Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

LAPD To Buy Chevy-Badged Holden Commodore Police Cars? [Police Cars]

31 posts in this topic

Starting with the LAPD, up to 40,000 Chevrolet-badged Commodore police vehicles could be exported annually in a deal to replace Pontiac G8 volume lost by GM killing Pontiac. A re-badged Commodore police car? Sweet. This after the folks at Melbourne's National Safety Agency put together the above LAPD-liveried Chevy-badged Commodore for the 2009 APCO Australasia Conference & Exhibition last month in Sydney. The expectation is the LAPD would be the first police force to buy the new vehicle, with more exports potentially going to Canada, the UK and the Middle East.

View the full article

You hear that G8 fans, cheap highway patrol spec 9C1 Commodores.

I hope this does provide some impetus for the G8 to carry on as a Chevrolet. Call it a Caprice, a Chevelle, I don't care... just let this car stick it out for a few more years in NA.

I hope this does provide some impetus for the G8 to carry on as a Chevrolet. Call it a Caprice, a Chevelle, I don't care... just let this car stick it out for a few more years in NA.

Offer a non fleet version, call it Impala, And have an equivalent of the GXP as the Impala SS. That would be great.

Keep the old W-Impala around, rename it 'Classic' or 'Generica' and make that a fleet only model.

Not going to happen, but fun to speculate.

Edited by Cubical

It's already named Caprice everywhere it's sold as Chevy. Why change the name?

True, Caprice would work fine. I was thinking Impala so they could get rid of the old W-body model.

Edited by Cubical

So does this mean we can still have a G8 badged as Chevrolet Caprice/Lumina/Impala etc? If they export the cars for LAPD, they better sell them to the public as well. A SS version like the GXP model would be great. Also a GMC El Camino is also mentioned in the article... Hmmm but will this actually happen?

Offer a non fleet version, call it Impala, And have an equivalent of the GXP as the Impala SS. That would be great.

Keep the old W-Impala around, rename it 'Classic' or 'Generica' and make that a fleet only model.

I agree call it the Impala or Chevelle would work as well. I just an not a fan of the "Caprice" name it. It carry's a certain "image" one that a no excuses sport sedan should not have. If the only way we get it, is to call it a Caprice bring it on. I still would rather see it called an Impala or Chevelle.

Edited by gm4life

NOT ....HOLDING ...MY ...BREATH! <_<

The Zeta journey has been one long

joyride and I'm not about to go jump

for joy, as much as I'd love to since

a Caprice 9C1 would def. be a

modern dream car of sorts for me,

but I've been let down too many

times before.

GM news as of the past decade has

been one one or the other extreeme.

It's either BAD news, or when there

IS great news it seems like 95% of

the time it ends up being yet another

massive c*ck-tease!

(holy cow: 14,000 posts)

Edited by Sixty8panther

Well, for what's it worth , if people from GM are reading any of this...

Just sell the G8 as a Chevrolet Impala or Chevrolet Caprice to civilians and cops here in the US you stupid morons! There's obviously a market for it (Dodge Charger).

I wouldn't hold my breath on the Commodore showing up here by the boatload as Chevy police cars. The Federal, State and even most Local governments have "buy North American" clauses written into their purchasing agreements for fleet vehicles. Holden isn't North American, it's rated as foreign. So if there's a "Buy North American" clause in Local, State and Federal government fleet use, then this car won't qualify. Holden knows this or at least they should, maybe they're just trying to put on a brave face.

I agree. The W-body Impala should be renamed "Classic" and become a fleet queen. The Commodore should become the new Impala. Why waste the good stuff (Zeta) on fleet sales?

No reason this can't be the next Impala

Cause Caprice sounds.... well.... very "Nancy"

I'm having more faith lately that a new better managed GM will understand the full size market should be based on an already produced platform recognized for its world class attributes and great space efficiency, zeta. i also think cops are unhappy with fwd based impalas, and will choose to look at a GM product whether it be from across the globe. the police forces will look to thier needs first, and perhaps find the charger somehow incomplete. i think we may see cop car commodores here first, and then perhaps some time later a retail commodore through chevy to eventually make up for the impala category, so long as the next malibu is relatively large inside.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the Commodore showing up here by the boatload as Chevy police cars. The Federal, State and even most Local governments have "buy North American" clauses written into their purchasing agreements for fleet vehicles. Holden isn't North American, it's rated as foreign. So if there's a "Buy North American" clause in Local, State and Federal government fleet use, then this car won't qualify. Holden knows this or at least they should, maybe they're just trying to put on a brave face.

Meh...Australia is an English speaking country and a member of the Commonwealth, that should count for something. They are like Canada, but further away and with better weather. :)

And regardless, it's a GM product built in a GM factory.

Edited by Cubical

This is a smart idea as it will keep Holden from reportedly lossing near $1 billion doallars with the loss of the G8.

My hope is there will be enough demand by those who see the squad cars to make enough demand for Chevy to offer a limited run of civilian Caprices here.

There is little risk with this deal just as Buick if it flows you just stop shipping them in. I do not expect them to fail.

They do need to make the 304 DI V6 an option as gas use and prices are key with many departments for operating cost. Giving them a very powerful V6 option may really pay off.

I really don't know how true this is in California anymore.

The CHP and most city police forces have BMW motorcycles, when there is a Harley available for use. The CHP right now is exclusive Ford CVs, but I'm sure when Ford stops making them, they will be interested as well. CHP has tested Volvo and Toyota cars (although more for trivial purposes than anything else) but they still tested them.

Los Angeles and other cities in CA have Honda and Toyota cars that they use for city purposes.

I think it is totally plausible that the LAPD could buy the Australian built GM vehicle instead of the Canadian built Chrysler vehicle.

Meh...Australia is an English speaking country and a member of the Commonwealth, that should count for something. They are like Canada, but further away and with better weather. :)

With GMNA parts content as well.

English speaking means nothing, besides the Obama administration would look bad having American auto workers out of a job and importing an Australian product. Holden is done in the USA, GM has even said as much ...

English speaking means nothing, besides the Obama administration would look bad having American auto workers out of a job and importing an Australian product. Holden is done in the USA, GM has even said as much ...

I don't recall any such statement...

That is a very dated article.

But no, I am certainly not holding my breath waiting for GM to do something smart for a change.

I thought you said Holden might not even be part of GM in the future? At that point what GM says would mean nothing to Holden.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0