the Ren Center, and throw it off the roof. That'd symbolize both the death of Pontiac and what killed it off."

lmao! yea that sums it up.

Pardon my language, but aside from jobs, the economy, and all that, what is really left of GM for me to care about?

Everything that has been any good lately has been killed early or cancelled entirely.

I suppose that I no longer care what happens to GM, and even though I still root for Chrysler, if they don't do something "magic" I'll no longer care for them either.

It's a sad, sad day.

I feel the same exact way. I'm still chompin at the bit whether or not I should sell the '68 camaro in it's unfinished current state for a new Camaro SS. You know any future plans of it will be canceled, and even the life of the current model may be cut short.

At least we still have Ford.

I feel the same exact way. I'm still chompin at the bit whether or not I should sell the '68 camaro in it's unfinished current state for a new Camaro SS. You know any future plans of it will be canceled, and even the life of the current model may be cut short.

At least we still have Ford.

Finish the '68.

If you want a Pontiac so bad just do what GM has been doing and take a Chevy and slap a Pontiac emblem on it. LOL!

I do not like what the goverment is doing either but Pontiacs trouble started in and around 1979. If Pontiac was to have been saved the changes needed to come long ago. When They lost their identity and just basically offered what Chevy offered was bad enough but when Chevy started to offer more perfromance the writing was on the wall.

Let face it they only have two cars worth a damn and both are limited sales. The G8 could be made into a Caprice and live on as a Chevy with little drama. The Solstice is cool but is it making enough money to warrant it to live on as a Chevy for the 4 more years it was set to live?

As for the rest of the cars let em die as they are not even worthy of a Chevy badge.

It is time to wake up and realize GM is that bad off and Pontiac was really that damaged. If you were so worried and cared for Pontiac why was there no complains in the 80's when they pretty much set the tend of Pontiac's decline with cars like the Sun Bird and Lemans. Even cars we thought were good like the Bonneville and Grand Prix today don't look so good now.

If you want a Pontiac so bad just do what GM has been doing and take a Chevy and slap a Pontiac emblem on it. LOL!

I do not like what the goverment is doing either but Pontiacs trouble started in and around 1979. If Pontiac was to have been saved the changes needed to come long ago. When They lost their identity and just basically offered what Chevy offered was bad enough but when Chevy started to offer more perfromance the writing was on the wall.

Let face it they only have two cars worth a damn and both are limited sales. The G8 could be made into a Caprice and live on as a Chevy with little drama. The Solstice is cool but is it making enough money to warrant it to live on as a Chevy for the 4 more years it was set to live?

As for the rest of the cars let em die as they are not even worthy of a Chevy badge.

It is time to wake up and realize GM is that bad off and Pontiac was really that damaged. If you were so worried and cared for Pontiac why was there no complains in the 80's when they pretty much set the tend of Pontiac's decline with cars like the Sun Bird and Lemans. Even cars we thought were good like the Bonneville and Grand Prix today don't look so good now.

Sorry, not an adequate answer.

And I guarantee that I'm not alone in that sentiment.

Agreed, Camino- badge-slapping may work for hyperv6, it would not for me.

G8 / Impala switcheroo would not interest me in the least.

And BTW hyper- not much built ANYWHERE in the '80s looks 'good' now !

The '80s; when the BMW 3-series was slower than a Beretta GTZ.

Bad times, bad times.

I think it is all GM's fault for taking the government money. Having said that big government hasn't helped GM.

You're acting as if GM wasn't headed towards these decisions before last fall. Of GM hadn't taken government money, Wagoner would have been canned and Pontiac would have been axed. With government money, they might at least keep consumers confident in the company.

I love my '84 Mercedes, but then again it's the antithesis of a stereotypical 1980s car.

RWD

V8

hardtop (pillarless fixed roof)

low MPG

high on mass, safety & practical bells/whistles

bulletproof mechanicals

well engineered

pain-free electronics

speedometer goes 55mph PAST 85

complete lack of rectangular sealed beam headlights, foglights etc.

not a 90 degree corner ANYWHERE inside or out

Agreed, Camino- badge-slapping may work for hyperv6, it would not for me.

G8 / Impala switcheroo would not interest me in the least.

And BTW hyper- not much built ANYWHERE in the '80s looks 'good' now !

The '80s; when the BMW 3-series was slower than a Beretta GTZ.

Bad times, bad times.

What I don't get is I see alot of rebadges from Ford and other places, but you don't hear nearly as much about them as you do about GM. What gives?

You're acting as if GM wasn't headed towards these decisions before last fall. Of GM hadn't taken government money, Wagoner would have been canned and Pontiac would have been axed. With government money, they might at least keep consumers confident in the company.

Taking the money had the opposite affect on the public, GM might as well have said it has Aids, the general public will avoid it in droves ...

The moment GM took the money, it confirmed the general public's own opinion of GM, which is "Epic Failure". I doubt GM will be able to recover, the die is cast ...

Oh I think GM will survive but it will be Chevrolet and Cadillac in the US, Buick in China and Holden in the land down under etc.

Bankruptcy-GM has no money, my car and warranty are worthless

Government money-GM has no money, but at least my warranty will still be valid

I was told your warranty would still be good if they filed bankruptcy?

Edited by Daryl 83

I was told your warranty would still be good if they filed bankruptcy?

Whats true and what people think is true are two different things. Just look at this thread. Pontiac has been on its deathbed since the 80's, yet there are people clinging to it as if the brand offers something original.

Whats true and what people think is true are two different things. Just look at this thread. Pontiac has been on its deathbed since the 80's, yet there are people clinging to it as if the brand offers something original.

Wouldn't matter to me anyway really. All the GM vehicles we have ever had never had to be fixed until they had at least 100,000 on them anyway.

Which it has on numerous occassions over those years.

Then there are those that only see the G3s of history.

IDK I must just be different, but my gf has an 02 Grand Prix with 140,000 miles on it 3.1L V6 and I think its a damn nice car. As long as the damn thing runs decent and is comfortable and I like it which I do who the hell cares about anything else. It's not the fanciest car around by far but who give two $h!s.

IDK I must just be different, but my gf has an 02 Grand Prix with 140,000 miles on it 3.1L V6 and I think its a damn nice car. As long as the damn thing runs decent and is comfortable and I like it which I do who the hell cares about anything else. It's not the fanciest car around by far but who give two $h!s.

And you'd say the exact same thing is she had an '02 Impala or an '02 Regal.

And you'd say the exact same thing is she had an '02 Impala or an '02 Regal.

IDK never even rode in one of them lol. We mainly got the car because it had a 3.1L in it which was also in her 01 Malibu before that car which had 209,000 original miles on it before she totaled it.

So, you admit you didn't buy the car *because* it was a Pontiac, just one of the last GM cars to carry that particular engine. Just strengthens my case that Pontiac is redundant. Seems to me that if the 3.1 was the selling point, and the GP hadn't been around in '02, you probably would've wound up on another Malibu or a Century.

So, you admit you didn't buy the car *because* it was a Pontiac, just one of the last GM cars to carry that particular engine. Just strengthens my case that Pontiac is redundant. Seems to me that if the 3.1 was the selling point, and the GP hadn't been around in '02, you probably would've wound up on another Malibu or a Century.

Yea we acctually looked for another Malibu, but couldn't find one so then we found the Grand Prix and got it. She wasn't into Pontiac until she got one, and now thats all she wants. She really likes the G6 with the shark type wing and stuff. As for me Ive always been a truck guy, but when I managed to get the urge to get a car I would always be at the Pontiac dealer looking at either a GTO or newest style Grand Prix.

The moment GM took the money, it confirmed the general public's own opinion of GM, which is "Epic Failure". I doubt GM will be able to recover, the die is cast ...

+1

You got it....and I can hear the laughing in the background...

Granted, the new govenment mandates will finish off other cars...

Don't worry PCS, your company's cars won't be far behind...everything will suck to drive......

Yea we acctually looked for another Malibu, but couldn't find one so then we found the Grand Prix and got it. She wasn't into Pontiac until she got one, and now thats all she wants. She really likes the G6 with the shark type wing and stuff. As for me Ive always been a truck guy, but when I managed to get the urge to get a car I would always be at the Pontiac dealer looking at either a GTO or newest style Grand Prix.

Well if true you'll be able to pick 'em up cheap... I like Pontiac cars too, if you have good luck with something you want another. Pontiac to me has always been a better looking and sportier Chevrolet.

Edited by gm4life

I'm going to reiterate. This is "speculation" up until we get the official anouncement. I am going to hold my thoughts in until Monday.