Opel Insignia Roars to Top of Mid-Size Class in Europe

opel_insignia_seite_hinten.jpg

2420421787_f146e41ab1.jpg

Europe’s Car of the Year 2009 is also European car buyers’ first choice: Thanks to the new Insignia’s spectacular market launch, Opel now leads the mid-size segment in Europe. In the first full quarter of Insignia sales, Opel surpassed all competition in the mid-size sedan segment in Europe. The start of sales in most European markets was in January. Due to the high demand for the new Opel flagship, three extra shifts will be added at the Rüsselsheim plant in May. Orders received have already topped the 100,000 mark.

“The Insignia is showing very good conquest potential, all the way to customers of classic premium brands,” says Alain Visser, Vice President Opel at General Motors Europe. “It is a symbol of our performance and ability – it shows what Opel can do.”

In Germany Opel saw strong gains in the mid-sized segment: Sales in the first quarter jumped 82 percent compared with the same period last year. The Insignia’s leading-edge technology is especially popular. “In this way, car for car, Opel can achieive higher margins with the Insignia than with its predecessor model. That’s very important for Opel’s future,” Visser adds.

Some 56 percent of buyers choose new-generation Adaptive Forward Lighting (AFL+) with nine functions. Another 80 percent of orders include the DVD navigation system with color display and 35 percent choose the FlexRide chassis system. Close to two-thirds of Insignia customers want to drive on the largest tire combination: 40 percent select 18-inch tires and every third buyer 17-inch tires. Every second buyer chooses the “Aktion gesunder Rücken” orthopedically certified seats. The most popular engine by far is the 160 hp 2.0 CDTI, ordered by every third customer. Finally, half the buyers opt for diesel engines.

The Insignia Sports Tourer, the station wagon version, now is premiering at dealerships throughout Europe and is projected to bring even more momentum to the Insignia family. The newest member, the low greenhouse gas emitting Insignia ecoFLEX, offers dynamic driving performance with low CO2 emissions of just 136 g/km. This reflects fuel consumption of 5.2 liters per 100 km. It will be on the markets this summer.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2009/05/01/459040.html

http://www.gmeurope.info/social_media_news...-in-Europe.html

Why can't stuff like this happen here? :nono: Edited by THTom

While I think the design of the Insignia/Regal is nice, I like the 2010 LaCrosse styling much better. Exactly how much smaller/narrower is the Insignia/Regal from the LaCrosse??

This is the information I found:

Opel Insignia:

* Wheelbase: 107.8 inches

* Length: 190.2 inches

* Width: 73.1

* Height: 59.0

2010 Buick LaCrosse:

* Wheelbase: 111.7 inches

* Length: 197.0 inches

* Width: 73.1

* Height: 58.9

If this information is correct, it looks like the major differences are in wheelbase and length. The Insignia looks to be a solid midsize entry while the 2010 LaCrosse (why doesn't GM just call this thing "Invicta" or "LeSabre"?) appears to approach large sedan territory.

Given the dimensions of these 2 Eps II sedans, I don't see any reason why the next gen Malibu can't be developed on the SWB version of Eps II. The Insignia appears to be wider and taller than the current Malibu (which is 70.3 inches wide and 57.1 inches high) while only being a little over an inch and a half shorter (the current Malibu is 191.8 inches long); the changes in the width and height should help alleviate the change in wheelbase (the current Malibu has a 112.3 inch wheelbase). This would leave room for Chevrolet to use the LWB version of Epsilon to develop a large FWD "Caprice" sedan. With a FWD LWB Eps II Caprice in the lineup, Chevrolet would be free to use the "Impala" name and logo on the smaller and lighter next gen Zeta based Commodore sedan. This Impala would be positioned as a lower volume sports sedan.

Edited by cire

Quite frankly, I think it's a better car than anything else GM has in the North American market in this segment.

Nah, it's a POS... it it had a twin nostrill grille though.... NG G6 EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for using your post to voice irony/sarcasm regarding the opinion most people on C&G have regarding Opel, but I just couldn't resist...

Well, due to the expectations European customers seem to have with their vehicles, of course this "big family car" will be better feeling, better driving, and exceptionally well equipped compared to anything that GM panders to U.S. customers.

This would have made an awesome Pontiac though. Especially with the high-performance engine. :(

IDK... it was easy to slap an 'Excitement' marketing sloan to the Pontiac brand, but GM never got that 'Excitement' = 'niche' (as it never understood SAAB's nature as a premium niche player), and never planned accordingly. Exactly which kinds of cars were supposed to be wearing a Pontiac badge? Affordable relatively stripped RWD sports cars? The equivalent to Opel's OPC? Wouldn't the Chevy SS lineup provide a better place for those OPC-like models?

GM's increasing brand identity mess during the last 30 years killed Oldsmobile, killed Pontiac and (perhaps) is now killing global GM as we've known it with SAAB being sold or shut down, Opel perhaps going away as well, and GMDAT looking for new money which can reduce GM's stake below 50%.

Edited by ZL-1

IDK... it was easy to slap an 'Excitement' marketing sloan to the Pontiac brand, but GM never got that 'Excitement' = 'niche' (as it never understood SAAB's nature as a premium niche player), and never planned accordingly. Exactly which kinds of cars were supposed to be wearing a Pontiac badge? Affordable relatively stripped RWD sports cars? The equivalent to Opel's OPC? Wouldn't the Chevy SS lineup provide a better place for those OPC-like models?

Really, I've always felt Pontiac has needed one, or two solid FWD vehicles, straddling the entry-lux/t category, similar to Acura. A car like this would have slotted in nicely, I think, as a G6, or something to that nature. FWD vehicles can be great performers and provide excitement; one only needs to look at Audi, or Honda's Prelude. A mix of FWD, and RWD vehicles offering great driving dynamics, and a reasonable price/performance ratio were what Pontiac should have been.

Buick needs this car now. If Pontiac had engineered cars that performed like this, they wouldn't have one foot in the grave.

QFT.

Really, I've always felt Pontiac has needed one, or two solid FWD vehicles, straddling the entry-lux/t category, similar to Acura. A car like this would have slotted in nicely, I think, as a G6, or something to that nature. FWD vehicles can be great performers and provide excitement; one only needs to look at Audi, or Honda's Prelude. A mix of FWD, and RWD vehicles offering great driving dynamics, and a reasonable price/performance ratio were what Pontiac should have been.

I understand and agree that FWD vehicles can be fun (I drive a MINI) but, again, wouldn't that fun be accomplished by Chevy SS models, in a more cost effective way and without having to sacrifice too much on styling? If you take Buick and SAAB as below-Cadillac brands, you could clearly separate the two even in a scenario of Buick=Opel. Would that have left enough breathing room for Pontiac, between the SS Chevies and a duo of well defined Buick and SAAB brands?

I confess I really have no answer to the questions I posted both on my posts (both above and this one): GM could have killed Saturn instead of Olds, GM could have left Buick have its turbo Regals and its performance image spill over to the rest of Buick's line at a time where Pontiac, besides the last Fieros and V8 Firebirds was not-that-much-Excitement... guess that at this point it's all 'GM could have done this' or 'GM could have done that'... let's just hope a new GM emerges, stronger and more focused.

While it's a nice car, I see no advantage to the Insignia over the Malibu and Lacrosse.

LaCrosse is much bigger and heavier than Insignia. I'm not interested in the LaCrosse, or any current Buick, but I would be interested in an Insignia-based Regal.

Edited by empowah

LaCrosse is much bigger and heavier than Insignia. I'm not interested in the LaCrosse, or any current Buick, but I would be interested in an Insignia-based Regal.

The last I heard was indeed GM was planning to bring Regal to slot beneath the LaCrosse. Since FH has made it public that Buick is profitable, it would be a suicide if the car is not brought sooner.

I'm speaking in terms of quality and refinement. The Insignia is not a "better" vehicle than a Lacross or Malibu...depending on pricepoint.

The Insignia is the best Epsilon car. Period.

*Engineering, features, perceived quality, et al etc.*

It offers the greatest breadth and depth of features, engines, and every other combination because of Europe's very unique and dynamic market.

Edited by MyerShift

tragedy how GM as a company could not have that car here in the US right now. GM never managed to figure out how to get some of its best cars here in its largest, home market.

Opel should supply the new Saturn with the new Astra and Insignia and give mother GM the collective 'FU'

as some reports go, GM will be selling Opel, but not opel designs. insignia, astra, meriva, zafira and co will stay with GM Europe, while Opel could be spun off. this would effectively kill GM's large presence in Europe and much of the rest of the world....but at least the designs and engineering stays, Chevrolet has already made some inroads into the europe, and vauxhall will be around. most importantly, some of the best cars GM produces will remain GM intellectual properties. so say some reports, here's hoping.

as some reports go, GM will be selling Opel, but not opel designs. insignia, astra, meriva, zafira and co will stay with GM Europe, while Opel could be spun off. this would effectively kill GM's large presence in Europe and much of the rest of the world....but at least the designs and engineering stays, Chevrolet has already made some inroads into the europe, and vauxhall will be around. most importantly, some of the best cars GM produces will remain GM intellectual properties. so say some reports, here's hoping.

If they keep the design and engineering, what would they be selling--just the brand? Like selling Saturn in NA?