[Updated] Pontiac Officially Dead in 2010 as of 04/27/2009

"The Rockford Files" went through 74, 75, 76, 77, and 78 Esprits. The 74-75's were nearly brown, while the 76-78 cars were lighter tan. Dissappointment was in the reunion movies, Rockford still had a 78, instead of a new 90's Firebird.

Oh, and all F bodies were made in same plants, Chevy and Pontiac, so even then Pontiac didnt build their cars, the UAW did.

BUT, they had more distiction before the X/A/W/N alphabet soup cars.

GM's biggest mistake was assuming people "wouldnt care" and made their brands too alike.

Edited by Chicagoland

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know its really funny the public's perception of pontiac.

my buddy the passat owner (who just sold it) who has the new 09 malibu company car. he sold the passat because he liked the malibu so much.

travels a lot and rents a lot of cars. he is now even trying to convince his wife the traverse is a nice option to replace his pilot.

he called me one time when he had the G6 GXP as a rental, to say how nice a ride it was. cheap interior a bit, but he liked the G6.

He called me back a few weeks later when he got a base G6 rental and was not so kind.

GM just needed to bring the goods for all its cars instead of starving the cheaper stuff of the good stuff.

Pontiac Dead Jalopnik

Jalopnik_Pontiac.jpg

^Found this in this article on Jalopnik... Interesting or was it from the last time they pronounced Pontiac dead?^

I'll know more on Monday, I am praying they are just getting cut back to the G8 and Solstice and maybe a Coupe/Vert G6. Even if only as place holders in the market place if it ever picks up again it leaves the door open to GM to bring them back, with the products they deserve. Might be wishful thinking, but the announcement could be a drastic cut or change in the line-up. Here's to wishful thinking. In the mean time, I will pray and my second letter was sent off to Pontiac/GM Friday.

Edited by gm4life

GM prepares to announce Pontiac closure next week

Jamie LaReau

Automotive News

April 24, 2009 - 1:45 pm ET

UPDATED: 4/24/09 4:10 p.m. ET

General Motors is preparing to announce early next week that the Pontiac brand will be eliminated, said a source familiar with the company's plans.

The announcement will be made as part of an updated viability report to the U.S. auto task force, the source said. A second source indicated earlier this week that GM, surviving with $15.4 billion in U.S. bailout funds, was considering phasing out Pontiac instead of sticking with a plan to have it continue as a niche brand.

In its proposal to the U.S. Treasury on Feb. 17, GM said Cadillac, Chevrolet, Buick and GMC would be its four core U.S. brands. On March 31, the task force told GM that its restructuring plan wasn't aggressive enough and denied a request for $16.6 billion in additional aid.

Pontiac spokesman Jim Hopson declined to comment on Pontiac's future.

"I can't speculate what next week is going to hold," he said. "When we were asked to go back and look at the viability plan, everything went back on the table. We're reviewing everything. Nothing is sacred. We're still under the original viability plan until told otherwise."

The U.S. today granted $2 billion to keep GM operating while it prepares for a new, June 1 restructuring deadline. GM has been staying afloat with $13.4 billion in U.S. loans granted in December by President George W. Bush.

Bloomberg News said GM is expected to tell the government that it will stick with plans to keep GMC, Buick, Chevrolet and Cadillac.

Saab, Hummer and Saturn are for sale.

Muscle-car icon

Pontiac, which launched the 1960s U.S. muscle-car era with the GTO, sold 267,348 vehicles in the United States last year, less than a third of its 1978 peak of 896,980. This year's volume dropped 43.5 percent through March as industrywide demand fell 38.4 percent.

"Pontiac is one of my favorites -- I especially like the G8," said John Pitre, general manager of Motor City Auto Center in Bakersfield, Calif., which sells Buick-Pontiac-GMC and Saturn. "I would be sad to see it phased out. However, if some of those products became part of the Buick brand, I could understand GM's logic."

Chris Haydocy, who owns a Buick-Pontiac-GMC store in Columbus, Ohio, said Pontiac isn't essential as long as the revamped sales channel provides most of what customers are looking for.

Said Haydocy: "I think you need 10 or 12 models to do that."

Killing Pontiac would make sense, said George Peterson, president of marketing and product consulting firm AutoPacific Inc.

"It's sort of a shadow of itself," he said. "All of the Pontiacs, except for the G8, are copies of Chevrolets or GMCs, so there really isn't any reason to keep Pontiac around.''

GM introduced Pontiac in 1926. GM decided to kill Oldsmobile in 2000, three years after its 100th anniversary.

Chrissie Thompson contributed to this report.

Wow... even some Pontiac dealers are calling for it to die. That is very sad indeed.

I am very saddened by this news and really wish I could go out and buy a new 2009 Pontiac G8 GT sedan right now. Of course when I told the wife this news yesterday, she asked about buying a Vibe GT while we can still do so!!

Get over it. It's official now. Pontiac is dead. I knew this would happen all through few years ago. I just didn't say much, nor try to get a notion from others.

I first knew GM didn't have any interest in Pontiac when they dropped Pontiac from the NASCAR circuit and replaced with a lame import Toyota in an AMERICAN race event, then, the announcement that the camaro is returning, but the Firebird fans will still be left in the dark. When I was purchasing my 08 GP, the salesman even told me that they know that GM is not putting any money to the Pontiac division but spending all their money on their 'BABY' Chevy instead. A few years back, when they introduced a G8 and announced it's a 'NEW' car comming from Australia and personally taking a poster from the auto show thinking that it will greatly sit between the beautiful Grand Prix and the premium luxury sedan with an attitude Bonneville, I proudly affixed it on the wall of my room. When it finally arrived and GM 'KILLED' BOTH Bonneville AND Grand Prix, I got furious and tear down the poster of G8 on my wall and trashed it. When Pontiac brought over the G5 a few years before that which was a blatent copy of the Chevy Cobalt with a Pontiac grille, in place of the very different looking 'RE-SKINNED' model Sunfire, I didn't know much about their plan, but when this G8 incident happened, and the fact that Pontiac didn't have any kind of concepts for display at the show for several straight years, I knew Pontiac wouldn't last for long. Now, it's a reality as I expected. Made it worse by the final nail in the coffin by adding a Daewoo to their already obnoxious line up of imports and re-badges. If they only hadn't given a version of Solstice to the Saturn, Sales of Solstice wouldn't have been divided in two.

Now, since my second favorite brand of GM is also dying(Saab) which isn't even American(though I LOVED their 9-5 at the show), my next car will be either Dodge Challenger(which was really comfy inside than I ever imagined, with an excellent interior design that fits my taste) or a new Ford Taurus. Yes, I am one of those minorities that only shop Pontiac when it comes to GM. Pontiac was the only brand I spent my money on all through, and since GM cut off my source for my need of future transportation, I will HAVE TO move on to someone else.

To people who criticize the ones who are leaving GM because of the death of Pontiac, saying there is other division stayings and there is posibility that the Pontiac personality will be given to them, or somewhere along the line saying that what is really the difference since Pontiac was a re-badge of Chevy to begin with, well, to me at least, it's not the same without the arrowhead logo and the twin port grille, EVEN as an aftermarket add-on. No matter if it is just a re-badged version, a Pontiac is a Pontiac, Chevy is a chevy no matter if any Pontiac cues gets into it in SS trim or whatever.

So I guess the Solstice targa won't be seeing the light afterall, not as Pontiac wearing an arrowhead anyway.

Now, flame me, attack me, call me arrogant, childish, stupid or whatever, but I still think Grand Prix is a better 'NORTH AMERICAN' car than the G8 which I call as a lame HOLDEN G8 from down under that isn't even a domestic. I will be keeping my 08 Grand Prix which is troublefree still(Got about 14,500 miles now, after slightly over a year), until I die, even after I get another car(non-GM) a several years later. 08 Grand Prix will be here to stay for as long as I live, for it is one car I wanted for so long, and the last TRUE DOMESTIC Pontiac I'll be owning.

Here is a little something to the dead Pontiac division for their contributions in the automotive world and for all their service for 83 years. Sad to see them go, but their future was already known long ago. It's just that the reality sounds bitter than it was thought before. Oldsmobile was missed, now Pontiac will take their footsteps, never to return.

Pontbanner0.gif

----

R.I.P.

Here Lies

Oakland/Pontiac Motor Division

1907/1926 - 2009

In loving memories of a once Die Hard Pontiac fan from 1992 to present.

----

Sorry for my long, pointless, boring post.

Edited by Diehard GrandPrix Fan

The G8 and the GP are two completely different animals. The G8 feels like it can go like hell all day long with excesses of fluidly applied power. Lots of power. Beyond the dreams of avarice.

The next-to-last body style GP had more seductive lines than the final GP imo.

So I guess the Solstice targa won't be seeing the light afterall, not as Pontiac wearing an arrowhead anyway.

Now, flame me, attack me, call me arrogant, childish, stupid or whatever, but I still think Grand Prix is a better 'NORTH AMERICAN' car than the G8 which I call as a lame HOLDEN G8 from down under that isn't even a domestic. I will be keeping my 08 Grand Prix which is troublefree still(Got about 14,500 miles now, after slightly over a year), until I die, even after I get another car(non-GM) a several years later. 08 Grand Prix will be here to stay for as long as I live, for it is one car I wanted for so long, and the last TRUE DOMESTIC Pontiac I'll be owning.

Here is a little something to the dead Pontiac division for their contributions in the automotive world and for all their service for 83 years. Sad to see them go, but their future was already known long ago. It's just that the reality sounds bitter than it was thought before. Oldsmobile was missed, now Pontiac will take their footsteps, never to return.

Pontbanner0.gif

----

R.I.P.

Here Lies

Oakland/Pontiac Motor Division

1907/1926 - 2009

In loving memories of a once Die Hard Pontiac fan from 1992 to present.

----

Sorry for my long, pointless, boring post.

It was a very touching, emotional post for those of us who love(D) Pontiac and what it stood for.

This is one of the best things I've read all week, and I agree 100 percent.

Chris

So, what is going to happen to the G8? Will GM just not have a rear drive sedan in NA outside of Caddy? Will they sell it as a Buick or a Chevy? Any ideas?

I'm guessing they're just simply not going to have a rear drive sedan here again (other than the STS and CTS). :(

The G8 and the GP are two completely different animals. The G8 feels like it can go like hell all day long with excesses of fluidly applied power. Lots of power. Beyond the dreams of avarice.

The next-to-last body style GP had more seductive lines than the final GP imo.

The really seductive GP's were those of the sixites. 67 GP Ragtop anyone?

...and I'm still a holdout for the 70's RWD cars, and the 80's Aerocoupes.

Chris

So, what is going to happen to the G8? Will GM just not have a rear drive sedan in NA outside of Caddy? Will they sell it as a Buick or a Chevy? Any ideas?

I'm guessing they're just simply not going to have a rear drive sedan here again (other than the STS and CTS). :(

That's my assumption, which is exactly how GM was from '97-'07 (Cadillac had the only RWD sedan(s) those years). GM will just have fewer FWD generics in the future than they have now. It's sad to lose Pontiac--the Solstice and G8 were two on the short list of memorable cars GM has today.

Edited by moltar

The really seductive GP's were those of the sixites. 67 GP Ragtop anyone?

...and I'm still a holdout for the 70's RWD cars, and the 80's Aerocoupes.

Chris

My favorite GPs were the '69-72s...the big ones from '62-68 were pretty special also. The FWD models are best forgotten.

Who still writes letters? Did you send it Pony Express?

Wow hes just trying to get answers you don't need to be a dick to him because of it.

My favorite GPs were the '69-72s...the big ones from '62-68 were pretty special also. The FWD models are best forgotten.

The sad thing is that in the midwest you seemingly never see either variant of GP (69-72 or 62-68).

The 69-72 cars were awesome. Make mine an SSJ.

Chris

The sad thing is that in the midwest you seemingly never see either variant of GP (69-72 or 62-68).

The 69-72 cars were awesome. Make mine an SSJ.

Chris

Don't see them out here either...I've pretty much only seen them at car shows over the last 15 years..they seem to be pretty scarce out and about anywhere. I think I prefer the '71-72 shape over the '69-72 because of the sculpturing..love the rear end and the front (though 4 lights would have been nicer than 2).

If Pontiac dies, could the G* move over to Chevrolet as a Caprice? Or Impala SS? That would open the door for the El Camino rebirth due to the crash testing being done already for the US market and the badging and facias for the middle east (bowties) already being done. Would this NOT be a better product fit then the 'lame duck' G8 GXP that sits in a showroom amongst G5 and G6 fwd yawners?

I mean, the Impala SS RWD would be a great fit next to Corvette and Camaro - throw in the El Camino and the Sportwagon (Caprice Estate wagon anyone?) and you would have a RWD line with powertrains that are both efficient and exciting to drive with ZERO development costs (they are all done/Existing cars!!!) Come on GM...give the US what we want in a car

You'll never see that happen...

GM is at the mercy of the government now. Zeta will die with Pontiac and Alpha will not accomodate a V8, mark my words.

Wow hes just trying to get answers you don't need to be a dick to him because of it.

Exactly. Especially when you consider that emails get instantly ignored, and written letters get some attention due to the extra effort to mail them.

GM is at the mercy of the government now. Zeta will die with Pontiac and Alpha will not accomodate a V8, mark my words.

I know, this really blows man. GM has already essentially given the full size luxury car market to the imports by starving Caddy and Buick of a proper, large rear drive V8 car. And now, as soon as they started going back to their roots and offering a larger, more "affordable" rear drive car (G8) that appeals to a lot of true car enthusiasts, they're basically forced into killing it. Totally sucks IMO.

If they were smart, they would keep the Zeta platform going and sell a proper full size RWD sedan as a Buick and a Caddy here in NA.

Think about the profit that Toyota, BMW and Mercedes make on every single LS460, 7 Series and S-Class that's sold. I'm sure those cars are quite profitable. That is a market that GM basically had all to themselves before the imports really started becoming popular here. GM basically just gave that entire market away.

Hey, Tim Geithner should "approve" of GM building at least one V8 powered rear drive large sedan for North America, right? After all, I read that he drives a V8 powered Lexus LS460.

Emails get a form email back, written letters get a printed form letter back, the only difference is that mailing it will cost GM $.42 they cant afford.

Maybe they'll just email him back instead of paying postage? :neenerneener:

Could always send GM a tweet....GM has several feeds on Twitter.

I haven't 'written' a 'letter' to anyone in probably a decade. I'm afraid too many years of using computers and email have reduced my handwriting to an unreadable scrawl.. :(

From what I understand the new Impala is going to go Alpha should they continue to make it.

From what I understand the new Impala is going to go Alpha should they continue to make it.

I would think that an Epsy Dos based FWD vanilla sedan is much more likely..wasn't Alpha going to be a compact car platform?? I assume Alpha will be cancelled sooner or later anyway.

I think the point being made is that we are going to be starved for desireable, marketable product from here on out.

Who wants to bet that in 2017 were "rationalizing" the death of Cadillac or Chevrolet?

Chris

Do you listen to yourself sometimes? GM was planning and in the process of killing Zeta long before it asked teh government for help. Stop blaming the government for all of GMs stupid decisions and problems. It gets irritating after a while.

Do you listen to yourself sometimes? GM was planning and in the process of killing Zeta long before it asked teh government for help. Stop blaming the government for all of GMs stupid decisions and problems. It gets irritating after a while.

I think it's part of his persecution complex schtick.. it gets old.

Alpha can accommodate V8, V6 and 4 cylinder engines ...

No I3? That means no new Metro. Well GM can kiss my ass, there is no way I'll buy a new GM car that isn't a 3cyl Metro.

(this really is what some people on here sound like)

I have written Pontiac/GM two emails, not letters with a stamp. I would never ever want them to waste 84 cents on a loyal Pontiac owner and longtime GM customer, would I? Why can't I write a letter? Don't I have the freedom to send a letter telling them why it is a mistake and why market share will slip to the imports, because GM killed "our" brand? Expressing a view point in this country is almost always welcomed, actually encouraged by some, when something happens people try to do something about it. At least that is how I was raised. I am just dumb-founded on a GM forum why I would get asked such a question about writing them a legit letter with my concerns. I didn't expect anyone to read it, but it made me feel better that I could at least give them fair warning of what is most likely going to happen. I also said it is a real shame when you have excellent product like the G8 and Solstice you have to "kill" them.

Edited by gm4life

Thank you, I don't expect anyone to read it, but it made me feel better. Daryl should I feel bad for doing it, or expressing my concerns? I thought it was always welcomed in this country. Then again maybe I am wrong. Prolly wrong for sticking by GM all these years, and if Chevrolet and Cadillac live, I plan to do so. I just hope my son or I can get our hands on a new Camaro SS before they go away forever.

Edited by gm4life

Thank you, I don't expect anyone to read it, but it made me feel better. Daryl should I feel bad for doing it, or expressing my concerns? I thought it was always welcomed in this country. Then again maybe I am wrong. Prolly wrong for sticking by GM all these years, and if Chevrolet and Cadillac live, I plan to do so. I just hope my son or I can get our hands on a new Camaro SS before they go away forever.

Nothing to feel bad about. Ive written plenty of letters to companies before, and have gotten a good response back in return. If you take the time to write one, be polite, and compose it the right way alot of times you will get some kind of response.

Nothing to feel bad about. Ive written plenty of letters to companies before, and have gotten a good response back in return. If you take the time to write one, be polite, and compose it the right way alot of times you will get some kind of response.

True.

Spring of '96. GM sent an engineer to reconcile a problem with tire/wheel well clearance on my Sonoma High-Rider truck. My truck was in Faulkner's garage for two days and I was given a Yukon GT to use.

It started with my writing a letter.

For what it's worth, two people in the industry with reason to know say that Pontiac will not be killed tomorrow.

No, I'm not going to tell you who they are as I know them both.

And no, I'm not taking their word as gospel (not these days), but it tempers my expectations a bit.

As I said, for what it's worth.

For what it's worth, two people in the industry with reason to know say that Pontiac will not be killed tomorrow.

No, I'm not going to tell you who they are as I know them both.

And no, I'm not taking their word as gospel (not these days), but it tempers my expectations a bit.

As I said, for what it's worth.

Well never know! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! :banghead:

Hey, Tim Geithner should "approve" of GM building at least one V8 powered rear drive large sedan for North America, right? After all, I read that he drives a V8 powered Lexus LS460.

1) I'm sure he's like most idiots in america and thinks that his car isn't damaging the environment as bad as a domestic because it's a Toyota.

2) Geitner is just like an government bureaucrat; what's good for you DOESN'T apply to him.

Al Gore has traveled the world creating panic for years now, yet he flies personal jets and drives SUVs. (What's funny is that people are still dumb enough to believe in him)

I think the point being made is that we are going to be starved for desireable, marketable product from here on out.

Who wants to bet that in 2017 were "rationalizing" the death of Cadillac or Chevrolet?

Chris

I'll take your bet and see you "the banning of classic cars" or "the banning of classic american cars because they're less efficient than TRUE classics"

(Good thing I'll have lots of guns by then)

Can you not read?

I haven't blamed the government for anything. In fact, everything I've posted around here has included a CAREFUL DISCLAIMER about my true opinion so the Obama NAZI doesn't close the thread.

Are you so DUMB as to think that will not be the case? Are you so IGNORANT as to see that a LARGE part of Zeta being cancelled was GOVERNMENT REGULATION AND INTERVENTION from 2 years ago?

Do you REALLY think that LARGE RWD V8s will be ALLOWED by a liberal government in the future?

Do me a favor... Next time you want to reply to me in an insulting manner, step back... think about it... THEN SHUT THE F**K UP.

I don't care who you are, admin or not. I'm getting really tired of your smart assed attacks. If you don't like my opinion, then don't read it.

I'll take your bet and see you "the banning of classic cars" or "the banning of classic american cars because they're less efficient than TRUE classics"

(Good thing I'll have lots of guns by then)

Should that happen I'll move to the country and bury my Impala and the big Cadillac I'll no doubt pick up in a concrete box in the back forty... :scratchchin:

Should that happen I'll move to the country and bury my Impala and the big Cadillac I'll no doubt pick up in a concrete box in the back forty... :scratchchin:

lol I just won't buy anything new until I have to.

Al Gore has traveled the world creating panic for years now, yet he flies personal jets and drives SUVs. (What's funny is that people are still dumb enough to believe in him)

I don't know about Al Gore's SUv, but if it is anything like the stories about his use of personal jets and his home's electrical use, then its just another false slur.

Even though I have E-mailed Pontiac, I don't think that will change anything anyway. The decision has been made already, and I will be hard pressed to see the official word from GM comes out tomorrow saying that we have no more arrow-heads to keep us Pontiac fans happy and give us freedom of choice when it comes to car buying. Taking away our(Pontiac buyers) privilleges to buy the car from the brand we love and loyal at.

I don't think GM will even care about these E-mails(or letters) they get, they will probably just hit 'DELETE' when they see the content is about killing Pontiac. I DID include the statement that I 'WILL' be leaving GM if Pontiac does indeed die, but I don't think they care. It's not the companies like Hyundai, or European brands that actually 'LISTENS' to their loyal buyers/customers and act upon it, I think GM only cares what's profitable(well, what they THINK is profitable) and don't care what the customers think. Hey, it already happened when they let go of an Oldsmobile. I wasn't here at the boards when that happened, but I am pretty sure, that thread that may have been created all kinds of posts like this and I am pretty sure they got whole bunch of E-mails not to kill it, but look what they did. They still killed the brand like it was their priority no. one. We, the Pontiac lovers can only hope they change their mind about the demise of the Pontiac, but, I guess the decision was already made long ago, and I think they will put a 'GO' to this lame plan no matter what anyone saids. They got no other choice you say, but to kill a brand? I don't think so. They have until June 1st, and personally, I am sure there is another way around to solve this difficulties and the killing of a brand is not the way to go. GM needs some brain to help them solve this rather than comming all out to kill a brand who has a long time loyal fans crying their heart out to save it.

As I said before, to people who criticizes the ones who will leave GM(myself included) if they killed Pontiac(which is official now), just don't know what us Pontiac fans are used to our babies.

The Pontiac fans wouldn't shop at Chevy dealers just like Chevy fans won't even browse into the Pontiac showrooms. Simple as that, and you can't tell them that, 'Pontiac is just a re-badge of Chevy, what's the difference, if Pontiac dies, you should buy Chevy instead, they are the same thing'. It's just not the same. I may be one of the minority, but when it comes to car buying, I want to make sure the car has an arrowhead in front, make sure it has the twin port grille, make sure it has the warm-red litting gauges at night, make sure the steering wheel has either the writing Pontiac, or the arrowhead engraved on it as well as its wheels, and I want to see the Pontiac as its cover of the owner's manual. It's just a feeling that you are in your favorite brands product. I would NEVER going to buy a Chevy-ized Pontiac, let alone buying Buick-ized Pontiac. It just isn't the same. True, the current Pontiacs, besides Solstice and G6 are either the Chevy re-badges or imports, if it is not 'LABELED' and built as Pontiac in the first place, No thanx.

Let's hope a miracle happens tomorrow so that GM continues on without killing any brands(though chances are slim) and came out with a better solution instead, but if the demise of Oldsmobile is any indication, it's safe to say Pontiac is just good as dead as it seems.

Sorry again, for my long, pointless, and offensive(in a way) post. Just my opinions