GM to seek another shared Toyota model to replace Vibe

Lindsay Chappell

Automotive News

April 27, 2009 - 4:03 pm ET

Even as it shrinks its North American product portfolio, General Motors is negotiating with Toyota Motor Corp. to determine a new GM product to be jointly produced at the automakers' 50-50 joint venture, New United Motor Manufacturing Inc.

A GM spokesman said that, if successful, the negotiations would result in a new model for one of GM's surviving brands -- Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac.

Earlier today, GM revealed that it will end production of its Pontiac line, including the Vibe crossover.

The Vibe is currently GM's sole yield from the NUMMI partnership -- meaning the Pontiac decision effectively leaves GM without a need for NUMMI as it cuts factory production plans around the country.

But Pontiac spokesman Jim Hopson said GM is in talks with Toyota and NUMMI itself to determine another vehicle to be produced there.

"We're negotiating to see how best to utilize that facility going forward," Hopson said. "We're clearly not backing away from our partnership at NUMMI. There's no issue of us backing away from NUMMI."

GM and Toyota began building small cars together at the former GM plant in Fremont, Calif., in 1984. Toyota also obtains its Tacoma pickup from a separate line there.

Over the years, GM has obtained models all related to the Toyota Corolla platform.

The venture was supposed to supply the cars on a 50-50 basis to Toyota and GM, with each side receiving 100,000 to 120,000 cars a year. But in recent years, GM's take from the plant has fallen. Last year Pontiac sold 46,551 Vibes, a gain of 25 percent over 2007.

Toyota combines Matrix sales reports with the Corolla, so no data exist comparing Matrix to Vibe sales.

GM has little else in its portfolio like the Vibe. Like the Vibe, the Korean-built Chevy Aveo 5 and Pontiac G3 are five-door hatchbacks. But they are smaller than the Vibe.

"There's really nothing wrong with the Vibe," Hopson said. "Its only problem right now is that it is a Pontiac."

Asked whether the company is considering continuing production of the Vibe with a different GM badge, Hopson flatly said no.

Link: http://www.autonews.com/article/20090427/A.../904279953/1176

I could see a Vibe as a GMC or Luxury Buick version, if they want to keep it cheep like the current Vibe then put it in the Chevy portfolio and drop one of the other cheep Chevy's.

Interesting... well, they could build a reskinned Avalon as an Impala (to get rid of the W- body), or bring back the Chevy Blazer name on an FJ Cruiser variant. Or a next-gen HHR based on the Matrix or xB. Or they could introduce a new midsize pickup for Chevy and GMC based on the Tacoma, to augment the Colorado/Canyon. Lots of possibliities (if they were to go beyond the Corolla platform).

More realistically, sticking to the Corolla platform, I could see an HHR replacement or a small Buick sedan..

Edited by Cubical

I could see a Vibe as a GMC or Luxury Buick version, if they want to keep it cheep like the current Vibe then put it in the Chevy portfolio and drop one of the other cheep Chevy's.

They can't. Did you even read it? :rolleyes:

Asked whether the company is considering continuing production of the Vibe with a different GM badge, Hopson flatly said no.

Rebadging Pontiacs doesn't make much sense.

These ass holes kill the entire Pontiac Motor Division, yet they are working on another NUMMI product. What a blatant smack in the face. Unbe f@#king lievable.

It's business..GM is doing anything they can to survive right now. Maybe they can sell off a brand or two to Toyota.

They can't. Did you even read it? :rolleyes:

Rebadging Pontiacs doesn't make much sense.

Sorry I was not Clear enough, I understood they are not going to rebadge the Vibe, but if they want to build a small higher gas milage small auto then either plan on a chevy model or go mid lux model. Do NOT try to have GMC or Buick sell a Chevy Equal auto. Compete against the foreign auto's and not themself's.

Sorry I was not Clear enough, I understood they are not going to rebadge the Vibe, but if they want to build a small higher gas milage small auto then either plan on a chevy model or go mid lux model. Do NOT try to have GMC or Buick sell a Chevy Equal auto. Compete against the foreign auto's and not themself's.

Well la di f*cking da but could you clear this up maybe; spelling and grammar aside I'm a bit miffed. :smilewide:

Well la di f*cking da but could you clear this up maybe; spelling and grammar aside I'm a bit miffed. :smilewide:

Being a Software engineer, I never promised anyone I would be good with Grammer or Spelling. :smilewide:

I understand everyone who liked the Heritage of Pontiac being mad, but I feel deep down there is much to be excited about in the near future and long term. :)

Anyway, I don't see the point of this. the Vibe was never a huge seller, this current one is not a looker at all, and the only place it could go, Chevrolet, already had a 5-door. It can't become a sedan because the Cruze is coming soon..ish, so they would overlap as well.

Anyway, I don't see the point of this. the Vibe was never a huge seller, this current one is not a looker at all, and the only place it could go, Chevrolet, already had a 5-door. It can't become a sedan because the Cruze is coming soon..ish, so they would overlap as well.

My GF was considering a Vibe.

I want to see this contract. It must be ironclad as hell for GM to want to continue with it. It makes no sense to me.

The language used is somewhat ambiguous but would gather to say they are committed i.e. there might be an issue if they were to back away, not that they could if they want.

"We're clearly not backing away from our partnership at NUMMI. There's no issue of us backing away from NUMMI."

Maybe get a new p/u for GMC.

Since the Matrix gets mixed up with Corolla is there any way to know what Vibe sales look like compared with its line mate? That is something I want to see.

These ass holes kill the entire Pontiac Motor Division, yet they are working on another NUMMI product. What a blatant smack in the face. Unbe f@#king lievable.

Makes sense doesn't it.