turbo200

So...for the record...  

167 members have voted

1. 1. So...for the record...

• Awesome! Dodge, build it!
    • Pretty good retro, but it could be better
    • How about a modern coupe?
    • Ugh, no. Does it come with a mullet?

Wow, this thread has left me speechless. The "new" Challenger is definately too retro. I think DCX is trying to redeem itself after the purists got their panties in a twist over the new Charger. This will mainly appeal to those types of people, the ones who love to return to their glory days. I'm going to bet the majority of them do not want to see a modern interpretation of the Challenger. My dad was all hyped up about the GTO but when he finally saw it he lost all enthusiasm. Meanwhile, I would have laid $30,000 cash on my local dealer's table for one if I had the money. No doubt it's going to be one hell of a ride but the retro feel of it smacks you in the face and it doesn't feel so good. It's just too much. Like someone else said, I hope the Camaro is not retro. The Mustang is about as retro as I'll go. It looks good and even stands out in this age of bland auto design, it can be updated throughout the years and it looks modern. Edited by sciguy_0504

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest YellowJacket894
Ugh. I have mixed feelings on this. It's pretty cool for a retro car, but it's just too over done in a sense. To sum it up: A digitally remastered '70 Challenger in every aspect. It's in no way a look forward, but a shirtless throwback to when America was giving the finger to Honda.

And that's exactly what America needs to do in 2005 and beyond, anorexorcist. This car is guaranteed to sell without incentives. It's brutally sexy and I hope to God Dodge builds it as close to concept as possible, for the sake of the domestic automobile industry. I'm serious.

If we are to save ourselves we must return to what we do best... what the Asians cannot hope to copy.

Authentic American Iron is essential to any recovery.

Just like I said months ago in this forum, Americans have been buying trucks because they miss cars that have been built with the same confidence... RWD with available V8 power. Hell, even the editor in chief of Motor Trend magazine echoes my statement in this month's issue in an editorial. Hmmm... I wonder if Angus reads these forums?
Edited by ocnblu

And that's exactly what America needs to do in 2005 and beyond, anorexorcist.  This car is guaranteed to sell without incentives.  It's brutally sexy and I hope to God Dodge builds it as close to concept as possible, for the sake of the domestic automobile industry.  I'm serious.

If we are to save ourselves we must return to what we do best... what the Asians cannot hope to copy.

Just like I said months ago in this forum, Americans have been buying trucks because they miss cars that have been built with the same confidence... RWD with available V8 power.  Hell, even the editor in chief of Motor Trend magazine echoes my statement in this month's issue in an editorial.  Hmmm... I wonder if Angus reads these forums?

[post="46410"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

He's an Aussie, born and bred on RWD high-power cars from Holden and Ford. He got plopped down as an editor of M&T and thought, "Americans call these things cars?"

Guest YellowJacket894

And that's exactly what America needs to do in 2005 and beyond, anorexorcist.  This car is guaranteed to sell without incentives.  It's brutally sexy and I hope to God Dodge builds it as close to concept as possible, for the sake of the domestic automobile industry.  I'm serious.

Just like I said months ago in this forum, Americans have been buying trucks because they miss cars that have been built with the same confidence... RWD with available V8 power.  Hell, even the editor in chief of Motor Trend magazine echoes my statement in this month's issue in an editorial.  Hmmm... I wonder if Angus reads these forums?

I never said that was a bad thing. It's actually what America should have been doing in the late '90s: just not giving a God's honest damn about Toyota and Honda.

Actually, on second thought, they should have never gave a God's honest damn about Japan in the first place. I think that's why some people went to Japan in the first place: American automakers kept loosing what made them America when they got caught up in a product war with Japan in the late '70s. (And the oil crisis, yes, played a big factor.) Over time, trucks and SUVs essentally became what American cars used to be: Rear-drive with a big V8 as a cheap option; bold and brash to boot.

On third thought, that is fact.

The Challenger, however, still gives me mixed feelings. It is a good way to give a nice "'EFF YOU HONDA!" in very bold letters. And it's in no way a bad car either. I just sort of expect some sort of modernity in the styling. But I guess it's a good payoff: if you make a totally retro car based on the year the car died off or the generation that's best recognized and keep refining it, you may just get what the modern day version should be in due time.

Ah, it'll grow on me. Hell, I'm sort of in the mood to buy one now when I get the cash. Edited by anorexorcist

Wow, this thread has left me speechless.

This will mainly appeal to those types of people, the ones who love to return to their glory days.  I'm going to bet the majority of them do not want to see a modern interpretation of the Challenger.

[post="46387"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Maybe not in the more import friendly parts of the country, but in Middle America this thing will be a hit. I know plenty of kids from high school and college who would kill for something like this. Classic muscle is looked upon very fondly around here...in the summertime you'll see driveway after driveway with some old Detroit iron parked in it. My senior year in high school, the car voted best ride in our yearbook was a 1986 Monte Carlo SS, and the year before that was a 1969 Chevelle SS.

This is the type of car Detroit needs. That love it or hate it styling on the Mustang, 300, and Charger has garnered so much more attention for Ford and DCX than the forgettable styling on the GTO for GM. I like the GTO, but the styling is too jellybean for such a storied nameplate. Those three cars have brought back some mojo that Detroit lost in the 90s.

I think retro can be updated...just like classic designs evolved in the 70s due to changing technology, these modern iterations will evolve as we continue to advance in automobile design. I could think of half a dozen things that could be done to make the '05 Mustang look better, and I'm not even a professional designer. The way I see retro; it's a way to return to a nameplate's roots. The 4th gen Camaro wandered far astray into this long, awkward vehicle with extra long doors and the 4th gen Mustang was filled with fake scoops and stamped "Mustang" script in the bumper left over from the 80s. The new Mustang is much more true to Mustang heritage than the last generation, and sales are reflecting that.

And that's exactly what America needs to do in 2005 and beyond...

Just like I said months ago in this forum, Americans have been buying trucks because they miss cars that have been built with the same confidence... RWD with available V8 power....

Someone give this guy a job at GM and NOW!!!! :)

I think the front end really needs to change, it looks too old and wimpy when compared to the rest of the car and its size. Not that it's a bad car, it will certainly attract a lot of people, they just need to modernize it a little more, and give it a more aggressive look. The Dodge Charger on the other hand, is a beautiful car. The front end is very aggressive looking, and the whole body style, despite the 4 doors, looks like it's ready to charge. Throw-backs may be the only may for America to regain its lost footing in its own country. Give us some real tough looking, powerful cars and market it in the right way, and people will buy them.

I have been saving up for the new Camaro, so now if it dos'nt come I will buy the challenger. The GM ship is listing bad and I will push women and children out of the way to jump ship. The challenger rocks "Build It"

I second this, the main point most annylist keep bringing up is that american manufacterers are NOT building enough cars that americans want. point blank! Yes we are on a turnaround but yet is it too late? Maybe this type of product along with HHR,Solstice,mustang,Challenger and soon to be Camaro will energise the public into wanting American cars again.Not to mention injecting the new high tech hybrid mechanics to those styles and pushing the marketing to the edge.The perfection IS in this market for both sides of the coin. Edited by prototype66

At least they didn't put the truck grill on it. I would have preferred a 'Cuda, it's a way better name with a better reputation. I hope some smart company out there makes a new nose and tail kit to create a "new" 'Cuda. Edited by axoid

I'll reserve judgement until I see it in person, but I like what I've seen in the spy photos (on Autoweek) so far...the '70 Challenger has long been one of my favorite old cars (along with the '69-70 Mustang).

At least they didn't put the truck grill on it. I would have preferred a 'Cuda, it's a way better name with a better reputation.

I hope some smart company out there makes a new nose and tail kit to create a "new" 'Cuda.

[post="46676"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Damnit that's a great idea!!! I agree 100%. The Barracuda was a bettter looking car, wiht a better, longer and more rich & colorful history. Plus it could wear the Clipper ship as an homage to poor deceased Plymouth.

Perhaps if the Challenger does well the Cuda will follow under the Chrysler banner? :)

Aaaantoine:

I disagree about not being able to restyle retro. Like I have said a million times here's a glaring example of a retro car being restyled three times:
1993 Mustang: NOT RETRO

Posted Image
1994 Mustang:

Absolutely RETRO, every darn thing except for the headlights was retro!

Posted Image
1999 Mustang: RETRO but now it's more squared off and angular

Posted Image
2005 Mustang: BRAND NEW and yet still retro... redesigned again!

Posted Image

[post="46072"][/post]

The 90's Mustangs are retro? I wouldn't have known if you didn't tell me. They don't remind me of the original Mustang whatsoever.

The 2005 Mustang, by comparison, is far more heavily influenced by the original Mustang designs. Where could they go from there?

I can see some potential for a redesign of the New Beetle and PT Cruiser. There have been so many spy shots of supposedly redesigned Cruisers that just look like the current PT wearing camo. If DCX releases a significantly redesigned PT Cruiser in this year's auto shows, I'll retract my statement about retro design.

Once an automotive design staff's only purpose is to reproduce a 30-40 year old car to meet modern NHTSA standards, the Toyotas and Hondas of the world will suddenly be the most innovative designs in America.

Why doesn't the American auto industry just cut to the chase and have GM rebuild the 57 Eldorado Brougham as its "new" flagship?

*Sigh* There, I feel better now.

Yes... well Sixty8's weird. :P Those Mustangs are about as retro as the 05 GTO.

About the only retro aspects of the '94-04 Mustangs were the 3-segment taillights, side scoops, the dash shape, and the hood scoop on the later GTs (and the Mach 1). Not much otherwise. (The Bullitt and Mach 1 had some retro interior trim also..)

That said, I really like the '05-06 Mustangs... I'll probably get one eventually to go with my Big '80s style '87 GT and my old-school '69 Mach 1. (Need more garage space). Edited by moltar

The 90's Mustangs are retro?  I wouldn't have known if you didn't tell me.  They don't remind me of the original Mustang whatsoever.

There's a difference between lineage and retro. The Mustang has always had three-piece taillights (aside from the backup lights) and the "C" curve in the side and a pony. That's not retro...that lineage.

The 2005 Mustang, however, is retro. When you jump back to an old design in order to evoke the old styling, that's retro.

Don't confuse the two. The Mustang III and IV, not retro...Mustang V, most definitely retro.

Yes... well Sixty8's weird. :P Those Mustangs are about as retro as the 05 GTO.

[post="46714"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

BV: I proved to you using about seven different articles form 1993/1994 that the redesigned 94 Mustang WAS INDEED considered retro. It was considered retro by the design staff, FoMoCo, the Media & even the public.

Grille with the Pony in a coral

Side Scoops in the doors

Bar tail lights

Semi-Fast back Green-house

Creased fenders with wide rear quarters

Saying the Beetle is the first Retro car that started the trend is also 100%inaccurate since the Prowler came out a year earlier. (1997my)

BV: I proved to you using about seven different articles form 1993/1994 that the redesigned 94 Mustang WAS INDEED considered retro. It was considered retro by the design staff, FoMoCo, the Media & even the public.

Grille with the Pony in a coral

Side Scoops in the doors

Bar tail lights

Semi-Fast back Green-house

Creased fenders with wide rear quarters
Saying the Beetle is the first Retro car that started the trend is also 100%inaccurate since the Prowler came out a year earlier. (1997my)

[post="46755"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The SN95 was mildly retro compared to the new car..

There's a difference between lineage and retro. The Mustang has always had three-piece taillights (aside from the backup lights) and the "C" curve in the side and a pony. That's not retro...that lineage.

The 2005 Mustang, however, is retro. When you jump back to an old design in order to evoke the old styling, that's retro.

Don't confuse the two. The Mustang III and IV, not retro...Mustang V, most definitely retro.

[post="46754"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Fox cars ('79-93) didn't have the 3-element taillights, nor did most of them have even a pony emblem...they were the most non-retro/non-heritage styled of all Mustangs, IMHO...

The Mustang II had the 3-element lights, side scoops, pony in the grille, etc...but the Fox was a complete break with the past.. Edited by moltar

Good looking car - and so what if it's retro?    Classic American styling cues can only help the Big Three - certainly trying to out-Japanese the Japanese isn't going to cut it.

Each of the Big Three needs to play to its strengths, to produce iconic products that cannot be credibly copied by the imports.    The Mustang and the 300C do that, and so does the Challenger concept.  So does the HHR.

GM's move - to create an original iconic look - is commendable and has done wonders for Cadillac, but none of the art and science design cues have filtered done to the affordable car lines.

[post="46094"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thought I think it is TOO retro, I do have to agree with your comments.

[post="46755"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, in that case, blatant retro remake vehicles have been on the market for NINE years (instead of eight), and not one of them has been redesigned.

Hell, the current Silverado has been on the market for less time, WITH a reskin, and people are bitching that the new model can't come soon enough.

:P

Remember when I posted over half a dozen of articles like this? C&D and MT used the words Retro IIRC. The word nostalgic is also used often to describe the '94 & '99 restyles.

Review of the 2005 Stang describing the '94 Mustang as retro.

http://www.epinions.com/content_196980936324

Over the past 25 some-odd years, Ford has tried desperately to make their Mustang look and perform like the original '60s fastbacks. If I only had a penny for every time Ford used the word "retro" or "nostalgic" to describe one of its new Mustangs. Although Ford has once again used these words to describe their current gen. Mustang, this go-round Ford has succeeded at making the Mustang really look like a descendant of the original. The look of the new Mustang isn't the only thing that has changed;

Well, in that case, blatant retro remake vehicles have been on the market for NINE years...

That's why they make Chocolate & Vanilla. If you hate retro then get a GTO, I for one love the GTO but can't wait to buy a retro '69 Camaro. So there. :) Edited by Sixty8panther

I can't beleive this "too retro" "carbon copy" whatever are you guys too blind to see? I am more GM than most anybody here but let's face it "THE GENERAL" is putting out some pretty lame offering these days BTW GM we don't need the GTO in Canada that's OK scale down the production but don't let us a chance to buy one. Dodge has the guts to build this thing, guess what they can have my money, or maybe i should just wait for the Camaro to come back, oh let me think,,, that's right there is NO Camaro coming back, the show in Jan 8/06 where they MIGHT show some concept might being the key word here. Believe me i hope i eat crow over this post when GM show us the new Camaro, but as it stand right now i am sick and tired of waiting, so go ahead GM keep feeding us more minivans and new pickup. J-P

It's not even that I hate retro. My main beef with retro is that it has little to no potential for redesign. The 90's Mustangs had plenty of cues from the original Mustang. The 2005 Mustang was more like, "How can we make this look as much like the original Mustang as possible using modern tools?" The Challenger is an even greater extension of that. But what will happen 5, 10, 20 years down the line, when the companies can only do one of three things... 1. Redesign = updating the headlamps, taillamps, interior, and powertrain to keep up with market trends and NHTSA standards... 2. Redesign = complete overhaul of the design using modern design elements that can only be described as "Import-inspired" because they're the only companies left coming up with new designs... 3. Redesign = infeasible, as consumers have long ago lost interest in the product. It's just a bad idea long-term. The Chrysler 300 (another retro model) makes all sorts of sales now, but how will it be doing in 4 years? Hell, I bet this retro scheme is the auto industry's way of cutting costs in the design department.

I voted for a more modern aproach because I know they can do innovative and interesting design and I love to see them stretch out, BUT, I do like this car. Never saw a Mustang I would buy, but my all time fav muscle car was the Challenger. And wouldn't it be nice to have a muscle car that handles and stops like a vette instead of a tractor? That is one aspect that the new Mustang has addressed. Hopefully this Challenger can better that. Edited by heintz

[post="46754"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Hey, Sixty...read the above.

Plus it could wear the Clipper ship as an homage to poor deceased Plymouth.

[post="46703"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ewww...don't mention the P word in association with a car that could be both appealing and successful to at least four people. That brand skipped out on rightful death for like 30 years before Chrysler finally pulled the plug.

And wasn't the clipper badging simply used on the most recent Plymouths anyway? Certainly not something I'd want to recall.

I can't beleive this "too retro" "carbon copy" whatever are you guys too blind to see? I am more GM than most anybody here but let's face it "THE GENERAL" is putting out some pretty lame offering these days BTW GM we don't need the GTO in Canada that's OK scale down the production but don't let us a chance to buy one.
Dodge has the guts to build this thing, guess what they can have my money, or maybe i should just wait for the Camaro to come back, oh let me think,,, that's right there is NO Camaro coming back, the show in Jan 8/06 where they MIGHT show some concept might being the key word here.

Believe me i hope i eat crow over this post when GM show us the new Camaro, but as it stand right now i am sick and tired of waiting, so go ahead GM keep feeding us more minivans and new pickup.
J-P

[post="46793"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I have stated it before, if the Camaro comes out too retro, I will be one of those who will not buy it. I like forward, futuristic thinking in design, not out of any ideas styling.

It's funny how people on here bitch about retro, but also bitch about cars that are truly modern or futuristic (Prius, '06 Civic). Nothing seems to please some people on this board...

[post="46867"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, I am one of those guys that bought my 93 TA new when it came out in 93 because of the futuristic styling despite some of the major packaging problem the 4th gens brought to the table.

It's funny how people on here bitch about retro, but also bitch about cars that are truly modern or futuristic (Prius, '06 Civic). Nothing seems to please some people on this board...

[post="46867"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ah... See, now I have to choose my words carefully.

First off, I don't consider the Civic and Prius to be futuristic. I instead consider their design to be overtly Japanese. Round, bulbous silhouettes; a foot and a half of hood length; front and rear design with virtually no personality; if that's the future of design, then it's no wonder everyone's going retro.

I don't believe that they represent the future of design, though. Real trendsetters are Nissan/Infiniti (except the trucks), Cadillac, and most German brands. They are the Solstices and the Escalades and the G35s of the world. These are cars that you want to look at, that you'll sometimes look twice at. And they do it with an all-new design, with nothing retro about them.

The Prius is a car that you look twice at, not because of how good it looks, but because you want to confirm that something so ugly could be on the streets. In its style, the Prius is as much of an indicator of the future as the original Prius was in 1998. And wow, look at all those 1st Gen Prius clones out there... <_<

Ah... See, now I have to choose my words carefully.

First off, I don't consider the Civic and Prius to be futuristic.  I instead consider their design to be overtly Japanese.  Round, bulbous silhouettes; a foot and a half of hood length; front and rear design with virtually no personality; if that's the future of design, then it's no wonder everyone's going retro.

The way I look at it, the Prius and Civic hybrid are totally modern and futuristic--efficient monospaces that are both fuel efficient and clean... not sexy, necessarily, but vehicles that make sense environmentally...and they are advanced as far as the powertrains..not just the same-old, same-old engines but with the partial electric propulsion. GM's Ev-1 was futuristic in that respect as well. Edited by moltar

We don't all want to drive tall wagons......which would be the most efficient use of space for a vehicle. I also don't want to drive a wedge or a bloated jellybean, which is much of what Honda and Toyota seem to be designing for the "future".

I wasn't too sure what to think when I first saw the Challenger pictures. Then I started thinking about what it would be like owning one. Pull up to a valet in front of a restaruant in a black 2008 Dodge Challenger with a HEMI V8 and rumbling exhaust, and see the people's reaction when you open the door to a leather interior with a Navi system and 6 disc changer, white faced gauges, power seats, power moonroof.........and a 5 year warranty!! Who could not notice this car? Would that many people not buy it because they want that badly to fit into the Camcord scene?

BTW - here are some blown up pics:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by BrewSwillis

I wasn't too sure what to think when I first saw the Challenger pictures.  Then I started thinking about what it would be like owning one.  Pull up to a valet in front of a restaruant in a black 2008 Dodge Challenger with a HEMI V8 and rumbling exhaust, and see the people's reaction when you open the door to a leather interior with a Navi system and 6 disc changer, white faced gauges, power seats, power moonroof.........and a 5 year warranty!! Who could not notice this car?  Would that many people not buy it because they want that badly to fit into the Camcord scene?

[post="46940"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Interesting analysis, but I think I'd rather drive up in a Mustang or future Camaro than this. That's a reason why not to buy one.

So... I should believe what an article says when it proves your point... but not when one nitpicks/bashes a Cobalt or a Solstice? You've proved nothing. I thought I've explained that to you so many times before? If those Mustangs are retro... so is the 05 GTO because it has a twin-port grill (similar to 70-72), ram air hood scoops (64), horizontal headlights (64, 68-72), kinked rear side windows (68-72), spoiler (the Judge), and an ordinary body (all).

As Fly said, read that. That's what I've always said (just not using those terms).

But let's not argue about it... We'll get nowhere just like in the past.

It's funny how people on here bitch about retro, but also bitch about cars that are truly modern or futuristic (Prius, '06 Civic).  Nothing seems to please some people on this board...

It's not the retro designs that I dislike the most... it's the idea of copying a previous design when one isn't creative enough to come up with an original one. Some retro vehicles look great to me while some look truly awful. Same with modern/futuristic vehicles, but atleast they're original. All that and I just don't like the idea of going to the past for designs, copying or not. Just a personal thing, but I think designs should go with the times and advance rather than stepping back.

Anyways, my tastes are hard to understand. A vehicle just has to have a certain something for it to look good in my eyes. I'm not even sure what that is.... :D

I don't care if some people don't like "retro". Makes no difference to me at all. But let me tell you that when I first saw the HHR after the PT cruiser, I hated it. But now after the colors and the setting have changed, if I were shopping, the HHR would be at the top of my list. It's not the "retro", it's the style and the blending of lines. I got say it, so many cars go out of their way to not offend, they just do nothing for me. But if GM has any balls left, they will build a 69 Camaro and then to prve they have any level of testoterone, it is time for a 57 Chevy Nomad clone. I don't care what any of you say, I do want a car with tailfins, chrome and jet fighter exhausts. George Jetson had one and the future is now.

Excellent job DCX! One look and you have zero doubt regarding the make and model of this one. When the new GTO came out, everyone bitched that it didn't look like a GTO... Now this new Challenger looks like a modernized version of the old Challenger and many folks are still whining. Oh well... I love it and will buy one if they built it.

Well, at least Dodge proved they can build a car without resorting to using the Ram's grille. That's about all the positivty you're going to get out of me regarding this Challenger. Have all our designers lost every last bit of creativity, that we have to resort to recycling 35 year old designs? I really hope this doesn't seal the deal that any Camaro we get is going to be 1969 Part Deux, because I'll say right off the bat that I won't buy one. On the plus side Scott Settlemire has said that the supposed concept will pull from all previous Camaro designs, and Gm has a knack of doing heritage cues right (Corvette, 4th gen Camaro, arguably, the Monte)