Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

REPORT: RWD Commodore platform could underpin Caddies, G8 GT could make a comeback

13 posts in this topic

With Pontiac's death official, Holden stands to lose around $1 billion annually with the demise of the Pontiac G8. However, Holden doesn't plan to go quiet into night. The Aussie automaker has drawn up plans to offer the rear-wheel drive Commodore platform to Cadillac and GMC.

Although GM's CEO, Fritz Henderson, has confirmed that the G8 won't live on, there's a chance it could be used by law enforcement in the States, and with Cadillac's recent attempts to inject more RWD models into the mix (save the Epsilon II-based sub-CTS), the Zeta architecture could be used for a new line of Caddies.

More interestingly, with GMC safe – for now – from sharing a grave with Pontiac (not to mention the inevitable liquidation of Hummer, Saab and Saturn), Holden could make a case for importing the stillborn G8 ST 'ute to the U.S. as a fuel-efficient alternative to GMC's otherwise big and thirsty pick-ups. Where there's a niche, GM normally likes to fill it, and while the case for the Zeta-based Cadillacs could be made -- particularly as GM seeks to downsize the platform to aid its survival -- the G8 ST's revival seems far less plausible.

View the full article

Camino, does this mean you could get your 'Ute? Also does this mean that we can still get a G8 with a Chevy badge. If so I say yes to both, because how can they bring the Zeta over for police and not have a retail model, and IF they did it would just piss people like me off.

Edited by gm4life

how can they bring the Zeta over for police and not have a retail model, and IF they did it would just piss people like me off.

Because they're the company called General Motors, they like to make dumb product decisions such as killing their second best vehicle as it is starting to gain momentum in the marketplace.

A real honest to God kick butt Zeta based rear drive Buick anyone???? The 2010 Buick Electra??? (Chinese Park Avenue)

I'd sh*t my pants.

What about a volume Chevrolet? Make a volume Chevy for police forces and sell a civilian version to those who want it. The Caddy could generate the big profit margins, and the Chevy could fill a gap that is sure to grow with the demise of the Panthers and Chrysler now in bankruptcy. I don't see how this could go wrong, but then again....it probably makes too much freakin' sense for General Motors.

Why does no one take Fritz Henderson's statement that the G8 is not going to any other divisions seriously?

Does anyone seriously believe that any more Holdens will be sold in the US?

Why does no one take Fritz Henderson's statement that the G8 is not going to any other divisions seriously?

1, Because GM reverses itself often these days.

2. Because not using this platform is just stupid.

The way I see it the Ready to go Zeta makes the most sense for a stopgap till alpha is ready & the General is off oxygen

Caddy = new DTS / Statesmen

Chevy = Caprice / Comador (fleet sales)+public sales including wagon

GMC = Sprint? / Ute

Buick = Wildcat/G8 or short wb

Let Caddy have old school Fleetwood image with 7+ handling(HSV) 3.6DFI / LS3 = DTSV more in line with CTSV

Chevy has a few Caprice civilian sales inc wagon able to tow with greater mpg than Xovers + Cop cars (regaining their market from Ford they gave away in '96)including wagons

GMC gets Ute + 4door Ute you know Prof. Grade (Think project Coordinators + engineers)

Buick gets a Lexus / Infinity challenger more like G8 not GNX Darth Vader-ish

And are all the small diesels on hold this is the perfect platform 6spd manual/ 7spd auto at release

This makes complete sense. Since I've learned of Pontiac's demise, I wondered what would happen to Holden if the G8 was discontinued. I can see the lwb as a Cadillac, the short wheel base as the next gen Impala (finally!), and the GMC Ute as a niche halo vehicle for GMC.

Well, I don't hold my breath when it comes to new GM news lately, but it would be nice to see this turn out as:

1) NG Impala

2) NG Lucerne

3) NG STS/DTS

Holden has to do something or else they're sunk. Exporting the G8 to the US was arguably more crucial for Holden than it was for Pontiac, believe it or not.

As I said in another thread, I'd leave the Commodore in Australia until the next gen arrives. Until then, send us the Chinese Park Avenue and the Ute as an El Camino to make up for the loss of the G8 exports. I could see Zeta replacing Sigma as Caddy's big RWD platform. It's just about as good as Sigma and being a cheaper platform would allow higher profit per car.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0